Official Nintendo Thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby national e-day observer » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:29 pm

i'm still stuck at the green penguins in the beppi fight

national e-day observer

Postby hector doepos » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:43 pm

i been trying to play ff 7 (my first ff). i guess i'm still pretty early- just left midgar and caught a chocobo.

i'm finding the game ugly, the story decent but kind of ridiculous and the battle system boring. i wonder if the ship has sort of sailed on me for this one given i didn't play it as a 13 year old 'in the day'. maybe i would be more of a ff10/12 kind of person.

or is it one of those games where you really gotta commit to it before it 'gets good'?
hector doepos

Postby yungboi » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:06 pm

replaying katamari damacy after years of forgetting about it is amazing and I really want a new one for the switch

yungboi

Postby doublethink0 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:57 pm

hector doepos wrote:i been trying to play ff 7 (my first ff). i guess i'm still pretty early- just left midgar and caught a chocobo.

i'm finding the game ugly, the story decent but kind of ridiculous and the battle system boring. i wonder if the ship has sort of sailed on me for this one given i didn't play it as a 13 year old 'in the day'. maybe i would be more of a ff10/12 kind of person.

or is it one of those games where you really gotta commit to it before it 'gets good'?

yeeeeah, if you aren't that into it after the initial Midgar escape, the combat is boring you and the story seems ridiculous (which goes way more out there), then you might not be onboard for the rest. I love this game but that's a lot to do with coming out of the SNES canon into it as a pre-teen.

still, there is lots more story to do and it'd be cool to hear a fresh perspective not subjective to nostalgia.

doublethink0

Postby hector doepos » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:36 pm

so i think the game is actually starting to become a lot more interesting now that ive left midgar. the world is opening up more and the story pulling me in more. just got to costa del sol... and holy shit the music is good.

EDIT: Wow i just got to the golden saucerToggle Spoiler. I get it now.
hector doepos

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:21 am

This is really interesting to me as a massive fan of the 80s FF games. Tho they mean the world to me, and their role in video game history is obviously well established, I’ve often wondered if they would really resonate with people who don’t have a connection to the original context. BES Mario games, for example, can still be enjoyed by anyone because the design doesn’t show its technological edges and platforming is always relevant. But FF7 is such a time and place game, despite the story being essentially compelling and the gameplay being dense and engaging. Like FF7 is actually riddled with issues, starting with its shitty American translation and relatively simple growth system. But I still think it’s super valuable, and affecting...I can just see how the negatives could feel more prominent to a totally new user.
If you have information that conclusively proves beyond a doubt that Nathan killed Jeffrey Epstein, please DM me.

Beautiful Jugdish

Postby santos l halper » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:51 am

hit a real wall in cuphead with dr. kahl's robot. beppi took me a while, and cala maria even longer, but in both cases i had the sense that i was making continual progress and just needed to practise and get more consistent and it would come together (though in maria's case i felt i was relying on a degree of luck with that petrifying ray she fires). but with the robot i'm not really seeing any progress - i basically still almost always die in the first stage, and i'm not getting perceptibly more consistent with it. maybe i need to play on the tv with the pro controller, but maybe my dexterity and coordination is just not up to it...

santos l halper

Postby Kenny » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:34 am

A Dark Room has been taken off the Nintendo eShop because the Dev announced publicly that he had put a ruby code editor on it as an easter egg. So like he built a way to hack your switch. What a maroon!!

Sucks because I thought it was totally an interesting idea to put that on the Switch and was going to buy it when I didn't have a stupid big backlog. I hope they let him edit it out and republish but seems like a great way to never do business with Nintendo again
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] (stay posi)

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Gutslab » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:51 am

My imaginery son likes botw but didn't really get into it. He's 11 now and is more interested in shit like gta. Feels kinda like bad parenting on my part but then again, I was around the same age when I had my first gta experience (although my mum didn't know) and I turned out fine.

Gutslab

Postby Kenny » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:27 pm

If I was gonna play a Disgaea game on the Switch should I get 1 or 5?

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby feaxfang » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:35 pm

Need some nindie recos. I've been through Machinarium and The Way twice now.

feaxfang

Postby meeshpotato » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:00 pm

Kenny wrote:If I was gonna play a Disgaea game on the Switch should I get 1 or 5?

i haven't played 1 but i think the consensus is just jump into 5 because it plays way better, unless you are a story person. 1 is supposed to have a way better story. 5's is dumb

meeshpotato

Postby brent » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:13 pm

feaxfang wrote:Need some nindie recos. I've been through Machinarium and The Way twice now.

golf story, hollow knight and hyper light drifter have been my favorites...
anyone picking up ffxii tomorrow? i think i’m gonna hold off until it goes on sale

brent

Postby feaxfang » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:20 pm

brent wrote:
feaxfang wrote:Need some nindie recos. I've been through Machinarium and The Way twice now.

golf story, hollow knight and hyper light drifter have been my favorites...
anyone picking up ffxii tomorrow? i think i’m gonna hold off until it goes on sale

Thanks. Have both GS and HK but no HLD.

feaxfang

Postby sevenarts » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:37 pm

Hyper Light Drifter is amazing. Such a gorgeous game.

