On Cinema At the Cinema

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby murray st. » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:55 am

saw this over the weekend. it's funny! tim is so good at conveying the ambience of a disgusting person

murray st.

Postby delgriffith » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:08 am

I'm really mad that I can't go tonight (although seeing Big Thief is a nice exchange), and then I'm out of town the rest of the week. Hoping it gets held over at Metrograph or somewhere in NYC next week.

delgriffith

Postby Bartatua » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:21 am

i go to see it night
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:40 am

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby jubjub » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:42 am

Saw it tonight, 3 favorite things of the movie 1) tim's suit 2) tim burping drinking wine then looking at the camera 3) gregg all the way through

jubjub

Postby jubjub » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:42 am

The shaggy DA

jubjub

Postby yungboi » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:34 am

yeah Gregg was my fav throughout the whole movie

yungboi

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:26 pm

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby high bias » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:51 pm

i was sitting next to axiom and the other dekkar guy at the screening i went to. it was great. they were so pumped, taking pics/video of themselves on the screen etc

high bias

Postby REAL BASED SLOB » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:51 pm

high bias wrote:i was sitting next to axiom and the other dekkar guy at the screening i went to. it was great. they were so pumped, taking pics/video of themselves on the screen etc

Lol incredible
When John Walsh refers to criminals as cowards and creeps I just get more jacked

REAL BASED SLOB

Postby Julius Sumner Miller » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:49 am

high bias wrote:i was sitting next to axiom and the other dekkar guy at the screening i went to. it was great. they were so pumped, taking pics/video of themselves on the screen etc

I am going to say a silent prayer thanking my guiding light for this post.

Julius Sumner Miller

Postby klubrick » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:37 am

Sweet Gregory Pectin wrote:Image

:lol:

klubrick

Postby ~*courteous sage*~ » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:04 pm

ayyy

~*courteous sage*~

Location: Hmm. Are you familiar with the term "executive dysfunction?"

Postby Itsmecraig » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:32 pm

Saw this at a local dining service indie theater with like 3/4 on cinema super fans and 1/4 elderly people who see everything there because they have memberships and by the end of it even they were on board. It was super fun. The crowd went wild the first time Gregg shows up.

Itsmecraig

Postby notblues » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:46 pm

i dunno this film was kind of amazingly insightful
notblues

Postby jubjub » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:08 am

notblues wrote:i dunno this film was kind of amazingly insightful

Could you articulate why? I feel the same but can't put my finger on it

jubjub

Postby gambra » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:36 am

On demand already? Daaamn, I'm away from home til Monday..
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra

virtuous wrote:lol imagine if your dad ran hpn

gambra

Postby rixx » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:00 am

SLAMMED by the bozos at Hollywood Reporter

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/mister-america-1246230

Based on my very limited experiences of comedian/actor Tim Heidecker, I can say with confidence that he's an acquired taste. And after having seen the latest cinematic effort from the co-creator of such television shows as Tim & Eric Awesome Show, Great Job, Tim & Eric's Bedtime Stories and others too numerous to mention (as well as the big-screen outing Tim & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie), I can also safely say it's a taste I won't be acquiring anytime soon. Strictly for rabid fans of Heidecker and his current Adult Swim series On Cinema at the Cinema, of which this film is a sort of offshoot, Mister America proves a witless, one-note political satire whose deficiencies are even more glaring when such humor feels entirely redundant to our current state of affairs.

The mockumentary, directed by Eric Notarnicola, chronicles Heidecker's supposed political campaign running for district attorney in San Bernardino, California. His efforts are complicated by the fact that he's not a lawyer and that he doesn't even live in the area, not to mention that he's a clueless dolt. Oh, and he's just narrowly escaped conviction on multiple murder charges relating to his involvement in marketing drug-laced electronic cigarettes that caused 18 deaths at an electronic dance music festival. (It's a joke that lands particularly flat now, in the aftermath of the real-life outbreak of fatalities and lung injuries caused by vaping.) :lol: :lol:

Heidecker, who was set free due to a mistrial, is running against the incumbent D.A. (Don Pecchia) who prosecuted him and lost the case thanks to one holdout juror (Terri Parks) who's now ineptly serving as Heidecker's campaign manager. Throughout his misbegotten political run which he's embarked upon strictly for revenge, Heidecker is plagued by the constant criticisms of his On Cinema at the Cinema co-host Gregg Turkington, who disparagingly describes his campaign as an "unofficial remake" of the 1976 Disney comedy The Shaggy D.A. starring Dean Jones (the lame joke is repeated ad nauseum). At one point, Turkington shows up at a town hall meeting, specifically to heckle Heidecker over his lack of credibility as a movie critic. We also hear unfunny recurring commentary from the judge (Curtis Webster) at the trial where Heidecker served as his own inept defense attorney.

