Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Gehrig Industries » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:07 pm

I can't figure out if he's just a smart charismatic guy that won the random walk or if he's a genius.
You're a long way from home now
Gehrig Industries
Special Gehrig Rank

Postby cram » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:08 pm

best cologne
cram

Postby fox » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:22 pm

this is true for so many of these valley ceos
fox
Prime Galoob

Postby Gehrig Industries » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:23 pm

Hard not to root for him, at least until he figures out how much fun it is to campaign legislators for money. Hopefully he keeps in touch with Peter Thiel.
Gehrig Industries
Special Gehrig Rank

Postby cram » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:40 pm

cram

Postby Ted Pikul » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:42 pm

I want to own a Tesla
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Gehrig Industries » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:51 pm

*throws some daps at cram*
Gehrig Industries
Special Gehrig Rank

Postby Gehrig Industries » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:55 am

Elon is going to design an open source hyperloop within the next 6 weeks. What a guy.
Gehrig Industries
Special Gehrig Rank

Postby deadwolfbones » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:14 am

Gehrig Industries wrote:*throws some daps at cram*

Forreal.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby d2michael » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:18 pm

how much weed does this guy smoke to come up with his ideas? Tubes? gimme a break.
d2michael

Postby Gehrig Industries » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Gehrig Industries
Special Gehrig Rank

Postby an otter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:31 pm

d2michael wrote:how much weed does this guy smoke to come up with his ideas? Tubes? gimme a break.

Musk provided the initial concept for SolarCity, where he remains the largest shareholder and chairman of the board. SolarCity is the largest provider of solar power systems in the United States. His cousin Lyndon Rive is the CEO and co-founder.[37][38] The underlying motivation for funding both SolarCity and Tesla is to help combat global warming.[39]
Musk has attended the Burning Man festival, and says that he first thought up the idea for SolarCity at the 2004 festival.[40]
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby dmitry » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:34 pm

It's funny how everyone from PayPal is the biggest stupidest douche now (Levchin is pretty cool though) but Elon Musk pwns
because Musk was the Boring Business Man while the others were nerds
dmitry

Postby Gehrig Industries » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:44 pm

jolly hotdog wrote:It's funny how everyone from PayPal is the biggest stupidest douche now (Levchin is pretty cool though) but Elon Musk pwns
because Musk was the Boring Business Man while the others were nerds

In my head, Elon Musk is the Nerd Pied Piper, attracting all the best nerds to talk to him about all their ideas. Then he gets excited about the best thoughts he comes across actually does something with them.

Like, I'm pretty sure the idea of the hyperloop didn't just come to him in a dream.
Gehrig Industries
Special Gehrig Rank

Postby JUGLIFE » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:49 pm

in my dreams, he comes to (on) me
My name is Jugdish, and I am The President of Hipinion
JUGLIFE
ok

Postby fester » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:50 pm

his next idea is gonna sink fleshlight for good
------------
fester

Postby Gehrig Industries » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:50 pm

I bet when Elon Musk is on a date with some famous model (who probably doesn't even know who Elon Musk is, but she'll google him when she gets home), he is kind of just hoping that he doesn't end up having to talk about Paypal because he is embarrassed that he wasted like multiple years of his life getting rich on internet payment processing
Gehrig Industries
Special Gehrig Rank

Postby an otter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:52 pm

i'm pretty sure the idea of the hyperloop came by william murdoch in 1836. musk is tremendously sharp, but this is a money game. he just has the cash to prototype these stoned ideas, the opportunity to present them as a better way (that cali bullet train being a shitshow), and the fame to present them to major outlets. nobody else who actually wanted to make giant pneumatic tubes has had the cash or the reason to explore the idea, but it has been explored before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatic ... sportation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vactrain
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby dmitry » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:52 pm

But that would just make him a good investor (and asking if he's just gotten lucky three times would be appropriate). Instead he has gone after ideas traditionally seen as really stupid - electric cars especially

Neither electric cars nor private space travel were novel, Tesla and SpaceX are just combinations of a lot of luck and good execution. Hyperloop I dunno.
It seems to me like he's the first person who's both good at business and interested in making the more audacious science fiction technologies real.
dmitry

Postby an otter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:54 pm

i mean the guy's a new-money billionaire who owns his own space company and is pro-solar. i'd just make him president and let him built out whatever the hell he wanted. dude seems great.
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby Gehrig Industries » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:19 pm

If you've seen the Batman...the Chris Nolan version, the recent one. It's pretty freaking awesome. You've got incredible special effects, great script, multiple takes, amazing actors, great sound. It's amazing. If you were to instead say...let's take the same script. Let's at least give them the same script. But we're going to have it performed by the local troupe. In every small town in America, movies don't exist and they have to recreate The Dark Knight. Home sewn costumes, jumping across the stage, not quite getting the lines correct, the actors don't look right. That would suck. It would be terrible. That's education.
Last edited by Gehrig Industries on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gehrig Industries
Special Gehrig Rank

Postby dmitry » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:20 pm

Holy shit they're serious about this

http://www.spacex.com/hyperloop
dmitry

Postby Grey Poupon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:41 pm

I half expected this thread to be about a peripheral star wars alien

Instead I'll open up my 1970s space travel books and look at the vacuum train page again
Last edited by Grey Poupon on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby Gehrig Industries » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:43 pm

an otter wrote:musk is tremendously sharp, but this is a money game. he just has the cash to prototype these stoned ideas, the opportunity to present them as a better way (that cali bullet train being a shitshow), and the fame to present them to major outlets.

It's not just that. Listen to him talk. He's abrasive in his communication because being careful with his words to the end of being correct all the time when speaking is important to him. I think he considers humoring people a vice that he has given up. I can't think of many CEOs like that, it's usually antithetical to ascending politically or managing people. People like him usually have physics degrees and no friends. I guess he gets away with it because he has Fuck You Money and unreal charisma.
Last edited by Gehrig Industries on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gehrig Industries
Special Gehrig Rank

Postby death is my amigo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Gehrig Industries wrote:If you've seen the Batman...the Chris Nolan version, the recent one. It's pretty freaking awesome. You've got incredible special effects, great script, multiple takes, amazing actors, great sound. It's amazing. If you were to instead say...let's take the same script. Let's at least give them the same script. But we're going to have it performed by the local troupe. In every small town in America, movies don't exist and they have to recreate The Dark Knight. Home sewn costumes, jumping across the stage, not quite getting the lines correct, the actors don't look right. That would suck. It would be terrible. That's education.

Oh wow.
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
death is my amigo
ok

Postby dmitry » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:46 pm

dmitry

Postby Gehrig Industries » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:02 am

jolly hotdog wrote:Holy shit they're serious about this

http://www.spacex.com/hyperloop

I read the layman part of this tonight and then looked at the pretty pictures sprinkled in the technical bits.

I'm now ready to proselytize this technology in need of funding.
Gehrig Industries
Special Gehrig Rank

Postby dr. badvibes » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:41 am

i don't know how often i'd want to be in a steel tube with 5 strangers and not even a token authority figure present

it'd be like lord of the flies in 40 minutes 100 times a day. truly a social experiment...
dr. badvibes

Postby sako » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:39 am

eventhough i think he is just talking out of his ass re: tubethingy, i got a kick out of this:

"In fact, it was the high cost of the California train that prompted Musk to research the Hyperloop in the first place."How could it be that the home of Silicon Valley and JPL -- doing incredible things like indexing all the world's knowledge and putting rovers on Mars -- would build a bullet train that is both one of the most expensive per mile and one of the slowest in the world," he wrote.
i bought all the sodas at the gas station
sako

Postby sako » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:41 am

anyway ive been loosely following this guy for a few years now and some of the stuff he says is remarkable and the other half are things 13 year-olds would say
i bought all the sodas at the gas station
sako

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....