Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby sevenarts » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:58 pm

Nioh is dismal and completely unfun. It won’t be undoable or anything to those who play lots of Souls games but it totally misses the point of those kinds of games and puts all the emphasis on just mechanically tough combat with none of the atmosphere, mystery, or joy in exploration that you find in those games. The loot system sucks, there are way too many mechanics and menus to navigate, the world/area design is so boring and ugly, and it quickly starts recycling content in really uninspired ways. I mostly didn’t find the boss fights too bad but some of the areas are hard in the same way as DS2 was, where they just throw a mob at you and have them all run at you. I’ve played all the Souls/From games (besides DS2) over and over and over but I was so ready to be done with Nioh by the end.

sevenarts

Postby mortimer » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:00 pm

sevenarts wrote:Nioh is dismal and completely unfun. It won’t be undoable or anything to those who play lots of Souls games but it totally misses the point of those kinds of games and puts all the emphasis on just mechanically tough combat with none of the atmosphere, mystery, or joy in exploration that you find in those games. The loot system sucks, there are way too many mechanics and menus to navigate, the world/area design is so boring and ugly, and it quickly starts recycling content in really uninspired ways. I mostly didn’t find the boss fights too bad but some of the areas are hard in the same way as DS2 was, where they just throw a mob at you and have them all run at you. I’ve played all the Souls/From games (besides DS2) over and over and over but I was so ready to be done with Nioh by the end.

Yeah, difficulty was just one of many of my issues. Reading that the levels and enemies never really get more interesting totally killed my desire to continue past like the third level. Then again, I see there are people who’ve sunk thousands of hours into it, so I guess it has its appeal.
mortimer

Postby figaro » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:14 pm

I've played both of the alpha/betas/whatever for the sequel and they're still using many of the exact same yokai that you fought repeatedly throughout the entirety of the 1st game. they didn't make any changes to the loot system either. at least the new one will have a character creator tho.
Last edited by figaro on Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

figaro

Postby sevenarts » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:15 pm

Also when you delete games on PS4 you explicitly have a choice to keep your saves/data or not.

sevenarts

Postby jca » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:28 pm

having a lot of fun going through best-of lists. This year was stacked. RE2, Sekiro, Disco Elysium, Ace Combat?? wild

jca

Postby broodstar » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:40 pm

i quit every game

also perhaps an interesting anecdote is that i find there are people completely opposite who want everything easy and patted on the back and shy away from any challenge at all and that's totally bewildering to me

broodstar

Postby mortimer » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:44 pm

I always try to play on the hardest mode within reason, but Nioh was just past the point of fun for me.
mortimer

Postby broodstar » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:17 pm

jca wrote:having a lot of fun going through best-of lists. This year was stacked. RE2, Sekiro, Disco Elysium, Ace Combat?? wild

also era has been going batshit over this: https://www.resetera.com/threads/saga-s ... lf.156293/

i like it a lot, it's got that insane unusualness (almost unapproachable) typical of saga games that i'm looking for if i want to boot up a jrpg, but i don't know if i'd call it unequivocally good or whom i'd recommend it to

but also it's one of the only things i can play on my laptop owing it to it being half a mobile game. do you think disco runs on toasters

broodstar

Postby jca » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:39 pm

yeah disco should run on a toaster

i really wanna play that ^

jca

Postby chairkicker » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:42 am

what evil within skeptics can i make true believers this christmas? game is 5 bucks on steam right now. i will buy you a copy

chairkicker

Postby kirito » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:49 am

i hate the evil within but the sequel was great!

kirito

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:50 am

i'm v into resident evil but will probabyl check out the new remakes before evil within

plus i'm a console guy
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:00 pm

Xbox one controllers are the most comfortable and functional to me, but god they are cheap garbage.

That Demon Life

Postby broodstar » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:18 pm

sticks are overrated @ me

broodstar

Postby broodstar » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:18 pm

many of you know about my refusal to use controllers but did you know i also played fighting games on a keyboard

broodstar

Postby virtuous » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:23 pm

“a game I haven’t played should be compared to game x - not game y”
virtuous

Postby gordie blue eyes » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:30 pm

As somebody who has played and enjoyed over 100 hours of Nioh, the post about how it’s way more a ninja garden than a dark souls is dead on

gordie blue eyes
Reclining in the sky on a cloud with silver lining

Postby kirito » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:32 pm

rising thunder was pretty fun on a keyboard

kirito

Postby rap and country » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:42 pm

fighting games on a keyboard is blowing my mind

how do you even do a damn hadouken

rap and country
ok

Postby kirito » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:44 pm

how do you do a dang spinning piledriver?

kirito

Postby lordofdiapers » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:44 pm

There's decent amount of folks who play Melee netplay on keyboard and they get absolutely slaughtered by competent players
Stuntman wrote:Does anyone remember Late Night Cheeseburger? That was my jam. Tasted like BO.

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby xxx-xxx-xxxx » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:45 pm

WHITESOXXX-XXX-XXXX

xxx-xxx-xxxx

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:48 pm

That Demon Life wrote:Xbox one controllers are the most comfortable and functional to me, but god they are cheap garbage.

that elite pro controller looks solid tho

too bad ps4 doesn't have an equivalent
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:50 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:
That Demon Life wrote:Xbox one controllers are the most comfortable and functional to me, but god they are cheap garbage.

that elite pro controller looks solid tho

too bad ps4 doesn't have an equivalent

Apparently they have the same stick drift issue that has already broken 3 of my controllers.

That Demon Life

Postby lordofdiapers » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:56 pm

The thing I hate about 360/xbone controllers is that their weight makes it so the micro usb's bend at the spot where the wire connects to the actual input and eventually causes all of the cables to fail. I should probably just go wireless but I hate input lag.
Stuntman wrote:Does anyone remember Late Night Cheeseburger? That was my jam. Tasted like BO.

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby lordofdiapers » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:58 pm

I feel like the PS controllers dont have that issue because they are lighter but I honestly dont know

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby figaro » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:03 pm

ive gone through about 1 ds4 a year the last 4 years (left stick drift and buttons starting to be junk)..theyre my favorite because of the analog stick layout/fit for my hands but the build quality/battery life is junk. considered biting the bullet and ordering some dumb expensive custom one for a minute but I should probably just hold out to see what kind of improvements theyve done for the ps5 controllers.

figaro

Postby broodstar » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:07 pm

keyboards aren't ideal, and unlike the whole controller vs stick argument, there are usually actual limitations to the max number of inputs you can perform in a certain timeframe. trying to perform a kara throw (which requires like 5-6+ inputs at once) usually would fail to register because a low quality keyboard can only register like 4 presses or whatever

but hadoukens and piledrivers are both ez. the cumbersome thing is you have to make sure you tap the combined inputs deliberately and emphatically (i.e. downforward)
Last edited by broodstar on Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

broodstar

Postby rap and country » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:09 pm

lordofdiapers wrote:The thing I hate about 360/xbone controllers is that their weight makes it so the micro usb's bend at the spot where the wire connects to the actual input and eventually causes all of the cables to fail. I should probably just go wireless but I hate input lag.

the wired version of the 360 has a permanent connection w/ strain relief so does not suffer from this issue, been using it as my PC controller for a long time now

rap and country
ok

Postby figaro » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:09 pm

keyboard for a fighting game seemingly would be like using one of those hitbox controllers with not as an ideal layout i guess?

figaro

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....