The Official New York City Thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby shizaam » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:51 am

i still need to try l'industrie. nice new sietsema list: https://ny.eater.com/2023/3/22/23649440/ten-favorite-slices-nyc-robert-sietsema

shizaam

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:23 am

L'Industrie is probably the best slice I've had tbh

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby pink snake » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:24 am

Milquetoaster Strudels wrote:L'Industrie is probably the best slice I've had tbh

the burrata one?

pink snake

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:38 am

Nah just the spicy salami, but you can bet I'll be crushing that one next time I'm there

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby scrumptown » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:27 am

really love l'industrie. burrata slice with a lil anchovy, yum

scrumptown

Postby shizaam » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:43 pm

shizaam

Postby Hutch » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:59 pm

Silly question but anyone in the thread own a dog? Is it an insane thing to do in Brooklyn or does everyone have dogs these days?

Background: my wife is in the final round of interviews for a dream job that would move us from Seattle to NYC. We both love New York and are generally stoked at the idea, except for the question of what to do with our 3 year old 60 pound Black lab mix. He’s great around the house but definitely high energy in terms of exercise needs. Also a bit generally high-anxiety around other dogs (but we’re working on it!). I work remotely so the day to day care isn’t totally out of the question but also … having a largish dog in the city doesn’t seem ideal for anyone, and seems like it would make an awful housing search even more awfuler.

There’s *potentially* a scenario where family or friends locally adopt him, so it’s not like the choice is whether to send him to the pound. But we’re also quite attached. But also questioning whether it's the right thing to do to the dog.

Hutch

Postby milano boy » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:02 pm

Plenty of ppl have dogs that size in bk. Get a spot near a park that has off leash hours. Will probably limit avail apts for sure tho.

I had a 45 lb dog that had sever leash aggression so we couldn’t really be around any dogs at all and we managed

milano boy

Postby hoopdog » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:04 pm

I have a small dog that's also has leash aggression towards other dogs. He's older (almost 14). My gf works from home and it's been completely fine for the most part having him here. Imo the biggest thing to deal with for dogs unfamiliar with an urban environment where they will most likely have to be walked on a leash every day is that sort of anxiety for them that can result in a change in personality

My little dude has adjusted well but yeah that's the one thing I would worry about (besides landlords fucking you over on rent bc you have a dog)

hoopdog
ride.

Postby Organic Croutons » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:42 pm

I have two dogs here. It’s great. One of them is psycho sometimes to other dogs (70 pound pitbull) so I’m careful of letting him interact with any dogs on the street. I wouldn’t worry about moving here with your dog whatsoever other than it is sad they’ll likely no longer have a yard to run around in etc, if that’s the current situation. But I assume no longer having the dog would be more traumatic for all parties than it not having a yard.

Organic Croutons

Postby Organic Croutons » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:45 pm

I can’t speak to the housing search part though, I’ve been in the same spot for years. I do see people With dogs constantly so the housing element can’t be too troublesome.

Organic Croutons

Postby papi chulo » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:07 am

I would say in general nyc is very dog friendly, even with and around anxious/antisocial dogs
History is the reason
I'm washed up

papi chulo

Postby papi chulo » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:08 am

I mean the landlord situation is different but with life and walking the dog and stuff it's all good
History is the reason
I'm washed up

papi chulo

Postby pink snake » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:37 am

My building doesn’t allow dogs but half the tenants have dogs.

pink snake

Postby i am rich » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:40 am

only bad part about having a dog in the city in my experience (aside from limited space which is w/e) was getting him to go up the stairs consistently in a fourth floor walkup. dude just did not wanna do it sometimes (mostly when hot out) and was too big to carry
also gotta make sure to keep a lookout for all the chicken wing bones people throw on the street around here
Eventsrova wrote:[b][size=14]Discover a World of farts

i am rich

Postby delgriffith » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:54 am

yeah from walking friend's dogs/hanging out with dog friends, it seems like the constant game of "don't eat that bone" and "don't lick that rat piss" can get kinda exhausting. but it can definitely be done, many people do it and both dogs and humans have happy lives :)

delgriffith

Postby DasLofGang » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:59 am

what if they rent controlled the pizza slices
Yes, sir, I've become a real "Net-Head!" I don't know how I communicated before I got online!

DasLofGang

Postby Hutch » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:36 pm

Thank you all, this was very helpful and hopeful. He doesn't have a yard now so wouldn't really be missing that. He gets to run off leash most weekends when we go hiking in the PNW but I'm sure the dog parks are great for that. Worry a bit about him getting used to urban noises while inside, but I'm sure he'd adapt eventually.

Other big unanswered question is logistics of getting him there. I can't picture flying him - he's really anxious in the car and we've tried every kind of drug cocktail under the sun with no success. Maybe I'm an overly precious pet owner but I worry it'd be traumatizing. He'd probably eventually get used to the car out of necessity on a cross country trip but that also sounds unappealing for the driver (me).

TBD on whether the job is actually happening but may hit up the thread for more advice.

Hutch

Postby i am rich » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:43 pm

anybody have a line on how rent stabilization increases might go in the next year? my lease is up in june so basically have to decide in the next few weeks to renew for one year at 2.5% or maybe 3.5% or two at 5%. largest increase ever in my experience since as we know the baby landlords won this round. def not planning on leaving this apartment like ever but not sure if i should bother hoping if i renew for one year now thatll itll be better for tenants in a year

i am rich

Postby creamline bling » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:44 pm

i am rich wrote:anybody have a line on how rent stabilization increases might go in the next year? my lease is up in june so basically have to decide in the next few weeks to renew for one year at 2.5% or maybe 3.5% or two at 5%. largest increase ever in my experience since as we know the baby landlords won this round. def not planning on leaving this apartment like ever but not sure if i should bother hoping if i renew for one year now thatll itll be better for tenants in a year

I can't seem to find it again but I saw a chart of the historical increases YoY once and iirc some years it was 8% so... you could get boned with a 3.5% this year and 8% next year. I'm planning to take the 5%.
hideout wrote:i think the problem is that the founding fathers were all really hot, so protections for hot people are ingrained in the constitution

creamline bling

Postby i am rich » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:46 pm

creamline bling wrote:
i am rich wrote:anybody have a line on how rent stabilization increases might go in the next year? my lease is up in june so basically have to decide in the next few weeks to renew for one year at 2.5% or maybe 3.5% or two at 5%. largest increase ever in my experience since as we know the baby landlords won this round. def not planning on leaving this apartment like ever but not sure if i should bother hoping if i renew for one year now thatll itll be better for tenants in a year

I can't seem to find it again but I saw a chart of the historical increases YoY once and iirc some years it was 8% so... you could get boned with a 3.5% this year and 8% next year. I'm planning to take the 5%.

yeah sadly thats what im leaning toward too
either way i will finally be paying over $200 a month more than when i moved in 12 years ago...

i am rich

Postby pink snake » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:52 pm

i think the general rule of thumb is if you plan on staying long-term, taking 2 year leases works out better over time.

pink snake

Postby i am rich » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:54 pm

yeah i think the only times i renewed for one instead of two years was a couple times when rent didnt go up for one year leases, one time i convinced my old landlord to not raise my rent and then recently during covid shit

i am rich

Postby i am rich » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:43 pm

yeah i was just vainly hoping itd go down again next year but who am i kidding we're probably all permanently cooked
can and will take the two year lease, im never leaving this place

i am rich

Postby pink snake » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:59 am

I guess the other thing is that if you do one year leases the rent increases will be compounded using the higher rent from the previous lease each year.

pink snake

Postby milano boy » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:56 pm

milano boy wrote:anyone interested in buying:
- 2x sunset rubdown tix for march 30 ... face value
- 2x martin dupont tix for may 28... less than face value bc it's not sold out yet

Bump, if any one wants the sunset rubdown tix u can just have them. Pm me your email and I can transfer on ticket master.

milano boy

Postby mancubz » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:13 am

Superiority is back baby
I wanna go tonight but I bet it’s gonna be a loooong wait but holy shit all the food pics look so good
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby milano boy » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:22 pm

My friend went to their soft opening and sent me pics and I was so fucking jealous.

milano boy

Postby papi chulo » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:35 pm

Just finished at superiority burger, tried a bunch of stuff

What a complete fucking hit, like just all around, knocked it totally out of the park
History is the reason
I'm washed up

papi chulo

Postby papi chulo » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:36 pm

Just a beautiful thing they did
History is the reason
I'm washed up

papi chulo

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley