Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby delgriffith » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:51 am

joe wrote:NYT published some weird op ed today from one of its journalists who claims marijuana legalization causes homicide

What Advocates of Legalizing Pot Don’t Want You to Know

Worse — because marijuana can cause paranoia and psychosis, and those conditions are closely linked to violence — it appears to lead to an increase in violent crime. Before recreational legalization began in 2014, advocates promised that it would reduce violent crime. But the first four states to legalize — Alaska, Colorado, Oregon and Washington — have seen sharp increases in murders and aggravated assaults since 2014, according to reports from the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Police reports and news articles show a clear link to cannabis in many cases.

Alex Berenson, a former New York Times reporter, is the author of the forthcoming “Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness, and Violence.”

delgriffith wrote:Yeah Berenson basically is making a big push for his insanely bad sounding book and Gladwell was just the guy to take the bait (along with the NYT and a few other outlets who have given him an uncritical space to peddle this shit).

delgriffith

Postby brent » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:54 am

delgriffith wrote:
joe wrote:NYT published some weird op ed today from one of its journalists who claims marijuana legalization causes homicide

What Advocates of Legalizing Pot Don’t Want You to Know

Worse — because marijuana can cause paranoia and psychosis, and those conditions are closely linked to violence — it appears to lead to an increase in violent crime. Before recreational legalization began in 2014, advocates promised that it would reduce violent crime. But the first four states to legalize — Alaska, Colorado, Oregon and Washington — have seen sharp increases in murders and aggravated assaults since 2014, according to reports from the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Police reports and news articles show a clear link to cannabis in many cases.

Alex Berenson, a former New York Times reporter, is the author of the forthcoming “Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness, and Violence.”

delgriffith wrote:Yeah Berenson basically is making a big push for his insanely bad sounding book and Gladwell was just the guy to take the bait (along with the NYT and a few other outlets who have given him an uncritical space to peddle this shit).

holy shit this dudes twitter account

brent

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:01 am

yeah this guy's book sucked and his twitter turned into just like full on reefer madness narc

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 am

A handy cannabis/Drogon at King's Landing guide. Dangerous airborne particles? Check. Terrible for children? Check. Getting burnt the fuck out? Check. Prominent people getting stoned? Check.
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:06 pm

lol what does this buffoon think she’s proving here

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:53 pm

lol

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Durham » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:01 pm

I keep seeing Quillette and I don’t give a shit about any of it because it’s boring but that’s what everyone did with gamergate and now they’re in the White House

Durham

Postby saranclaps » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:34 am

I was e-flirting with someone via social media dms and then I saw they retweeted a Quillette post and I stopped flirting with them.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby Feech La Manna » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:10 pm

oh my fucking god

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Frank » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:35 pm

Every time I see Claire Lehmann’s name I think of this

dog diarrhea in my beard

Frank

Postby Franco » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:11 pm

Don’t know where else to put this thread

Franco

Postby KPH » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:02 pm

KPH

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:26 pm

amazing

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby quinine » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:18 pm

Franco wrote:

I mean I guess I don't have any context for this but there seems to be a pretty wild distinction between the accusations "doesn't have a diverse writing staff" and "legacy of institutionalized racism, homophobia and transphobia," the latter of which she provides no support for?
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself

quinine
ok

Postby Shotfrog » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:28 pm

Wait a minute, what does she mean "As ClickHole winds down"?

Shotfrog

Postby endless dave » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:30 pm

quinine wrote:
Franco wrote:

I mean I guess I don't have any context for this but there seems to be a pretty wild distinction between the accusations "doesn't have a diverse writing staff" and "legacy of institutionalized racism, homophobia and transphobia," the latter of which she provides no support for?

There’s a lot more in the Twitter thread

endless dave

Postby quinine » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:45 pm

I ....read the thread. it seems like she went to great lengths trying to get more diverse hires, was unsuccessful, and decided to leave because they were not taking diversity seriously. which sucks and certainly supports the first claim but not really the latter

quinine
ok

Postby endless dave » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:51 pm

existing at the profile it has, for 5 years, as a part of Gizmodo Media Group for the past 2 or so, based I think in NYC, and never having a single black writer while someone on your team regularly reminded you of that feels either racistly negligent or just plain actively racist

endless dave

Postby quinine » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:41 pm

so the claim she's making is that the lack of diversity itself qualifies as a "legacy of institutionalized racism, homophobia and transphobia"? okay then

(also I believe they are based in chicago, which has a larger plurality of black folk but also is unquestionably super racist, not sure if that changes your argument)

quinine
ok

Postby endless dave » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:47 pm

I just feel like you're ascribing a lot of passivity to the situation ("the lack of diversity") when there doesn't need to be. they knew the problem. it is a very bad problem. they took seemingly no concrete steps to fix it. that speaks to a legacy in America and the comedy writing field of institutionalized racism, homophobia, and transphobia and thus, if it's been a part of their entire existence, then I'd say that legacy extends to them. I guess I'm just confused about what line or "evidence" you think is missing or maybe, what criteria you think would meet the phrasing they used.
Last edited by endless dave on Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

endless dave

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:36 pm

quinine wrote:so the claim she's making is that the lack of diversity itself qualifies as a "legacy of institutionalized racism, homophobia and transphobia"?

that's how institutionalized racism, homophobia, and transphobia work? and to piggyback off what dave said it would be true even if they really had no agency whatsoever in the hiring process: if it is true that the preponderance of comedy writers are white/cis/straight then yeah i'd say that's pretty institutionalized! there are a lot of funny people in the world!

like i honestly don't even see it as that damning of a thing to say, tbh. the damning thing here is that they apparently did very little/nothing to recognize or ameliorate it.

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby Frank » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:12 pm

they delivered

dog diarrhea in my beard

Frank

Postby light rail coyote » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:10 am

watching the discourse over this one has been so frustrating. I didn't get to make it to the rally yesterday because I'm a little exhausted and needed a day off, but andy has been a fixture on the far right here since 2016 and seeing people treat this like it's people unfairly attacking some neutral journalist as opposed to attacking someone who has aided a lot of patriot prayer's worst harassment campaigns is total bullshit. he literally got his public profile from recruiting white nationalists to join and take over the portland state "free thinkers" club during 2016 and was helping coordinate with infowars to bring militia dudes to break up anti-trump protests during the election.

if you want to argue about the ethics of punching people at a counter protest, go for it, but treating it like it's some abstract antifa on journalists violence is total fucking bullshit

light rail coyote

Postby light rail coyote » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:13 am

where was jake tapper moralizing while andy was following patriot prayer around while they were wandering around town assaulting people? why wasn't he outraged when they were literally hiding stockpiles of guns in parking garages? or when they shut down a parade in a POC neighborhood while andy gleefully filmed and defended them because free speech? weird how those things don't rise to the point of being worth noting

light rail coyote

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:13 am

So glad Tapper the poodle brain decided to weigh in on this one

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby light rail coyote » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:18 am

tapper can allegedly get hit by a bus

light rail coyote

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:24 am

It’s a lot to ask of CNN’s main politics guy to do some basic googling before he starts spewing diarrhea on Twitter

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby endless dave » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:39 am

what was the march/protest about yesterday anyway?

endless dave

Postby light rail coyote » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:45 am

there were two separate right wing protests, one by proud boys and another by patriot prayer under their "#himtoo" anti-feminism banner and a local coalition called POPMOB did a big counter protest.

light rail coyote

Postby light rail coyote » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:47 am

basically these things are just routine summer events here now.

light rail coyote

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....