Another lame running gag revolves around Heidecker's inartful campaign slogan, "We Have a Rat Problem!" which not surprisingly leads to refusals when he asks to post the signs outside of restaurants.

As is the case with so many mockumentaries, Mister America is almost entirely improvised (the screenplay is credited to Heidecker, Turkington and director Notarnicola). Suffice it to say that the performers here won't cause Christopher Guest and his many collaborators to lose any sleep. Feeling much, much longer than its 86-minute running time, the film features nary a single genuinely funny moment. That is, unless you find Heidecker's relentlessly boorish, ignorant persona, here mainly characterized by his constant scarfing down of McDonald's French fries, vaguely amusing.

rixx

Postby notblues » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:33 am

jubjub wrote:
notblues wrote:i dunno this film was kind of amazingly insightful

Could you articulate why? I feel the same but can't put my finger on it

i'll think about this and reply properly tomorrow but the most obvious thing is that it's completely made up and yet it isn't out of place in our current reality. except it's flipped on its head where heidecker is a complete failure despite his hubris, where trump had the 100% opposite experience. mister america is how things should have gone for somebody like trump. and i guess a lot of tim's career has been 'you only need to push this a little bit this way and suddenly it's real'. that's just a fairly surfacey response but i'll reply properly later. the end was poignant and there was a lot in that i thought.
notblues

Postby ~*courteous sage*~ » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:28 am

I hate to naysay but I think this did fall a little flat. There were some funny parts but I just kept waiting for an arc or something really fun to happen, it just kind of dragged. I did enjoy Gregg's character being fleshed out though.

~*courteous sage*~

Location: Hmm. Are you familiar with the term "executive dysfunction?"

Postby mystery meat » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:47 pm

this kinda gets better the more and more i think about it

mystery meat

Postby mystery meat » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:59 pm

unlike just about every big On Cinema-related project there's nothing terribly arc-furthering about it, like it doesn't feel super significant within the timeline maybe. but the more i think about it the more i think there's something haunting about the complete inconsequentiality of Tim's not-even-a-campaign, the fact that the actual race is completely peripheral to the movie, the fact that the entire premise is based on Tim's insistence on these things. meanwhile San Bernardino is just infinitely drab and vacant like the electorate that Tim is chasing is just as marginal and nonexistent and phantom-like as On Cinema's fictional audience (the 'legions of fans' and all that). also something really bleak about the judge setting the stage of the San Bernardino citizenry up in arms against Tim based on his child-killing reputation but like even the detractors are pretty nonexistent throughout the movie (there's only really Gregg lol) and the entire vibe is of total indifference and emptiness (cemented by the return to the plot of land where the Electric Sun festival was held, which really is heck of an ending imo).

mystery meat

Postby mystery meat » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:00 pm

also Tim is just really fucking amazing in it

mystery meat

Postby murray st. » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:42 am

murray st.

Postby Bartatua » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:46 am

A little moment I really enjoyed was the woman yelling at Tim from off camera about being a murderer and Tim firing back with "You'll vote for me!"
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby klubrick » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:57 am

This was so good. The movie length format allowed them to really let the emptiness and loneliness of tim and gregg unravel more.

klubrick

Postby esmuydavista » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:29 pm

tonights episode is next level. Gregg leaving when the glock comes out is so goodToggle Spoiler

esmuydavista

Postby spix et chicho » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:09 am

insane episode. lost it at the doxxingToggle Spoiler and tim repeatedly pulling the trigger at the cameraToggle Spoiler
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ

spix et chicho

Postby sunrise » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:51 am

the name card for Luke

sunrise

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley