Computer guys: another "How's this PC?" thread

Humans in space suits make monkeys nervous

Postby powderfinger » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:08 am

This weekend I'm ripping my PC apart and rebuilding it as an ITX system (NZXT H210i) with my 3600X and 3070. I will turn the existing Fractal Design R5 case with its current mobo, my old 2600X, and a slew of new hard drives into an unRAID server.

Really excited to finally get an unRAID server up, which I've been wanting to do for years. Although this is going to be a ton of work because my hardware recycling/allocation requires me to do both builds, reinstall Windows, get the server up, and move a ton of data all at once.

powderfinger

Postby rixx » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:10 am

Architecture wrote:You mean you didn’t line up to get an FE at Best Buy this morning

They fucking sent cards to Midland. Closest to Austin was Cedar Park.

lol nah people were camped out since yesterday. and there's like zero reason i need that card anyway, i just thought i'd try the EVGA Elite thing just for the hell of it, Lowercase Tea told me about it like a month ago. but like everything else with this generation it's a complete disaster

rixx

Postby jca » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:54 pm

powderfinger wrote:This weekend I'm ripping my PC apart and rebuilding it as an ITX system (NZXT H210i) with my 3600X and 3070. I will turn the existing Fractal Design R5 case with its current mobo, my old 2600X, and a slew of new hard drives into an unRAID server.

Really excited to finally get an unRAID server up, which I've been wanting to do for years. Although this is going to be a ton of work because my hardware recycling/allocation requires me to do both builds, reinstall Windows, get the server up, and move a ton of data all at once.

that sounds very sick

jca

Postby rixx » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:39 am

Can someone help me? I bought new lian li tower and I’m transferring everything from my old computer right now…I’m wondering if there is a difference in installing my GPU to my second PCIe slot? The motherboard is a b550-f. my huge noctua nh-D15 fan is kinda sitting right next to the first pcie slot and makes it difficult to access, so I was thinking about using the second one. But here are the b550-f specs

1 x PCIe 4.0 x16 SafeSlot (x16) [CPU]
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slot (x4) [CHIPSET]
3 x PCIe 3.0 x1 slots [CHIPSET]

Is PCIe 3.0 x16 (x4) a step down, would I see decreased performance from that?

rixx

Postby swamp angel » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:54 am

i doubt you'll notice a difference. it doesn't seem like GPUs can practically take advantage of the extra bandwidth of PCIe4 yet.

what lian li case did you go with?

swamp angel

Postby rixx » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:02 am

Nvm I got it to fit into the first slot with some finagling. Went with Lancool II Mesh in black, it’s not much bigger than my old case but seems so much more spacious and organized inside, I really like it

rixx

Postby powderfinger » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:38 am

nice

Got most of my hardware shuffling done over the weekend. NZXT case is really nice. Smaller build was definitely more of a challenge, mainly because the SFX PSU's cables were ridiculously short. Seriously took me almost a half an hour of fumbling to connect it to the mobo and CPU headers. I probably ought to get a small-ish AIO cooler because my Cooler Master Hyper 212's fan is currently being held in place by a stick of RAM lol. Little concerned about GPU thermals, but haven't had a chance to really dig into it yet.

Unraid was very easy to get going. I'm going to have an array of 6x8tb drives (with one being the parity drive, so ~40TB of protected storage), a 500gb cache drive, and two of my existing storage drives used outside the array for torrent seeding and other stuff that doesn't need to be parity-protected. Although I haven't been able to do anything with it yet because it's taking like three days to test and zero the new drives. I was relieved that my old X470 mobo can boot without a GPU, although I'll probably end up putting in a cheapo fanless GPU for hardware transcoding.

powderfinger

Postby all day breakfast » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:33 am

standard SFX cables are always a nightmare somehow. either stupid lengths for what you need them for, or with the higher end PSUs like Corsair you get ones with loads of daisy chained connectors you don't need, that you have to try and shove out of the way somewhere.

experimentally tried fitting my 3080 into my smaller case this weekend and was surprised to find it actually went in once i took the backplate off. temps are somehow better than in my bigger case?? i will never go back to anything bigger than ITX

all day breakfast

Postby shizaam » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:22 am

Been using laptops and pretty generic displays at work for years, and feel like I haven’t looked at monitor specs in over a decade and am just totally over my head (and generally used an old Mac Cinema Display) with all the advances. I do a little bit of gaming, lots of photo editing.. probably no need for 4K. was looking at wirecutter, is something like Asus ProArt Display PA278CV worth it?

shizaam

Postby gallits » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:53 am

that looks cool af.

gallits

Postby powderfinger » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:41 am

Fuckin all three hard drives I was pre-testing and zeroing for phase one of my Unraid server - which took three days - failed the test. Seems unlikely all three drives are bad, or that all three SATA cables are bad, so it probably means I need to run memtest for a couple days to see if my RAM is bad, and then run a whole new cycle of testing/clearing on the drives. Dying without my Plex server running.

powderfinger

Postby jca » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:18 am

that looks really nice all day breakfast. is the cpu/cooler near the bottom or is that it on the right side?

jca

Postby all day breakfast » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:04 am

it's an aio with the radiator mounted on the bottom

dont think it's ideal to have it on the bottom but it seems happy enough, and way way quieter and cooler than the low profile fan I had on it initially

all day breakfast

Postby Lowercase Tea » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:16 pm

RIXX wrote:
Architecture wrote:You mean you didn’t line up to get an FE at Best Buy this morning

They fucking sent cards to Midland. Closest to Austin was Cedar Park.

lol nah people were camped out since yesterday. and there's like zero reason i need that card anyway, i just thought i'd try the EVGA Elite thing just for the hell of it, Lowercase Tea told me about it like a month ago. but like everything else with this generation it's a complete disaster

Oh man, yeah. I tried doing it too and ended up signing up at like 11am. We’ll see if the 3070 to launch is any better since a couple friends need cards too.
Lowercase Tea

Postby broodstar » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 pm

hello i dont know if there's a workstation thread but i just needed to post the shit i got going on

this is the worst setup i think i've ever used and i don't think you wanna even know what's going on with all my cords

broodstar

Postby can » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:01 am

are any of the cords a tlc tugger

can

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:39 am

thinking about getting an external monitor for my wfh setup. I do data admin/IT stuff, and I used to have a dual-monitor setup at my old work and found it super helpful. I'm wondering if a single larger monitor would function essentially the same? Or does having the 2 monitors make a big difference as far as keepijng stuff separated smoothyl? Often need to reference one thing when typing in another, etc
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Robert » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:47 am

I would say one big monitor would be fine as long as you use window snapping or a tiling window manager

Robert

Postby powderfinger » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:53 am

I prefer my WFH setup of laptop screen + 34" ultrawide to my old office setup of dual 27" monitors.

powderfinger

Postby an otter uh otter uh otter uh o » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:04 pm

I've got an ultrawide and I personally prefer two separate monitors for work. You'll get more overall real estate with two standard 27" monitors for probably a price similar to an ultrawide, you wont need to worry about managing window tiling and all that, and two separate monitors gives you the option to make one vertical.

Also when you're just in a single window you don't end up using your extra real estate, because most websites, apps, etc. are designed for the standard 16:9 screen:
https://i.imgur.com/HHgkrGp.jpeg vs. https://i.imgur.com/d7rt0yQ.png

If you do go the ultrawide route, I use Sizer and it helps getting windows to the size I want without constant struggle.
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ

an otter uh otter uh otter uh o

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:51 pm

hmm yeah good points. i also realized my desk is 55" and i have 2 audio monitors on the sides, so i'll need to figure out what size monitors i can even fit on there
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby churrokbyme » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:26 pm

clean build ABD, nice!!
hideout wrote:i think the problem is that the founding fathers were all really hot, so protections for hot people are ingrained in the constitution

churrokbyme

Postby bluestoy » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:33 pm

This is my workstation now. I’m getting some bookends soon but what I really need are shelves.

"You have to accept the fact that sometimes you are the pigeon, and sometimes you are the statue." -Claude Chabrol

bluestoy

Postby jca » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:29 pm

*battlestation

jca

Postby iambic » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:50 pm

nice elite controller, all day breakfast

iambic

Postby broodstar » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:05 pm

re: gamer pc peripherals and my case being extremely stupid:

someone once asked me why i had a radiator in my room

broodstar

Postby powderfinger » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:13 pm

I used to have an Antec Nine Hundred that gleamed bright blue way back in 2009 when RGB was not yet a thing and it always fascinated any professional who came to my apartment. One asked if I worked for NASA.

I just wanted a lot of hard drive bays!

powderfinger

Postby all day breakfast » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:00 am

iambic wrote:nice elite controller, all day breakfast

now used more or less exclusively for games of halo 3 :oops:

all day breakfast

Postby powderfinger » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:21 am

Having a lot of fun with this Unraid server now that the agonizingly long process of migrating 12TB of data at average write speeds of ~30MB/s is finally over (don't buy SMR drives, christ). Got Sonarr and Radarr working in concert with qBittorent and Plex for semi-automated torrenting. Set up Pi-hole for network-wide adblocking. Next I need to dig into various VPN stuff and configuring access from outside my home network.

Definitely recommended as a fun and useful project for old hardware.

powderfinger

Postby all day breakfast » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:31 am

Hi,

This email is to notify you that there has been a change to your notification queue status. You previously signed up to be notified when 10G-P5-3881-KR became available, but due to ongoing product availability, you have been moved to the notification queue for 10G-P5-3881-KL, which features NVIDIA LHR. These cards offer the same gaming performance, but with reduced cryptomining performance (Ethereum). The products are identical in every other way. To learn more about NVIDIA LHR, click here.

EVGA has taken these steps to increase availability and speed up the queue for gamers looking to purchase a graphics card. Your notification queue position remains the same. However, if you wish to remain in the notification queue for 10G-P5-3881-KR you may "opt out " of this move; you will be once again placed back in the notification queue with your previous sign-up time. Please note that EVGA strongly recommends against opting out, because there is no ETA for availability and no guarantee that your order will be fulfilled for your original part number. Moreover, once you opt out, you may neither request to be placed back in the queue for 10G-P5-3881-KL, nor request an order notification for 10G-P5-3881-KL; you may only be in one queue at a time.

lol i think i signed up for this the day after the cards were first announced and haven't heard a peep about it since until this

all day breakfast

PreviousNext

Return to The Hot Zone