Quality Beer Thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby warmjets » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:34 pm

send me some space ways thx

warmjets

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:38 pm

I'm guessing a lot of people might have issues with Taking Donations being a bit thin, but I find most barleywines to be too thick and sickeningly sweet, so I'm really digging the single barrel version I just cracked. Gonna be hard for me to save my other bottles.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby deadwolfbones » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:35 pm

jalapeño ranch wrote:I'm guessing a lot of people might have issues with Taking Donations being a bit thin, but I find most barleywines to be too thick and sickeningly sweet, so I'm really digging the single barrel version I just cracked. Gonna be hard for me to save my other bottles.

nice
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby gazedo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:14 pm

I am moving apartments and I just found a box of 8 remaining gap earth tulips. If anyone wants one, you have two weeks to email me at gapearth at gmail. I forget how much these cost, but I am pretty sure I recouped the money I spent getting them made so I am happy to just send them out for cost of shipping. Otherwise, they are going to the goodwill in January.

gazedo

Postby beefbroth inthe shitpipes » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:40 pm

shankly wrote:Industrial Arts Wrench is really good. There are so many bad NEIPAs right now, so finding one that is actually refreshing and not just yeast slurry is a big deal to me.

Is this the dude that created flower power? Believe it is, wrench is good

beefbroth inthe shitpipes

Postby beefbroth inthe shitpipes » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:40 pm

Sloop brewing juice bomb is wrench-ish

Postby Zurich » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:16 pm

Industrial arts make very solid beers and I highly recommend visiting. It's not the best place to hang out but it is a really cool/unique space (some kind of old Mill/factory?)

I prefer wrench to Sloop JB, but they are another brewery I've randomly been into twice in the past few months. They make great stuff all around too but have a very strange Nickelodeon Studios vibe to their branding and decor which is extremely odd.

Hudson valley beer scene is heating up, sloop has another spot right near Suarez. Hudson valley brewing is good. In the Catskills you've got west kill and catskill. I think Woodstock is supposed to be good but haven't stopped in.

Picked up some other half for the first time in a long time

Zurich

Postby gazedo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:22 pm

what are the chill, readily available canned stouts / porters these days? something that is 6-8%, non-barrel aged, with no adjuncts. just want to drink something in the cold without getting blitzed or smelling like a coffee pina colada.

gazedo

Postby beefbroth inthe shitpipes » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:30 pm

Torque Wrench was the best beer I’ve had from them

Postby gazedo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:40 pm

gazedo wrote:what are the chill, readily available canned stouts / porters these days? something that is 6-8%, non-barrel aged, with no adjuncts. just want to drink something in the cold without getting blitzed or smelling like a coffee pina colada.

I think what I am thinking of is something like la cumbre malpais stout or fremont dark star. both in cans, both lower abv, neither have any adjuncts.

are there other widely available beers like this out there?

gazedo

Postby Zurich » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:53 pm

Do you get founders Porter? I think it's basically the best Porter you can buy

Zurich

Postby gazedo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:37 pm

Zurich wrote:Do you get founders Porter? I think it's basically the best Porter you can buy

I do. It's in bottles and i try to avoid glass in the woods but maybe I'll pick some up and be careful.

gazedo

Postby fury » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:57 pm

MT black house?

fury
ok

Postby gazedo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:07 pm

fury wrote:MT black house?

Has coffee in it

gazedo

Postby Fullscreen » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:01 pm

gazedo wrote:
gazedo wrote:what are the chill, readily available canned stouts / porters these days? something that is 6-8%, non-barrel aged, with no adjuncts. just want to drink something in the cold without getting blitzed or smelling like a coffee pina colada.

