Official Nintendo Thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby pzadvance » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:25 am

boddy wrote:wish they'd port over vi. i'd love to play it handheld, ideally not on my dang phone

xii looks and plays great but it's a wholly charmless game without a single memorable character, location or plot point. kinda the opposite of x

Exactly how i felt, sunk a dozen hours in to xii and can’t imagine returning. Having way more fun with X

pzadvance

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:44 am

doesn't 12 have the hot rabbit?
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:45 am

iirc my ex played that one and i kept hearing the word "marquis" pronounced wrong in it
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:11 pm

Marquis is pronounced "mar-kwiss" in the UK. Not like they are pronouncing the French word wrong (even tho they are), but they have their own in the English nobility (spelled Marquess) and they are the Mar-kwiss of Fancybottomsham

I don't like it
Last edited by Kenny on Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] (stay posi)

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby ruiner » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:12 pm

yeah i recall ffxii being kind of a charmless slog

i got the switch version as a christmas gift two years ago and never opened it, returned it and used the credit for mario odyssey

no regrets
hack the planet

ruiner

Postby deadbass » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:43 pm

XII is tied for my favourite Final Fantasy (with FF6) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

deadbass

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:53 pm

hm maybe i'll hold off. there's plenty of stuff like Celeste that I'm pretty sure I'll dig but just wanna wait til a sale. though this was xmas gift money so maybe better to just spend it before we're halfway to next xmas again lol

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:53 pm

ha now i dont know what to believe!

maybe the hot rabbit is enough to push me over

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:54 pm

Well this was entirely contradictory and unhelpful. Haha.

Can you all agree that 9 is good?

That Demon Life

Postby Seamus » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:55 pm

can't imagine playing final fantasy and not being 15
Thanks, admin.

Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

monkey d stiltzkin wrote:pure poppycock from Seamus yet again

Seamus

Postby coma kid » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:05 pm

9 is great. 8 is good. 12 is great.

coma kid

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:13 pm

9 is a real good game but I think all the PSX Final Fantasy's are real good games, I would probably say it is my least favourite of the PSX games tho because 8 tried and failed and 9 feels sort of like a retreat to safety/wasn't very DEEP and the music is especially kind of boring except for 2 or 3 real stand outs (The first overworld music is great)

That said Vivi is the best FF character. I dunno

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby deadbass » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:15 pm

I mean, every Final Fantasy is it's own thing, but FFXII follows that more than most. The gameplay is more of an MMO/Xenoblade style of real-time combat that isn't for everyone. If you get into the gambit system, which lets you program your party's actions (so they'll like automatically buff before each fight, will heal each other when health drops below 30%) it can be really satisfying. The remaster adds a fast forward button that really helps make the combat more satisfying because it lets your little programs play out more quickly.

It's more of a political game than most FF's, and the cast is more subdued than your usual Final Fantasy. A lot of people hate the protagonist, Vaan, but I find him pretty inoffensive and useful as a vantage point for the more interesting personalities (Ashe, Balthier, Basch, etc.). I find the plot a slow but interesting burn, but it's almost certainly the case that the script was cut in the latter half and probably changed when the director (Yasumi Matsuno) left. Even people who love the game often ding the plot and characters, but I personally think both are pretty much perfect. Lots of memorable areas and encounters. The music is incredible, but its much more symphonic than melodic, so that turns people off too. The voice acting is probably the best in the medium.

I dunno, Yasumi Matsuno's games (Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story) have a really specific type of medieval flavour, political-yet-JRPG style that I absolutely love, so Final Fantasy XII is just heaven for me. The game got a bad rap when it first came out, but the remaster has really turned around its reputation. If I'm being honest, this page is more negative than I think you'd usually see for the game these days. That doesn't mean you will or won't like it. I think if you like slow burn, political storytelling and you enjoy preparing for battles more than actually micro-managing, you might really love it.

deadbass

Postby Pokemon Blue » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:22 pm

deadbass wrote:XII is tied for my favourite Final Fantasy (with FF6) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hell yeah, co-sign

Pokemon Blue

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:26 pm

Is Yoshimbo or whatever his name is worth all my money in ffx?

That Demon Life

Postby cooly » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:27 pm

9 is incredible. in 8 the junction mechanic is so annoying i basically forced myself to finish it out of principle. 8 has a decent / fun story though, although i think many think it is convoluted
can wrote:old lady [whispering]

cooly

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:32 pm

Things are getting odd on twitter

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:08 pm

Lolwut

That Demon Life

Postby yungboi » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:11 pm

Kenny wrote:Things are getting odd on twitter

ahhhhhhhhhh

yungboi

Postby Locke » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:42 pm

is there like a list of things service celebrities can subscribe to that have a chance to go viral and then they just make a benefit analysis or what

Locke

Postby pinkerton » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:05 pm

Snap not having a demo (that I saw when I checked yesterday at least) has me a little worried. That’s a lot of money to risk on a game for children.

pinkerton

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:06 pm

pinkerton wrote:Snap not having a demo (that I saw when I checked yesterday at least) has me a little worried. That’s a lot of money to risk on a game for children.

I'd just wait a little bit and see what people say.

That Demon Life

Postby Seamus » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:12 pm

Same, I don't want to make a snap decision
Thanks, admin.

Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

monkey d stiltzkin wrote:pure poppycock from Seamus yet again

Seamus

Postby deadbass » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:12 pm

I played a few levels of Pokemon Snap last night and this morning. I absolutely love it, but I used to replay the original every few years. It's a pretty big improvement in a lot of ways, but it's still fundamentally the same game so far. If you like the original, I don't think you'd be disappointed if you go in expecting a polished version of that with more content.

deadbass

Postby tgk » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:16 pm

This is one of those games where I have no idea if my kid will either hate it or want to get every single capture. Maybe I'll get it physical so i can trade it in later

tgk

Postby dusky » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:40 pm

bluemovers wrote:9 is great. 8 is good. 12 is great.

and 10 is good

dusky

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:49 pm

I think the battle system in 10 is my favorite of the ones I've played (which is really just 6/7 because I only vaguely remember 8). It also looks surprisingly great for a game that's 20 years old.

Just got to the Ronso mountain area and after about an hour or so of getting used to the dumb way you move around (basically with no camera, so the "3D" is kinda bullshit), I've really loved it.

That Demon Life

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:06 pm

i honestly think the most fun i had was with FF1. i think i like a little more control over my dudes than some of the other games give me. like with ff6 i'm nearing the end and i loved a lot of it but sometimes felt like there was just a story that i was moving the pieces along for, rather than really moving around the world with much agency. but then i'm an idiot so who knows.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby scurrydog » Sat May 01, 2021 7:38 am

Why can’t I play the snes final fantasy games on my switch yet?
love you guys!

scurrydog
ok

Postby xxx-xxx-xxxx » Sat May 01, 2021 8:58 am

scurrydog wrote:Why can’t I play the snes final fantasy games on my switch yet?

square wants to put them in a collection and charge $49.95 for them im sure
Award winning author of threads about Ziggy using Preparation H™ as toothpaste, and Jay Leno being burned alive in his car

xxx-xxx-xxxx

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley