We'll kick your ass in

Postby high bias » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:50 pm

yeah probably my favorite song on the album

edit: re sleeping volcanoes

high bias

Postby antoine » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:35 pm

high bias wrote:yeah probably my favorite song on the album

edit: re sleeping volcanoes

Yeah I can't stop playing it. Also I think it finally just don donned me of the double meaning in the line "we're all over the world". Great song.

antoine

Postby fresh » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:39 pm

uncledoj wrote:Anyone seen him on the current tour? How is he live, and is it with a full band?

i don’t know much about his music/not much of a fan but i caught his show a couple days ago. full band, actually a lil jammy for my tastes but i still enjoyed it. had a dude on sax come up for a few songs, that was rad
"Proof that I am not an indie rock snob: I really don't like the Shins."

fresh

Postby brent » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:59 pm

i'm pretty amped for the frothy pit

Country singer Wynonna Judd has shared a new song co-written with Cass McCombs. It’s called “The Child” and you can hear it below. In addition to the new song, Judd and McCombs will perform under the monicker The Frothy Pit at this year’s AMERICANAFEST at Nashville’s Mercy Lounge on Thursday, September 12.

Of the collaboration, McCombs writes, “Like many people, I grew up listening to The Judds. Needless to say, it’s been a real honor to collaborate with Wynonna, co-writing ‘The Child’ together and stepping into the uncharted terrain of The Frothy Pit.” Judd commented, “Getting to work with artists like Cass McCombs has broadened my musical horizons and made me even more grateful that even after 35 years I still love the creative process.”

Cass McCombs released his latest album, Tip of the Sphere, earlier this year. A poetry book is on the way. Wynonna & The Big Noise’s self-titled album arrived in 2016.

brent

Postby ripersnifle » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:05 pm

the new stunning Blake Mills single is a Cass co-write!

(feel like you can definitely hear it)
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.

ripersnifle

Postby variegated reality » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:45 pm

Oh hell yeah that's great to hear that they're doing stuff together again. That Cass tour many years ago when Blake was in the band was sick.

variegated reality

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:24 pm

ripersnifle wrote:the new stunning Blake Mills single is a Cass co-write!

another new song

holy shit
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.

ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:30 pm

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/05/784818349/songs-our-emergency-how-music-approaching-climate-change-crisis
Blake Mills knows that coastline in flames well.

Born in Santa Monica and raised in Malibu, the songwriter and star producer, once called "the last guitarist I heard that I thought was phenomenal" by Eric Clapton, is conditioned to months of perpetually balmy days, interrupted with occasional downpours as fall slides into winter. But a few years ago that rain was slow to come, and the landscape around Los Angeles felt like a tinderbox. When, at last, storms arrived, a friend joked to Mills that maybe it would be the last rain ever for Los Angeles. The storm's petrichor, Mills remembers, smelled of nostalgia.

Mills sat down at his piano and began to ponder what that might mean. The result — a sobering, tender ballad called "Summer All Over" — teeters at the threshold of hope and despair. With his sigh caked on the keys like mud at the bottom of some drought-devastated lake, Mills tempers his quiet horror by "looking for laughter, looking for kindness," for any human quality that aims to right our colossal wrongs. Mills captures that seesaw of feelings musically with a pervasive flicker of melodic dissonance. Electronics drift in the background, like smog hovering above a troubled valley.

"Writing about the season of summer inherently evokes a Beach Boys vibe, maybe because I'm in Los Angeles," says Mills, who penned the song with Cass McCombs and hopes to release it on his third album. "But the implication of the warmest season happening all over the world at the same time is an 'endless summer.' "

He notes the sad irony of a term that, less than 50 years ago, belonged to a relatively carefree Beach Boys collection. But "Summer All Over," an enticing title that suggests burnished bodies on a California shoreline, is tragically beautiful, a warm hug from an old ghost. Rock and roll can't be all good times on the bleeding edge of environmental ruin.

ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Wed May 06, 2020 12:15 am

ripersnifle

Postby Brevity » Wed May 06, 2020 2:23 am

Holy shit

Brevity

Postby Grey Poupon » Wed May 06, 2020 3:19 am

hell yeah soft rock

trying to put my finger on what 70s sappy tune it reminds me with the vocal treatment of but I think it's one of those tunes everybody knows but can't name that you only ever hear it on classic rock radio and
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Grey Poupon

Postby lockheed » Wed May 06, 2020 5:59 am

got stoned this morning and listened to mangy love in bed with big headphones, i had never heard it before. i love wit's end and everything that came before, but just lost touch for a while and haven't heard anything since that record.

mangy love is really really good
Nice day if it doesn't rain.

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby lockheed » Wed May 06, 2020 6:11 am

"low flyin' bird" and "i'm a shoe" are probably my favorites on first impression

low flyin bird is so goddamn good

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby lockheed » Wed May 06, 2020 6:18 am

oh and medusa's outhouse too

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby ripersnifle » Wed May 06, 2020 9:29 am

ripersnifle wrote:
why is this video hilarious to me lol

ripersnifle

Postby brent » Wed May 06, 2020 9:31 am

Grey Poupon wrote:hell yeah soft rock

trying to put my finger on what 70s sappy tune it reminds me with the vocal treatment of but I think it's one of those tunes everybody knows but can't name that you only ever hear it on classic rock radio and

the chorus reminds me a bit of comfortably numb?

great song

brent

Postby ripersnifle » Wed May 06, 2020 9:33 am

lockheed wrote:mangy love is really really good
yeah ML is super weird and sick. i think i have some posts upthread where i was working thru my relationship to it lol

ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Thu May 07, 2020 10:46 am

ripersnifle wrote:
ripersnifle wrote:the new stunning Blake Mills single is a Cass co-write!

another new song

holy shit
(leak thread for this - definitely has some Cass-y moments)

ripersnifle

Postby mellowgold » Fri May 08, 2020 7:50 am

i like the new song
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby ripersnifle » Fri May 08, 2020 11:21 am

i'm completely obsessed with the Mills album
insanely balm

ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Fri May 08, 2020 4:28 pm

i know i've shared this mix a few times on the board but damn it's destroying me rn again
it's the Domino Radio Cass Rarities/B-Sides mix c. 2011-12 (i think)
Code: Select all
https://anonymousfiles.io/aajYO69F/
the live arrangement of "city of brotherly love" at the end is so sick

ripersnifle

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....