I think what I am thinking of is something like la cumbre malpais stout or fremont dark star. both in cans, both lower abv, neither have any adjuncts.

are there other widely available beers like this out there?

honestly, I've never brewed beer but I figure porter is a hard one to fuck up, as I've never had a bad one.

atm I'm drinking a collective arts brewing stranger than fiction, 5.5%, cascade & nugget hops, unfiltered, 16oz can.

but I'll drink an anchor porter or a great lakes edmund fitzgerald any time. Bottled not canned but that makes no difference to me.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart

Fullscreen

Postby Fullscreen » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:06 pm

like I wouldn't over think porter as a style. my preferred bottle shop gets new ones all the time from a raft of downstate IL brewers and they're always.... good? Satisfying? again it's just an approachable style, pick one out of a hat and you'll be fine.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart

Fullscreen

Postby Damien Amadeus MetalWind » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:40 am

was lamenting tonight that even though deschutes is canning they hasn't expanded to the obsidian stout.
kid8 wrote:women should know when to go fucking home. or at least call it a night. the theatrics aren't helping niña.

Damien Amadeus MetalWind
ok

Postby Birds vs Worms » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:26 am

I think I've seen Polygamy Porter in cans out in the wild

Birds vs Worms

Postby deadwolfbones » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:46 pm

Nitro Merlin?
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:47 pm

Anchor Porter is great obviously, but bottles only
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby aspirinkid » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:54 pm

does sierra can their porter?

aspirinkid

Postby tonybricker » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:02 pm

Mikkeller's Breakfast Kløb imperial coffee stout is outstanding, especially for a non-BA stout
(not meant to be an answer to the "canned stouts and porters" question)

tonybricker

Postby Zurich » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:13 pm

Fullscreen wrote:like I wouldn't over think porter as a style. my preferred bottle shop gets new ones all the time from a raft of downstate IL brewers and they're always.... good? Satisfying? again it's just an approachable style, pick one out of a hat and you'll be fine.

I really like porters and I generally think you're right that they're hard to screw up, but really good ones are significantly better than the average. Founders is so good/available so I usually don't deviate outside of a Maine beer co, HF, or other special one from time to time.

Ironically this one I'm having from la cabra right now is not very good

Zurich

Postby brent » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:57 pm

surly recently canned a porter (mortal sun), but it's only in their seasonal mixed 12. it was good!

brent

Postby brent » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:01 pm

deadwolfbones wrote:Nitro Merlin?

oo yeah this is a good one too but I wonder if drinking from the can would underwhelm? the non-nitro mocha Merlin is good too and while it's not adjunct free, the chocolate/coffee notes are super subtle

brent

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:31 pm

I find most porters to be pretty underwhelming. Pretty happy Mocha Machine is getting distro'd frequently now though.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby gazedo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:38 am

gazedo wrote:
Zurich wrote:Do you get founders Porter? I think it's basically the best Porter you can buy

I do. It's in bottles and i try to avoid glass in the woods but maybe I'll pick some up and be careful.

took some bottles of founders porter climbing yesterday. two of them clanked together in my not very full backpack and broke. 24 oz of beer all over all my climbing gear. so much for being "careful" :(

gazedo

Postby gazedo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:14 pm

gazedo wrote:
gazedo wrote:

took some bottles of founders porter climbing yesterday. two of them clanked together in my not very full backpack and broke. 24 oz of beer all over all my climbing gear. so much for being "careful" :(

wow, this deteriorated from annoying to really shitty. left my beer soaked backpack in my truck overnight and it got broken into and stolen. never should have brought the glass to the crag :evil:

gazedo

Postby acidity regulator » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:32 am

got this one for an xmas present, gonna hold onto it for a while maybe
ImageImageImage

acidity regulator
Site Admin

Postby SonicBoom » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:22 pm

gazedo wrote:
gazedo wrote:
gazedo wrote:

wow, this deteriorated from annoying to really shitty. left my beer soaked backpack in my truck overnight and it got broken into and stolen. never should have brought the glass to the crag :evil:

I had a growler smash in a backpack, and all I could do was throw it out.

SonicBoom

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley