You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby lightfoot » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:38 am

yes king!!!

lightfoot

Postby lightfoot » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:43 am

delgriffith wrote:Popping in from my attempted board hiatus to say that we've got less than 24 hours until they finalize the FY2021 budget and de Blasio/Corey Johnson are trying to push through a "deal" that will look like $1 billion in cuts but is anything but that - just bullshit shell game shenanigans so they can claim a big PR win

The updated script at http://defund-nypd.glitch.me/ specifically addresses these latest developments, please please please take time today to email (at the very least) your council member and make sure they vote NO on any budget deal that doesn't ensure AT LEAST $1 billion in meaningful cuts from the NYPD. That means actual line item cuts, reductions in headcount - real divestment, so that the money that can then be invested in youth programs, health, education, homeless services, housing etc.

If you use the above script, please do make your own adjustments so that it's not just filtered through as another template email! But also... get on the phones and try to get through, leave a message if you need to, then try again - call your own council member first before you call anyone else, and try to ask their staff to commit to a NO vote on the record because a lot of them are ducking on the specifics or trying to muddy the water right now.

Personally, I am calling for what NYC DSA is demanding ($3 billion in cuts to be reinvested in the above areas) - their call and email script is available here - but whatever you do, please just put the pressure on your elected officials to say NO to the bullshit deal that's on the table.

https://defund-nypd-reps.glitch.me/ will tell you where your council member is currently at + relevant contact info, and that DSA doc also includes some specific notes for members who sit on the budget negotiation committee - especially relevant for those (like my representative, Robert Cornegy Jr.) who are running for a higher office in 2021 and beyond.

Thank you and solidarity!!! <3

Edit: Also I abused my mod powers to change the thread title temporarily :twisted:

quote for the new page

lightfoot

Postby delgriffith » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:13 pm

Bump!!!
delgriffith

Postby lightfoot » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:19 pm

sent out a bunch of emails!

have you been able to get through to anyone on the phone del? my councilmember (mathieu eugene) has been impossible to reach all day

lightfoot

Postby fuckles » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:20 pm

ban user delgrfith for abusing mod powers
Cyril Sneer wrote:INSANE post. I could literally read it for hours.

fuckles

Postby delgriffith » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:23 pm

Not yet, got voicemails for both Robert Cornegy Jr. offices and Corey Johnson too, about to try the latter back because someone told me they got a staffer on recently. Just saw this re: Cornegy for anyone calling his office specifically:

Saw a tweet earlier that one of his staffers called someone back earlier this morning to reiterate that he's committed to at least $1 billion in cuts but not answering if he was going to vote no on the bullshit fake cuts deal
delgriffith

Postby mancubz » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:31 pm

thanks for the links, del!
also, how do i dispose of electronics? i have an old ass broken laptop, but the one electronics wasted disposal in manhattan is "temporarily closed"?
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

Johan POOPLER wrote: i'd rather live another 50 years with an untouched nutsack than be rent from the platonic embrace of my sweet, beloved bitch.

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby sympathy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:57 pm

delgriffith wrote:Edit: Also I abused my mod powers to change the thread title temporarily :twisted:

anytime, its the peoples thread

sympathy
ok

Postby reepicheep » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:40 pm

mancubz wrote:thanks for the links, del!
also, how do i dispose of electronics? i have an old ass broken laptop, but the one electronics wasted disposal in manhattan is "temporarily closed"?

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dsny/site/s ... -drop-offs

Jesus Christ, the drop off points are closed through June of 2021!

My broken tv in the corner gets to spend another year with us. :awful:

reepicheep

Postby reepicheep » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:16 pm

CUNY budget cuts just hit, my entire dept lost all Adjunct/Non Teaching Adjunct hours.

reepicheep

Postby delgriffith » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:54 am

I'm sorry reepicheep :( Sending money from the NYPD budget directly to CUNY would be such a net positive for this city

This deal Corey Johnson and BDB have negotiated is a fucking travesty and a spit in the face to everyone bravely occupying City Hall, everyone who has been marching in the streets this past month, and all the people who called and emailed and did the work to try to see some budget justice.

It is NOT TOO LATE to call your council member (again!) and make sure they know that anything other than a NO vote on this bullshit budget will not stand. You can use the statements from Communities United for Police Reform or the NYCLU if you want to ground yourself in what exactly is lacking/misleading about these "cuts":

Call now because they're supposed to be voting on this abomination in the next few hours. What a joke that so many of them (including my rep, Robert Cornegy) have simply tried to keep their heads down on this. Say what you like about Brad Lander, at least he spent yesterday calling this out for what it is - while Cornegy, Cumbo, Richards and so many others just went radio silent
delgriffith

Postby lightfoot » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:02 am

VOTE PUSHED TO 6 PM

let's go!!!!

lightfoot

Postby lame sayings » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:40 am

this is sick as hell! 8-)

oh sadness rising like wild ducks

lame sayings

Postby hoopdog » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:52 am

that rules

hoopdog
ride.

Postby milano boy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:00 pm

hell ya

milano boy

Postby cool party » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:36 pm

a brief glance at that section says the PA's role in this process is to sign warrants for the City to collect property tax. i like jumaane and anything helps but this does not seem to be a foolproof method to encourage cuts to the NYPD or an equitable plan to tax and spend
cool party

Postby cool party » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:38 pm

in other words the only way he can "prevent the budget from being executed" is by declining to collect revenue... which like... may not even be legal under 10000 other statutes. i doubt any PA has ever interpreted this statute before to mean that. but more power to him i guess
cool party

Postby delgriffith » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:50 pm

Yeah good for Jumaane but they're just going to ignore this and he doesn't really have much power to do what he says he's doing. Also when he was on the council he voted to increase the police budget and headcount in 2015, so...

Meanwhile the Fair Fares (half-priced MetroCards for low income New Yorkers) program, which I worked/volunteered on when I was with Riders Alliance, is completely gutted in this budget. Less than two years ago I watched Corey Johnson get honored at a Riders Alliance gala because he had helped fight to get the program into the city budget. As always, he was very happy to take the adulation. Now he's cutting deals to keep cops on the streets and letting that program, like so many others that make life for working people in this city marginally (but meaningfully) better, die. Fuck him and fuck every council member who votes to pass this thing

Taking a long break now, be good to each other. sympathy you can change the thread title back when this thing passes

Edit at 6pm - just adding this: Laurie Cumbo is as shameless as it gets in Brooklyn politics, an absolutely awful and morally bankrupt person who plainly despises her constituents. I hate the Democratic Party and its gatekeepers in the city, the state, and the nation
delgriffith

Postby cool party » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:09 pm

cool party

Postby milano boy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:33 pm

this budget hearing could not be more infuriating

milano boy

Postby lightfoot » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:17 pm

corey johnson fucking SUCKS!!!!

going to go so hard to try to prevent him from being the mayor

lightfoot

Postby jarsilver » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:55 pm

jarsilver

Postby VHGisdead » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:59 pm

uhhh
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.

VHGisdead

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:57 am

damn that is wild...

in other news, RIP Glady's =(
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby came to wreck » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:53 am

no more china chalet

came to wreck

Postby dookdook » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:20 pm

rip devil

dookdook

Postby mancubz » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:46 pm

Before I moved out of the e.vill this week there were soooo many places on my block that closed forever:
-a nail place that did really cool designs
-a gift store that had been there for over 30 years
-a fancy pizza place

I think there was one more but I can’t temember. Again, this was all on ONE block and in the span of like one week!
Also minca has been closed for months after trying to stay open for takeout, and that really worries me. Sophie’s hasn’t had any movement at all, let alone any attempts to do sidewalk drinks
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

Johan POOPLER wrote: i'd rather live another 50 years with an untouched nutsack than be rent from the platonic embrace of my sweet, beloved bitch.

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby i am rich » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:31 pm

got a couple slices at triangolo for the first time in a while yesterday and the guys working there had no masks or gloves
i mean, im not surprised but

i am rich

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....