Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Frank » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:59 am

dog diarrhea in my beard

Frank

Postby endless dave » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:15 am

light rail coyote wrote:
endless dave wrote:Why is it bad if people complained to her publisher?

Having your book deal canceled is also not the same as being fired!

I don't know enough about this person's financial situation to make a claim like that and that's where my reticence is coming from.

it's not like she even has to pay the advance back and few authors at presses this size make it back anyway so the monetary hit is basically nil here

I dunno- her publisher could have weathered the storm of what was probably gonna be 2 weeks max bad press, but determined that her actions didn't square with what they wanted to be associated with. and it seems like most of us here agree what she did was shitty and cruel, so what's the recourse? say our peace and hope she feels shame? if we complain about it online but don't tag the publisher, is that ok? what if the publisher already knows and then our tagless complaint is lumped in with The Discourse?

endless dave

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:24 am

light rail coyote wrote:and like I said, this doesn't justify singal being involved because at this point his entire career is based around cultivating and enabling harassment against a powerless community and while I'm usually iffy about people fucking with people's livelihood, his ability to further his career is an actual threat to trans people as a community and as such some of those considerations are off of the table. which is also why I think people like him or michael tracy or whoever else feel the need to instantly jump into these discussions is because at some level they understand this and realize it's only a matter of time until something breaks and they have to answer for the consequences of their work. assuming he's operating in good faith is naive at best.

yeah this is well-said.

figuring out what the consequences ought to be for shitty online behavior is probably a thing you want to do on a case-by-case basis. right now it feels like we are in an unfortunate status quo where people who tend to face the worst consequences for this stuff are people who can't hide behind, well, you know, i'm a journalist, it's my job to ask these kinds of tough questions (and, not incidentally, build a following through hot takes & make money for myself/my employer). michael tracey goes on podcasts, woman who writes book loses book deal.

but like ... as the most privileged kind of person it is tough for me to say with a straight face, "you shouldn't do that, think intersectionally, this is anti-worker," especially when posting a picture of a metro employee eating on their break is deeply shitty behavior; who am i to say that this "needs to be a learning experience" or whatever when that kind of privilege and forbearance is never offered to the marginalized and when that metro employee could have been fired?

does it really just come down to a very simple-sounding 'we could all do to be more kind' which i feel is right but which always feels like, necessarily, 'but kindness doesn't mean letting people's bullshit go unpunished'? and is there even any middle ground there? does it even make sense, just on a level of straight praxis?

idk sorry this is something i think about a lot and am no closer to an answer on

in conclusion fuck jesse singal
Last edited by struttin' evil mushroom on Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby VHGisdead » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:25 am

ah fuck. Maloy did one of my favorite tweets ever. As Jeff Sessions:

Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.

VHGisdead

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:25 am

Yeah Maloy was a really smart and funny guy. RIP.
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:26 am

and yeah the maloy stuff is just deeply sad

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby hyperbole man » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:35 am

that is a huge fucking bummer. RIP.
hyperbole man
post/username

Postby Marza » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:55 pm

I wasn't reading the nyt funny pages every day, but this is kind of :oops:

https://www.chappatte.com/en/the-end-of-political-cartoons-at-the-new-york-times/

Marza

Postby KPH » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:23 pm

Hmmm

KPH

Postby delgriffith » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:51 am

joe wrote:NYT published some weird op ed today from one of its journalists who claims marijuana legalization causes homicide

What Advocates of Legalizing Pot Don’t Want You to Know

Worse — because marijuana can cause paranoia and psychosis, and those conditions are closely linked to violence — it appears to lead to an increase in violent crime. Before recreational legalization began in 2014, advocates promised that it would reduce violent crime. But the first four states to legalize — Alaska, Colorado, Oregon and Washington — have seen sharp increases in murders and aggravated assaults since 2014, according to reports from the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Police reports and news articles show a clear link to cannabis in many cases.

Alex Berenson, a former New York Times reporter, is the author of the forthcoming “Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness, and Violence.”

delgriffith wrote:Yeah Berenson basically is making a big push for his insanely bad sounding book and Gladwell was just the guy to take the bait (along with the NYT and a few other outlets who have given him an uncritical space to peddle this shit).

delgriffith

Postby brent » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:54 am

delgriffith wrote:
joe wrote:NYT published some weird op ed today from one of its journalists who claims marijuana legalization causes homicide

What Advocates of Legalizing Pot Don’t Want You to Know

Worse — because marijuana can cause paranoia and psychosis, and those conditions are closely linked to violence — it appears to lead to an increase in violent crime. Before recreational legalization began in 2014, advocates promised that it would reduce violent crime. But the first four states to legalize — Alaska, Colorado, Oregon and Washington — have seen sharp increases in murders and aggravated assaults since 2014, according to reports from the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Police reports and news articles show a clear link to cannabis in many cases.

Alex Berenson, a former New York Times reporter, is the author of the forthcoming “Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness, and Violence.”

delgriffith wrote:Yeah Berenson basically is making a big push for his insanely bad sounding book and Gladwell was just the guy to take the bait (along with the NYT and a few other outlets who have given him an uncritical space to peddle this shit).

holy shit this dudes twitter account

brent

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:01 am

yeah this guy's book sucked and his twitter turned into just like full on reefer madness narc

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 am

A handy cannabis/Drogon at King's Landing guide. Dangerous airborne particles? Check. Terrible for children? Check. Getting burnt the fuck out? Check. Prominent people getting stoned? Check.

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:06 pm

lol what does this buffoon think she’s proving here

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:53 pm

lol

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Durham » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:01 pm

I keep seeing Quillette and I don’t give a shit about any of it because it’s boring but that’s what everyone did with gamergate and now they’re in the White House

Durham

Postby saranclaps » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:34 am

I was e-flirting with someone via social media dms and then I saw they retweeted a Quillette post and I stopped flirting with them.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby Feech La Manna » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:10 pm

oh my fucking god

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Frank » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:35 pm

Every time I see Claire Lehmann’s name I think of this

dog diarrhea in my beard

Frank

Postby Franco » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:11 pm

Don’t know where else to put this thread

Franco

Postby KPH » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:02 pm

KPH

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:26 pm

amazing

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby quinine » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:18 pm

Franco wrote:

I mean I guess I don't have any context for this but there seems to be a pretty wild distinction between the accusations "doesn't have a diverse writing staff" and "legacy of institutionalized racism, homophobia and transphobia," the latter of which she provides no support for?
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself

quinine
ok

Postby Shotfrog » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:28 pm

Wait a minute, what does she mean "As ClickHole winds down"?

Shotfrog

Postby endless dave » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:30 pm

quinine wrote:
Franco wrote:

I mean I guess I don't have any context for this but there seems to be a pretty wild distinction between the accusations "doesn't have a diverse writing staff" and "legacy of institutionalized racism, homophobia and transphobia," the latter of which she provides no support for?

There’s a lot more in the Twitter thread

endless dave

Postby quinine » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:45 pm

I ....read the thread. it seems like she went to great lengths trying to get more diverse hires, was unsuccessful, and decided to leave because they were not taking diversity seriously. which sucks and certainly supports the first claim but not really the latter

quinine
ok

Postby endless dave » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:51 pm

existing at the profile it has, for 5 years, as a part of Gizmodo Media Group for the past 2 or so, based I think in NYC, and never having a single black writer while someone on your team regularly reminded you of that feels either racistly negligent or just plain actively racist

endless dave

Postby quinine » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:41 pm

so the claim she's making is that the lack of diversity itself qualifies as a "legacy of institutionalized racism, homophobia and transphobia"? okay then

(also I believe they are based in chicago, which has a larger plurality of black folk but also is unquestionably super racist, not sure if that changes your argument)

quinine
ok

Postby endless dave » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:47 pm

I just feel like you're ascribing a lot of passivity to the situation ("the lack of diversity") when there doesn't need to be. they knew the problem. it is a very bad problem. they took seemingly no concrete steps to fix it. that speaks to a legacy in America and the comedy writing field of institutionalized racism, homophobia, and transphobia and thus, if it's been a part of their entire existence, then I'd say that legacy extends to them. I guess I'm just confused about what line or "evidence" you think is missing or maybe, what criteria you think would meet the phrasing they used.
Last edited by endless dave on Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

endless dave

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:36 pm

quinine wrote:so the claim she's making is that the lack of diversity itself qualifies as a "legacy of institutionalized racism, homophobia and transphobia"?

that's how institutionalized racism, homophobia, and transphobia work? and to piggyback off what dave said it would be true even if they really had no agency whatsoever in the hiring process: if it is true that the preponderance of comedy writers are white/cis/straight then yeah i'd say that's pretty institutionalized! there are a lot of funny people in the world!

like i honestly don't even see it as that damning of a thing to say, tbh. the damning thing here is that they apparently did very little/nothing to recognize or ameliorate it.

struttin' evil mushroom

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....