My dad mapped out all 8 N-Spade screens from SMB 3 by hand
try the data then reply
Architecture
ok

Postby umryan. » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:44 pm

yeah arch give us that book!
umryan.

Postby bluemovers » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:45 pm

one of the great tragedies of my life is that my parents and grandparents failed to maintain my mountain of drawings from 1983 - 1998. in addition to many designs for imagined pairs of Nike Air Jordans (and Agassi's), there were probably 100s of aborted "game designs."

miraculously, a friend of mine from elementary school through grad school recently told me he found a poster board with our design for Little Nemo 2 for NES. i've asked him to send it to me for scanning.
bluemovers

Postby Architecture » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:54 pm

I vividly recall forcing my mom to take me to Toys R Us so I could gawk at the Sega Saturn, which I was convinced was the system to own in the summer of 1996. Of course, Nintendo had other plans.

I was greeted by a row of demo kiosks, prominently displayed at the front of the store (separate from TRU's wall of Xeroxed NES boxes and corresponding paper slips), all of them featuring a Nintendo 64 replete with Super Mario 64. My brain nearly melted.

My mind was quickly changed and we ended up pre-ordering the 64 that very night. I got a very cool SM64 t-shirt and an N64-branded duffle bag.
try the data then reply
Architecture
ok

Postby bunejug » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:58 pm

i'm not a gamer but these bluemovers posts are warming my heart
bunejug

Postby Chyet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:02 pm

i remember when I got my N64 the game I picked was Blast Corps because I wanted to kill some 64-bit zombies.
I learned a new word and gained a broader faith in Rare Ltd that day.
broke/ad astra per alia porci/harken' up, cowards
Chyet

Postby Chyet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:02 pm

2x :barney:
Chyet

Postby i push miracle whips » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:17 pm

i dug out my gba sp out of storage and ordered a copy of metroid ii and am enjoying it a lot more than i ever did when i played it on emulator. it just looks ugly/weird when stretched out like that. idk. great game.

i'm honestly convinced link between worlds is the best zelda game ever made. the only slight i have against it is that it isnt as aesthetically pleasing as links awakening/majoras mask/wind waker.
Sure, fans of Kyaru Pamyu Pamyu might all be crypto-pedophile. At least, This was how I felt for the longest time until I started creating music and realizing I'm in control of everything I desire and all my actions.
i push miracle whips
ok

Postby hbb » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:19 pm

A little bit of Tomodachi makes every day of my life better
hbb

Postby bluemovers » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:25 pm

the local video/game rental place (D&J Video Junction!) somehow managed to get a Japanese import of the N64 system well before it was available stateside. by this time i'd been working for a couple of years and saving up some scratch, so the $15/night rental + $5 for the Japanese Mario 64 import was no problem. i'll never forget sitting there in my basement with my friends and powering it up for the first time...it may actually be my most transcendent video game experience. of course we couldn't read any of the text but it barely mattered. we were playing it before most folks in the country and we were a bunch of 15 year olds with a summer to burn.
bluemovers

Postby Secret Kastle » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:28 pm

If I could pinpoint the happiest moment of my life thus far, Christmas 1986 would definitely be in the running. The profanity hurled by my father as he futilely tried to set up R.O.B was a thing of household legend.
Secret Kastle

Postby bluemovers » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:45 pm

this also reminds me that a few years prior, that same video place had a copy of a game they were touting as "Baby Mario," which we rented immediately despite the strange packaging. it was also in Japanese, didn't seem related to Mario at all, but was still awesome. turns out it was "Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa," which i only discovered a few years ago.
bluemovers

Postby Secret Kastle » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:50 pm

So your NES could play Famicom games?
Secret Kastle

Postby bluemovers » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:52 pm

no, i think it either had some weird adapter attachment or it was released by some shady company on a US-compatible cartridge. the packaging was super weird, but that's about all i can remember. that and eating through cake.
bluemovers

Postby bluemovers » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:54 pm

here we go:

Sometime in the late '80s to early '90s, Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa was available as a cartridge for the Nintendo Entertainment System with the name Baby Mario in the United States. This version had alternate label artwork and in-game title screen to reflect the Baby Mario name, but otherwise was the same game as the Famicom version of Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa.
bluemovers

Postby bluemovers » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:55 pm

omg i think this is exactly what we rented:

bluemovers

Postby Secret Kastle » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:07 pm

bluemovers wrote:omg i think this is exactly what we rented:

Ha.. so basically it's a Famicom cart shoddily fastened to an adapter. Hilarious.
Secret Kastle

Postby miss black america » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:23 pm

i never went off nintendo, even when i mainly played the xbox 360 and ps3, but it's bizarre how completely into them i've become over the past two years

3ds is probably my most played console of all time at this point with way too many games approaching the 200 hour mark

i mean one game for 200 hours is too much but i've done it with 3 and will do it again when monster hunter 4 comes out
hahaha mad me chuckle that
miss black america

Postby umryan. » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:34 pm

any hipinon bro wanna sell and ship me their 3ds fire emblem? Wanna see what the fuss is all about.
umryan.

Postby Kevin McCallister » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:58 pm

Architecture wrote:I would suggest that anyone who owned console hardware between 1985 and 1996 read that new Blake Harris book, Console Wars

I can probably upload the audiobook MP3 tonight if anyone wants it

Yes, please. :)

I remember August 1996 going to Seattle with my family. My dad brought me to the Nintendo HQ, they had a room dedicated to testing out the N64. Like, I had no idea that would even be a possibility. I thought myself and the other 25 kids there were one of the first in North America to play the N64 months before it came out. Needless to say that SM64 blew my mind and I couldn't figure out Pilotwings.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby hologram » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:02 pm

have this old nes art mario zelda toy box/crate thats probably worth something if i didnt stain it, but that just added character. im gonna take a pic
hologram
acid casualty

Postby Chyet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:04 pm

the NES could play japanese games, the localization was the shape of the cartridge
Chyet

Postby Petty » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:06 pm

My 3DS is my favorite purchase in years, I love it.

It's amazing how much of my life has been effected by Nintendo. Gotta get effected by something I guess.
Fuck being hard, Petty is complicated. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

╰( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )つ──☆*:・゚Started from the bottom (US) now we're here (UK)

NOTICE: I do not own, nor am I owned. Stop trying to drag me into your FUCKED UP hegemony ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿
Petty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby Chyet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:08 pm

does the 3D get really old? The 2DS is tempting. Honestly, I want the WiiU more than I wanted my PS4, but the Wii U is way way too expensive right now
Chyet

Postby Petty » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:12 pm

My family was the poor relations in the family tree and although we had an NES at home, my cousins had a A-frame cabin in Big Bear where they left a Nintendo all year round and when we would go up for Christmastime was the only time I got to play Castlevania or Super Off-Road because we didn't have them at my house.

It was up top in the main bedroom in a tv they also left there and we would sit on the floor all Christmas long playing them.

One year we went up there and my cousin Chris showed us the Nintendo 64 which I don't even remember having heard of before and he showed us Super Mario 64 and the graphics blew my mind. And the game was so fun, it was so cool to just jump three times in a row and get the big jump.

I can remember the feel of being in that cabin playing Castlevania and the way it sounded in the room and how it was a treat because we never played it anywhere else

NOTICE: I do not own, nor am I owned. Stop trying to drag me into your FUCKED UP hegemony ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿
Petty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby Petty » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:14 pm

Chyet wrote:does the 3D get really old? The 2DS is tempting. Honestly, I want the WiiU more than I wanted my PS4, but the Wii U is way way too expensive right now

I like the 3D but a lot of people don't, but you can make a setting where it's permanently off. Don't get a 2DS I hear they are uncomfortable and a 3DS XL screen is so lush

Petty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby hologram » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:15 pm

Nintendo should be humble and set their consoles at 200 and portables at 100 so all the kids can have a shot at the happiness that soaked up my childhood

Also so I can shred them apart at Mario kart 8
hologram
acid casualty

Postby Secret Kastle » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:20 pm

Chyet wrote:the NES could play japanese games, the localization was the shape of the cartridge

'Not true. It was actually the pins. You're thinking of the SNES.
Secret Kastle

Postby Petty » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:21 pm

Same thing with the Genesis/Japanese Mega Drive

Petty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby Chyet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:26 pm

Secret Kastle wrote:
Chyet wrote:the NES could play japanese games, the localization was the shape of the cartridge

'Not true. It was actually the pins. You're thinking of the SNES.

oh crap, i was. still, if it had been true it would have been very useful

edit: and thanks petty, screen lushness counts for a lot when I'm planning on playing Mario, Yoshi, and Harvest Moon.

I can't think of why I'm not trading in my PS4 right now atm besides that I've paid for PSN already
Last edited by Chyet on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chyet

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....