You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Sat May 18, 2019 11:16 am

ha

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby The Dirty Turtle » Sat May 18, 2019 11:19 am

bret is just concerned that if the millenials are right that means hes a bad man
The Dirty Turtle
ok

Postby The Dirty Turtle » Sat May 18, 2019 11:23 am

bret writes that bullshit for the same reason that evangelicals vote for anyone who humors their worldview for the same reason that most the alt right exists

self preservation
The Dirty Turtle
ok

Postby The Dirty Turtle » Sat May 18, 2019 11:40 am

there was a really good blog posted here once by a guy who was raised evangelical and then stopped and went to harvard or something but i cant find it
after thinking of it i wanted to read it again so if anyone knows what im talking about and knows where that is that would be cool
The Dirty Turtle
ok

Postby The Dirty Turtle » Sat May 18, 2019 11:44 am

nevermind i found it and i also learned how to search text message history to do so!
The Dirty Turtle
ok

Postby Big Oil » Sun May 19, 2019 1:23 pm

unsurprisingly Bret doesn't name -- much less explore -- climate change and what his status as a denier of this singularly world-historical threat to the human species might have to do with the fact that everyone who's not going to be dead in 30 years hates his smarmy shitbag guts.
Big Oil

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun May 19, 2019 5:17 pm

ahaha

badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun May 19, 2019 5:18 pm

just the laziest, dumbest piece of shit in the game

congrats on the Pulitzer
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Fri May 24, 2019 9:40 am

Should I listen to that audio of Naomi Wolf getting clowned
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Frank » Fri May 24, 2019 4:14 pm

fucking hell

dog diarrhea in my beard
Frank

Postby messier object » Fri May 24, 2019 5:20 pm

between this and the The Mayor Speaks piece Politico is really going all-in on elevating wannabe-historians who want to show that they've done the research work on Sanders whose conclusions are like "inside community broadcasting's conniving plan to generate alternative facts and dominate the media" or "Bernie's innate generations-long scheme to be added as a spouse to his wife's deed"
fouder mister printer the Nowing ones complane of my book the fust edition had no stops I put in A Nuf here and thay may peper and solt it as they plese
messier object

Postby Feech La Manna » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:23 pm

Jeff Goldberg is such a fucking idiot

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby husbands » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:55 pm

Vox walkout today

Can’t believe the starting pay in DC was like 40K for reporters with no raises
ROLL COAL
husbands

Postby light rail coyote » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:57 pm

vox walkout stuff rules.
light rail coyote

Postby Feech La Manna » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:57 pm

laughed pretty hard at fucking Yglesias calling out scab tweets
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:51 pm

my man is just spectacularly stupid

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby light rail coyote » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:59 pm

I have mixed feelings on getting anyone fired, even though what she did to that transit worker was disgusting, but if there's one person who has no ground to shame people.for harassment it's this asshole
light rail coyote

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:55 pm

Yeah if people actually complained to her publisher I think that sucks, but what she did is still worse, and it’s such a perfect example of how people like Singal are only able to feel empathy for people exactly like themselves
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby endless dave » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:05 pm

Why is it bad if people complained to her publisher?

Having your book deal canceled is also not the same as being fired!
endless dave

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:14 pm

If you're really pro-worker, you should feel pretty queasy about fucking with someone's livelihood except in extreme circumstances, imo, even if they're an asshole. The public shaming this lady got felt like a pretty just outcome on its own.
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:18 pm

Like, I’m not shedding any tears that she lost her book deal but I wouldn’t feel good about tattling to her publisher
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:18 pm

cancel culture is in many ways bad (though I don't want to go too far down that road). just not for any of the reasons people who write about cancel culture being bad think it is
struttin' evil mushroom

Postby light rail coyote » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:53 pm

endless dave wrote:Why is it bad if people complained to her publisher?

I don't know enough about this person's financial situation to make a claim like that and that's where my reticence is coming from.
light rail coyote

Postby light rail coyote » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:58 pm

and like I said, this doesn't justify singal being involved because at this point his entire career is based around cultivating and enabling harassment against a powerless community and while I'm usually iffy about people fucking with people's livelihood, his ability to further his career is an actual threat to trans people as a community and as such some of those considerations are off of the table. which is also why I think people like him or michael tracy or whoever else feel the need to instantly jump into these discussions is because at some level they understand this and realize it's only a matter of time until something breaks and they have to answer for the consequences of their work. assuming he's operating in good faith is naive at best.
light rail coyote

Postby light rail coyote » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:02 am

like, I'm not going to pretend I have any answers on how to best keep the proper balance, but causing someone to lose income and miss their rent payments and become at risk of homelessness doesn't actually teach anyone a lesson and is mostly just cruel but also there does need to be consequences for that type of bad behavior although I have no clue what that even looks like.
light rail coyote

Postby Frank » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:59 am

dog diarrhea in my beard
Frank

Postby endless dave » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:15 am

light rail coyote wrote:
endless dave wrote:Why is it bad if people complained to her publisher?

I don't know enough about this person's financial situation to make a claim like that and that's where my reticence is coming from.

it's not like she even has to pay the advance back and few authors at presses this size make it back anyway so the monetary hit is basically nil here

I dunno- her publisher could have weathered the storm of what was probably gonna be 2 weeks max bad press, but determined that her actions didn't square with what they wanted to be associated with. and it seems like most of us here agree what she did was shitty and cruel, so what's the recourse? say our peace and hope she feels shame? if we complain about it online but don't tag the publisher, is that ok? what if the publisher already knows and then our tagless complaint is lumped in with The Discourse?
endless dave

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:24 am

light rail coyote wrote:and like I said, this doesn't justify singal being involved because at this point his entire career is based around cultivating and enabling harassment against a powerless community and while I'm usually iffy about people fucking with people's livelihood, his ability to further his career is an actual threat to trans people as a community and as such some of those considerations are off of the table. which is also why I think people like him or michael tracy or whoever else feel the need to instantly jump into these discussions is because at some level they understand this and realize it's only a matter of time until something breaks and they have to answer for the consequences of their work. assuming he's operating in good faith is naive at best.

yeah this is well-said.

figuring out what the consequences ought to be for shitty online behavior is probably a thing you want to do on a case-by-case basis. right now it feels like we are in an unfortunate status quo where people who tend to face the worst consequences for this stuff are people who can't hide behind, well, you know, i'm a journalist, it's my job to ask these kinds of tough questions (and, not incidentally, build a following through hot takes & make money for myself/my employer). michael tracey goes on podcasts, woman who writes book loses book deal.

but like ... as the most privileged kind of person it is tough for me to say with a straight face, "you shouldn't do that, think intersectionally, this is anti-worker," especially when posting a picture of a metro employee eating on their break is deeply shitty behavior; who am i to say that this "needs to be a learning experience" or whatever when that kind of privilege and forbearance is never offered to the marginalized and when that metro employee could have been fired?

does it really just come down to a very simple-sounding 'we could all do to be more kind' which i feel is right but which always feels like, necessarily, 'but kindness doesn't mean letting people's bullshit go unpunished'? and is there even any middle ground there? does it even make sense, just on a level of straight praxis?

idk sorry this is something i think about a lot and am no closer to an answer on

in conclusion fuck jesse singal
Last edited by struttin' evil mushroom on Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
struttin' evil mushroom

Postby VHGisdead » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:25 am

ah fuck. Maloy did one of my favorite tweets ever. As Jeff Sessions:

Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
VHGisdead

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:25 am

Yeah Maloy was a really smart and funny guy. RIP.
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....