Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby broodstar » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:08 am

a lot of slay the spire/roguelitey heads are playing ratropolis

i tried it, it's tower defense + cards, but most strategy games with real-time action just get automatic knocks from this old man

broodstar

Postby Kenny » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:34 am

Dr. Fishopolis wrote:
Kenny wrote:What's the best Paradox game for someone who hasn't played any? I bought Crusader Kings 2 in a humble bundle

guy forget wrote:That one

Yeah that's pretty much the consensus, but for me personally I bounced off ck2 pretty hard as my first paradox game. What led me down the rabbit hole was Europa Universalis IV -- probably because I'm way more interested in the time period.

Victoria II is the real answer though :twisted:

Turns out I have Europa Universalis IV already too, must have been another big sale :oops:
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby bruceagain » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:51 am

you should play them
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.

bruceagain

Postby bruceagain » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:56 am

the one thing i will say is that paradox tutorials are Not Good and you will spend your first ten hours fucking up and being confused by everything new but the internet is your friend
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.

bruceagain

Postby Kenny » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:12 am

Kickstarter for Alwa's Awakening sequel Alwa's Legacy:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eldenpixels/alwas-legacy/

I backed!
The first one is really good and fun imo. A simple metroid vania built around a good core of mechanics. I found it really pleasant to play through

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby ahungbunny » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:46 pm

return of the obra dinn is incredible, probably the first truly lovecraftian video game even though it's more precisely an homage to william hope hodgson's tales of seafaring horror

ahungbunny

Postby Dr. Fishopolis » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Kenny I assume it goes without saying that the vanilla versions of those games really need some key expansions to bring out the full experience. I think the humble bundles come with a bunch of expansions included though?

MikeS wrote:Victoria 2 seemed like it never got enough development love. Only two expansions is pretty light.

True but to be fair, Victoria II was before their new strategy of 'we're going to come out with a really bare-bones vanilla game then develop it with hundreds of $$$ worth of expansions for the next 5+ years. So only 2 expansions, but I feel like its pretty well fleshed out and 'complete' as is.

MikeS wrote:stellaris seems really great but I only have 20 hours with it. Playing as a hive mind alien race or a central computer seems really appealing, but I haven’t flushed out the basics yet.

Stellaris is cool but I have never made it to a late game crisis. When you've got 30 planets and a dozen habitats to manage and it takes your fleet 15 realtime minutes just to get from one end of your empire to the other it's just too much grind. I normally like micromanaging, but that game really needs to find an effective way to automate more effectively.

Dr. Fishopolis

Postby Kenny » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:54 pm

Yeah I've got a ton of expansions. It was that one that was like $15 for $300 worth of expansions that happened a few months ago

I remember one of my roommates from college plaeyd Crusader Kings 1 and I liked watching it

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby regular ol' slokra » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:04 pm

base ck2 which is free now and also comes with the old gods dlc as well as all the patches that they've made along the way. which is to say that the free version should be pretty playable which was not always true in the past

regardless, expect to put in 40-60 hours of messing up and learning from doing the wrong thing before you are able to start a new game and feel like you have a handle on what to do/what is going on

i understand that that may be a nonstarter/unreasonable learning curve for most but the game is so so rewarding once you understand the base mechanics and where to go in the ui to manage them

and you can start new games as different religions, cultures, and governments which really add to the replay value as the mechanics of these different combinations are varied and promote different playstyles
;)

regular ol' slokra
Site Admin

Postby fester » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:06 pm

ahungbunny wrote:return of the obra dinn is incredible, probably the first truly lovecraftian video game even though it's more precisely an homage to william hope hodgson's tales of seafaring horror

i need to play this

the first Alone In The Dark was based on Cthulhu and really awesome at the time (25 years ago)

it looks pretty bad now but it was a formative game for me

------------

fester

Postby iambic » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:22 pm

obra dinn is one of the "10 Best Games Ever Made" source: iambic

iambic

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:31 pm

alone in the darks style is still unique/evocative in an early 3d kinda way imo even if it's dated. feel similarly about the early from software games
ImageImageImage

it's the suspense that gets me

Postby trigross » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:41 pm

obra dinn is really incredible but i am pretty dumb so i don't know if i'll ever actually finish it

trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby hbb » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:00 pm

Death Stranding is installed but they picked a bummer day to give my kid off from school :x
hbb

Postby hbb » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:00 pm

dbl
hbb

Postby trouble » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:30 pm

decided not to get death stranding and bought dicey dungeons instead
Now exclusively in Bland Mode.

trouble
thread skimmer

Postby mortimer » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:39 pm

Alone in the Dark is awesome

Twinsen’s Odyssey is also amazing and by the same developers.

Ecstatica is a similarly creepy and bizarre block fest, except the models are all made out of ellipses/oblongs.

mortimer

Postby iambic » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:58 pm

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/188915 ... -something

josh sawyer on the possibility of pillars 3

(it's low)

iambic

Postby Kenny » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:11 am

I've been waiting like a year to get poe2 on the Switch/console

It's weird that's it's taken so long. Then again I guess it took a similar amount of time the first time. But you'd think they would have that ironed out

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Milk » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:40 am

fester wrote:
ahungbunny wrote:return of the obra dinn is incredible, probably the first truly lovecraftian video game even though it's more precisely an homage to william hope hodgson's tales of seafaring horror

i need to play this

the first Alone In The Dark was based on Cthulhu and really awesome at the time (25 years ago)

it looks pretty bad now but it was a formative game for me

It invented survival horror but people like to still think RE did that. Loved that game. At the time yeah it was new and pretty awesome. Also this is to be more precise 27 years ago.

The best lovecraftian survival horror though is Eternal Darkness. Only game that ever truly managed to scare me a couple of times.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."

Milk

Postby Milk » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:41 am

Actually i would say AITD and Eternal Darkness are the only surivval horror games i ever enjoyed. I never got behind RE somehow. Well ok to be fair..i played only 2 and 4.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."

Milk

Postby MikeS » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:49 am

trouble wrote:decided not to get death stranding and bought dicey dungeons instead

You probably made the right decision.

I thought about buying death standing but decided against it. The monster energy product placement in the game makes me sad. Plus I’m not really into fetch quests. But if that’s your thing enjoy.
Last edited by MikeS on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeS

Postby mortimer » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:50 am

I like how in AITD you can die by just going into the library and opening the wrong book.

mortimer

Postby brent » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:12 am

alone in the dark scared the hell out of me as a kid. but then again, so did the black cauldron

brent

Postby iambic » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:21 am

yeah, I could barely touch alone in the dark as a kid, but that opening attic scene is seared into my brain

iambic

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:34 pm

outer wilds was so cool, but it was simply too addictive

I had to spoil the rest of it for myself intentionally so I could just get on with my life

Ferrous Bueller

Postby trouble » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:27 pm

obsidian should have honestly cancelled their game once outer wilds came out. saved everyone a bunch of time.

trouble
thread skimmer

Postby trouble » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:28 pm

like is getting on Giant Bomb's Game of the Year list worth all this confusion? probably not.

trouble
thread skimmer

Postby ahungbunny » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:25 pm

trigross wrote:obra dinn is really incredible but i am pretty dumb so i don't know if i'll ever actually finish it

i managed to deduce all 60 fates in about eight hours, more than half after the first run through all the vignettes. lots more little visual clues than i noticed initially, including common attire, character location/proximity, and at least one distinguishing tattooToggle Spoiler

excellent game, can't say i've played anything like it before. pulp horror crime scene investigation simulator

ahungbunny

Postby Seamus » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:22 pm

whats the opinion on gravity rush here?

if i've never played it would it be better to play number 1, or just start with the sequel?
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....