Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby k_uger » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:17 pm

I haven’t listened to them in 10 years but I still think Sublime is very good... they’ve been spoiled, but ultimately they’re one of the wildest genre fuck fusion bands of that era, with artistic merits in ska, punk, reggae, dub... songwriting, instrumentals, straight up guitar gnarliness...

it’s all about Pool Shark... holy shit. I guess I’d like any song where someone accurately predicts their own death, but the dichotomy of the hardcore and acoustic versions on Robbin the Hood is everything you need to know about this band.. ahhh and the cover of Steppin Razor with the drum machine shit... this has always been a wildly creative band, way more than the dorm room jock fodder they became
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby k_uger » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:24 pm

I’m disappointed how much I’m enjoying revising them... thanks a lot guys

they really do have some of my favorite bass and drum grooves period... badfish is absolutely gorgeous
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby Franco » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:41 pm

What sublime did to scarlet begonias is utterly disqualifying but yeah, they had good songs
Franco

Postby Franco » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:45 pm

Not just good songs, I agree with k uger. It was a singular, very impressive confluence of a lot of shit swirling around in the early 90s.

But they also took a huge ol dump on Scarlet Begonias
Last edited by Franco on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franco

Postby k_uger » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:47 pm

no way that cover rules
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby Franco » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:48 pm

Grrrrrrr
Franco

Postby k_uger » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:53 pm

you know... rubadub square!
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby Franco » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:56 pm

tfw you’re walking down rubadub square
Franco

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:57 pm

That cover is how I discovered the dead but it's pretty bad
rich uncle skeleton

Postby guy forget » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:26 pm

Franco wrote:tfw you’re walking down rubadub square

:D
guy forget

Postby Althea » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:25 am

C'mon, clearly these are Hunter's original unused lyrics:

It was the summer of love and I thank the stars above
Because the women took a lovin' over me
And just to gain her trust, I bought a microbus
Because I sold off all my personal property
A tight tye-dyed dress, she was a psychedelic mess
We toured to the north, south, east and west
We sold some mushroom tea,
We sold some ecstasy,
We sold nitrous, opium, acid, heroin and PCP
And now I hear the police coming after me
Althea

Postby guy forget » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:14 am

k_uger wrote:I’m disappointed how much I’m enjoying revising them... thanks a lot guys

they really do have some of my favorite bass and drum grooves period... badfish is absolutely gorgeous

yeah man it's 2am but i think sublime might sorta rule?
guy forget

Postby jewels » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:09 am

guy forget wrote:Yeah that’s the best of the GOTF bunch

I didn't realize “about to run” was GOTF, that would explain why Trey in particular was so in the pocket on a song's debut.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby k_uger » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:55 am

I think where sublime is overlooked is their really strong threads of ska, punk, dub, and hardcore.. that’s more their essence to me than white boy reggae, and also the key parts that are overlooked or misunderstood by the “smoke two joints” crowd

as for Scarlet Begonias, the cheese did not age well, but I appreciate the dub influenced take on it, I love the nod to the dead, and I’ll always be a little nostalgic because I got into the two somewhat at the same time... Scarlet > Touch > Fire from Greek 84 was a very early track for me in my 14 year old just starting to smoke pot and making mix cds to listen to on my discman while stoned phase

those same mixes also had kottonmouth kings, they might be giants, and herbie hancock... I was a weird kid in a very transitional phase.. it all changed when I heard Zeppelin I in the car with my dad, I threw a lot of crappy late 90’s/early 00’s era music out the window when I first heard that album, and plunged full into late 60’s rock, prog, Floyd, mahavishnu, and all sorts of stuff before coming across Junta eventually sophomore year of high school
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby k_uger » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:57 am

just getting around to the second set of MPP1, btw... Page in that Ghost peak is AMAZING, def a "rip cord" (god I hate that expression, it's so entitled, but occasionally true)... but then Fish in the fucking Axilla.. oh my god, sometimes I forget to listen to little shit like that, and I forget that that's what Trey's listening and getting jazzed on constantly.. I just heard a little snippet of him on Phish Radio talking about how Chalk Dust Torture is one of his very favorite tunes, and he highlighted Fish's work on hi hat specifically.. I've never listened to Chalk Dust and thought about what Fish is doing on the hi hat, so I've been missing one of Trey's favorite parts of his favorite songs for my entire phandom!
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby k_uger » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:59 am

I've always said if I have a clear view of Fish during a show, I'll have the best time no matter what they play, since watching him means I'll be super dialed in to the minutiae of what makes the band so special..
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby howiep » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:33 am

I would def pay for Live Phish webcasts of every show if there was a Fish only cam version.
howiep

Postby powderfinger » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:49 am

k_uger wrote:just getting around to the second set of MPP1, btw... Page in that Ghost peak is AMAZING, def a "rip cord" (god I hate that expression, it's so entitled, but occasionally true)... but then Fish in the fucking Axilla.. oh my god, sometimes I forget to listen to little shit like that, and I forget that that's what Trey's listening and getting jazzed on constantly.. I just heard a little snippet of him on Phish Radio talking about how Chalk Dust Torture is one of his very favorite tunes, and he highlighted Fish's work on hi hat specifically.. I've never listened to Chalk Dust and thought about what Fish is doing on the hi hat, so I've been missing one of Trey's favorite parts of his favorite songs for my entire phandom!

I was pumped for that Axilla but in retrospect the set kinda went sideways from there.

However it set me up for pure joy the next night when Crosseyed got to a similar point and instead they mindmelded and kept the groove for another 30 minutes before that perfect landing into Twist.
powderfinger

Postby ted dibiase » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:18 am

I met a guy before Toronto wearing this shirt
<---
ted dibiase

Postby guy forget » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:19 am

Isn’t that a MotelSymphonies original?

Dude is extremely indirectly responsible for me boarding here
guy forget

Postby jewels » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:00 am

Is this the sublime thread? That dude plays the guitar like a mutherfucking riot.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby Althea » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:11 am

It's possible I heard the Sublime Scarlet before the Dead one and I really enjoyed hearing it again.
Althea

Postby Althea » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:12 am

Definitely heard the Minutemen first through the sample on a Sublime song
Althea

Postby guy forget » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:22 am

Quigley wrote:It's possible I heard the Sublime Scarlet before the Dead one and I really enjoyed hearing it again.

Oh I 100% did
guy forget

Postby jewels » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:25 am

I first heard scarlet on a cassette bootleg of a 77 show because I’m incredibly cool
jewels

Postby guy forget » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:26 am

*old
guy forget

Postby jewels » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:20 pm

And a younger brother
jewels

Postby k_uger » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:50 pm

MotelSymphonies & Trey Dinosaur - what a bust out

MOVE OVER, DESTINY UNBOUND!
we are mrs pizza shit
k_uger

Postby ted dibiase » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:09 pm

guy forget wrote:Isn’t that a MotelSymphonies original?

Dude is extremely indirectly responsible for me boarding here

I don't remember the origin, but wasn't it a long running PT joke? (I think from after I quit going to PT)
ted dibiase

Postby guy forget » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:20 pm

Yeah he was the boarder on there who I think designed the TreyDinosaur back in the day (~04-05)
guy forget

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....