You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby pokethedoke » Mon May 21, 2018 1:11 am

Lockheed let’s hit on chicks
pokethedoke

Postby Chester Minute » Mon May 21, 2018 8:23 am

. wrote:is it strange to have paid first/deposit/fee and then get the lease the next day?

i'm being a paranoid weirdo I'm sure, this person is licensed, has an office, etc.

bump

i met the owners of the place but they basically didn't speak english. the broker got me into the apartment and others and had an "office" that was really a popup space in a medical supply store. she's licensed, but I didn't get a photo id. My check went to the business.

I dunno, I feel like I'm being paranoid about a shitty two-bit operation.
Chester Minute

Postby Franco » Mon May 21, 2018 8:35 am

I can’t imagine a situation where seeing first hand the inner workings of any city realty group would ever leave one feeling comforted
Franco

Postby table for one » Mon May 21, 2018 10:24 am

misfits show was interesting. setlist was great but sound wasn't too hot. i think the wireless guitars gave a lot of bad feedback, mix wasnt great, and danzigs voice is kinda shot...can still yell but not sing so hot. whatev tho.

i skipped harley flannigan on purpose bc i didnt wanna subject my wife to 6 hours of nyhc before the misfits that would be cruel. i missed murphys law on accident but i can still see them in nyc for 10 bucks with like 70 people if i want though i saw them in 2002 and they were incredible live. caught the end of suicidal tendancies they were super tight their drummer fuckin slays.

misfits came onstage through a coffin which was cool, jerry broke like 3 basses. danzigs stage banter is super bizarre and unrefined which was great. the stage had these two 25 foot orange pumpkins which looked super chintzy against the all black with skull motif. the first thing he said on stage was 'can someone turn on the lights in my pumpkins thats how i like them' which was a hight point of the night for me. he also at one point said 'are you sweating your nuts off yet or your tits, nuts if you are a guy, tits if you are a girl, but if your are a guy sweating your tits off thats a whole other situation' which was also a high point.

i had to leave before the encore to beat traffic/dadlife and an upset i missed attitude in the encore. was happy to see them all onstage, glad i went despite paying a lot for tix.

really solid people watching as well
table for one

Postby Cronos » Mon May 21, 2018 12:09 pm

Franco wrote:I can’t imagine a situation where seeing first hand the inner workings of any city realty group would ever leave one feeling comforted

Maybe if you're trying to sue them
Cronos

Postby The Emperor's Son » Mon May 21, 2018 12:13 pm

. wrote:Why is it so hot? I'm going back to Florida

this is what summer feels like here and it'll be like this until october
The Emperor's Son

Postby Chester Minute » Mon May 21, 2018 12:39 pm

(it wasn't that hot)
Chester Minute

Postby Chester Minute » Mon May 21, 2018 12:40 pm

i'm back in florida and it currently feels in the a.c. like it felt in the sun yesterday
Chester Minute

Postby Chester Minute » Mon May 21, 2018 12:41 pm

either way i'm there for good in a week or on the street cause i got elaborately scammed
Chester Minute

Postby Franco » Mon May 21, 2018 1:23 pm

it's gonna be hot
Franco

Postby Franco » Mon May 21, 2018 1:33 pm

are tiki bars good or culturally insensitive? I've enjoyed some aspects of Tiki in the past but it's a question that's been gnawing at me for a few years. I have no faith in Major Food Group as arbiters of good taste, morality, or compassion and this interview with their new partner Brian Miller struck me with its anti-PC language and....the photo kicker.

https://ny.eater.com/2018/5/21/17374188/polynesian-major-food-group-tiki-bar-photos-nyc

The Polynesian opens as tiki bars regain nationwide popularity — and as many people have been taking a more critical look, questioning the cultural sensitivities of the style. Last summer, an Oregon tiki bar rebranded following an outcry from people of Polynesian ancestry, who said that cartoonish displays of traditional iconography were offensive. A curator at the Smithsonian’s Asian Pacific Islander Center told NPR that though Pacific Islanders have largely ignored tiki bars, seeing cups with carvings of Hawaiian gods or ancestors still “can be hard,” suggesting it can feel invalidating to the culture.

Miller admits that over the years, culturally insensitive mugs and illustrations have popped up at tiki bars. He even saw an old Trader Vic’s menu where islanders were illustrated with “big lips and slanty eyes; it wasn’t a good thing,” he says.

But the bartender — who first became interested in the islands on family visits to Hawaii and also lived there briefly — finds discussion of cultural appropriation around tiki to be “kind of sad,” verging on “cruel and mean,” he says. “Tiki comes from a place of happiness and generosity and family and kindness,” he says. “Cultural appropriation, when people are trying to pin that tail on tiki, they’re coming from a negative place. They’re looking for a fight. They’re looking for an argument.”

The Polynesian is a “very personal” project, says Miller; although he is “by no means Polynesian,” he probably knows “more about Polynesian history than mainland American history,” he says.

Franco

Postby churrokbyme » Mon May 21, 2018 3:02 pm

Franco wrote:are tiki bars good or culturally insensitive? I've enjoyed some aspects of Tiki in the past but it's a question that's been gnawing at me for a few years. I have no faith in Major Food Group as arbiters of good taste, morality, or compassion and this interview with their new partner Brian Miller struck me with its anti-PC language and....the photo kicker.

https://ny.eater.com/2018/5/21/17374188/polynesian-major-food-group-tiki-bar-photos-nyc

I think they are both? I really enjoy well-made rum based drinks and jungle themed decor and will be checking this spot out on guiseppe gonzales' recommendation - but yeah of course its cultural appropriation in almost all cases and racism in some. There is a tiki bar in oakland that insists that they are a "jungle" bar and does not use the word tiki or any word relating to the appropriation of Polynesian cultures for this reason.

Paraphrasing, but Beach Bum Barry's Potions of the Caribbean (a very well regarded tiki book) opens with "before we get into this, you cannot talk about tiki culture or drinks without acknowledging that tiki culture would not exist if it wasn't for 500 years of genocide, slavery, rape, murder, and oppression."
churrokbyme

Postby Franco » Mon May 21, 2018 3:21 pm

Yeah there is a better way to handle it. Not surprised that the corporate MFG guys are coming off over-rehearsed and callous.
Franco

Postby lockheed » Mon May 21, 2018 5:19 pm

Last edited by lockheed on Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nice day if it doesn't rain.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby lockheed » Mon May 21, 2018 5:19 pm

Last edited by lockheed on Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nice day if it doesn't rain.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby Franco » Mon May 21, 2018 5:26 pm

yeah. i think the Broken Shaker looks really cool too speaking of summer island vibes.

I'm not in full shame on MFG mode with this, but i dunno, something about the delicate nature of it mixed with their exclusive, aggressive capitalist vibe of late rubbed me the wrong way. I love a tiki drink too much not to see what it's about myself so I'm full of shit.
Franco

Postby churrokbyme » Mon May 21, 2018 6:10 pm

Franco wrote:yeah. i think the Broken Shaker looks really cool too speaking of summer island vibes.

I'm not in full shame on MFG mode with this, but i dunno, something about the delicate nature of it mixed with their exclusive, aggressive capitalist vibe of late rubbed me the wrong way. I love a tiki drink too much not to see what it's about myself so I'm full of shit.

Indeed. It's tangential to your point but I would love to see more conversations about how American's are racist about their food and drink in general. Alex Stupak's book is really good on this. $50 for a plate of pasta? "That's fine, it must be really high quality" $8 for taco made by cooks with the same experience and the same quality of ingredients? "I can't believe they are charging $8 for a taco!!"

One of the reasons why I had to quit the specialty coffee industry was for a similar concept. The only way to have a sustainable coffee business model on par with american labor and wage laws one would have to charge the same amount as a cocktail or craft beer. While some companies are pushing the consumers in that direction, my gut tells me that the majority will always take umbridge with a cup of coffee more than $5, despite paying lipservice to ethical coffee sourcing and fair return to producers.
churrokbyme

Postby Franco » Mon May 21, 2018 6:19 pm

Chang's Netflix show tried to deep dive on exactly those issues to varying degrees of success. I liked a lot of it and maybe it'll go further if he does more. The Noma/Tulum situation comes to mind as one particular blindspot bc they couldn't resist putting a heavenly sheen on everything Redzepi gets up to.
Franco

Postby pokethedoke » Mon May 21, 2018 8:21 pm

The broken shaker is also a place in Miami from Freehand. The cocktails there were super bad. Chang is fucking annoying. That's the only issue with that show.
pokethedoke

Postby pokethedoke » Mon May 21, 2018 10:06 pm

where should I move when the l shuts down? I'd like to be somewhere somewhat cool
pokethedoke

Postby Zurich » Tue May 22, 2018 3:18 am

Bud's got one more for.tonight's 0pn. Face teleconference
Zurich

Postby Franco » Tue May 22, 2018 8:46 am

Franco

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue May 22, 2018 9:36 am

...damn. what a bummer

rest in power
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby Zurich » Tue May 22, 2018 11:12 am

Whoops, guess j already covered this
Zurich

Postby bear » Tue May 22, 2018 11:29 am

super longshot but if anyone has extra tickets to the late OPN show on Thursday I would love to go!
hpn.center - the #1 source for all your boarding needs
bear
good bear

Postby Zurich » Tue May 22, 2018 11:33 am

Zurich wrote:Bud's got one more for 0pn tonight

Actually now it's a full pair. $80 takes em (face).

edit: tix are now gone
Zurich

Postby pokethedoke » Tue May 22, 2018 9:10 pm

ratbags wrote:poke, you ever try cooking some shit

Since ratbag posted this I've cooked bratwurst 3 days in a row at home.
pokethedoke

Postby pokethedoke » Tue May 22, 2018 10:23 pm

Is ridgewood where all the cool kids live?
pokethedoke

Postby loaf angel » Tue May 22, 2018 10:25 pm

anyone doing nowadays this weekend

DJ Spinna gonna be there sunday night. love him
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
loaf angel

Postby Mr Spaceship » Tue May 22, 2018 10:48 pm

pokethedoke wrote:Is ridgewood where all the cool kids live?

yup :P
Mr Spaceship

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....