Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby kid8 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:03 pm

an enlarger lol. :lol:
There is a place that we both know. It lives in our hearts, we built it together.

kid8
killer

Postby Happy and Healthy! » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:04 pm

Yeah I immediately regretted suggesting that

Why not get one of those fun vintage film cameras?

Happy and Healthy!

Postby Happy and Healthy! » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:04 pm

But seriously developing and printing was so much goddamnned fun

Happy and Healthy!

Postby kid8 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:07 pm

i remember. i was really good at it, my teachers loved me and every time it was my turn to show my work everyone would get real quiet.
There is a place that we both know. It lives in our hearts, we built it together.

kid8
killer

Postby Macgregor » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:26 pm

So I've fucked around and bought a used X-Pro2 as well as the 23mm 1.4 prime and the 10-24mm zoom lenses

While I'm burning money, what are some good resources for all the best/essential accessories for that setup? I'm thinking of getting a decent ND filter with a step-up filter to use across the lenses, as well as probably a strap of some kind and something to put it all in

Macgregor

Postby shizaam » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:52 pm

Macgregor wrote:So I've fucked around and bought a used X-Pro2 as well as the 23mm 1.4 prime and the 10-24mm zoom lenses

While I'm burning money, what are some good resources for all the best/essential accessories for that setup? I'm thinking of getting a decent ND filter with a step-up filter to use across the lenses, as well as probably a strap of some kind and something to put it all in

i really like this peak design bag for my xt2, a few lenses, sd cards, and other little essentials. it's a nice balance, and even fully loaded it's totally fine lugging around for a day of shooting (+ it's nice you can throw it on your hips if you want) https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/ ... ay-sling-5 i have the peak strap as well, and it's... fine? I like my thin leather strap that I got for my x100s a few years ago much more.

shizaam

Postby Fullscreen » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:17 pm

So I sprang for a tamron 17-50 for apsc, paired with a viltrox x0.71 speed booster for my G7. Really liking the combination so far, not seeing a downside to the viltrox over the much more expensive metabones.

Given the alternatives this really seems like the best and cheapest route to a fast 24-70 equivalent for micro 4/3. Not as fast as those sigma art lenses but still equivalent to f2 with the speedbooster. Autofocus is supposedly twitchy with the adapter ring but i don't use AF much in my still photography, and not at all for video. AF isn't great on this generation of lumix cameras even with their best native lenses.

Anyway I think this combo makes a lot of sense if you're in m4/3 and looking for bargain glass, would recommend.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart

Fullscreen

Postby dcm » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:13 pm

I will stan for that Tamron til I'm in the ground.

Think I'm gonna try and sell off my x100f in the next few months and move to an xpro2 or 3 depending on what the latter looks like later this month. Seems kind of silly right now but I'm a sucker for nostalgic design and the rangefinder form factor is > the squarish xt2/3 for me.

I just want a sharp modern wide zoom, the xf80mm for nature shit, and the freedom to fuck around with vintage primes for portraiture.

dcm

Postby shizaam » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:15 pm

dcm wrote:I will stan for that Tamron til I'm in the ground.

Think I'm gonna try and sell off my x100f in the next few months and move to an xpro2 or 3 depending on what the latter looks like later this month. Seems kind of silly right now but I'm a sucker for nostalgic design and the rangefinder form factor is > the squarish xt2/3 for me.

I just want a sharp modern wide zoom, the xf80mm for nature shit, and the freedom to fuck around with vintage primes for portraiture.

that xpro3 design is kind of wild. think i'll sell my xt2, don't really love the form factor either. so if prices drop on the pro2, might get that, but not sure yet. x-e3 seems pretty great too.

shizaam

Postby dcm » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:23 pm

Yeah the screen thing is something that intuitively appeals to me but not sure it wouldn't prove a huge pain in practice. I don't think it's fully articulated so in-camera editing seems like it could be tough and that'd be a major drawback.

Also the Q button placement seems questionable but it's the same on the xpro2 I think and I haven't seen any gripes iirc.
Last edited by dcm on Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dcm

Postby powderfinger » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:24 pm

Macgregor wrote:So I've fucked around and bought a used X-Pro2 as well as the 23mm 1.4 prime and the 10-24mm zoom lenses

I have found a soft release button to be an essential little accessory for my Fuji cameras. Sadly they are easy to lose, but at least they're cheap.

powderfinger

Postby jubjub » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:10 am

brittle wrote:did anybody snag a 100 dollar a6000 on prime day? i just now read about it.

I did, just got in a few days ago. The learning begins.
alaska wrote:what year is it at the end

jubjub

Postby Seamus » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:03 pm

hi board, whats a good cheap film camera for a novice who mainly wants to fuck about with it on their holidays or whatever? needs to be fairly small too. something like a pentax k1000?
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby table for one » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:08 pm

nikon fm and canon ae1 are good alternatves to the pentax

table for one

Postby table for one » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:10 pm

i keep an fm2 in my lineup they made really solid glass for it so u can always level up.

table for one

Postby dcm » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:44 pm

So my brother is getting married next month in a very small ceremony that's going to take place in his future sister-in-law's living room. He's asked me to do photography for it and has even offered to pay for off-camera lighting solutions. I'm a total novice in this realm and don't know what might be optimal. Anyone have suggestions? In all likelihood I'll be using my x100f.

