Postby Bartatua » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:34 pm

i want someone to rank the parts
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua

Postby virile » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:03 pm

mercenaries of slime wrote:or i can just post what i want

virile

Postby RIXX » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:34 am

kinda seems like pr damage control a little but snyder does seem like a really nice guy. i will never understand how actors can work in purely greenscreen environments though, i guess you just have to use your imagination really hard?? does the pre-viz at least render in realtime on the monitors so the crew can get some idea of what the actual image will look like?

RIXX

Postby avenue » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:36 am

avenue

Postby Drinky » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:40 am

RIXX wrote:does the pre-viz at least render in realtime on the monitors so the crew can get some idea of what the actual image will look like?

Nope. Generally previs is worked out well beforehand and is basically just a pre-rendered animated video that the actors can watch for reference (if the directors allow it). It isn't really designed as acting reference although actors are occasionally directed to match it for like general gestures and stuff.

I think virtual production generally works where you can see previs versions of CG sets and characters when looking through the camera. So say if an actor is wearing a mocap suit playing a CG character, the camera operator can see a basic rendering of that - sort of like AR - while looking through camera, and it's presumably visible on the monitors. I guess this is kind of what you're talking about, but I think it's used way less than just putting actors in front of a green screen and having them imagine everything.

So like one of the advantages of the way Mandalorian is made, at least for the actors, is they're surrounded by a cylindrical LED screen with the CG background mapped onto it plus lots of practical set stuff to interact with.

Drinky

Postby Amblin » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:38 am

i was on set during the mandalorian season one and the previs stuff is loaded up live on the monitors during filming and they match the direction and cinematography right there, and the actors reference it in between takes

a lot of what i saw was stunt work so it was super helpful for matching movement and placement of the performers withing the physical set

Amblin

Postby Drinky » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:22 am

Yeah but the previs is pre-rendered, right? They're matching it, but it's not a real time rendering being derived from live mocap, etc? I've heard/read that every single shot of S2 of Mandalorian was previs-ed, but that means it was animated and rendered in advance to later be matched on set. I've worked with a lot of people who worked on the previs for S2, and some on S1, but aside from hearing their stories about it, I've only watched a few making-of videos that didn't go into a whole lot of detail.

And yeah, from my experience second unit (stunts/VFX heavy action stuff) can often try to match it really closely, while first unit can often use it more loosely or just ignore it altogether, causing lots of fun problems in post!

The one time we got invited on set on Falcon and Winter Soldier, they were doing some stuff with Anthony Mackie up on wires, and Kari Skogland had our previs up on a second monitor beside the live one so she could compare them. Presumably Mackie had seen it and was going off of it for pose reference, but he was just on wires in front of a blue screen with nothing else around him.

Drinky

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:15 am

not at all in the industry, but yes I thought all pre-viz was pre-rendered

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Drinky » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:59 am

Smiling Penner-Lite wrote:not at all in the industry, but yes I thought all pre-viz was pre-rendered

Yeah by definition it is. The other thing where there's live real-time CG viewable in camera is virtual production.

Drinky

Postby Amblin » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:08 am

yeah the previs wasn't live rendered

Amblin

Postby virile » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:58 am

RIXX wrote:Richard brody’s review is just the funniest thing lol

I’ve found the longest movie ever made: it’s not Jacques Rivette’s thirteen-hour “Out 1” or Christian Marclay’s twenty-four-hour supercut, “The Clock,” but the four-hour recut of “Justice League” by its original director, Zack Snyder. It is a grind, it is a slog, it is a bore—it’s a mental toothache of a movie, whose ending grants not so much resolution as relief. It’s also a movie of an inglorious paradox: its sluggishness is inversely proportional to the rapidity of its action, the brevity of its dialogue, and the accelerated pace of its many (oh, so many!) battle scenes. This is largely because its scenes are chopped down to a bare informational minimum, leaving no room for thought or emotion, and also because its tone is so stentorian, so weighty with ostensible importance and ponderous with presumptive authority, that even its rapid parts feel torpid. It’s a not-quite-living imitation of a movie, a self-parody that lacks even a touch of humor—because, at the slightest sting of wit, its entire membrane of fakery would burst and leave hardly a piffle of vapor behind.

this dummy knows some real impressive words
mercenaries of slime wrote:or i can just post what i want

virile

Postby FourLegsGood » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:00 pm

Me: Barkeep, a piffle of vapor, please!

