Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby SonicBoom » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:08 pm

shankly wrote:Probably a good time to stop buying Trillium. I’m sure they aren’t the only brewery abusing the tipped wage to rip off retail staff

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/2018/11/21/trouble-brewing-craft-beer-darling-trillium/FIztA8DiIGUqmAO0Ia5yYI/story.html

Sucks, I enjoyed their stuff but as someone non local it's fine, plenty of good beer out there.

SonicBoom

Postby acidity regulator » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:01 pm

"red new england dipa" sounds like horsepiss wtfyd
ImageImageImage

acidity regulator
Site Admin

Postby warmjets » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:08 pm

I think what Trillium does is super common in craft beer. Workers are treated like shit all over the place. Doesn't make it excusable tho

Source: my brother in law has been working in the industry for over a decade

warmjets

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:36 am

Just got back from New Zealand (North Island) where I drank the best beer of my life for a good seven days straight.

Did two tastings at Garage Project (Wellington & Auckland) but I'd highly recommend visiting Wellington and just doing what you can in that area. An incredible amount of breweries, brewpubs and bars, all doing their thing at an amazing standard.

Reliable Tradesman

Postby mercenaries of slime » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:14 am

whoever mentioned wylam brewery upthread, ty

got a growler of

yesterday and it's so good

mercenaries of slime

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:35 am

I ordered $300 of craft delights for the upcoming holidays, from a sizable online provider, who will normally deliver within two days.

After five, seven and 10 days I tried contacting them via email (they don't have a phone number) but got no response. Turns out they've gone broke but have been taking online orders regardless, with no intention of sending anything out.

fark.

Reliable Tradesman

Postby acidity regulator » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:54 am

mercenaries of slime wrote:whoever mentioned wylam brewery upthread, ty

got a growler of

yesterday and it's so good

8-) nice one!
ImageImageImage

acidity regulator
Site Admin

Postby jalapeño ranch » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:24 am

Reliable Tradesman wrote:I ordered $300 of craft delights for the upcoming holidays, from a sizable online provider, who will normally deliver within two days.

After five, seven and 10 days I tried contacting them via email (they don't have a phone number) but got no response. Turns out they've gone broke but have been taking online orders regardless, with no intention of sending anything out.

fark.

Wait, are they giving you a refund or what? What company was it?
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby gazedo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:20 pm

i wonder if this dontdrinkbeer / highland park brewery barleywine will be any good.

gazedo

Postby shankly » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:23 pm

speaking of barleywine, i opened a 6 year old bottle of Bolt Cutter over the weekend and it was fantastic. super mellow; caramel, maple, vanilla, and tobacco notes and none of the aggressive hoppiness that it had back in 2012.
shankly

Postby pez viking » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:31 pm

gazedo wrote:i wonder if this dontdrinkbeer / highland park brewery barleywine will be any good.

Since he coined the BiL phrase, I sure hope so!

pez viking

Postby Render » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:55 pm

shankly wrote:speaking of barleywine, i opened a 6 year old bottle of Bolt Cutter over the weekend and it was fantastic. super mellow; caramel, maple, vanilla, and tobacco notes and none of the aggressive hoppiness that it had back in 2012.

This is good to hear as I saw someone say somewhere else that it had turned into an oxidized mess despite having a "properly cellared" bottle. Still have my 2012 in the basement. I think I have a rayon vert sitting in the back of the fridge still too.

Render

Postby sadville » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:14 pm

deadwolfbones wrote:Best thing about moving to OR thus far is the easy access to pFriem beers.

we drank a bunch of those on thanksgiving and oh boy

best thing i've had since i've been up here is everybody's juicy af ipa

holy moly. and now i can't find it anywhere. sure hope it wasn't a seasonal!
Wild nights - Wild nights!
Were I with thee
Wild nights should be
Our luxury!

sadville

Postby fury » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:52 pm

2 decent breweries in San Diego (benchmark,which isn’t closing per say but seeking a buyer,) and council are closing. The bubble seems to be bursting or contracting, which sucks. Both made some good beer.

fury
ok

Postby brent » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:09 pm

new go-to on tap: almanac vibes pils
cans rock too but too pricey

brent

Postby gazedo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:29 pm

sadville wrote:
deadwolfbones wrote:Best thing about moving to OR thus far is the easy access to pFriem beers.

we drank a bunch of those on thanksgiving and oh boy

best thing i've had since i've been up here is everybody's juicy af ipa

holy moly. and now i can't find it anywhere. sure hope it wasn't a seasonal!

good to know about this one. visiting family in hood river in two weekends, and will try and make it across the river to everybody's new space to try that.

gazedo

Postby what the schmuck » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:53 pm

fury wrote:2 decent breweries in San Diego (benchmark,which isn’t closing per say but seeking a buyer,) and council are closing. The bubble seems to be bursting or contracting, which sucks. Both made some good beer.

oh that's crazy. i remember going to council when they had just started doing their kettle sours and people were freaking out about how good they were.

speaking of SD, my wife and I are taking our kid there Jan 3-7 with some friends who also have an infant. Whats the good kid friendly beer and food places (besides pizza port).

what the schmuck

Postby gazedo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:09 pm

what the schmuck wrote:my wife and I are taking our kid there

congrats on the kiddo! i didn't know.

gazedo

Postby tonybricker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:17 am

fury wrote:2 decent breweries in San Diego (benchmark,which isn’t closing per say but seeking a buyer,) and council are closing. The bubble seems to be bursting or contracting, which sucks. Both made some good beer.

Didn’t Toolbox recently shut down too? They made some great beers and it sucks that they didn’t make it

tonybricker

Postby jbiz » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:38 am

what the schmuck wrote:

oh that's crazy. i remember going to council when they had just started doing their kettle sours and people were freaking out about how good they were.

speaking of SD, my wife and I are taking our kid there Jan 3-7 with some friends who also have an infant. Whats the good kid friendly beer and food places (besides pizza port).

from talkbeer:
There's no reason to believe that there are too many breweries currently. But there is definitely reason to believe that there's little-to-no room for growth in packaged sales. Places that take on debt to expand so that they can distribute are playing with fire. Meanwhile, demand for taprooms that don't distribute much beyond the occasional keg seems bottomless.

which definitely seems to be the case around here, too

i just hope my local spot that's been crushing it with taproom cans/bottle releases and little to no crowd issues for almost 2 years doesn't try to expand into further distro than just a few kegs at local restaurants

jbiz

Postby easy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:31 am

get it at binnys

easy
does it

Postby powderfinger » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:36 am

probably start to see the effects of the conglomerates using their market power to have their "craft" portfolios muscle independent breweries out of some distribution channels entirely or materially limit their available space

powderfinger

Postby becky » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:35 pm

powderfinger wrote:probably start to see the effects of the conglomerates using their market power to have their "craft" portfolios muscle independent breweries out of some distribution channels entirely or materially limit their available space

I guess this is related: my office got solicited by Anheuser-Busch recently to receive a free "Office Bud-e" wifi smart beer fridge.. it promised "something for everyone" with a variety of choices from "Classic American Lagers" to "Craft IPAs," so shit like Goose Island and Golden Road (neither of which I have anything explicitly against, fwiw).

were we to have pulled the trigger on this, I imagine the amount of local craft stuff we regularly buy and bring in would have dwindled significantly.

becky

Postby warmjets » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:50 pm

AB InBev craft is shit

Love their macros though

warmjets

Postby powderfinger » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:56 pm

of course I am totally guilty of being very enthusiastic about drinking craft beer in taprooms and bars while preferring the consistency and familiarity of established breweries when buying packaged beer

though I suppose my county's horrific beer distribution monopoly and the mediocrity of the local beer they carry has something to do with that

powderfinger

Postby what the schmuck » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:28 pm

gazedo wrote:
what the schmuck wrote:my wife and I are taking our kid there

congrats on the kiddo! i didn't know.

Thanks! makes me miss being able to go to cloudburst and HM :( at least seapine is close and kid friendly

what the schmuck

Postby fury » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:17 pm

I think some breweries are over extending themselves with taprooms ans things like that. Distribution seems to be a complicating factor too

fury
ok

Postby Oh! Sweet Nuthin' » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:28 pm

heads up guys, the trader joes coffee cocoa imperial stout is absolutely banging for $4 a 22 oz. I've heard of other joes beer being lowkey awesome for the price and this doesn't disappoint

Oh! Sweet Nuthin'

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:54 pm

Really looking forward to "Griffith J Griffith Day" at HPB on 1/4. I wonder what kind of variants they made this year. Hoping they made a new back of the coconut and chiles one.

Does anybody know what the Colonel Griffith is?
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby Zurich » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:10 am

that's wild that council is closing. I was there maybe 3 or 4 years ago now, but they made some really good sours and seemed to run a very small operation. maybe that changed and they got over-extended? if not, feels like more a product of them not doing anything but sours? (at least they didn't when I was there)

i have one last bottle of bolt cutter and i'm glad to hear it's drinking good. i bought 5 bottles because I found overstock at a very good price in NYC and every time i cracked one i was blown away (big barleywine fan). saving this last one for a special occasion.

re: package beers, i really think the situation is getting out of control and i wish more shop owners would start caring. my neighborhood is a wasteland of bodegas with huge beer selections until you realize that 95% of it is ancient stock. it's gotten so bad the only places i buy packaged beer from besides breweries is CVS and Whole Foods/supermarkets. The former may only have 1 or 2 good beers (SN seasonal, say) but at least it will be fresh.

At home, I find myself drinking lots of Bells these days as Best Brown and Amber are all I want to drink.

Zurich

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....