Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:48 pm

the don cicco & figli c3 has really grown on me over the past month or so. it's really shines when you add a little seltzer!
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby hoopdog » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:24 pm

it's sooooo gooooood. thanks again for the bottle, churrokbyme!
hoopdog
ride.

Postby howiep » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:30 pm

Got a bottle of this a few weeks ago and it was real nice with soda water. Sweeter than I was expecting, but still nice. Slightly bitter, heavy licorice flavors, but mostly sweet.
howiep

Postby Barthes Starr » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:27 pm

last weekend i was at a liquor store in the hamptons where i saw some guy doing a tasting with an amaro that on first glance i thought was forthave, so i went over and mentioned that i love forthave, but then he was like "oh uh this is...the other amaro made in brooklyn......i started the company with my brother...."
oops :lol:

anyways it was ok, tasted like gingerbread cookies
Barthes Starr

Postby Ted Pikul » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:29 pm

landspeedrecord wrote:the don cicco & figli c3 has really grown on me over the past month or so. it's really shines when you add a little seltzer!

Gonna try this tonight
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby churrokbyme » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:59 pm

glad folks are enjoying the c3!

Barthes Starr wrote:you gotta make a pseudo-negroni with those three and report back

Yo so I did this (badass suggestion btw! thanks!). The resulting cocktail was good but it was sort like les claypool and buckethead in a band together - all three spirits are centerpieces in their own right so I feel negroni was a bit of a waste using those three. because the amaro is significantly higher proof and distinct I did a 1:1:.5 ratio instead of the traditional equal parts. I also added 2 drops of saline to bring it all together.

Ultimately, I'm in love with all of the forthave product thus far and I think I prefer them individually or as the sole centerpiece of a cocktail. The amaro is excellent on its own with a big rock. The apertivo is delicious on its own and would be an excellent campari sub for any cocktail but right now i just fill up a double rocks glass with cubes and a twist of lemon and read on the sunning chairs on the roof.

The gin, in my opinion, is the absolute standout of the three products. Unfiltered, somehow simultaneously robust and delicate. It's so damn good you can drink it room temp out of a champagne flute, which is how I first encountered it at contra.

I find it's wasted as a negroni gin when mixed with dark flavors. Definitely shines in a tom collins or a gimlet where the watermelon rind/persian cucumber/florals can shine.
churrokbyme

Postby Franco » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:07 pm

awesome post churro. forgive me but i think Oysterhead might've been cleaner to use there, being three ways.
Franco

Postby Barthes Starr » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:52 pm

a+ report, churro
Barthes Starr

Postby bluemovers » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:37 pm

i was in louisville last weekend for a quick guys trip, and though we focused a lot on bourbon/brandy/beer, we did make it to Butchertown Grocery/Lola for drinks, and they were slinging some pretty spectacular amaro-forward cocktails (including one that had a 'bone marrow washed sherry'). i spent/drank way too much, but it was well worth it.

i also bought this super cheap bottle of Amaro CioCiaro expecting it to be horrid and it's surprisingly great. and like $20. one big cube and a splash of soda and it's perfect on these 100 degree days.
bluemovers

Postby churrokbyme » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:49 pm

Barthes Starr wrote:last weekend i was at a liquor store in the hamptons where i saw some guy doing a tasting with an amaro that on first glance i thought was forthave, so i went over and mentioned that i love forthave, but then he was like "oh uh this is...the other amaro made in brooklyn......i started the company with my brother...."
oops :lol:

anyways it was ok, tasted like gingerbread cookies

lulz. I wonder if the guy is salty because agrestis has been out for a couple years now and forthave already seems to be have better distribution and more hype especially amoung industry folk.

The forthave amaro is definitely on a different level (a level more in line with my personal tastes) , the agrestis is heavier, sweeter, more tonic like.
churrokbyme

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:11 pm

wario lopez wrote:love vermouth. i think my favorite currently is vermouth perucchi from spain. i've been drinking more spanish than italian recently. some of the sherry based ones are wonderful.

here are the books:
amaro: http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/Cpk8mjg1/file.html
sherry: http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/LLou6VRR/file.html
spritz: http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/DjZ8FXQj/file.html

hi there. I was wondering if you could possibly reup these, the sherry book by talia baiocchi in particular. cheers!!
landspeedrecord

Postby wario lopez » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:32 pm

they should be on the dropbox under cookbooks now
Mild High Basketball
wario lopez
ok

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 pm

cool thx
landspeedrecord

Postby churrokbyme » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:31 pm

a couple of notes from a recent session with landspeed and franco at amor y amargo

another take on campari from a distillery in DC

grain spirit base. Sweet and cider spices up front, dry citrusy finish. Bit of a mixed bag for me, I'm not as into it being sweeter than campari up front but I really like the finish - seville orange, slightly dry, and more pronouced bitter than campari.

Suprised to find this is a wine based amari. The most bitter amari I've ever tasted, probably the most bitter spirit I've ever tasted but it's been about five years since the last time I had a malort so I would have to do a side by side to make that claim. D'ell erborista tastes like candy after you've had this.

As a kid when I found out dandelion greens were edible I went out into the backyard to try them. The experience of this amaro would be analogous If instead of nibbling on the leaves I had pulled up the whole plant by its roots and then eaten the whole thing in one bite. After a few sips the palate becomes slightly acclimated and you can taste the other things going on - resinous herbs, sage, palo santo, rosemary twig. It's a unique amari at a good price with a pretty label by a famous producer but it's like those hot sauces that lose something in the arms race to have over a million scoville units of heat. Definitely an after dinner amaro, a bartender with great restraint and a light touch could probably make something interesting with it but I think it will remain a curiosity for me.
churrokbyme

Postby Franco » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:45 pm

Thanks for that because I’ve been trying to remember the name of that Capitoline since the other night
Franco

Postby Franco » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:50 pm

On something of a small holiday up near Woodstock and picked up a bottle of Amaro CioCiaro for sipping because that’s all they had. It’s good but too sweet and keeps my streak of personally owning only entry-level Amaros intact.
Franco

Postby futurist » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:58 pm

i loooove Novasalus
futurist

Postby Barthes Starr » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:54 am

churrokbyme wrote:
Barthes Starr wrote:you gotta make a pseudo-negroni with those three and report back

Yo so I did this (badass suggestion btw! thanks!). The resulting cocktail was good but it was sort like les claypool and buckethead in a band together - all three spirits are centerpieces in their own right so I feel negroni was a bit of a waste using those three. because the amaro is significantly higher proof and distinct I did a 1:1:.5 ratio instead of the traditional equal parts. I also added 2 drops of saline to bring it all together.

Ultimately, I'm in love with all of the forthave product thus far and I think I prefer them individually or as the sole centerpiece of a cocktail. The amaro is excellent on its own with a big rock. The apertivo is delicious on its own and would be an excellent campari sub for any cocktail but right now i just fill up a double rocks glass with cubes and a twist of lemon and read on the sunning chairs on the roof.

The gin, in my opinion, is the absolute standout of the three products. Unfiltered, somehow simultaneously robust and delicate. It's so damn good you can drink it room temp out of a champagne flute, which is how I first encountered it at contra.

I find it's wasted as a negroni gin when mixed with dark flavors. Definitely shines in a tom collins or a gimlet where the watermelon rind/persian cucumber/florals can shine.

went to blue hill last night with my mom who is visiting and wanted to treat me to a bday meal.
turns out they've got something called a 'new york negroni' on the menu, except it doesn't exactly specify ingredients other than 'stone barns vermouth.' ordered it and was absolutely floored by how good it was, so i asked our waiter what was up with it.

turns out they're using the forthave gin and red alongside their homemade vermouth!
one of the best cocktails i've had in a minute tbh.
Barthes Starr

Postby Barthes Starr » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:55 am

also stopped by Existing Conditions beforehand and was impressed
Barthes Starr

Postby howiep » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:09 pm

Just bought a bottle of Amaro Sfumato Rabarbaro this past week and wow, that stuff is amazing. Haven't done any mixing with it yet, but highly enjoyable on its own. Wow.
howiep

Postby Franco » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:54 pm

I ordered Forthave Red on the rocks tonight. First time trying it. For me it was like a vegetal, pepper (black and bell) blast. The description I see is chamomile and rose. Am I nuts for having a completely different experience with it ?

Liked it though!
Franco

Postby Franco » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:05 pm

Fuck, Sibilla is exactly the flavor I’ve been chasing for a year
Franco

Postby Hal Jordan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:07 pm

There is a liquer sold as far as i can tell in only coloroda

Called tingal

That shit is crazy
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby Ted Pikul » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:08 pm

I picked up a bottle of Bigallet today and the guy got really excited because no one had ever bought one before
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Ted Pikul » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:21 pm

All weekend I've been mixing 3/4oz amaro with a dash of bitters and topping it with Prosecco and it is divine

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby buboclot » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:10 pm

did a simple whiskey soda highball with like a 2/3 oz of braulio and a lemon twist and holy shit, new classic for me.
buboclot

Postby Franco » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:46 pm

Is it highball season? Today for me was rolling on single malt scotch, ciociaro, dry lemon soda, and bitters
Franco

Postby bluemovers » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:45 pm

damn i have prosecco and nonino and it hadn’t occurred to me to mix the two
bluemovers

Postby Ted Pikul » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:11 am

bluemovers wrote:damn i have prosecco and nonino and it hadn’t occurred to me to mix the two

It's so good. The Prosecco brings out the flavor of the amaro in a really full way

I tried it with benedictine, china-china, cynar, c3, st. Germain, and ramazotti. used orange bitters each time

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Ted Pikul » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:13 am

(I know not all of those are Amari)

Ted Pikul
DARE.

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....