Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby light rail coyote » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:56 pm

oh CAP is terrible and I'm inherently skeptical of anyone who gets a position of power in an org like that but I just thought the kind of obsession with her as a person seemed kind of silly. again, that's changed for me

light rail coyote

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:01 pm

I mean, in addition to whatever the fuck she spends her time doing professionally, she spends an insane amount of time getting into lowest common denominator twitter beefs, which is fucking nuts for someone in her position. Just a completely ridiculous person.
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:36 pm

yup

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby LaAbeja » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:37 am

Maybe too CA specific but anyone else pulling/feeling for Luis of RunGomez? I heard 3rd hand he's ok but the way he yanked the plug on the newsletter was concerning.

There was a time when I was really hard up for work it meant a lot to see that email coming in every week.
Fear is an illusion!

LaAbeja

Postby shirts optional » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:55 am

oh man i forgot about regina

thanks for the reminder, wow

shirts optional

Postby delgriffith » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:35 am

delgriffith

Postby saranclaps » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:14 pm

please fire tappy and give her a primetime show instead
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby delgriffith » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:56 am

Cursed, cursed content: http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/09/bari-weiss-book-party.html

As the canapés came out (pastrami and pickle on rye squares!), the temperature rose, and the head count approached 140, guests grumbled about Twitter mobs and cheered Weiss’s ­outspokenness — though not all were so outspoken themselves. Mad Men creator Matt Weiner, who met Weiss through Tablet founder Alana Newhouse, wouldn’t be quoted. Times publisher A. G. Sulzberger said, “I think she brings a terrific and really brave voice to the Times. I’ll leave it at that.” Asked what Weiss had contributed to the opinion pages, section editor James Bennet parried, “Is that a party question?” before offering that “she’s got a lot of guts and ambition, and it’s been a privilege to watch her become the writer she’s meant to be.” Asked a party question — what he thought of the party — he said, “I’m not an expert,” and wished me luck.

delgriffith

Postby Feech La Manna » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:33 am

The status here at the Lambs Club was of a more traditional variety. Frank Bruni, the liberal Times columnist, defended the need for intellectual diversity at the “paper of record.” Looking around the room — the beige banquettes and velvet curtains and atomic-chic chandeliers — he played with the idea that it might resemble reality more than the internet does. “This party isn’t Twitter,” he said, “and I think it’s easier for diverse people to find points of connection. [Even] if this were a Bret Stephens party, you would see a far greater diversity than you’d expect.”

I'm dead

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:55 am

Weiss herself was not shy about the barbs. Her teary thank-you speech focused on the book’s subject, using a column by her colleague David Brooks to explain the Jews’ “survival and success.” But she credited her own social-media survival to her inner circle: “A lot of people, the first thing they say when they meet me is ‘You seem like a nice person; how do you withstand the things people say about you on Twitter?’

Same tbh

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:57 am

When I meet new people they usually immediately ask me if cancel culture has gone too far

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Franco » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:20 am

gruesome

Franco

Postby rex » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:08 pm

Feech La Manna wrote:
The status here at the Lambs Club was of a more traditional variety. Frank Bruni, the liberal Times columnist, defended the need for intellectual diversity at the “paper of record.” Looking around the room — the beige banquettes and velvet curtains and atomic-chic chandeliers — he played with the idea that it might resemble reality more than the internet does. “This party isn’t Twitter,” he said, “and I think it’s easier for diverse people to find points of connection. [Even] if this were a Bret Stephens party, you would see a far greater diversity than you’d expect.”

I'm dead

Especially great how Bruni trots in with this after all his Times colleagues give measured statements or don't comment.

Book parties are gross, man.

rex

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:46 pm

Can't believe the Lauren Duca NYU thing went badly!

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:49 pm

All five students alleged that Duca’s class was disorganized and “a master class in Lauren Duca’s personal life.” (“The point of it is that I'm oversharing all the time. And I think that, yeah, some people like it, some people don't. Apparently you fucking hate it, but that's fine,” Duca told me.) They said that she would vanish for 30 to 45 minutes per class to “meditate.” (“It was a three-hour class and we took a break and I would meditate for 15 minutes and they would be gone getting snacks and stuff,” Duca responded.) And that the class was a “waste of six weeks for all of us, and we don’t want anyone else to make this mistake again.” They claim Duca would snap at them for small problems, accuse them of not having done the readings, and never actually read any of the assignments they submitted to her.

