Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby milknight » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Kenny wrote:Yeah, and with thre major current consoles, steam, gog and EA on PC and the android store I don't think competition for access is a big problem atm

i think he meant competition in the streaming space. idk why this bothers you but being pissed off rules so more power to you
milknight

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:06 pm

Streaming is bad because it takes owneship away from the consumer, where everything is a lisence you own nothing and are giving money to rent and can be denied access at any point. Throw Google as a company into the mix and I'm not sure why anybody would be excited
Last edited by Kenny on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

How to be a free spirit even though you woke up in the middle of the night in an existential panic
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:06 pm

Also, I am very calm actually

How to be a free spirit even though you woke up in the middle of the night in an existential panic
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby chandler » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:09 pm

the most popular games these days are free, very few people actually care about owning games

it would be surprising if the next playstation/xbox even bothered with physical media
i've been getting really into pestcest too lately. haven't really been able to find much good ant stuff, though. anybody have any links to some good biting vids/pics?
chandler

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:20 pm

I mean, I knew all that, but still don't get why it's a good thing

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby whatabout tim » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:21 pm

I’d be surprised if the next gen didn’t have some physical media solution. There are just too many people out there without appropriate broadband/4g/5g? access to make streaming and downloading the only option.
tim
whatabout tim

Postby banquo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:21 pm

it sounds convenient as long as you're able to be hooked up to internet while playing anything. streaming it to any tv is way more convenient than lugging around a console+hdmi's

project stream was actually really smooth, and it allows people with less-than-amazing setups to get great quality settings

i don't like dealing with 10-40minute first download/install & space taken up, and i don't even currently have to worry about bandwidth limits- which would completely ruin a shot at playing a lot of different stuff
banquo

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:23 pm

I'm fine with digital, I can't pretend to be a stickler for physical media, but I do like that it is downloaded to your system.

And when I do buy on PC, I go with GOG for DRM free downloads
Last edited by Kenny on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby gambra » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:23 pm

It's not going to be subscription based, it's going to be purchase a game individually then launch it through the storefront. Google don't really do subscription models for things. The reality for it is it's going to be a button with a link to buy the game beside a trailer or gameplay video (like the Trainspotting 2 example below) and it'll slot in under "Apps" & "Movies" in the Google Play store. The Project Stream tests seemed go to pretty damn well so they have the technology down already, it's just a case of if it'll get forgotten about like so many other Google products. The main issue for uptake will be data caps, I don't think most of the world are able to take advantage of it.

THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra
gambra

Postby gambra » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:25 pm

whatabout tim wrote:I’d be surprised if the next gen didn’t have some physical media solution. There are just too many people out there without appropriate broadband/4g/5g? access to make streaming and downloading the only option.

There will still be physical media. If games are going to bloat to 100gb+ sizes there simply has to be.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra
gambra

Postby Marcus » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:30 pm

Kenny wrote:Also, I am very calm actually

You convinced me
Marcus

Postby chandler » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:40 pm

gambra wrote:
whatabout tim wrote:I’d be surprised if the next gen didn’t have some physical media solution. There are just too many people out there without appropriate broadband/4g/5g? access to make streaming and downloading the only option.

There will still be physical media. If games are going to bloat to 100gb+ sizes there simply has to be.

bigger data footprints pushes towards streaming and only streaming imo. i can only guess that spending huge chunks of the r&d budget of your new console to engineer and design some one-off physical media and then build a factory in japan or whatever that only produces them...is not ideal
i've been getting really into pestcest too lately. haven't really been able to find much good ant stuff, though. anybody have any links to some good biting vids/pics?
chandler

Postby xxx-xxx-xxxx » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:42 pm

lately i've been finding it annoying to get up and switch a game out from my ps4.
On my switch, i'm almost all digital, and it's nice to flip from game to game, especially if i'm laying in bed playing handheld.

I could see this being a problem down the line going all digital, but it's nice imo as a modern convenience.
WHITESOXXX-XXX-XXXX
xxx-xxx-xxxx

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:50 pm

Digital and streaming are two diff things tho

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby banquo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:51 pm

i don't really hear a lot of talk about the massive hardware barrier to play a lot of these current gen games.

we're sort of complacent about needing a $700+ laptop to barely be able to play a game on medium settings if at all, or a $400-$600 video card in your desktop and a ssd.

if it reduces the hardware burden by several hundred dollars while also not requiring to re-upgrade every few years, then i'm all for that increased access- to more people generally as well as the ability to play on laptops again- and reduced spend on video cards
banquo

Postby chandler » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:55 pm

^ yes

hardware agnosticism is a good thing to move towards
chandler

Postby broodstar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:05 pm

+1 on the blah blah blah simplify your life who cares get ready to sekire
broodstar

Postby xxx-xxx-xxxx » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:07 pm

Kenny wrote:Digital and streaming are two diff things tho

both require server upkeeping or they'll be lost forever, which seems like the biggest problem people have with the future of gaming distribution
WHITESOXXX-XXX-XXXX
xxx-xxx-xxxx

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:11 pm

Yeah that's very true.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby thrasher » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:13 pm

gambra wrote:It's not going to be subscription based, it's going to be purchase a game individually then launch it through the storefront. Google don't really do subscription models for things. The reality for it is it's going to be a button with a link to buy the game beside a trailer or gameplay video (like the Trainspotting 2 example below) and it'll slot in under "Apps" & "Movies" in the Google Play store. The Project Stream tests seemed go to pretty damn well so they have the technology down already, it's just a case of if it'll get forgotten about like so many other Google products. The main issue for uptake will be data caps, I don't think most of the world are able to take advantage of it.

I don't understand the appeal of this at all then. if you have an internet connection good enough for game streaming why wouldn't you just wait the 1-2 hours to download the game you paid for? I suppose having the option to stream the game on other devices if you want is kinda neat but why would that be your first option if you're playing on your main tv set
thrasher

Postby xxx-xxx-xxxx » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:15 pm

you're streaming off of a hotrod of a rig from google's servers, rather than what you have at home.
WHITESOXXX-XXX-XXXX
xxx-xxx-xxxx

Postby trouble » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:17 pm

The appeal is you wouldn't have to make the initial investment of buying/building expensive PC hardware to play high-end PC titles.
trouble
ride.

Postby thrasher » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:21 pm

ah I guess... I haven't seen the streaming in action but I always imagined that the hit in picture quality/lag time would not make that an appealing tradeoff, but maybe it's gotten a lot better. I just have always heard the worst things about PSNow and I can't imagine ever paying for something like that
thrasher

Postby surly » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:21 pm

banquo wrote:i don't really hear a lot of talk about the massive hardware barrier to play a lot of these current gen games.

we're sort of complacent about needing a $700+ laptop to barely be able to play a game on medium settings if at all, or a $400-$600 video card in your desktop and a ssd.

if it reduces the hardware burden by several hundred dollars while also not requiring to re-upgrade every few years, then i'm all for that increased access- to more people generally as well as the ability to play on laptops again- and reduced spend on video cards

this is the big thing for me. (sorry petty this is not intended as a personal slight but it's probably gonna feel that way) the complaints about the potential for the end of game ownership are pretty privileged and miss the forest for the trees. there are a lot of people, both in the US and around the world, who simply can't afford a $700-$1000 computer or a $300-$500 console, and streaming services like this offer them the chance to partake in videogames writ large. and to that point, i find it hard to believe that streaming will ever fully supplant "ownership" for a cavalcade of reasons, chief of which is the service seems primarily designed to tap into that market that until now has been dominated by mobile game companies or no one at all

my pie in the sky (read: completely unrealistic) hope is that google puts enough juice into this endeavor to finally maybe begin to move the needle on high speed internet infrastructure investment in rural communities since the fcc doesn't give a shit about it
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me
surly
the insult bastard

Postby whatabout tim » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:24 pm

At this point isn’t 5g a more realistic option for rural areas than broadband anyways?
tim
whatabout tim

Postby surly » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:24 pm

theoretically yes but that's also a long long long ways off
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me
surly
the insult bastard

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:26 pm

No worries, i don't take it as a personal thing. I totally agree that the cost to games is a big problem and barrier* (i just don't like streaming as the answer), and think the commercial nature of almost every decision in major games is holding it back in being a respected media, and streaming is just another money making choice. Google only wants access as new revenue streams, that is it

*The reason i skipped so much of the last two gens and have a rep for old games is that i was fuckin broke for those gens
Last edited by Kenny on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Marcus » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:28 pm

the part where they showed how game feeds can account for squad based functionality without any additional dev support really fucking interested me

more tech in games is good but i def don't want a Netflix "what games are leaving this month" situation, which we will probably fucking get in 5 years time
Marcus

Postby trouble » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:30 pm

You aren't going to be playing Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft titles on this and if Playstation Now was any indication they are not prepared to get into the streaming anytime soon. Until broadband infrastructure is significantly overhauled the same people who rejected Microsoft's pitch for an always online non-shareable gamespace will still be around, but if Steam is any indication most people are willing to give up ownership for affordability and convenience.
trouble
ride.

Postby whatabout tim » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:31 pm

I also think terms of service for physical games will change significantly in the future. If physical games move towards licenses to play the content then the infrastructure is really the only thing standing in the way of all download/stream devices.
tim
whatabout tim

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....