Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:58 am

what's the best way to play planescape torment in 2020? i see that they've done switch ports of it as well as a pc remaster. i remember the pc remaster crashing on me a bunch when i first pirated it when it first came out but i'm assuming it's more stable now? not sure how it'd play on console but getting it on switch is mighty tempting...
it's the suspense that gets me

Postby Jeremy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:05 am

If you're coming into it after Disco it's going to be kind of disappointing

Jeremy

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:08 am

honestly, i kinda figure as much. i haven't done a full playthrough since i was a teenager tho and i'm curious as to how i would take to it as an dult.

i need more games where i can pretend to be a detective in general.

Postby iambic » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:32 am

I believe the "enhanced edition" pst is solid. I don't know if they made any content alterations, if you care about that, but Avellone was involved and it adds a bunch of qol features.

I try to play all the games that are vaguely detective-y, even the pretty meh point and clicks (lamplight city and the shivah are probably the best recent ones). obra dinn is the actual best detective game ever, but I also kinda dug the painscreek killings, even though it's basically a giant escape room and janky as fuck. the frogwares sherlock holmes games all have stuff to recommend them; crimes & punishments is the best one. I'm assuming you've played deadly premonition. the wolf among us is my favorite telltale but not actually a good detective game.

iambic

Postby john plainman 5 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:34 am

Get it on switch. The autoselect feature is amazing. You’ll love to play it on the go!

john plainman 5

Postby iambic » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:34 am

if you haven't played gabriel knight: sins of the fathers, that game had a weirdly enduring influence on my taste in a lot of shit, but I'd play it with the original 2D art and not the overhauled stuff

I'm also guessing you've played blade runner. if not, that's the best not-obra dinn detective game.

iambic

Postby john plainman 5 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:34 am

Iambic did you play, the sunken city, I think it’s called?

john plainman 5

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:35 am

oh yeah obra dinn is literally what i need. i think that's the main big indie from the past couple of years i never got around to. grabbing that and switch ps:t i think.

i thiiiink me and my partner are going to start digging into kentucky route zero later today too but that's going to be a much slower burn given that it'll be something i'm playing with someone else.

Postby Kenny » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:37 am

I just played through Baldur's Gate for the first time on the Switch version and I found it compelling as hell and not that rough transition Back To The Past
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT]

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Fuck being hard, Petty is complicated. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby john plainman 5 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:37 am

Switch ps:t also comes with icewind dale, right?

I don’t know if DnD combat is fun enough in 2020 to commit to a playthrough of that but I always loved the level design there

john plainman 5

Postby iambic » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:39 am

john plainman 5 wrote:Iambic did you play, the sunken city, I think it’s called?

no, I forgot about it after disappointing launch talk, and I actually need to wishlist it for a sale, ty

iambic

Postby iambic » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:42 am

obra dinn, krz, and disco elysium are three of my five favorite games or so and they all came out in the last 18 months or something videogames are the best!!!!

iambic

Postby Kenny » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:52 am

That FF7 intro looks really good. I wonder if the first part is a flashback tho? The kids are playing on the playground in the slums but the city doesn't seem to be on top of it.

Also this is a super minor nitpick but the cool part about the intro was the zoom into the train coming into the station from the wide shot was so seemless to YOU'RE PLAYING NOW that it felt amazing but the zoom into how kewl it looks that Cloud is riding on top sort of takes that moment away

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby john plainman 5 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:00 am

Agreed, but Jessie kicking that dude in the chest was dope

john plainman 5

Postby Kenny » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:06 am

Is there official info on when the game ends?

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby iambic » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:11 am

a final fantasy is never finished, only abandoned

iambic

Postby trigross » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:14 am

does the ps classic suck that bad? i sort of want to play ff vii because i never have. well, i think i've gotten to the first robot boss like 20 years ago but that's it

trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby Kenny » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:17 am

trigross wrote:does the ps classic suck that bad? i sort of want to play ff vii because i never have. well, i think i've gotten to the first robot boss like 20 years ago but that's it

Trigross, be careful! Attack while its tail is up! It's gonna counterattack with its laser.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby jack » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:54 am

trigross wrote:does the ps classic suck that bad? i sort of want to play ff vii because i never have. well, i think i've gotten to the first robot boss like 20 years ago but that's it

it doesn't suck but there are some quality of life improvements in the updated version that make some of the outdated/annoying stuff much more tolerable

jack

Postby bruceagain » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:20 pm

i thought i was sour on mantle farming before but somehow getting one from a plunderblade has really pissed me off
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.

bruceagain

Postby bruceagain » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:21 pm

at least i've finally upgraded that glav cb tho
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.

bruceagain

Postby gambra » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:27 pm

Division 2 is only $3/€3 right now through the weekend, there's a fucking tonne of game in there for $3. Because I'm a sucker I've bought the New York expansion they just announced but it's the one MMO/shooter type game that's ever got me hooked.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra

gambra

Postby Marcus » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:30 pm

yeah i grabbed that on the cheap 2 months ago and somehow got to world tier 5 in 2 weeks

i dont even like it THAT much, and yet

Marcus

Postby john plainman 5 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:49 pm

Marcus wrote:yeah i grabbed that on the cheap 2 months ago and somehow got to world tier 5 in 2 weeks

i dont even like it THAT much, and yet

this was good

john plainman 5

Postby traced out » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:02 pm

Kenny wrote:That FF7 intro looks really good.

i hated the changes (pre-train deboarding). it was overindulgent and lengthened shots for no reason and broke the tempo and storyline of the sequence. the only good part was the meteor coming down into the logo

traced out

Postby chairkicker » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:13 pm

someone post the ps3 tech demo remake of the ff7 intro

chairkicker

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:21 pm

Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby broodstar » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:01 pm

so sorry but im playing this

broodstar

Postby bruceagain » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:16 am

killed velkhana and then the game crashed without saving
rad, love it, sick, not infuriating at all

bruceagain

Postby traced out » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:12 am

intro starts with immersion - traveling through space (cool 3 dimensionality to the stars), small particles that make up life (mako), etc. you're going from nebulous to more focused as it cuts to aeris. if you're going by the actual story it juxtaposes the two major good and evil forces already.

very nice shot of her with green mako lighting and upward cascading particles on a black background - again going from less information to more information as the shot switches, you can see the background of the alleyway to more and more of the city as the camera pulls back. the narrative is going from smaller to larger picture, back to smaller as it zooms back in on the train and starts your narrative in game. the zoom back in on the train was connected to the train hiss in the theme that plays as aeris starts to walk, quietly announcing that sequence. you're going from girl to streets to city in acceleration. the hiss also establishes the pacing of the pull out and in, because it's catching a train. it's snappy and has a rhythm. the logo and climax of the song punctuate reaching the apex, before going back down.

intro starts with entering midgar. it is smaller scale, thematicially. generally, though, the theme is "look at these cool places from your childhood game", and if you haven't played it before, "look it's a steampunk semi-futuristic city"

mako shot to stars to mako/aeris is pretty cool, but it's lost its impact and meaning as the very first shot. then we get some whack shots with scary music and people stepping on flowers and a glamour shot of aeris (again, "check out how this person from your childhood game looks like now"). the theme of this sequence would generally be, 'there's something spooky in this steampunk city'. it pulls back but without connection to the rest of the intro. we've already seen different parts of the city, there's nothing special about seeing more now. and because the extra shots have extended this for so long, there is no accelerating flow. also the general message it was conveying became muddled, so the logo isn't really punctuating anything other than your pre-existing expectations of the logo appearing. the train also just comes out of nowhere whereas with the original there's a feeling that it was always coming because of the hiss in the music and the pacing.

the theme is also just way more fitting (other than the comet impact). it's a sci fi game. the synth bass is great. orchestration from the new one sounds like those boston pops cover concerts.

i watched a bunch of ff7 videos after seeing the 'memorable places in videogames' thread awhile ago and was pretty consistently impressed by the shot composition and direction. the remake looks like it will satisfyingly indulge you and massage your nostalgia, gained a sheen but lost the finesse.

traced out

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....