Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby chimp » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:52 pm

mercenaries of slime wrote:how does her dating elon musk make her "insanely wealthy"

they're not married last time i checked

Hmm, how would you describe her economic position as the partner of a multibillionaire

chimp

Postby chimp » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:53 pm

Because I think that warrants describing her as a member of the class to which he certainly belongs

chimp

Postby mercenaries of slime » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:07 am

it's sexist of you to assume she has any access to his money

mercenaries of slime

Postby chimp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:11 am

Seriously? What do you think - is she likely to benefit from his vast wealth at all? Or is she just like you and me

chimp

Postby chimp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:13 am

I mean I guess it’s theoretically possible that pop singer Grimes and owner of 20 billion dollars Elon Musk split all their costs 50/50, I just don’t find it very likely.

chimp

Postby mercenaries of slime » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:16 am

call me crazy but i think a woman's economic position is solely determined by her own finances and not the financial status of her boyfriend

also you are proving my point by hunkering down on this
Last edited by mercenaries of slime on Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

mercenaries of slime

Postby antoine » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:16 am

tbf grimes is already normal person rich, just not supermegatycoon rich. she probably doesn't need his money. she does have access to probably a lot of tunnel technology diagrams and secret means of transportation tho.

antoine

Postby chimp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:17 am

While we’re on the topic, it’s weird that you imply they would have to be married before she can be described as sharing his socioeconomic status. I think it’s quite common for unmarried couples to share resources

chimp

Postby chimp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:18 am

mercenaries of slime wrote:call me crazy but i think a woman's economic position is solely determined by her own finances and not the financial status of her boyfriend

also you are proving my point by hunkering down on this

Really, you’re actually arguing that her economic position is totally unrelated to the fact that her long-term partner is a famous billionaire?

chimp

Postby Merciel » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:19 am

mercenaries of slime wrote:call me crazy but i think a woman's economic position is solely determined by her own finances and not the financial status of her boyfriend

I guess this depends on the relationship, but this has not been my personal experience in life.

I suspect that Grimes does probably have at least enough money of her own to tell Elon Musk to fuck off if he's stingy at her. fwiw I think that's pretty important to the dynamic.

But also I have zero idea what their relationship is like and it's not my business and I have no special stake in the answer. I just don't think chimp's coming out of nowhere on this one.

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby chimp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:23 am

I mean it’s really a side issue, it makes little difference to me or the argument at issue whether or not we describe grimes as “wealthy” (her own money) or “insanely wealthy” (her own money plus Elon musk’s money), I’m just stunned that anyone would argue his money should be completely disregarded

chimp

Postby loaf angel » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:28 am

I thought they weren't dating anymore
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby Merciel » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:30 am

Even if he's not actually giving her money, just being the partner of somebody sufficiently famous/important gets you so much free stuff.

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby mercenaries of slime » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:41 am

my point is that this is not a fixed thing

it's temporary and her wealth, regardless of gifts or dinners in italy or whatever rich people do when they date, ultimately doesn't change significantly

she's not a billionaire just bc she's dating one and i stand by my earlier statement that it's sexist of you (chimp) to assume that he takes care of her (or needs to) financially in any way

mercenaries of slime

Postby Merciel » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:46 am

Sure, yes, I totally agree that it's not a fixed thing.

I'm not sure I agree that it's temporary. Networking with that level of stratospheric wealth is worth quite a lot, even for someone whose cultural currency largely draws from elsewhere. The level of opportunity that opens up is as high as it gets.

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby chimp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:48 am

OK mercenaries of slime. I don’t think it’s at all sexist of me to suggest that Elon Musk’s wealth should be considered when we’re talking about grimes’ socioeconomic position and I think it’s quite perverse of you to insist that the two things have no relationship at all, but I guess we are unlikely to resolve this disagreement. In any case, she patently is not like most people even when considering her own wealth completely in isolation.

chimp

Postby mercenaries of slime » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:54 am

remind me again though why her (or her boyfriend's) socioeconomic position matters when discussing the album she wants to make to draw attention to the problem of climate change

mercenaries of slime

Postby chimp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:56 am

chimp wrote:I mean yeah it does seem particularly gross that she’s saying this stuff as a member of the “insanely wealthy” class, because unlike 99.9% of people she actually can afford to see climate change as a cool new aesthetic

chimp

Postby mego » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:01 am

mercenaries of slime wrote:it's sexist of you to assume she has any access to his money

Not going to disagree with you on this outright but i'd have thought that people would make the same assumptions if a man was dating a woman with a higher socioeconomic status. i don't see how gender is an issue here at all.

i could see people being more disparaging of a woman in that situation than they would a man though... but i don't think there'd be any different opinions on the level of access to their partner's wealth/status

mego

Postby mercenaries of slime » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:02 am

why do you assume the motivation behind her actions and words is that she sees climate change as "a cool new aesthetic"

in other words:

mercenaries of slime wrote:talking about weezer in the context of the grimes thread is important bc all of you judge and dissect women much more harshly than you ever would a man

nothing she can say at this point will redeem her to you bc you've all already written her off, as if her only value is who she's associated with romantically

if the only way she can feel in control of her own narrative is to go full villain, i support her

mercenaries of slime

Postby antoine » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:05 am

mego wrote:
mercenaries of slime wrote:it's sexist of you to assume she has any access to his money

Not going to disagree with you on this outright but i'd have thought that people would make the same assumptions if a man was dating a woman with a higher socioeconomic status. i don't see how gender is an issue here at all.

I've definitely thought about this wrt phil elverum marrying michelle williams. she is certainly worth more than he is and it does bring up certain questions about what that means to his artistic output. not that it really matters. but yeah that definitely changes things for him as it would anyone who has a relationship with a wealthier person.

antoine

Postby chimp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:06 am

Just seems like a bad idea to discuss a world-historical catastrophe and the most serious problem humans have ever faced in such a flippant way to advertise your new album, especially when you are very far removed from its actual effects by virtue of your wealth! That seems very dumb to me when people and ecosystems are right now suffering hugely from climate effects and this problem is only predicted to get worse and cause untold misery. I’m not sure why you are having so much trouble with this criticism.

chimp

Postby mercenaries of slime » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:08 am

yes it's best to just post about it on your internet forum and hope that makes a difference

mercenaries of slime

Postby chimp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:09 am

:roll:

chimp

Postby mercenaries of slime » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:38 am

As a young girl
Louis Vuitton
With your mother
On the sandy lawn

As a sophomore
With reggaeton
And the linens
You're sittin' on

Is your bed made? Is your sweater on?
Do you want to fuck like you know I do?
Like you know I do ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh
Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh

But this feels so unnatural, Peter Gabriel too
But it feels so unnatural, Peter Gabriel

Can you stay up
To see the dawn?
In the colors
Of Benetton

Do you want to like you know I do?

But it feels so unnatural, Peter Gabriel too
But this feels so unnatural, Peter Gabriel

Do you want to like you know I do?

mercenaries of slime

Postby chimp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:48 am

Love TS Eliot

chimp

Postby Bad Craziness » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:00 am

I can understand the motivation for wanting to create a symbolic archetype kind of character to represent climate change. it gives the imagination a focal point, and the imagination is inspired and motivated more by compelling narratives than it is by troubling statistics.

it’s like the idea of Mammon as shorthand for greed and materialism. “You can not serve both God and Mammon” sticks in the minds of the masses more than a 500 page annotated dissertation on post-war macroeconomics, and thus is more effective in nudging behavior/values at scale

if it snaps some people out of their habit of only ever using game of thrones and harry potter as their metaphors for every important contemporary issue, I’d call it progress

Bad Craziness

Postby odilon redon » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:44 am

i feel like her increasing distance from the ground and our garbage serf reality has not been good for her creatively but honestly i don't think making good music even really matters or is important that much for her career anymore and that's fine

odilon redon

Postby trampoline » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:48 am

Re: the Weezer thing

Never thought a post I wrote which as far as I remember everyone ignored would be considered to someone hipinion's main take on Weezer/Rivers Cuomo. Thanks, I guess. It's nice to see someone is paying attention to what I say. :)

I do think reading between the lines is good when assessing the worth of anyone's art. With Rivers my take was to say that I don't think he was trying to validate his feelings/urges (ugh) when he wrote Pinkerton, but that he wanted to expose himself (ugh) on purpose, warts and all, as a personal journey kind of thing.

In my opinion not every piece of art needs to be analysed as a political statement.

I'm not very optimistic about Grimes new music, not because of any political message but because what what I've heard so far is just not very exciting. Maybe she'll make it all work in the end.

trampoline

Postby trampoline » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:55 am

Not sure if it's the best place to ask, but is hipinion okay with me listening to brainbombs?

trampoline

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....