Duca responded that she did read all the assignments, though she added: “It's okay if I'm not a great teacher because I'm great at lots of other things.”

hahahaha

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:51 pm

outstanding finish

Duca is already on her way to writing a second book, this one about her “major, major god experience,” which she is tentatively titling Ego in Retreat. Since our first interview and my observation of her final NYU class, Duca has unfollowed me on Twitter.

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Hal Jordan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:55 pm

Duca responded that she did read all the assignments, though she added: “It's okay if I'm not a great teacher because I'm great at lots of other things.”

tentatively titling Ego in Retreat.

well that was intense

Hal Jordan

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Lauren Duca kinda rules tbh

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby light rail coyote » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:04 pm

But most galling is that all the students — both in interviews and in the formal complaint to the college — claim that Duca went out of her way to target one student in particular: an exchange student who was visiting New York for school. “Her English wasn’t perfect but that’s hard,” one student told me. “She came from another country. She was very courageous for taking this class.”

The students claimed that Duca would unfairly admonish this particular individual in class. “We all clocked it two or three classes in,” said a classmate. They claimed that Duca said the student “won’t have a lot to say” during class presentations, that she refused to accept assignments from this student while accepting them from others, that she called her work “basic” and “vague,” and that during one class Duca made the student cry during a one-on-one meeting. To this Duca responded, “I said, ‘You need to do the work’; she cried. Like, come on. Is that targeting? What am I supposed to do? ‘You didn't do the work; here's a trophy’?”

“That day was the day that I decided that there’s no way we’re going to let this person teach students again. It was awful. It was absolutely awful,” one of the students told me. “She definitely picked favorites, and she picked people she blatantly didn’t like,” said another. (In the complaint the students wrote to NYU, it says that Duca “consistently targeted this student on the basis of a communication difficulty the student cannot change.”)

are you fucking kidding me

light rail coyote

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:08 pm

It's a scathing indictment of a pretty common practice at elite schools of letting high-profile people do whatever the fuck they want and call it a class
Last edited by Feech La Manna on Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:09 pm

Like, you're really rolling the dice with that. You're gonna get some pros and you're gonna get some people who built a brand on being "quirky."

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby light rail coyote » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:19 pm

i TA'd classes at a university that has a really huge foreign exchange program and had a ton of ESL students in almost all of the classes i taught. i cannot imagine being such a self-important, racist dumbass that it doesn't immediately dawn on you that a student with language barriers may need a little extra help to get on the same footing as other students and that language barriers don't make a student dumb or lazy.

same with "hey, if a student isn't doing the work maybe ask them why instead of just accusing them of things because everyone has their own shit and don't make assumptions!"

light rail coyote

Postby light rail coyote » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:20 pm

Feech La Manna wrote:Like, you're really rolling the dice with that. You're gonna get some pros and you're gonna get some people who built a brand on being "quirky."

meanwhile, there's thousands of talented, smart adjuncts that are barely able to afford rent or are working multiple jobs because the academic job market is a disaster.

light rail coyote

Postby shankly » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:41 pm

it feels like duca has been tapped by legacy media outlets to succeed and (well-written, totally legitimate) callouts are only going to give her more unearned opportunities in the future. you can't get rid of a hack.
shankly

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:07 pm

light rail coyote wrote:
Feech La Manna wrote:Like, you're really rolling the dice with that. You're gonna get some pros and you're gonna get some people who built a brand on being "quirky."

meanwhile, there's thousands of talented, smart adjuncts that are barely able to afford rent or are working multiple jobs because the academic job market is a disaster.

yup!

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby surly » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:59 pm

this is pretty fuckin funny

lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

Postby villalobos » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:22 pm

villalobos

Postby Barthes Starr » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:33 am

Barthes Starr

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:14 pm

Contributing at PragerU is definitely a very normal, appropriate thing for a Pulitzer Prize winning NYT columnist to do

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby coop » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:40 am

coop

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....