Postby screaming emphysema » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:12 pm

I don’t like this

screaming emphysema

Postby easy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:56 pm

horrible

easy
does it

Postby light rail coyote » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:02 pm

now maybe it won't be so bad. afterall, we know that the supreme court is a nonpartisan institution that would never prioritize political expediency over the rule of law or established precedent.

please listen to my legal analysis podcast at slate dot com backslash balls and strikes pod

light rail coyote

Postby joe » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:02 am

matt ford's tnr piece on the court this week linked it, but i had somehow never read about the coverage of the insane clusterfuck of the original aca ruling

https://www.scotusblog.com/2012/07/were-getting-wildly-differing-assessments/

The Supreme Court will not grant SCOTUSblog a press credential.

The White House, fearful that our Live Blog will crash under the load and perhaps unaware that electronic devices are not allowed in that office, has arranged for the lawyer to listen to the proceedings and send email updates every thirty seconds.

Into his conference call, the CNN producer says (correctly) that the Court has held that the individual mandate cannot be sustained under the Commerce Clause, and (incorrectly) that it therefore “looks like” the mandate has been struck down. The control room asks whether they can “go with” it, and after a pause, he says yes.

The Fox producer reads the syllabus exactly the same way, and reports that the mandate has been invalidated. Asked to confirm that the mandate has been struck down, he responds: “100%.”

The Bloomberg team finishes its review, having read the Commerce Clause holding and then turned the page to see that the Court accepted the government’s alternative argument that the individual mandate is constitutional under Congress’s tax power. At 10:07:32 – 52 seconds after the Chief Justice began speaking – Bloomberg issues an alert: “OBAMA’S HEALTH-CARE OVERHAUL UPHELD BY U.S.SUPREME COURT.” Bloomberg is first, and it is right.

Because the Act is important to stock prices, stock traders will have a very rare opportunity to arbitrage the conflicting media reports and the fact that no one outside the Court has the opinion. The market had been betting against the mandate surviving. That would have been bad for hospitals (which would lose revenues) and good for many insurers (which could be more selective in their customers). Now hospital stock prices begin to spike: Hospital Corp. of America, the nation’s largest private hospital chain, quickly rises from $27.38 to $29.35. Many insurance stocks start to tumble: United Health Group falls from $58.69 to $55.73.

joe

Postby joe » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:04 am

In Press Secretary Jay Carney’s office, the communications team has three principal sources of information: monitors showing the cable networks; our conference call on speakerphone; and our Live Blog on the computer.

The announcements on CNN and Fox News in Carney’s office have been the first news of the decision, and both report that the mandate had been invalidated. Although the wire services have already reported the decision correctly, the communications team is not aware of those reports.

the united states government lol

joe

Postby coop » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:15 pm

coop

Postby coop » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:46 pm

coop

Postby draw » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:31 am

Kavanaugh got Covid huh

draw

Postby Bob511 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:45 pm

JUSTICE BREYER: If it's exactly, why don't you ask Mr. Zubaydah? Why doesn't he testify? Why doesn't Mr. Zubaydah -- he was there. Why doesn't he say this is what happened? And -- and they won't deny it, I mean, I don't think, if he's telling the truth.

MR. KLEIN: You're talking about Mitchell or Jessen when you say --

JUSTICE BREYER: No, I'm not. I'm saying the person who was there --

MR. KLEIN: No.

JUSTICE BREYER: -- was -- was -- I don't know if he's your client. Isn't he your client? His name is on this thing.

MR. KLEIN: Abu Zubaydah can't --

JUSTICE BREYER: Yes.

MR. KLEIN: Abu Zubaydah cannot testify.

JUSTICE BREYER: Why not?

MR. KLEIN: He's -- because he is being held incommunicado. He has been held in Guantanamo incommunicado.

JUSTICE BREYER: Why? Why? Does that -- I mean, I'm not sure this relevant, but, I mean, in Hamdi, we said you could hold people in Guantanamo. The words were: Active combat operations against Taliban fighters apparently are going on in Afghanistan. Well, they're not anymore.

MR. KLEIN: Mister -- Justice --

JUSTICE BREYER: So -- so what's the -- why is he there?

MR. KLEIN: That's a question to put to the government. We don't know the answer to that.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: I mean, have you filed a habeas or something, get him out?