I’ve started playing through Dead Cells and having a blast with it.

sevenarts

Postby Clive » Wed May 01, 2019 7:20 am

Finally got a damn pro controller. Not sure what took me so long. Did fine through most of HK, but I'm not doing anything else until I get through this first level of cuphead with all the coins, which is taking me forever. Still experimenting with different button configs and nothing is really feeling perfect yet. Also, do you guys assign shoot to like the left trigger and just keep it on all the time? Seems to be working for me.

Clive

Postby ashtrayheart » Wed May 01, 2019 8:44 am

i think i realized today i’ll prob never get smash bros. too many characters. the joker???

ashtrayheart

Postby Kenny » Wed May 01, 2019 8:54 am

I've never played a Smash Bros. before but playing long enough to unlock all the characters and play the World of Light part of the game made it worth it to me. I won't say I actually love it but I'm definitely fond of it now

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby tgk » Wed May 01, 2019 9:30 am

Clive wrote:Finally got a damn pro controller. Not sure what took me so long. Did fine through most of HK, but I'm not doing anything else until I get through this first level of cuphead with all the coins, which is taking me forever. Still experimenting with different button configs and nothing is really feeling perfect yet. Also, do you guys assign shoot to like the left trigger and just keep it on all the time? Seems to be working for me.

I make it whatever the button next to jump is and hold it down constantly, basically the same configuration for run/jump in mario

tgk

Postby meeshpotato » Wed May 01, 2019 1:18 pm

i made R shoot

ordered dragon's dogma

meeshpotato

Postby a-10 warthog champion » Wed May 01, 2019 1:21 pm

meeshpotato wrote:
Kenny wrote:If I was gonna play a Disgaea game on the Switch should I get 1 or 5?

i haven't played 1 but i think the consensus is just jump into 5 because it plays way better, unless you are a story person. 1 is supposed to have a way better story. 5's is dumb

all disgaea stories are dumb

disgaea's are iterative, always go for the latest one.

only reason to start with 1 is to get a feel for the engine/base mechanics because they later one's have systems upon systems upon systems, but i'd still start w/ 5. they aren't games you need to master, they're games you fuck around with and figure out different ways to break.
who we are- laid back, eco-conscious, informal, off the cuff, good music, no bullshit...

a-10 warthog champion

Postby xxx-xxx-xxxx » Wed May 01, 2019 3:15 pm

finally bit the bullet and bought the Darius Collection from Play Asia. Hoping shipping doesn't take like 3 months
Award winning author of threads about Ziggy using Preparation H™ as toothpaste, and Jay Leno being burned alive in his car

xxx-xxx-xxxx

Postby bam » Wed May 01, 2019 5:01 pm

sevenarts wrote:Hyper Light Drifter is amazing. Such a gorgeous game.

yeah this was great and such a perfect size and length. really enjoyed seeking out all the gearboxes and mods near the end as well :geek:

bam

Postby gordie blue eyes » Wed May 01, 2019 7:00 pm

steamworld quest is my first steamworld game and i'm pretty much in love over here

gordie blue eyes
Reclining in the sky on a cloud with silver lining

Postby gordie blue eyes » Wed May 01, 2019 7:00 pm

everybody should buy it imo

gordie blue eyes
Reclining in the sky on a cloud with silver lining

Postby mellowgold » Wed May 01, 2019 8:34 pm

I want Mario’s time machine
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby mellowgold » Wed May 01, 2019 8:35 pm

And princess tomato in the salad kingdom
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby shirts optional » Wed May 01, 2019 9:15 pm

God, Steamworld Quest owns so much

The Twins do crazy damage if you build their deck right

shirts optional

Postby Kenny » Thu May 02, 2019 3:51 am

The reviews I've read say it's a very standard plot and the card mechanics aren't as good as other games but the aesthetics are great and the aesthetics are what I'm a little burned out on so I'm definitely going to wait for a sale

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby shirts optional » Fri May 03, 2019 5:40 pm

finally beat quest

the final stages and the coliseum are legit hard on regular difficulty. thinking about re-playing it on hard and changing up my tactics

shirts optional

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley