Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Franco » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:36 pm

For me it’s complicated by and always seen through the lens of who I know a large portion of his audience is. We’ve all spent way too much observing those circles online and I shudder at any attempt that lumps me in with them anymore than just existing in an audience together.

Franco

Postby Franco » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:38 pm

Engaging topically like this will always be tough as he dips in and out on a whim and provides only jigsaw pieces worth of solid foundation as to what place specifically the voice is speaking from.

Franco

Postby Franco » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:58 pm

Shoulda never put Clif Bars into a song lyric. Chilling in hindsight. I don’t want a Phish experience that is so hyper aware and informed of itself

Franco

Postby Franco » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:01 pm

Those two words....that chocolatey peanut laden goodness...opened the dam and drowned 25 years of mythology

Franco

Postby Althea » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:27 pm

If he doesn't want to sound like a rich out of touch dude, he can use his time and money to learn about the perspectives and struggles of people less privileged than him. Or just help give some of them a platform to speak for themselves. There's nothing wrong with him telling old war stories, but he's not playing to his strengths or helping anyone by making these half-assed political statements, and I think he's doing some actual damage when he proudly proclaims that he doesn't care about politics. (NB I'm talking about his stage banter only, so I'm not getting into whether an artist has a duty to make political art or to make the "right" kind of political art.)

(It's election night in Canada so I'm feeling a bit grumpy about politics, take this with a grain of salt.)

Althea

Postby k_uger » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:29 pm

I feel like we could go circular with this for a long time...

he's an AA guy, if he goes daily he's undoubtedly doing service first of all...

I'm just so confused how telling old war stories is better than him sticking his foot in his mouth trying to be positive from his bullshit rich/cis/white/male position... is it because when he's telling old war stories we all collectively forget the privileged position we're in? isn't that really fucking selfish of all of us, like it's cool, Trey, if you just make us laugh and sing about weasels... but if we realize how privileged and full of shit he is, then we remember it about ourselves for being here giving him our money?
guy forget wrote:it's hard to argue with the wheel

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:35 pm

I don't feel like this conversation is being made with the mutual understanding that we ALL are smarty pants lefty snark enough to be of the opinion that - "kumbaya" is a crock of shit, Trey, it does me no good to hear you say we just need to put down our phones and RISE/COME TOGETHER.. we already know we all agree on that

that's why I feel like pouting about it is really self serving.. like we're patting ourselves on the back for being above something we *KNEW* we were above already

I agree, Franco, when you say "I shudder at any attempt that lumps me in with them anymore than just existing in an audience together" when you're talking about Phish... But I wear that badge in any group of people I've ever been in, so Phish isn't unique in that aspect. working from the framework that most of the people in the audience (or indeed most people in the world) are just fucking stupid, it does, at the very least, improve the odds of me maybe getting treated better by some hippie chad after he hears Trey tell everybody to treat each other well, or Mickey Hart (of all people) saying be kind.. I feel like it decreases the odds, however so slightly, of me having a horrible time in a group of people that I risk having a horrible time in any time I enter it, so, there's at least some points I can give it

I dunno, I'm sick and high on cough syrup now and I don't know what I'm talking about anymore
Last edited by k_uger on Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k_uger

Postby k_uger » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:37 pm

and Althea - I'm sorry for the ongoing reminder of national shame that nights like these bring, no matter what stupid country you live in

k_uger

Postby guy forget » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:40 pm

As a wise old boarder once said, “gotta post about somethin’”
VHGisdead wrote:speaking of deemster vape pens

guy forget

Postby Franco » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:43 pm

You’re right. Not everyone has the luxury of mindlessly existing in an audience

Franco

Postby k_uger » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:49 pm

Franco wrote:Engaging topically like this will always be tough as he dips in and out on a whim and provides only jigsaw pieces worth of solid foundation as to what place specifically the voice is speaking from.

this is a really good post, btw, and gives me a LOT to think about

k_uger

Postby Dinosauria We » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:46 pm

Althea wrote: There's nothing wrong with him telling old war stories, but he's not playing to his strengths or helping anyone by making these half-assed political statements, and I think he's doing some actual damage when he proudly proclaims that he doesn't care about politics.

I agree with this. Clearly Trey doesn't have any sort of agenda beyond let's all just be cool and happy together and that is a wonderful aspirational thing. But we are not there. We will not be making it there in our lifetimes. Will we have it in individual moments? Yes. But there are very real and very harmful forces at play and to sort of treat them as though they don't exist, especially when you sit in a place of such influence, is damaging. Imagine the person that really clings to and identifies with that messaging. The moment when they stand face to face with a person of unknowable struggle and their general response is, "You see, I am just like you, and..." That is extremely harmful. Or, "Those guys were saying racist things on lot, but they're not sooooo bad." I don't need to know the ins and outs of Trey's sociopolitical belief system, but an acknowledgement of reality would be appreciated if he's going to speak on this stuff at all.

