Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby broodstar » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:11 pm

i just don't see how that applies to astral chain, a mostly combat-oriented platinumgames thing, more than any number of more egregious examples

but anyway i can only gaze from afar

hope yuzu works soon cause i need to jam fe3h before i die

back to mhw

(also: everything i've played besides like stygian in the past like 6 months has been an extreme j-game that i'm just going to embrace the brand again)

broodstar

Postby Infinite Jost » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:23 pm

don't all of those complaints pretty much apply to all games

Infinite Jost

Postby Lil Gugger » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:40 pm

Yes but they aren't consistent features of all games

Lil Gugger

Postby chairkicker » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:22 pm

forget about astral chain and play yooka laylee and the impossible lair

chairkicker

Postby broodstar » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:29 pm

oh my god at xeno took me like 7 tries and i finally downed this stupid son of a. i even crafted a stupid tremor resistance charm

refreshing to suck ass at this game again and now i feel like a god

broodstar

Postby kirito » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:20 am

Lil Gugger wrote:Kenny agree/disagree/add to this list of stuff I don't like about j games:
Oversexualization and infantilization of females
Overly complicated menus
Too much random shit in the hud
Picking up lots of random crap from all over everywhere to.... Usually craft stuff? Who cares stop wasting my time.
Very linear pathways
Large distances between things in the world you routinely have to interact with which results in lots of extraneous walking or even worse, continuity breaking fast travel loading screens
Silent main characters
A feeling of non physicality in 3rd person combat: just occupy the same space as your enemy and swing your weapon around a lot and win

you're describing any bioware, ubisoft or naughty dog game

kirito

Postby kirito » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:22 am

also, reducing every game made in japan down to one vague impossible to quantify genre is ignorant and borderline racist

kirito

Postby No Good Advice » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:46 am

Japan re-introduced physicality to 3rd person games combat with monster hunter and souls games

No Good Advice

Postby broodstar » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:01 am

hello i know we're having serious discussions and all but

1) im on a monster hunter deep dive again, rebooting up mh4u
2) GOD DAMN i am SO FUCKING IMPRESSED WITH MYSELF .

broodstar

Postby Kenny » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:14 am

I'm not arguing all Japanese games are one genre, I'm saying there's some tendencies I don't like and for me they are all in Astral Chain. I could make a list of Western game tropes and say I see them all in oh.... any First Person Shooter
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Marcus » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:56 am

I think I would have regretted buying astral chain less if each mission wasn't 2 hours long with seemingly no breaks in anything and where maybe 45 mins of that mission wasn't bad detective work in the most mind-numbingly linear way

also the look of the chimera world or w/e gets really old after like the 2nd visit

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:57 am

tomorrow is Disco day thank god

Marcus

Postby jojo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:08 am

Lil Gugger wrote:Kenny agree/disagree/add to this list of stuff I don't like about j games:
Overly complicated menus
Picking up lots of random crap from all over everywhere to.... Usually craft stuff? Who cares stop wasting my time.
Very linear pathways
Large distances between things in the world you routinely have to interact with which results in lots of extraneous walking or even worse, continuity breaking fast travel loading screens
Silent main characters
A feeling of non physicality in 3rd person combat: just occupy the same space as your enemy and swing your weapon around a lot and win

oh my god lol

jojo

Postby Lil Gugger » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:16 am

What's the deal with these souls like games now where they put a checkpoint that is 45 seconds of rolling through water or fighting/running past 5-10 average mobs before you get to a boss you are probably going to have to fight 20 times to learn the patterns.

Lil Gugger

Postby emotional fascism » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:24 am

Lil Gugger wrote:What's the deal with these souls like games now where they put a checkpoint that is 45 seconds of rolling through water or fighting/running past 5-10 average mobs before you get to a boss you are probably going to have to fight 20 times to learn the patterns.

get gud mentality

emotional fascism

Postby xxx-xxx-xxxx » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:25 am

i had fun with Astral Chain. but yeah i had a lot of complaints with it.

First and foremost, it was by far the easiest Platinum game i've ever played-- and i usually really suck at them
WHITESOXXX-XXX-XXXX

xxx-xxx-xxxx

Postby kirito » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:38 am

jojo wrote:
Overly complicated menus
Very linear pathways
Silent main characters

oh my god lol

silent main characters are great. for every silent protagonist there's a tidus, sora or lightning to suffer through for 80 hours

kirito

Postby jojo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:45 am

im just thinking of like my attempt to play assassins creed black flag and how there was so much effort to fundamentally make pea soup that played itself

but that list is basically like "japanese culture is different/AA games dont have tons of resources"

jojo

Postby Lil Gugger » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:52 am

That's a good point Kirito.
I guess games are a land of contrasts.
I was trying to get Kenny to extrapolate what he was saying and it failed I guess.

Lil Gugger

Postby Lil Gugger » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:54 am

emotional fascism wrote:
Lil Gugger wrote:What's the deal with these souls like games now where they put a checkpoint that is 45 seconds of rolling through water or fighting/running past 5-10 average mobs before you get to a boss you are probably going to have to fight 20 times to learn the patterns.

get gud mentality

Got gud comes from game designers themselves? I thought it was basically like a gamer version of toxic masculinity. This kind of treatment is a passive aggressive disrespect of the person playing the games real time. Might as well put up a 1 minute countdown screen that says Ya Suc Lol. It's bad game design on its face.

Lil Gugger

Postby Kenny » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:00 am

I've probably moaned about that game itt more than I have outside of this thread so don't mind me. No point in going on about games you aren't playing

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby gordie blue eyes » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:25 am

Marcus wrote:I think I would have regretted buying astral chain less if each mission wasn't 2 hours long with seemingly no breaks in anything and where maybe 45 mins of that mission wasn't bad detective work in the most mind-numbingly linear way

also the look of the chimera world or w/e gets really old after like the 2nd visit

yes i don't know how anybody could disagree with this really

as somebody who loves bayonetta 1+2 and the wonderful 101, this game was a massive disappointment

also you left out out how frustrating the platforming is

gordie blue eyes
Reclining in the sky on a cloud with silver lining

Postby gordie blue eyes » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:30 am

the combat is really fun and unique i remember in the early stages constantly thinking the game was just about to turn the corner and then everything it's wrapped in only got more and more tedious

gordie blue eyes
Reclining in the sky on a cloud with silver lining

Postby jojo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:46 am

How do you feel about code vein in relationship to astral chain? I know theyre totally diff games outside of the aesthetic/setting but i dont know anyone thats played both

I finished code vein over the weekend and feel pretty good about the game for basically all the reasons laid out as to why j-games are bad

jojo

Postby Marcus » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:14 pm

gordie blue eyes wrote:the combat is really fun and unique i remember in the early stages constantly thinking the game was just about to turn the corner and then everything it's wrapped in only got more and more tedious

yeah this is entirely me/what happened

Marcus

Postby chairkicker » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:27 pm

Lil Gugger wrote:
emotional fascism wrote:

get gud mentality

Got gud comes from game designers themselves? I thought it was basically like a gamer version of toxic masculinity. This kind of treatment is a passive aggressive disrespect of the person playing the games real time. Might as well put up a 1 minute countdown screen that says Ya Suc Lol. It's bad game design on its face.

you put a checkpoint right before the boss room and you come to predict them. i think at least with the souls games you might not know if you're walking into a boss fight which is part of the reason why there are no bonfires there. and i know in practice many the fog gates and level design do make some of those fights predictable regardless, but not all of them
Last edited by chairkicker on Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chairkicker

Postby brent » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:31 pm

any guesses on how low the price of a ps4 pro will go during black friday? i was gonna pick up the witcher 3 on switch, never played it before, but the reviews have talked me out of it...

brent

Postby Kenny » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:34 pm

They just had a deal over here where if you signed up for a new phone service plan for 2 years you got a PS4 + PSVR. That was crazy.

I played Train Sim World for 2 hours tonight and I successfully figured out how to take a German train 3 stops

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby figaro » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:40 pm

$350 with maybe a game bundled would be my best bet..

i think theyre still selling well enough that even with PS5 news trickling out they still won't have any incentive to drop the price on them significantly until next year.

figaro

Postby broodstar » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:03 pm

playing random indie strategy games and it's a refreshing reminder that some games are balanced (and designed) incredibly shittily

broodstar

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....