Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby wolfie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:27 am

Like if you have access to a functioning darkroom that you don’t have to setup from scratch every time you wanna use it, that’s great. Of course those are few and far between, and even if you have one locally I hope you have the free time to go there and use it. For me it’s just impossible. I’ve given up on film. Maybe some time when I don’t have a hundred other things to do.
אחד

"our in-toilet cameras show people are shitting all over these toilets"

wolfie

Postby shizaam » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:58 pm

had some canon SLR gear, but pretty much stopped using it altogether when i got an x100s a couple years ago. upgraded to the x100f when it came out (and love it), and at this point looking at either the x-t2 or x-e3 and going the fuji lens route (x-h1 just seems too big).

shizaam

Postby viachicago » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:46 pm

dcm wrote:Anyone got a printer rec?

depends how much youre willing to spend and how big you wanna go. i bought an Epson Stylus Pro 3880 a few years ago which produces absolutely beautiful images. i love working with it and really hasnt given me any issues, but wasnt exactly cheap. im sure its been discontinued since then too, so im not sure what the current options look like.

viachicago

Postby Cone » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Finally got a slider and Syrp Genie. V stoked to do some sick moco timelapses. I’ve had the pan head for almost a year now but never used it because locked down pans are boring but man these things are the best.

Cone

Postby Cone » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:07 pm

Also the M50 looks p neat for the price

All my lenses are EF mount so if I go Fuji I’d have to get adapters but all my lenses are also shit. Still feeling pretty sold on the XT-2

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2018/2/25/17046370/canon-m50-mirrorless-specs-price-release-date

Cone

Postby Buddy Glass » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:23 pm

I snagged a new x100f for $1199 shipped on Amazon last week. It only shipped today, but damn I'm excited. I've used it already cause I rented one for a work trip a couple months back and haven't stopped thinking about getting one ever since.

Right now I have (largely sitting around collecting dust) a 5Dmk2, 5Dmk3, and an a7s mk1. I'm tempted to sell all of them except for maybe the 5Dmk3. Part of me feels like I should hold on to the a7s instead, but I have constant access to an a7s mk2 + Atomos recorder/monitor through work, which is what I'd likely use for video anyway. I've never really warmed up to the way the a7s series renders color. Even after buying special profiles and stuff for Lightroom that were meant to 'fix' the Sony colors, I just can't get excited about it.

I shot some stuff on an Alexa Mini about a month ago and it's kinda ruined me on caring about anything else for motion. The simplicity of the workflow - straight to prores with a LUT traveling as metadata into Premiere - is so refreshing after shooting something on the a7s cameras in SLOG and then having to spend time wrangling the colors into something more pleasing. Love the low light performance, sure, but I really have come to dread dealing with it in a grade.

On the stills side, part of me feels like an X-Pro 2 is kind of inevitable in my future, so maybe I will just sell all that stuff. Anyone have much experience shooting with old MF primes on the X-Pro 2 with adapters? I've got a lot of 70s/80s Nikon glass (24, 35, 50, 100), some Samyang (14 & 85), and a smattering of other stuff like the Helios 40-2.
Last edited by Buddy Glass on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.

Buddy Glass

Postby Cone » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:27 pm

Yeah the Alexa mini is a magnificent thing

My heart still belongs to the Amira but working with an Alexa is always a treat.

Cone

Postby shizaam » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:32 pm

whew sony. fullframe a7 iii at $2000 https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... lease-date

shizaam

Postby Cronos » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:44 am

Dinosaurboner wrote:Missed out on that cheap Ricoh, but am now eyeing an x-t20 with that 35 f2.
Would probably try and sell off my D70. I should do this.

Cheap Ricoh was probably the old GR digital not the one with APS-C sensor.

Cronos

Postby wolfie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:15 am

After like almost three years of hiatus I am feeling naturally compelled to shoot again.

So pissed I sold my canon stuff. My d750 needs servicing and after 4+ years of ownership I keep it simply for the sensor. I don’t like any of the lenses I have.

Thinking of dumping it all, along with my x100t and maybe even my M6, and buying a used 5d4, 16-35 f2.8 and a 135L and calling it an eternity.
אחד

wolfie

Postby wolfie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:21 am

Problem is I usually do this is reverse order.... buy cool new shit, slowly sell stuff and put the money back

But I only gots like $500 play money so I gotta motivate and actually sell this shit if I wanna do it
אחד

wolfie

Postby baleen » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:23 am

shizaam wrote:whew sony. fullframe a7 iii at $2000 https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... lease-date

this means maybe i can one day get an A7ii
The answer is simple: artisanship.

baleen

Postby Cone » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:40 pm

I finally scored an X-T2 and I love it so much already

But now it just feels wrong to be putting my cheap plastic EF lenses on it so I guess I’m gonna splurge on some new glass soon

Cone

Postby wolfie » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:27 pm

nikon released a new system today

looks like a sony, only three years behind on the lenses
אחד

wolfie

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:42 pm

Except it works with all AF-S lenses via a $150 adapter (when purchased with the body).

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/00397 ... ted-lenses
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:43 pm

Btw the OG A7 is now $800 new on Amazon.
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby wolfie » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:19 pm

deadwolfbones wrote:Except it works with all AF-S lenses via a $150 adapter (when purchased with the body).

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/00397 ... ted-lenses

which is great if i wanted to add 2" to every lens i own

meh
אחד

wolfie

Postby wolfie » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:20 pm

i was really thinking this would be something i wanted to get. i've been looking for an excuse to blow money on gear. haven't bought a new lens in like 2-3 years.

they couldn't even convince me to part with the money i can't wait to part with.
אחד

wolfie

Postby wolfie » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:27 pm

like unless i was dying for an EVF why would i buy this camera?
אחד

wolfie

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:34 pm

having good-enough phone cameras for the past ~2 years has sapped any desire I had to carry around my dslr, even on trips

it's kind of sad, but my wallet's happy

Ferrous Bueller

Postby Simpsons Avatar » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:37 pm

not hauling around a dslr is why i went compact mirrorless

no phone camera is sufficient

Simpsons Avatar

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:47 pm

my instagram likes beg to differ

Ferrous Bueller

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:47 pm

please follow and tell your friends

Ferrous Bueller

Postby cartola » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:13 pm

Whats ur gram

cartola

Postby wolfie » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:41 pm

yeah all this shit's gonna be obsolete soon enough, if it aint already

$2000 for a prime lens with amazing bokeh that weighs three pounds? or google software?
אחד

wolfie

Postby Grey Poupon » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:04 pm

I have my old Canon 450D in good condition with a 50mm prime and the kit 18-25

Do these sell secondhand? It takes good photos and even if I got $100-200 for it I would probably be happy without it gathering dust in my closet
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Grey Poupon

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:21 pm

Grey Poupon wrote:I have my old Canon 450D in good condition with a 50mm prime and the kit 18-25

Do these sell secondhand? It takes good photos and even if I got $100-200 for it I would probably be happy without it gathering dust in my closet

Craigslist or FredMiranda. Go for it.
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby table for one » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:04 am

anybody ever forge a press pass

or got tips for sneakin into events parades etc

can i just show up with a white balance card around my neck and act like i belong

table for one

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:57 pm

Photography pholk,
Is something like the Canon EOS M100, or the A6000 (i.e. mirrorless with swappable lenses under $1000CAD) worth getting for someone interested in taking better quality photos and developing their interest as a hobby? Is the quality good enough to warrant a stand-alone camera, and the capability enough to keep me interested in it beyond what a point and shoot does?

I do a lot of outdoor stuff and am always disappointed by the quality of the photos my pixel takes, plus I want to take some long-lasting photos of our growing family and wonder if a dedicated camera would be worthwhile.

Thanks!
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby wolfie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:15 pm

i'm not sure what the best system for you is, but i'd buy used if i were you. if you buy a camera that's a generation or two old you'll save big bucks, and then you can get some lenses as well.

you can get like a fuji x-t1 for what, $500 used now or something like that? you could start off with that plus the kit 18-55 or whatever it is, and that'd be under a G. and then you could expand on the lenses over time.

i wouldn't touch canon's existing mirrorless system with a ten foot pole. and if you're going sony you might as well just pony up for a used a7 or whatever and go full frame.

research used prices and see what's out there: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10

also, fwiw you can skip this mirrorless bullshit and buy a DSLR have have luxuries like real battery life and controls that you don't need to have ten year old girl hands to operate. used canon 5d mark ii's for what, 500 bucks? nikon d750's for barely above a grand. d610's for like 700. goddamned d800's for like 800 bucks... you need crazy resolution for big landscapes you got it. it's all out there and not a lot of money.

don't settle for entry level gear at full price. buy used prosumer/pro stuff and get proper functionality.
Last edited by wolfie on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
אחד

wolfie

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....