Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Ebbnflo » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:58 am

super gas wrote:how many average sized broker's fees does someone have get in a month to make six figures? four? for showing someone an apartment.

Its more like ten.

Idk this is kind of a weird question to ask but here's an equally weird answer

It depends on the price of the listing, the commission amount, whether the listing is a sales or rental. Brokers fees can be anywhere from equal to 1 month's rent (reasonable) to 15% (gross)

I am not a broker but I know a fair amount of them who are and rest assured there is way more to the job than just showing up

Ebbnflo

Postby delgriffith » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:24 am

jett wrote:Yeah some landlords will still use brokers and pass the fees on in the form of rent increase. The key to this change though is the brokers have to clash with a much more powerful player (landlords) about their ridiculous pricing scheme instead of the least powerful players (renters) being shafted because they have the least leverage to change the dynamics.

Exactly

delgriffith

Postby mchamartin » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:44 am

Ebbnflo wrote:
super gas wrote:how many average sized broker's fees does someone have get in a month to make six figures? four? for showing someone an apartment.

Its more like ten.

It depends on the price of the listing, the commission amount, whether the listing is a sales or rental. Brokers fees can be anywhere from equal to 1 month's rent (reasonable) to 15% (gross)

I am not a broker but I know a fair amount of them who are and rest assured there is way more to the job than just showing up

lol a broker absolutely does not need ten fees a month to crack six figures. You think the average broker fee is like $800? Our broker actually cut us a deal for various reasons and charged us less than one month's rent but the fee was still $2100. You make four of those a month, you make six figures.

mchamartin

Postby pink snake » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:48 am

My last apartment had a broker that worked for the landlord. She opened the door for me and then I owed her $1700. My current apartment had no broker's fee.

pink snake

Postby VHGisdead » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:05 am

mchamartin wrote:
Ebbnflo wrote:

Its more like ten.

lol a broker absolutely does not need ten fees a month to crack six figures. You think the average broker fee is like $800? Our broker actually cut us a deal for various reasons and charged us less than one month's rent but the fee was still $2100. You make four of those a month, you make six figures.

just guessing that not every dollar of the broker fee makes it into a person's gross personal income, which is what I think they question was about

anyway this is cool
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.

VHGisdead

Postby super gas » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:31 pm

the income obviously depends on if the broker is a solo practitioner and so forth but the bottom line is that it's a scam that new yorkers have been forced to deal with for no legitimate reason. most things in real estate are scams.

super gas

Postby lockheed » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:23 pm

came to wreck wrote:fuck a broker
Nice day if it doesn't rain.

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby super gas » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:25 pm

to literally fuck a broker, supposedly this is a thing:

love it.

super gas

Postby gauchebag » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:31 pm

lockheed wrote:

i have never paid a broker fee and who knows how many apartments i have lived in at this point

see what you do is filter results on padmapper for NO FEE APARTMENTS and then you can feel like you are getting scammed a little less even though the fee is probably built into the rent

then you don't have to be angry about brokers and fees, only nonrefundable application fees
bruce1: fucking, fighting, i'm the one with gun

gauchebag

Postby lockheed » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:34 pm

ive never even been on a lease in new york

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby mchamartin » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:15 pm

VHGisdead wrote:
mchamartin wrote:
Ebbnflo wrote:

Its more like ten.

just guessing that not every dollar of the broker fee makes it into a person's gross personal income, which is what I think they question was about

anyway this is cool

I guess, but then, our broker also asked to receive the fee in cash (one of the reasons he was willing to cut us a deal), so I've never been under the impression that he reported it to anybody or cut anybody else in on it. I think he was also a solo operator, as was the broker on my previous apartment. Maybe the dudes working for Corcoran or whatever are sharing, but I'm pretty sure the ones I've worked with were just pocketing the money.

mchamartin

Postby Ebbnflo » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:27 pm

mchamartin wrote:our broker also asked to receive the fee in cash (one of the reasons he was willing to cut us a deal), so I've never been under the impression that he reported it to anybody or cut anybody else in on it. I think he was also a solo operator, as was the broker on my previous apartment. Maybe the dudes working for Corcoran or whatever are sharing, but I'm pretty sure the ones I've worked with were just pocketing the money.

believe it or not there are brokers who actually try to uphold some transparency and integrity*

then you have this kind of sheistery shit. Sorry this happened to you as that should not be happening at all. To anyone

Commissions should only be paid in certified checks too, no different than first months rent and the security deposit

* those fuckers at the corcorans and compasses of the world do not necessarily practice this but to your assumption you are correct that at the very least they are sharing the commission, usually split three ways

Ebbnflo

Postby lightfoot » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:05 pm

fuck a broker

lightfoot

Postby lightfoot » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:09 pm

ty super gas for posting that, we got charged $2000 in september

lightfoot

Postby milano boy » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:56 pm

gauchebag wrote:
lockheed wrote:

i have never paid a broker fee and who knows how many apartments i have lived in at this point

see what you do is filter results on padmapper for NO FEE APARTMENTS and then you can feel like you are getting scammed a little less even though the fee is probably built into the rent

then you don't have to be angry about brokers and fees, only nonrefundable application fees

i think application fees were recently made illegal too? or they are maxed out at $20 or something

milano boy

Postby mancubz » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:05 pm

I’m funna need a new apartment in April (if I don’t go nuts and end my relationship bc I “feel like it”) so all this shit is dope as hell
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

Johan POOPLER wrote: i'd rather live another 50 years with an untouched nutsack than be rent from the platonic embrace of my sweet, beloved bitch.

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby super gas » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:25 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/nyregion/nyc-brokers-fees-ban.html

Many brokers, caught off guard by the surprise announcement, appeared to continue operating business as usual on Thursday, arguing that the state’s guidance was an interpretation of the law, not an enforceable mandate.

In an email to his staff, Gary Malin, the chief operating officer of Corcoran, one of the largest brokerage firms in New York, urged brokers “to push back on this harmful and haphazard interpretation of the Tenant Protection Act.”

“In the meantime, remember that this interpretation merely represents the opinion of the DOS,” he wrote, referring to New York’s Department of State. “Until further notice, we recommend continuing to conduct your business in accordance with the law and all applicable regulations, not advisory opinions promulgated in haste.”

fuck these people.

on the cost:

Raphael Mandelbaum, who owns five buildings with about 300 rent-stabilized units in the Bronx and the Inwood neighborhood in Manhattan, said he was caught by surprise and would convene his staff to figure out what to do.

Mr. Mandelbaum said he can’t raise rents significantly because of government-imposed limits, and he cannot afford to pay the brokers, so now he may have to show the apartments himself, as he did when he got into the business in 2010.

imagine that. we just wiped out 10 years of abusive practices.

super gas

Postby super gas » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:26 pm

lightfoot wrote:ty super gas for posting that, we got charged $2000 in september

sorry for getting your hopes up,

On Thursday, the Department of State said the changes only applied to future rentals.

super gas

Postby cool party » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:58 pm

- the "landlords will just pass on the added cost as rent" is why you support the housing justice for all local politics candidates and julia salazar's good cause eviction bill which creates near universal rent control so that we can render that discussion moot

- the person who asked about whether those documents were normal to ask for, unfortunately that's pretty much not too different from what the nyc affordable housing program apartments ask for although yes like the other person said the social security card and birth certificate are overboard and are not necessary to review creditworthiness

- application fees are no longer legal. background check fees and credit check fees are limited to the actual cost of the service or $20, whichever is less

- if you paid a broker fee for an nyc apartment you are probably a bougie transplant with a nice renovated place who moved in during a landlords' season like august/september, because as gauchebag said it is pretty easy to avoid paying a broker fee by using the proper options on the popular listing sites and knowing how to look
cool party

Postby super gas » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:38 pm

everyone in new york is a transplant.

super gas

Postby gentleman » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:51 pm

super gas wrote:everyone in new york is a transplant.

not everyone, honky.

gentleman

Postby fuckles » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:59 pm

looking for short term rental from april-may in greenpoint, not from boarder gentleman though because i already know he's lived here for a long time
Cyril Sneer wrote:INSANE post. I could literally read it for hours.

fuckles

Postby gauchebag » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:59 pm

super gas wrote:everyone in new york is a transplant.

idk man not everyone is from scandinavia

some of us are from ohio, iowa and other states with 3 vowels or more in the name. alaska.
Last edited by gauchebag on Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gauchebag

Postby gentleman » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:00 pm

fuckles wrote:looking for short term rental from april-may in greenpoint, not from boarder gentleman though because i already know he's lived here for a long time

whew! how's it going fuckles? it's been awhile.

gentleman

Postby fuckles » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:23 pm

it's been good, how's it like being owned?
Cyril Sneer wrote:INSANE post. I could literally read it for hours.

fuckles

Postby Celiac » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:26 pm

Fuckles is back!
Douglas Jones... He moved like a cobra.

Celiac

Postby vegas » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:25 pm

based on this thread got a Rush ticket for American Utopia. Colin Jost and Chelsea Handler were there lol
Wish it wasn't Broadway casue it was nearly all impossibly old white people which also made the Monae cover particularly....strangeToggle Spoiler . Still, really good though.
Sincerely yours,
Peter Quistgard

vegas

Postby lockheed » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:06 pm

lockheed wrote:hey here are some things on stage i'm seeing soon, these are all off or off off:

thunder rock at metropolitan playhouse
packrat at dixon place
transformation of benjamin banneker at la mama
anatomy of a suicide at atlantic
stew at page 73
where we stand at wp theater

and got a ticket for west side story for february 11th!

besides a couple, most of those have come to pass. picked up tickets to Dana H at the vineyard and We're Gonna Die at 2nd stage for tonight. Still want to pick up tickets for Intimate Apparel, Coal Country, and Hot Wing King, but I'll have to drum up some more money lol

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby lockheed » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:08 pm

also the rush tickets for hamlet at st. ann's warehouse are only $20 but i definitely get beat on those every day

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby gauchebag » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:08 pm

vegas wrote:based on this thread got a Rush ticket for American Utopia. Colin Jost and Chelsea Handler were there lol
Wish it wasn't Broadway casue it was nearly all impossibly old white people which also made the Monae cover particularly....strangeToggle Spoiler . Still, really good though.

i didn't get lucky this morning i'll keep trying

gauchebag

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....