milano boy

Postby milano boy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:06 pm

i don't feel like doing work and i'm trying to get into SOME DISCUSSION
milano boy

Postby came to wreck » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:08 pm

art world loves to posture for sure
came to wreck

Postby scurrydog » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:31 pm

I would like to show at the shed one day.
love you guys!
scurrydog
ok

Postby shizaam » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:40 pm

this weather is bonkers
shizaam

Postby Denise » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:41 pm

i got very sweaty
Denise

Postby galactagogue » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:06 pm

milano boy wrote:also, fwiw, i'd love to be proven wrong in all my cynicism above.

i meaaaaan

limp counter argument is that this basically what goes on in the art world broadly and the idea the it caters to the Oh So Contemporary trend of suddenly celebrating black artists - yeah it's problematic- but also it's at the very least giving hard working black artists the same indulgent vanity.

there is a legitimate sharing of resource and visibility, question the motivations for sure, but the end result is still a leveling of the field.
I know what you did last summer, but i just don't give a shit
galactagogue

Postby milknight » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:07 pm

milano boy wrote:i think the make up of the board is really bizarre and it's just a bunch of people who want to attach themselves to an org to be in the "cool kids club".
isnt this just the Art World
milknight

Postby milknight » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:07 pm

oh i guess goggs already made that post
milknight

Postby galactagogue » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:10 pm

came to wreck wrote:art world loves to posture for sure

There's a meta- structure to the art world that is easy to criticize. The more granular reality is there there are TONS of people employed within who resist it or are disappointed with it in the same ways we all are. I can't say whether that's all that meaningful or not in the long run, but I think it's worth keeping in mind. And also understanding that, uhh, a BIG reason it is that way is because a small pool of people are the ones bankrolling so much of it and the idea that any art is available to the public is sort of a way of fulfilling the philosophical narrative of Art In Society but not Artists in Society.
galactagogue

Postby galactagogue » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:11 pm

yeah my most meaningful counter argument is just that Black artists should be able to enjoy the same freedom to be mediocre, generic, redundant or Cool that is afforded to any other White artist. And the onus is honestly ALWAYS on the artist to game these institutions to their own ends as much as they can.
galactagogue

Postby galactagogue » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:15 pm

milano boy wrote:
galactagogue wrote:
landspeedrecord wrote:
milano boy wrote:also, like, fuck "the shed".

no.

it’s easily one of the nicest pieces of architecture that has been erected in recent memory, they work on the patronage model where they pay artists to produce new work for the space, they’re multidisciplinary, and a lot of their curatorial staff are women and poc

like sure, it’s monied. this is the art world after all. but it has serious promise imo

im actually really curious about this. the artist i work for has some offer to work with the shed-- he's obviously black. the shed website reads like stardard Chelsea Art World stuff but I was curious about how it reads in the city's usual line-up. This is probably a tenuous connection but I'm getting Red Bull Music vibes too.

What was yr issue with it Milano?

i think the make up of the board is really bizarre and it's just a bunch of people who want to attach themselves to an org to be in the "cool kids club". i think best case scenario, it'll be a more interesting park avenue armory, worst case scenario it will be just boring rich persons playground with minority/POC art posturing.

edit: should add that the board at a place of this size and this amount of capital pretty much dictates what goes on at an org like this.

ok and one more rant cus this kinda matters to me.

This lukewarm defense of it isn't to say I think people should walk around praising how great it is. I think the skepticism is legit and necessary. IF I had the option, would i wanna be on a board for something like the shed? Nah. Not at all. It's not where my heart is. But i recognize it as necessary in a dialectic way–– to be cannibalized down the road.
galactagogue

Postby pink snake » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:22 pm

I did it. I had the burger at Au Cheval. Now I can never come back here lol.
pink snake

Postby pink snake » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:32 pm

After eating my $20 cheeseburger I trekked uptown and picked up a special edition Lou Reed New York Public Library card. Feeling like a real New Yorker today.
pink snake

Postby milano boy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:56 pm

good posts goggs.

so yea, i totally agree with you that black artists should be able to enjoy the freedom as white artists and every artist should try to game the system as much as they can. and yea, this is "the art world", but the people running the shed are just absolutely dripping with money in a way that's different from other orgs in nyc. none of these people joined the shed and paid board dues out of the kindness of their heart, it's 100% self-serving (and yes the same goes for other similar non profit art orgs here). it's real estate money, designed to bring more money to hudson yards.

the armory's mission is to restore a really, really cool building over time, pioneer works mission is really community oriented as it relates to red hook. i just have a hard time seeing a mission at the shed outside of like...money. my worry and cause for heightened skepticism with this place in particular, is that this is not a place for the masses and it was never intended to be. i really do hope it helps to level the playing field for POC artists, but I am extremely skeptical that the long term artistic direction will continue down that path.

and like yea, i know i said "fuck the shed", but that was less about the programming and more about what it stands for and how different it is from other orgs here. will i go see something there if it interests me? of course.
milano boy

Postby galactagogue » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:12 pm

Yeah the real estate angle is definitely unique in this case and way more pernicious in a place like NY. I honestly had the same gut revulsion when I was looking into their website and seeing the amount lip-service that is dedicate to just the physical space/construction and additions... definitely seems weird to hold those things on the same level as the messaging of the programming. They aren't necessarily at odds with each other on the surface, but the mechanics of each definitely involve different priorities$$.
galactagogue

Postby milano boy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:36 pm

having dasha zhukova on the board is so telling of what this place stands for (to me!). old piece, but still a funny read:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2009/oct/04/dasha-zhukova-interview-roman-abramovich

"As if to prove her silly dilettantism, when a journalist asked Dasha about her favourite artists, she replied, "I'm, like, really bad at remembering names.""
milano boy

Postby gauchebag » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:42 pm

landspeedrecord wrote:
gauchebag wrote:my hombre just bought me a ticket to see bill callahan in july at murmmrrr theater in the jewish temple by grand army plaza, been wanting to go there for a while. nice short ride home after the show too.

now that’s a good friend! tix sold out in like 5 minutes

that's weird he was in a meeting at 10am when they went on sale and didn't get them until closer to 10:30 i'm p sure. must have just got lucky.
bruce1: fucking, fighting, i'm the one with gun
gauchebag

Postby Franco » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:14 pm

Does anyone know of local Muslim organizations that I could donate to
Franco

Postby came to wreck » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:16 pm

jus saw today that hudson yards has art by jeanette hayes who has been known to steal from asian artists so much its like her thing now and she weirdly makes references to it all the time on IG as if she's bragging/trolling the hates and then daniel arsham's (who is also known as a hack who steals ideas) snarkitecture has a thing there as well lol
came to wreck

Postby Franco » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Woke up to the news today and an hour later encountered my very first MAGA hat on the subway commute. This day has sucked and I feel helpless and just want to put my money or time into something rn
Franco

Postby pokethedoke » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:20 pm

The vessel looks like art designed by Michael Bay. It's a reflection of New York's awful architecture.
pokethedoke

Postby galactagogue » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 pm

milano boy wrote:having dasha zhukova on the board is so telling of what this place stands for (to me!). old piece, but still a funny read:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2009/oct/04/dasha-zhukova-interview-roman-abramovich

"As if to prove her silly dilettantism, when a journalist asked Dasha about her favourite artists, she replied, "I'm, like, really bad at remembering names.""

lol. excuse me while i hate-read.
galactagogue

Postby shizaam » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:36 pm

pokethedoke wrote:The vessel looks like art designed by Michael Bay. It's a reflection of New York's awful architecture.

https://ny.eater.com/2019/3/15/18265718 ... l-shawarma

I also can't not see
shizaam

Postby milknight » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:44 pm

i hate pokethedokes new thing where he pretends to not be a dumbass can we ban him or something
milknight

Postby gentleman » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:59 pm

gauchebag wrote:
landspeedrecord wrote:
gauchebag wrote:my hombre just bought me a ticket to see bill callahan in july at murmmrrr theater in the jewish temple by grand army plaza, been wanting to go there for a while. nice short ride home after the show too.

now that’s a good friend! tix sold out in like 5 minutes

that's weird he was in a meeting at 10am when they went on sale and didn't get them until closer to 10:30 i'm p sure. must have just got lucky.

i got out of a meeting at 1030 and the only tickets available for murmrr were on the balcony or loosie individual tickets on the main floor. i opted for 2 tickets at white eagle for 1/3 less than murmrr. i live close to the path train and figure itll be chiller there.

huge bill callahan fan. last time i saw him, my wife nearly fainted at baby's all right. terrible venue for him.

also saw him at webster hall or irving in 2013...i forget...the full band was incredible.
gentleman

Postby pokethedoke » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:02 pm

Hudson Yards is really bad. Just went. Cross it off your lists pronto.
pokethedoke

Postby Franco » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:24 pm

Done
Franco

Postby landspeedrecord » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:46 pm

gentleman wrote:i got out of a meeting at 1030 and the only tickets available for murmrr were on the balcony or loosie individual tickets on the main floor. i opted for 2 tickets at white eagle for 1/3 less than murmrr. i live close to the path train and figure itll be chiller there.

huge bill callahan fan. last time i saw him, my wife nearly fainted at baby's all right. terrible venue for him.

also saw him at webster hall or irving in 2013...i forget...the full band was incredible.

that show was at webster hall

lonnie holley opened and blew my fucking mind
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....