New anime thread

'Cause I've been postin' and laughin' so long
That even my momma thinks that my mind is gone

Postby Robert » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:36 am

LOL

Robert

Postby jca » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:40 am

Link wrote:
And I still cannot watch Wonder Egg Priority, Love Is War season 2, that fishing anime from late 2020 or just about anything new that actually looks interesting to me. Just basking in the misery of Attack on Titan because there's few real alternatives to the cookie cutter shit that every new season rolls out.

i swear i saw Love is War season 2 on hulu at some point

jca

Postby shizaam » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:23 am

damn, ping pong is easily in my all top favorites, might be my favorite yuasa too. grew up swimming competitively, got injured, the whole arc, and so much of this captured those struggles and emotions in a way I’ve never seen anything else pull it off (different sport of course but the connections with talent, dedication, etc are all there). The way it weaves in doubts or ego via VO or the jagged split screens that creep in mid-match was perfect. I need to track down the manga.
Last edited by shizaam on Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

shizaam

Postby shizaam » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:18 pm

shizaam

Postby HotFingersClub » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:59 am

shizaam wrote:damn, ping pong is easily in my all top favorites, might be my favorite yuasa too. grew up swimming competitively swimming, got injured, the whole arc, and so much of this captured those struggles and emotions in a way I’ve never seen anything else pull it off (different sport of course but the connections with talent, dedication, etc are all there). The way it weaves in doubts or ego via VO or the jagged split screens that creep in mid-match was perfect. I need to track down the manga.

The manga rules to roughly the same extent. I can put it in the thing if you don't mind reading it digitally?

HotFingersClub

Postby shizaam » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:54 am

that’d be awesome

shizaam

Postby pure white soul tendency » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:07 am

We watched the first half of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid last night. Don't think I remember anyone other than DRAGONS talking about this show on here. I basically want to watch nothing but KyoAni slice of life shows at this point and I'm OK with it I guess.
helloppl wrote:More tribal bullshit. Guess what I'm Roman catholic. U think I give a flying cookie what some forum dweeb thinks of me? I look up to men that pray 14 hrs a day. I forgot the secular humanists are the only ones who get to enjoy Hollywood "entertainments".

pure white soul tendency

Postby traced out » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:06 pm

HotFingersClub wrote:
shizaam wrote:damn, ping pong is easily in my all top favorites, might be my favorite yuasa too. grew up swimming competitively swimming, got injured, the whole arc, and so much of this captured those struggles and emotions in a way I’ve never seen anything else pull it off (different sport of course but the connections with talent, dedication, etc are all there). The way it weaves in doubts or ego via VO or the jagged split screens that creep in mid-match was perfect. I need to track down the manga.

The manga rules to roughly the same extent. I can put it in the thing if you don't mind reading it digitally?

i think the anime is substantially better even though it's pretty similar. yuasa is really good with form and the anime has a few very good additions, but the manga is pretty standard

traced out

Postby HotFingersClub » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:01 pm

HotFingersClub wrote:

Done

HotFingersClub

Postby a new dad for all » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:14 am

Viz wrote:Not a big anime series watcher by any stretch, but my kid convinced me to watch Jujutsu Kaisen and it’s really hitting the spot. Great animation and the characters aren’t horrible. I guess I’ll always stan for impossibly powerful characters throwing people through mountains.

Jujutsu Kaisen kicks ass

a new dad for all

Postby jca » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:47 pm

the third fate/stay night movie leaked

jca

Postby Gutslab » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:22 pm

the new series odd taxi is pretty nice. night bus vibes but with a taxi

Toggle Spoiler

Gutslab

Postby shizaam » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:04 am

ooh, that looks pretty good

shizaam

Postby shizaam » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:24 am

burned through tatami galaxy in a few days... enjoyed it, but feel like i might need another pass through it — dialogue is so fast with the subs that it's kinda hard to keep tabs on much else. felt like the middle eps really dragged a lot, seemed kinda clear where it was going. probably should've not gone straight from ping pong to this. also feel like there's a lot specific to kyoto and japan that i feel like probably went over my head, and am kinda curious what some of those cultural references and context are.

shizaam

Postby endless dave » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:38 am

yeah, I have a very distinct feeling from after watching Tatami Galaxy that made me shift from being anti-dub to pro-dub. if you have to spend a lot of your time looking at the bottom 1/3rd of the screen, especially for really beautiful animation and art like that one, it's just not worth it. most English VAs nowadays are wonderful as-is anyway

endless dave

Postby traced out » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:16 am

i think tatami galaxy is slightly better than ping pong but a lesser version of mind game (which is close to a perfect, fully realized movie). they're very similar, actually. experimental form w/ an inspiring theme where the main character takes control of his life so that the viewers can also take control of their lives. the form is similar in that in mind game the characters literally have free will which causes infinite possibilities to the story, whereas tatami galaxy shows the infinite possibilities sprung from a single instance in ones' life. there's synthesis with the medium in that animation enables more abstraction and hyper vignettes. the plot is also sort of structured similarly.
shizaam wrote:also feel like there's a lot specific to kyoto and japan that i feel like probably went over my head, and am kinda curious what some of those cultural references and context are.

lol, when i first got into anime i basically said the same thing
this show obviously rules, i think part of the emotional appeal is lost on western audiences though. it's for a neet otaku generation.

i also agree that the doll arc dragged a little

traced out

Postby shizaam » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:18 am

oh yeah that's a good connection, hadn't thought of it. god, mind game is so great.

also this place rules

wow...

shizaam

Postby broodstar » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:21 pm

this is probably just gona add clutter to my egosearch because i'm not really into anime but i just found out what a kabedon is and i'm spiraling down a youtube hole

broodstar

Previous

Return to Poster's Paradise