I can post a pic of the room later but it's not very big. Intuitively it seems like anything more than 1-2 small strobes would be overkill, but again, iunno

dcm

Postby Fullscreen » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:21 pm

Having a particular issue with my G7/Viltrox/Tamron combo. Using the zoom locks up the body and display, both while recording and in live view. I have to eject the battery to reset the camera. It's random, but consistent enough that I can't really use the adapter anymore.

So far I've found nothing online addressing this, though the GH5 has a similar fault with Metabones with a documented workaround. I have tried the Viltrox on my GH2 with no issues, only the G7 is a problem.

If you all know any good lumix resources for troubleshooting this I'd appreciate it.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart

Fullscreen

Postby baleen » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:43 pm

jubjub wrote:
brittle wrote:did anybody snag a 100 dollar a6000 on prime day? i just now read about it.

I did, just got in a few days ago. The learning begins.

$100 for an a6000 is an insane deal. wow. i missed this, have an a6500 (sony replaced my "jumped in a lake with it" a6000 w a 6500 for like $180 so, okay) but i'd drop $100 just to have a backup body and i'm just a jerk who carries a camera around.
The answer is simple: artisanship.

baleen

Postby AdamThomas » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:56 am

new scanners are not kind to film sux

AdamThomas

Postby Happy and Healthy! » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:05 am

How so

Happy and Healthy!

Postby AdamThomas » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:54 am

AdamThomas

Postby Happy and Healthy! » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:33 pm

I thought that was always the case

Happy and Healthy!

Postby quinine » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:39 pm

just for isos above 800. which is what I used to usually shoot so I always opted out then they bomb-swab it, instead. I assume that's still an option?
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself

quinine
ok

Postby hopped » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:41 pm

it used to be only high speed film (>ISO800) that would be fucked up by airport x rays, looks like that's no longer the case

got given a busted designjet 500 42" printer and got it back up and running for about $400 in parts, i'm scanning now at 4000dpi with a nikon coolscan 5000, printed some 35mm scans at 40x60 and they look fucking amazing, grain comes through without any digital artifacting, super impressive.

hopped

Postby AdamThomas » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:37 am

hopped wrote:it used to be only high speed film (>ISO800) that would be fucked up by airport x rays, looks like that's no longer the case

got given a busted designjet 500 42" printer and got it back up and running for about $400 in parts, i'm scanning now at 4000dpi with a nikon coolscan 5000, printed some 35mm scans at 40x60 and they look fucking amazing, grain comes through without any digital artifacting, super impressive.

Great post.

Sounds kinda funny but can you show us the setup and a photo print? My buddy HiRes has some scanners that he’s perfecting including a Nikon 5000 (methinks). Kinda amazing to have a setup that’s “super impressive” for film at home...I haven’t been shooting film much since I moved back from Asia because of price but a good setup would sure make the difference.

AdamThomas

Postby hopped » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:18 pm

hilariously the only digital camera i have right now is the webcam on my laptop so not really. i'm having a show in LA next month that should have some good documentation so if i remember i'll post them here. really leaning into the luddite life.

realistically the cost is still pretty ridiculous, even though the printer was free (+ a belt ($100), carriage repair($40), all new printheads (~$60/set for expired) and ink($40/color)), a 39' roll of 36" cotton rag is ~$300, 42" canon or HP archival matte paper are not much cheaper. and the printer is really finicky, for each successful print that i get i probably average at least 2 that fail for a variety of reasons (sometimes no discernable reason!!). a 30x45 lustre print from nations is only $30 when they're having a sale so it's mostly a hobby thing/wanting very large matte/cotton rag prints for shows. on the other hand, the ability to really dial in test strips, paper, color profiles etc. really makes the final product a lot better. or at least i tell myself that.

there's honestly no comparison between a dedicated strip film scanner and a flatbed to me, the strip scanner is just miles better in capturing what you see when looking at a slide under a loupe or microscope. i'm sure a $10k imacon drum would be even better but lmao. you can get a good used coolscan 5000 for ~1k on ebay

here's some full crop of scans of some iso800 35mm film (top one shot on a 350mm cassegrain lens, bottom on 50mm prime):

hopped

Postby AdamThomas » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:09 pm

hopped wrote:hilariously the only digital camera i have right now is the webcam on my laptop so not really. i'm having a show in LA next month that should have some good documentation so if i remember i'll post them here. really leaning into the luddite life.

realistically the cost is still pretty ridiculous, even though the printer was free (+ a belt ($100), carriage repair($40), all new printheads (~$60/set for expired) and ink($40/color)), a 39' roll of 36" cotton rag is ~$300, 42" canon or HP archival matte paper are not much cheaper. and the printer is really finicky, for each successful print that i get i probably average at least 2 that fail for a variety of reasons (sometimes no discernable reason!!). a 30x45 lustre print from nations is only $30 when they're having a sale so it's mostly a hobby thing/wanting very large matte/cotton rag prints for shows. on the other hand, the ability to really dial in test strips, paper, color profiles etc. really makes the final product a lot better. or at least i tell myself that.

there's honestly no comparison between a dedicated strip film scanner and a flatbed to me, the strip scanner is just miles better in capturing what you see when looking at a slide under a loupe or microscope. i'm sure a $10k imacon drum would be even better but lmao. you can get a good used coolscan 5000 for ~1k on ebay

here's some full crop of scans of some iso800 35mm film (top one shot on a 350mm cassegrain lens, bottom on 50mm prime):

Awesome. You should PM me deets of your show...I'm not out there but friends are and I can tell 'em about it.

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to having film be more a part of my life soon again.

AdamThomas

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....