Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby gutenmorgan » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:31 pm

To be clear (I'd been hanging out around there from circa '01 onwards and have definitely followed the changes in the neighborhood), once she was pushed aside and the Loft Law was allowed to expand to include that area, rents went from gentrifying market rate to stabilized in the lofts. We moved in '18 and our apartment was still frozen at what we paid in 2010, with no signs of that changing. She was applying south of Flushing concerns about replacement of stabilized apartments with market rate apartments to north of Flushing reality where market rate illegal apartments had replaced vacant industrial space and needed to be recognized to be stabilized.

gutenmorgan

Postby cool party » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:38 pm

that's awesome that it worked out that way! too bad you left.

ahh, didn't realize she did that. thanks for clarifying, an interesting piece of history to know
cool party

Postby hoopdog » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:43 pm

loaf angel wrote:

where am i supposed to get my hot noodz at now?

their fairly new lic location burned down in january as well. has not been a good year for them.

hoopdog
ride.

Postby endless dave » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:08 pm

That is truly sad about Xian locations shutting down. My gf and I made it a weekly habit to get stuff from the Greenpoint location. The meal kit things they’re doing now are pretty solid actually but this is a real bummer

endless dave

Postby gutenmorgan » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:14 am

cool party wrote:that's awesome that it worked out that way! too bad you left.

ahh, didn't realize she did that. thanks for clarifying, an interesting piece of history to know

No worries, it's a historical anomaly at this point I imagine. Just giving people who wanted an excuse to dislike her :) There was an asian politician whose name I am blanking on who courted our loft votes as a neighborhood around 2017 or so; believe he lost that primary in a landslide.

It was a great arrangement, though we had some tense landlord encounters to begin paying that amount, and I suspect that others (particularly who hadn't lived there in 2010 to know the rent at that point firsthand) simply never insisted on their rights. Combination of wanting to buy/have exciting luxuries like a bathtub/potentially have a kid in a non-supremely-polluted neighborhood/L train shutdown that never happened prompted us to leave, but in theory it would have been a classic real estate story we could have kept going for many more years. I assume they raised it up to market rate the second we left and someone new came off the bus from liberal arts school.

gutenmorgan

Postby shizaam » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:25 am

endless dave wrote:That is truly sad about Xian locations shutting down. My gf and I made it a weekly habit to get stuff from the Greenpoint location. The meal kit things they’re doing now are pretty solid actually but this is a real bummer

yeah i hope they make it through alright, even if some of the shops need to close. dropping in for an order spicy lamb noodles + cukes is one of my favorite things in the city.

shizaam

Postby milano boy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:52 am

anyone else get asked to give testimony tomorrow at the zoom hearing?

milano boy

Postby shizaam » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:30 pm

christ, the construction on flushing along the navy yard is somehow worse than ever. p sure they're never going to finish that bike lane. also traffic def seems to be back in full force???

shizaam

Postby VHGisdead » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:03 am

Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.

VHGisdead

Postby scrambled » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:21 am

how's everyone's "fireworks" situation in their neighborhood? i feel like i'm starting to become a truther . it's been pretty constant in my neck of bushwick but i'm not sure if it is louder than usual but i also have perpetual noise in my apt/headphones in because i'm afraid of silence anyway

scrambled

Postby mancubz » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:55 am

lol my friend has a theory about the source of this fireworks thing and is doing an investigative journalism on it tomorrow
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

Johan POOPLER wrote: i'd rather live another 50 years with an untouched nutsack than be rent from the platonic embrace of my sweet, beloved bitch.

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby sympathy » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:04 am

damn, thats nuts. I’ve been wondering what was going on with that. Figured people are just restless. It seems constant in Ridgewood but I’ve been managing to sleep through it with the AC on

sympathy
ok

Postby mancubz » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:19 am

she said complaints are up 4000% since this time last year, and during a time when people are saying "fuck cops"
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

Johan POOPLER wrote: i'd rather live another 50 years with an untouched nutsack than be rent from the platonic embrace of my sweet, beloved bitch.

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby pink snake » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:24 am

I sleep with the windows open here in South Williamsburg and it's so loud every night. Sounds like bombs going off. I see some pretty fireworks in the sky but for the most part it's just these gigantic loud explosions.

pink snake

Postby VHB » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:26 am

the firework shit is apparently a nationwide phenomena. Definitely happening in my neighborhood too.

pink snake wrote:I sleep with the windows open here in South Williamsburg and it's so loud every night. Sounds like bombs going off. I see some pretty fireworks in the sky but for the most part it's just these gigantic loud explosions.

Yup

mancubz wrote:lol my friend has a theory about the source of this fireworks thing and is doing an investigative journalism on it tomorrow

would love a link once they've got it up if you're so inclined
galactagogue wrote:i usually just assume no one is into me, it makes it easier to be myself.

Suspension Bridge wrote:Werewolf was the best thing to happen to me in 2015 and that includes my wedding

bill wrote:every hooker deserves an Oscar for faking orgasms i swear to god

Kenny wrote:If you can remmeber any conversation with a cashier 30 seconds after you had it you're doing it wrong

VHB
VHS

Postby cool party » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:41 am

yeah i am definitely a truther on the source of the fireworks. i have lived in nyc for pretty much all my life and never heard it this severely and for this sustained a period. it's normal for it to happen sporadically in the weeks before and after july 4th, but this year it's every night including late into weeknights

the times pointed out that there were 80 times as many 311 complaints than usual, but then did their usual milquetoast unsubstantiated liberal positivity thing and chalked it all up to quar-fatigue and opposing the police.

i'm sure that's part of it but something weirder is definitely going on. the sheer volume suggests there is more supply, not just lax enforcement by cops. would also like to read mancubz's friend's article
cool party

Postby drwiley » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:49 am

I just got a new lease in the mail and my management has the audacity to raise the rent.

Like c'mon dawg.

drwiley

Postby draw » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:00 am

scrambled wrote:how's everyone's "fireworks" situation in their neighborhood? i feel like i'm starting to become a truther . it's been pretty constant in my neck of bushwick but i'm not sure if it is louder than usual but i also have perpetual noise in my apt/headphones in because i'm afraid of silence anyway

strikes me as something that would be hard to keep a lid on

my assumption is just that people are bored

draw

Postby sympathy » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:01 am

thats pretty cool of the police to demonstrate their total worthlessness to the 311 narcs who already support them

sympathy
ok

Postby lightfoot » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:07 am

i'm all in on fireworks trutherism

lightfoot

Postby lightfoot » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:08 am

draw wrote:
scrambled wrote:how's everyone's "fireworks" situation in their neighborhood? i feel like i'm starting to become a truther . it's been pretty constant in my neck of bushwick but i'm not sure if it is louder than usual but i also have perpetual noise in my apt/headphones in because i'm afraid of silence anyway

strikes me as something that would be hard to keep a lid on

my assumption is just that people are bored

you're right, it would definitely be out of character for the police to intentionally create havoc in their communities

lightfoot

Postby draw » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:13 am

that's literally not what my post says

draw

Postby cool party » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:18 am

it wouldn’t be too difficult. all they’d need to do is dig into the warehouse of some PD that confiscated a bunch and have undercovers or a friend resell them in bulk to big illegal retailers or out of state stores that derive business from nyc
cool party

Postby came to wreck » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:49 am

so yalls theory is the PD is supplying the illegal fireworks to ppl? it seems it is a nationwide thing - quick google brings up stories in boston, north carolina, bay area, detroit, etc. most likely its that ppl are bored and restless from quarantine and everyday seeing a new injustice from PD and wanna blow some shit up. also a lot of ppl dont have jobs now or are working from home so kinda explains how ppl can now be up til 2am lighting fireworks on a tuesday. i dont have kids or anything so i guess i havent cared and am kinda used to the booms now. also i think ppl need to stop reporting that shit cause it wont do anything except allow the media to write stories about how police are needed and they should instead go outside and talk to their neighbors about it if it bothers them.

came to wreck

Postby sympathy » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:01 pm

even if its restless people its still noteworthy if the PDs are straight up ignoring the calls

sympathy
ok

Postby lightfoot » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:07 pm

cool party wrote:it wouldn’t be too difficult. all they’d need to do is dig into the warehouse of some PD that confiscated a bunch and have undercovers or a friend resell them in bulk to big illegal retailers or out of state stores that derive business from nyc

100%

lightfoot

Postby came to wreck » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:11 pm

tbh id rather they ignore the calls if it means less of a chance a cop shoots a black person for holding a sparkler

some of yall starting to sound like my uncle when he talks about george soros

came to wreck

Postby VHGisdead » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:16 pm

way more fireworks than usual in jc. I personally know at least one person who is shooting some of them based on her Instagram stories
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.

VHGisdead

Postby lockheed » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:00 pm

i had a totally different unsubstantiated theory about the fireworks, that they have turned in to an escalating fuckin crazy game of oneupsmanship between rival firework gangs and like more people are getting in to it each day, like ppl that did used to have jobs and be a part of society and definitely know how to light off fireworks and coming out of early retirement, escalating escalating all summer until it fuckin blows man

but yeah, i thought it was just tons of post-lockdown fireworks celebrations that morphed organically in to rivalries and increasingly sophisticated performances and shit, like vogueing or something. being creative when you have nothing to do and the city is fucked up.
Nice day if it doesn't rain.

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby cool party » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:05 pm

i agree that the more the police fuck off, the better, but it is entirely possible that the cops are being snowflakes and allowing things to happen unabated to fuck up "quality of life" and crime metrics to justify more funding to themselves and prove their own babby thesis that de blasio is a commie who hates cops and they need to get paid $100k more a year
cool party

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....