Oh and the "crackhead," piece wasn't a good look. I just find that term to be so fucking demeaning and racist and the way it's become part of our everyday language baffles me (I feel the same way about people that say, "OMG you are soooo bi-polar"). His use of the word, in my opinion, was not to be funny, but the nervous manifestation of the implicit associations he has with people of disadvantage. So nervous that he exclaimed, "Remember crack?!...I actually prefer the real crack."

Ultimately, I think Franco may have said it, this was only a fragment of what exists in this guy's mind on these topics. What we got was about 3 minutes of stage banter and that is hardly enough for me to conclude one thing or another about his views (I think he probably most wanted to make a statement about viewing life through our phones, being plugged in all the time, etc). What I can say is that I expect a bit more from him or at least had hoped that he'd demonstrate greater awareness of life outside of his bubble.

Dinosauria We

Postby Althea » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:26 pm

k_uger wrote:I feel like it decreases the odds, however so slightly, of me having a horrible time in a group of people that I risk having a horrible time in any time I enter it, so, there's at least some points I can give it.

This is a good point, as someone with similar concerns. He could be expressing this stuff in a more considered way - fuckin Mickey Hart expressed it better than Trey did. Expecting an artist to be as good at talking as they are at their art is unrealistic I know. But if one bonehead hears Trey and that stops him from ruining some vulnerable person's show the next time, that's a win. I say that as someone who's had a (non-phish) show ruined by an aggressive bonehead recently.

Althea

Postby VHGisdead » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:29 pm

I just traded a ticket to see the buzzy bird band for a ticket to see Phish in section 11 at NYCB LIVE, home of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum presented by New York Community Bank
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.

VHGisdead

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:53 pm

Damn that’s so sick you were able to make that happen VHG! Would love to hit that show but looking less and less likely

rich uncle skeleton

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:53 pm

The Phish show not the bird band

rich uncle skeleton

Postby VHGisdead » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:51 pm

I'm very stoked. And I was honestly gonna go see the bird band after the GP set that night but once I realized that people were selling their souls for those tickets I figured I could make a fair trade. I did have to pay 90 bucks on CoT for the face difference.

actually I even had someone message me saying she was so desperate for a Goose ticket that she was considering buying a Nassau just to trade it to me!!!

VHGisdead

Postby guy forget » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:48 am

Ok NOW we have phish at the met

guy forget

Postby guy forget » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:48 am

How many Goose tix = 1 Phish Met?

We talkin Weimar Republic level exchange rates?

guy forget

Postby guy forget » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:59 am

It’s sort of a relief I don’t live in philly anymore so I don’t have to be concerned with getting into this shitshow of a show

guy forget

Postby Phil » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:23 am

Has a single one of the tiny-venue 3.0 shows been better than ok?

Phil

Postby Althea » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:25 pm

Glens Falls was maybe 2x the capacity of the Met and it was great. How many people were at Mexico? I agree though, the single nighters and the small venue shows are generally not top tier phish.

Althea

Postby Dinosauria We » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:59 am

Just putting this in here because CoT has been a nightmare - if anyone comes across an extra for Providence N1, please hit me up. I was fortunate to grab a single N2 yesterday.

Dinosauria We

Postby aqxmission » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:16 pm

Starting to think Providence may not work out for me... struck out in the lottery and was 100% unsuccessful in the general onsale on TM. I was thinking aftermarket prices would get somewhat reasonable at some point, but the cheapest tickets on StubHub for Saturday right now are $150 upper deckers. If anyone has a line on Saturdays let me know :|

aqxmission

Postby Franco » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:31 am

Today's the day to get your fall 97 listening started. A very good Mikes on opening night

Franco

Postby VHGisdead » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:09 am

I've taken a little phish break recently and am feeling refreshed and ready to go

VHGisdead

Postby VHGisdead » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:11 am

damn I didn't realize providence was still that high on the secondary market

VHGisdead

Postby VHGisdead » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:20 am

kinda great how not-funky-enough this first ever Black-Eyed Katy is. This is a good tour

VHGisdead

Postby Franco » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:43 am

Insane Stash that I just revisited. OPEN MORE SECOND SETS WITH STASH

Franco

Postby VHGisdead » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:31 am

woww that stands up to those great 95 Stashes huh

VHGisdead

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....