Bartender:
ImageToggle Spoiler
#weirdnight

FourLegsGood

Postby reversemigraine » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:04 pm

Armond loved it, naturally:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/03/movie-review-zack-snyders-justice-league-restored-grand-vision/

Our social reality has become so absurd — political gaslighting has reversed right and wrong, demeaned truth and faith — that Snyder’s reliance on the verities, summoning social unity through myth, goes against the grain. And yet, ZSJL demonstrates the most irrefutable, assuredly flamboyant filmmaking in years. ZSJL gives comic-book myth a classical look that formulaic Marvel movies and Peter Jackson’s unfocussed Lord of the Rings series lacked. Snyder pushes typically flimsy video-game extravagance toward Homer and Malory’s romantic depth. Each of ZSJL’s battle scenes move ingeniously with stunning details: a zigzag bolt of lightning; a cut-off hand still glowing with life force; Cyborg’s intuitive vision of a Russian bear charging a Wall Street bull; plus Flash and Wonder Woman converging at sword point, a moment so rousing that not even Whedon could resist it, now an oldie but goodie.

Of course, he also said the theatrical cut was a masterpiece:

Our culture has lost appreciation for the true aesthetics of cinema, which suffer from competition with inferior forms: television, video games, even comic books themselves with their two-dimensional limitations. This disaster is compounded by Hollywood’s commitment to superhero movies that manipulate the ready-made comic-book audience by appealing to its shallowest adolescent instincts. The Christopher Nolan Batman films, with their pseudo-profound nihilism, were destructive enough. An even worse influence was the Marvel Universe films that lacked artistry. Ironically, Marvel movies also refused the seriousness that Nolan had faked — a feat of such capitalist cunning that it flattered consumers’ egos. Plus, those Nolan and Marvel films were all poorly made.

Zack Snyder’s audacity in creating a comic-book movie renaissance (which began with the complex, ambitious Watchmen) has inspired philistine resentment from reviewers and fanboys who don’t want cinema. They’ve been desensitized to the form’s vitality and richness. (Like civics, art is no longer being taught in schools.) The schoolyard game of lambasting Snyder’s magnificent Man of Steel and the even more intricate Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice almost directly parallels the unsubtle breakdown of our political process. And this year’s post-election delusional praise for the utterly mediocre Wonder Woman is a symptom of our current political paralysis.

By coordinating DC Comics’ superhero characters into the fight against Steppenwolf, Snyder attempts to extend his saga from Dawn of Justice. Studio interference (Warner Bros. envy of the lucrative Marvel franchise) and personal tragedy have prevented Snyder from completing his vision on a scale commensurate with the ever-astonishing Watchmen. But as Aquaman (Jason Momoa), The Flash (Ezra Miller), Cyborg (Ray Fisher), and Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) join Batman (Ben Affleck) in the most-intense-yet fight for human life, what remains of Snyder’s handiwork — after the studio imposed The Avengers dullard Joss Whedon on the final product — is still a triumph.

reversemigraine

Postby tgk » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:12 pm

wild to think that a complaint of nolan is that he's faking his seriousness

tgk

Postby tgk » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:13 am

what is this some kind of suicide squad

tgk

Postby wakeman » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:51 am

Appreciate all the second stringers they are bringing in here, but Gunn is in dire need of a quip editor.

wakeman

Postby light rail coyote » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:54 am

wow that guy was drinking a damn soda during his dramatic introduction that's wacky af

light rail coyote

Postby light rail coyote » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:55 am

and there's a damn shark that talks! that's crazy! but then again thsi is the comics

light rail coyote

Postby .polymer » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:59 am

that shark looks like shit
Sit back and enjoy
The Real McCoy

.polymer

Postby saranclaps » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:00 pm

Idris seems good. Is there anything else comedic where he plays a role with that sort of exasperated, maybe bemused type
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby light rail coyote » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:02 pm

have you ever heard of a little television program called...."the office"

light rail coyote

Postby light rail coyote » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:03 pm

Real McCoy wrote:that shark looks like shit

uhhh you don't understand, his shitty character design is clearly an explicit reference to bart brap's run on the 1970s "tremendous man" "crisis in comicstown" arc, as well as being a backdoor pilot for the new DC+ show "sharkguy and the smack," which itself will be a setup for the sequel film "sewer woman" and it's ensuing continuity.

light rail coyote

Postby .polymer » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:06 pm

long hair michael rooker is gonna make me watch it tho
Sit back and enjoy
The Real McCoy

.polymer

Postby Riverchrist » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:08 pm

Harley Quinn is probably the closest we'll ever get to new Roger Rabbit content.

Riverchrist

Postby surly » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:12 pm

john cena's gonna carry this shit
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

Postby Feech La Manna » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:38 pm

we need to pause all the quips until we can figure out what's going on
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:39 pm