MR. KLEIN: There has been a habeas proceeding pending in D.C. for the last 14 years.
Eric Roberts wrote:Hipinion. Hipinion? Hipinion...is hip.

Bob511

Postby Bob511 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:51 pm

I think that's a transcript error and was Breyer questioning the entire time, but
Eric Roberts wrote:Hipinion. Hipinion? Hipinion...is hip.

Bob511

Postby DasLofGang » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:04 pm

Justice Butt-head wrote:Uhh...I mean, have you like, filed a habeas or something, get him out? Huh-huh-huh
it's the suspense that gets me wrote:wandering around the house grunting "UUHHHHHH PUT IT ON MEEEEEHHHH"

DasLofGang

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:42 pm

lol fuck RBG
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby light rail coyote » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:50 pm

well that's certainly a good sign in a supreme court justice

light rail coyote

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:53 pm

It's a real stupid country that deserves to fall apart, when you think about it

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:55 pm

The overlap between Notorious RBG assholes and Cuomosexuals has to be pretty considerable no

I'm sure those people have take a look and seen what's the lesson

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby light rail coyote » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:02 pm

i mean ginsburg had already been on record as saying that and apologized so, no, this won't mean anything.

like i didn't realize that this was a new story because i'd already seen this cycle play out and that didn't come to anything

light rail coyote

Postby auspice » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:04 pm

light rail coyote wrote:i mean ginsberg had already been on record as saying that and apologized so, no, this won't mean anything.

like i didn't realize that this was a new story because i'd already seen this cycle play out and that didn't come to anything

the story isn't that what she said was more racist than it originally sounded, it's that a "top" journalist specifically edited down her language to preserve her reputation. this is more about Couric than it is RBG, who we already know sucked

what originally was preserved in the interview was RBG just saying she thought some protesters were rude, when what she actually said was "Black people should know their place," which a panicked Couric edited out
Last edited by auspice on Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joker wrote:"I'm pooping and peeing and I love it!"

- Poop & Pee Magazine

auspice

Postby laserblast » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:05 pm

Feech La Manna wrote:The overlap between Notorious RBG assholes and Cuomosexuals has to be pretty considerable no

I'm sure those people have take a look and seen what's the lesson

absolutely not, tbqh

RBG types are warrenites

laserblast

Postby shark week » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:16 pm

yah, RBG was lionized in a way that Cuomo never was

absolute liberal darling
Permafrost wrote:The heart wants what the heart wants, and if the heart wants Nebbiolo variants then so be it

shark week

Postby light rail coyote » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:31 pm

light rail coyote

Postby Skerple » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:28 pm

the stuff that did get quoted was almost as bad!

'Would I arrest them for doing it? No,' she told Couric. 'I think it's dumb and disrespectful. I would have the same answer if you asked me about flag burning.

'I think it's a terrible thing to do, but I wouldn't lock a person up for doing it. I would point out how ridiculous it seems to me to do such an act.'

When Couric pushed further asking if she believes athletes are 'within their rights to exercise those actions', Ginsburg replied: 'Yes. If they want to be stupid, there's no law that should be preventive.

'If they want to be arrogant, there's no law that prevents them from that. What I would do is strongly take issue with the point of view that they are expressing when they do that,' she added.
Not Recommended
The Development team made one crucial error. They entered into the game an automatic sentry gun called a "Puckle."

Skerple

Postby Skerple » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:43 pm

I can't imagine what other insane shit she said in the years afterward. and people seem to have known she was already like senile in 2016?
Not Recommended
The Development team made one crucial error. They entered into the game an automatic sentry gun called a "Puckle."

Skerple

Postby razzle » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:53 pm

Damn finally got RBG
At least we have

razzle
ok

Postby pinkerton » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:05 pm

40 years and her most famous opinion was the VMI case.

pinkerton

Postby loaf angel » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:18 pm

razzle wrote:Damn finally got RBG

oh she had the last laugh
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:22 pm

Barthes Starr wrote:

Even overturning Roe v. Wade wouldn't be enough to get Biden to pack the court. Things are so fucked.

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby Feech La Manna » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:42 pm

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby farmer » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:42 pm

oh good

farmer

PreviousNext

Return to The Hat Zone