Rec.Music.Phish

'Cause I've been postin' and laughin' so long
That even my momma thinks that my mind is gone

Postby v h g » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:59 pm

tasted v good to me
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.

v h g

Postby v h g » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:01 pm

good toop

I think I've only seen one Taste and I think it was by far the longest ever but prob don't mention it to Franco

v h g

Postby Althea » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:05 pm

Whoa you saw the Kalamazoo 99 Taste?
The cosmos, sorry (she/her)

Althea

Postby v h g » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:29 pm

omg the throat pulling thing at the end of Brother

v h g

Postby k_uger » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:35 pm

I haven’t seen enough tastes

my fav that I’ve seen was 8/15/09
they/he
Legs worn as pants —

k_uger

Postby Althea » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:37 pm

I'd give up some limbs to see some tastes

Althea

Postby k_uger » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:38 pm

as much as a huge release of glow sticks in a big moment (like the tweezer drop) was cool for a minute there in the modern era

I always liked the more old school glow wars where they’re just being thrown one at a time by more people on a continuous loop

not the like stop and gather them up and then a hit comes along and a bunch fly and then people stop and gather them and wait

like, that’s 3.0 glow sticks, that’s not the original where you’d just throw them as they landed, which only the best glow wars turned into 3.0 imo
they/he
Legs worn as pants —

k_uger

Postby guy forget » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:41 pm

look i'm not saying i'm better than anyone else, but grab-n-throw has always been my glowstick strategy
VHGisdead wrote:speaking of deemster vape pens

guy forget

Postby k_uger » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:47 pm

TY
they/he
Legs worn as pants —

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:48 pm

let the kids scramble around collecting them, keeps em off drugs or whatever

or on drugs

whatever works
they/he
Legs worn as pants —

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:48 pm

not me tho, and if I see adults doing it... get a life and listen to the music
they/he
Legs worn as pants —

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:50 pm

this Birds > 2001 > Brother has long been a very favorite of mine

I always think this is the weak show of the run, but nah.. not at all
they/he
Legs worn as pants —

k_uger

Postby v h g » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:51 pm

Yeah I agree throw yr glowstick

v h g

Postby v h g » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:53 pm

k_uger wrote:this Birds > 2001 > Brother has long been a very favorite of mine

I always think this is the weak show of the run, but nah.. not at all

It's so good

v h g

Postby k_uger » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:56 pm

never forget at 12/30/16 I had bandages on my hands from my stigmata, aka wiping out drunk on concrete and scratching my hands up

so I kept my fingerless gloves on all show cuz they held my hand bandages on

and the stupid fucking girl next to me kept going “ITS LIKE YOURE TRYING TO LOOK COOL OR SOMETJINF CAM U TAKE TJOSE OFFFF OMGGGG”

her partner was like “um, he told you it’s holding on bandages...”

then meanwhile she’s crawling all over the floor to find beer coated glow sticks to shove into her hair

like, we’re all wearing a uniform at all times.. and hoping to look cool or funny or likable or approachable or sexy or SOMETHING... that shit drives me fucking nuts
they/he
Legs worn as pants —

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:58 pm

shut up and watch the show, I’m in less of a uniform than glow suit man
they/he
Legs worn as pants —

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:59 pm

(love glow suit man.. best for telling people where you are in an indoor show... I’m directly across from glow suit man... NOW)
they/he
Legs worn as pants —

k_uger

Postby Althea » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:06 pm

There was a glow suit man in the same section as me on one of the last two nights of the bakers dozen, I remember him just chilling most of the time instead of dancing, but fair enough that was a long couple of weeks

Althea

Postby k_uger » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:13 pm

LOL maybe he’s a glowsuit man for his 9-5

and this was just his ME time
they/he
Legs worn as pants —

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:51 pm

I think my favorite part about that show was that fucking Lizards, holy shit that was good

as for my continuing adventures of Summer 97, I have a few updated reports (none with full on aural orgasms though, not until Alpine or Star Lake)

8/6/97 Riverport Amp, MO - I really liked this show! it’s got kind of a lower rating like the show that follows, but it’s got a very cool Stash in the second slot, followed by Twist > 2001 soon after.. the Stashes this summer have all been great type 1.5 jams, super engaging.. ditto the Twists (apart from the full on type 2 in 7/29) and I’m surprised how often it’s played this tour considering it dropped off in 98 and didn’t renter rotation until 99

the YEM and Runaway Jim from this show I like more than 7/31/97, I just think they’re a little more interesting.. that Shoreline YEM is a little dissonant for me, even though it’s a classic.. this one covers a little more ground without sacrificing originality and is just more fun.. both Jim’s are really excellent, with Shoreline’s being much thumpier, think 12/31/95, but this one again was more unique to my ears, catching some cool type 2 territory before an awesome -> My Soul.. again, I liked this Ghost more than the Gorge’s more canonical rocker, it hangs on the funk a little more

kind of like how 8/2/97 is probably the better show than 8/3, but I liked 8/3 more... 7/31 is better than this show, but I liked this one more.. not that they all have to be compared per se

8/8/97 Tinley Park, Il - has always been regarded as the dud of the tour and I’ve never really understood why.. I used to have this show on my work computer in college and I’ve listened to it a bunch, though it’s been over a decade.. the only real problem is it’s super short.. the CTB, Gumbo, Lizards to start the show is awesome, with a real funky CTB and only the second jammed Gumbo, which is 15 minutes of great cow funk with a nice build at the end.. the set wraps up kinda quick after that, but It’s Ice has a cool down tempo minimalist mid jam

the Wolfman’s > Free to open set 2 is GREAT, but things again seem to wind to a close way too early with Limb, Loving Cup, Prince Caspian, Chalk Dust sort of closing things out before it gets much of a chance to stretch out.. so yea, def one of the “worst” shows of the summer, especially experientially, but it’s great to listen to! and the Sugar Blue sit in for the encore is REALLY fun.. dude wails on that harmonica!

on to 8/9 Alpine, which is one of my favorites!
they/he
Legs worn as pants —

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:43 pm

got a few tunes into 8/9/97 Alpine this morning.. what a start to that show, the Theme is absolutely incredible, one of the best versions I’ve heard.. PYITE is fiery as hell, and then the Ghost starts upbeat and funky before drifting into a beautiful ambient coda

then I got news that my favorite bartender passed away suddenly.. don’t typically think of phish as bereavement music, but she was a huge phan (Ween too.. Monique the Freak!) and it’s helping at least a bit
they/he
Legs worn as pants —

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:26 pm

8/9/97 Alpine cont. — Taste second to maybe only 8/3 for this summer.. I think I liked that one more than 7/22, minus the thunder and crowd reacts

I’ve listened to that Reba a bunch so I wasn’t zoomed in super tight, but it’s really excellent.. and opening up the second set with Wilson > Foam in 97 is super bold and awesome.. this Foam is so good too, honestly one of the best versions I know of
they/he
Legs worn as pants —

k_uger

Postby Althea » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:43 pm

Page made an album of Vangelis worship with the most Otto-from-the-Simpsons sounding title. Really promising first track:

https://www.jambase.com/article/page-mcconnell-new-album-maybe-were-the-visitors-single

Althea

Postby k_uger » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:11 pm

I also would have accepted:

Page is From Venus, Mike is From Mars
they/he
Legs worn as pants —

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:33 pm

oh wow that 8/9 Mike’s is absolutely the baby bro of 11/22 (even.. though it’s older)

the rhythmic jam they get into is similar to that theme in Hampton (BABADA BUM, BUM... BUMP! BUMP!) and then the more serene space they get into resembles the pre H2 jam, only it flows smoothly into Ain’t Love Funny, which is so fucking perfect in there... one of my favorite covers that was only played a few times, it’s just so Mike.. country swagger and harmonies, but with this drone coming from these big notes ringing on his (slightly affected) bass and Trey drenched in reverb or a slight echo or something
they/he
Legs worn as pants —

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:45 pm

ahhhh and the -> Simple is sooo good, they pick up an unrelated jam off of Ain’t Love Funny and Fishman kicks into the Simple beat as Trey goes wahwah rock star over top with these tremendous licks, and then they just kick into Simple

and I still have > Swept Away > Steep > SoaMule, Slave > Weekapaug

tops of the year for me, up there with like.. 2/17 Amsterdam, Hampton 2, Rochester, & Denver
they/he
Legs worn as pants —

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:48 pm

meanwhile VHG and Guy are carving PAGE into mounds of mashed potatoes but they haven’t figured out why yet
they/he
Legs worn as pants —

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:56 pm

man I’m burying my own dumb jokes but this show is just so good... absolutely insane mule duel
they/he
Legs worn as pants —

k_uger

Postby Kenny » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:03 am

Have Phish given any info about whether they might do a streaming show ever? That'd be interesting/cool to watch
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT]

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Fuck being hard, Petty is complicated. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

My videogame collection on Backloggery

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Althea » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:20 am

Last fall Trey did a series of livestreams from the stage of the Beacon Theatre in Manhattan with a few of his solo band members plus other musicians rotating in and out. Up until then he'd seemed pretty negative about doing streams but it seemed like the experience warmed him up to the idea a lot. I don't know what they're thinking now, if they're trying to do summer tour as scheduled or even a fall tour then they're probably focused on that. My gut tells me the time for a live show from the barn or whatever has passed, but even if summer tour happened it would basically be a livestream-only event to non-US phans anyway.

Althea

PreviousNext

Return to Poster's Paradise