breaking flaming lips news

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Brain Stew » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:34 pm

Stephen Drozd sucks too, TBQH
You know, signatures are pretty night bus...

Brain Stew

Postby SonicBoom » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:01 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:pop singers seem to think doing a duet with the flaming lips gives you automatic "artsy cred"

I've liked the lips for a long time, but have listened to Miley a lot more in the last few years. I went to see the lips live a few years ago and it rained and that kind of ruined my memories of them.

SonicBoom

Postby genghis sean » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:47 am

I was a huge lips fan in the certain peak they had after yoshimi but before at war with the mystics (I guess I was too young to have been into them in their certain 90s heyday). I always lived in inconvenient locations where I couldn't get to them or they to me so I missed seeing them when it would've meant the most to me to see them. I finally got a chance in 2008 at sasquatch and the gorge and all I could think was "they're still doing this shit? wayne in a ball and the confetti. oh wow they got 20 topless women on stage this time, upping the ante". it seemed extremely played out and maybe even a bit pathetic at that point. I had entirely missed the boat, but it seems so did they. even though they shifted gears a bit by getting more 'dark psych' ever since its always felt desperate, as though they realized their old shtick was done and they needed to move somewhere while still being 'the flaming lips'. at this point I just don't care. they've exhausted all the patience I've had with them. in a weird way it seems appropriate that wayne is trying to fuck 20 year old girls and perform with them because it seems that's the only audience who finds this whole try-hard arts-and-crafts pseudo-weirdness compelling in any way.

wayne built so much goodwill behind him in his 40s as the music-lifer would-otherwise-be-a-loser guy who made good. for all its contrivance it seemed to be coming from an authentic place, and the flaming lips were one of the few bands that actually got (and required) the mileage of being 'good guys' 'jus having fun'. instead wayne played too many festivals and convinced himself that he was actually hot shit. he clearly got hooked on doing mountains of cocaine (which, despite the 'acid rock' overtones and influences, wasn't exactly his thing before either), dumped his wife of a long time and started partying with the worst sort of typical touristy 22 year old festival goers (how appropriate a controversy would spring up about this and concerning the racist usage of native american headdresses). he rewrote the 40something underdog triumph story of The Fearless Freaks into another pathetic tale of bloated rock posturing excess, and worse yet, in his 50s when there is no excuse, when you aren't in your early 20s yourself. this sordid and pathetic quality manages to rewrite and recast their past. fuck wayne coyne, fuck yoshimi, fuck the soft bulletin and any part of their legacy that led them to this point. clouds taste metallic had nothing to do with this so it's exempt.

genghis sean

Postby viachicago » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:02 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Brain Stew wrote:Stephen Drozd sucks too, TBQH

what

Yeah what the hell? Don't understand how anyone could hate on the dude
viachicago

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:05 am

yes sean, let the hate flow through you :twisted:

their last album where they claimed to be reaching new depths of dark shit as if that was some cathartic but necessary productive change in direction deserving of sympathy was such a thinly veiled self-justification of Wayne having a MLC and quitting his marriage
or maybe I projected most of that but all his "all you need is love" type feelgood hocus pocus is so weak given the context of his escapist creeperism
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby JohnK » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:09 am

Built to Spill were pretty damn awesome though.

JohnK

Postby jewels » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:39 am

this thread is depressing.
get help wayne.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby antoine » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:06 pm

is wayne giving the d to miley

antoine

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:13 pm

if not miley, a miley lookalike or three
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby viachicago » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:14 pm

The Devil's Advocate wrote:there was a moment in 2000 to 2001 where i claimed the flaming lips and built to spill to be my favorite bands.

they were still a legitimately a great, humble, and fun band during that time, although the gimmicks even then were starting to take on an outsized importance

i think it all peaked during the Ronald era

Last edited by viachicago on Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
viachicago

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:16 pm

jewels wrote:this thread is depressing.
get help wayne.

has it been suggested that he has bigger problems besides just making shitty music and getting a divorce?

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby Lammo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:20 pm

has embryonic been cast to the wolves now too?

still think thats a p good recovery after mystics
Lammo

Postby viachicago » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:28 pm

Ddiamondd wrote:has embryonic been cast to the wolves now too?

still think thats a p good recovery after mystics

"Merely a blip on an otherwise uninterrupted downward trajectory."

viachicago

Postby Lammo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:37 pm

chapeau

ed: oh fs
Lammo

Postby antoine » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:30 pm

wayne coyne is basically indie rock's troy mcclure

antoine

Postby mortimer » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:35 am

this band sux
mortimer

Postby clouds » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:08 pm

fester wrote: i imagine that one suit he wears everywhere smells like smoke, body odor, and febreeze

it does

clouds

Postby Catullus » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:35 pm

This thread is bleak

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby Cone » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:48 pm

I was considering getting tickets to see them in April since I used to love these dudes and the only time I've seen them they were opening for the Black Keys and toned down their performance. But after watching that video I'm thinking I'll pass.

Cone

Postby Brouhaha » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:00 pm

how many minutes could you have a conversation with wayne coyne before he starts frantically scratching himself and mumbling about unicorns?
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby Cringey » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:14 pm

antoine wrote:wayne coyne is basically indie rock's troy mcclure

This post is so perfect and on point. The Simpson's animators should start having McClure's trench coat coloured as silver ASAP.
Cringey

Postby mortimer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:10 pm

*barf*

https://pitchfork.com/news/the-flaming- ... ic-bubble/

The Flaming Lips’ frontman Wayne Coyne and his longtime girlfriend Katy Weaver have gotten married, as Billboard notes. The ceremony took place this past Saturday, January 5, in Oklahoma City. Find photos from the event, which found the couple saying “I do” inside a giant plastic bubble, below.

Wayne Coyne, who is 57 years old, announced his and Weaver’s engagement back in September. On Instagram, Coyne wrote that he and Weaver are expecting their first child together—a baby boy.

Coyne was previously common-law married to J. Michelle Martin-Coyne. The couple split in 2012.
mortimer

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:24 pm

Wayne Coyne is cosplaying Johnny Depp in a Tim Burton movie
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] (stay posi)

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby clouds » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:48 pm

imagine being 10 and 67 year old wayne coyne is your dad

clouds

Postby Honk For Dracula » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:50 pm

tfw u can't even think up an unique gimmick for your stupid wedding.

break out the ball

Honk For Dracula

Postby clouds » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:54 pm

he'll probably be rolling that baby across a field at a festival in that fucking ball

clouds

Postby DasLofGang » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:03 pm

this just sounds so exhausting to maintain

there are days where I can’t be bothered to put a pair of pants on, let alone climb into a giant fucking rubber sphere
Yes, sir, I've become a real "Net-Head!" I don't know how I communicated before I got online!

DasLofGang

Postby grace cathedral park » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:28 pm

i swear to god he already had kids

did i mandela effect wayne coyne to be a dad? i swear he had a whole thing about being a dad in fearless freaks
Never knowingly eaten an ass.

grace cathedral park
The Rooster

Postby clouds » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:40 pm

grace cathedral park wrote:i swear to god he already had kids

did i mandela effect wayne coyne to be a dad? i swear he had a whole thing about being a dad in fearless freaks

probably just confused because he has been a Father Figure to several women half his age

clouds

Postby endoskeleton » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:48 pm

clouds wrote:imagine being 10 and 67 year old wayne coyne is your dad

lol

endoskeleton

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley