Official Nintendo Thread: Definitive Edition (Oh Snap!)

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:25 pm

i know i'm late but been playing golf story in between botw sessions

and uh this game rules extremely hard

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby came to wreck » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:34 pm

wish there will someday be a golf story 2

came to wreck

Postby nautical hyperblast » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:34 pm

Kenny wrote:http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/square_enix_has_just_filed_a_trademark_for_collection_of_mana_in_europe

Crazy news, Secret of Mana 2 may be coming out in English for the first time

oh fuck.
#1 is my favorite rpg of all time.

nautical hyperblast

Postby brent » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:50 pm

golf story is balmy as hell i loved it

brent

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:54 pm

i'm still skeptical that the SD collection is coming to the west but if it is i will be more hype for that than anything

just replayed SoM last year and for all its manifold flaws it is just the most beautiful fucking game

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby Dead_Wizard » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:55 pm

Slay the Spire is finally coming out next week !

Is there any eta on those D&D titles? I would love to play Planescape Torment again.

Dead_Wizard

Postby folkface » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:57 pm

lol I've been playing the new toejam & earl

folkface

Postby yungboi » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:30 am

Dead_Wizard wrote:Is there any eta on those D&D titles? I would love to play Planescape Torment again.

BG/BG2/Planescape come out September 27th, Neverwinter Nights on December 6th. I wonder if the switch will get BG3 whenever it gets announced?

edit: here's the link too, physical release which is pretty sweet! http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/05/baldurs_gate_neverwinter_nights_and_more_dandd_classics_coming_to_switch
Last edited by yungboi on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

yungboi

Postby warmjets » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:31 am

guess i need to fire up my snes classic and play Secret of Mana. never played before

warmjets

Postby ashtrayheart » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:46 am

which reminds me, the secret of mana remake they released recently is one of the worst pieces of shit ever made, and its amazing how badly they fucked it up. beyond the incredibly poor art redesign and misguidedly rearranged soundtrack, the fucking thing had no screen adjustment, so my characters health bars were more or less a mystery to me. and the added story elements, jesus. i think with some of these old games, between technical limitations and poor translation you would get this muted effect on the dialogue that kind of lent each game an unintentional element of mystery that should stay mysterious.

ashtrayheart

Postby Viz » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:49 am

Probably talked about it earlier, but SNES Secret of Mana is a difficult, frustrating game even by SNES standards.

Characters can get stuck in awkward positions where an enemy can just kill them easily. Overall, it's pretty hard to level up to a point where you don't get killed easily and healing potions are expensive where getting gold is also hard.

There's levels where you can damage just by touching the wall, so it's a cycle of getting hit by arrows, bouncing into a wall for more damage and then getting stuck where you get hit by more arrows.

I really wanted to like this game.
Viz

Postby Kenny » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:49 am

SoM on the SNES is beautiful and has one of the best soundtracks on the system, but I do want to give some caveats to anybody playing it the first time:

1) It is still an RPG in that you have to grind, even if it's an action RPG (especially grind magic by literally casting it over and over)
2) Don't be afraid to look up where to go if you have no idea, sometimes the game just drops explaining what to do next
3) The AI path finding can be reallllllly bad
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Fuck being hard, Petty is complicated. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby ashtrayheart » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:36 am

yeah plenty wrong with both som and it’s sequel in gameplay/mechanics. totally get why people don’t like those games. but it has loads of charm in its graphic design, world building, sound track etc and if you are into its particular aesthetic you’ll put up with the choppy gameplay and it will be a great load of fun.

ashtrayheart

Postby deadbass » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:34 pm

Secret of Mana was developed for the SNES/Sony disc expansion thing and when that fell through they had to cut out like 40% of the game, which is why it's a glitchy incomplete mess. Then when they translated it into English, there was no room on the cart for the full English script so they cut out like a further 40% of the dialogue (and Ted Woolsey did the whole thing in less than a week or something). It's kind of insane that it has been such an enduring classic.

deadbass

Postby deadbass » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:35 pm

dan wrote:Timespinner is extremely unremarkable and literally the only thing you do with the time traveling mechanic is cut down some bushes in the past so they aren't there 2000 years later.
Still not an awful game but I kept waiting for it to have something interesting enter the equation and it never did. I had fun with it to an extent I just think it squandered the time travel concept and it's filled with a bunch of "Kill 10 Bats and bring me their wings" quests.

dan did you like Iconoclasts? Should I get it? You are the metroidvania guru.

deadbass

Postby Kenny » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:38 pm

In case it isn't clear I am an absolute Secret of Mana stan

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby brent » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:41 pm

i loved secret of evermore but never liked secret of mana

brent

Postby internethandle » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:56 pm

loved secret of mana but i was 10 or something

my fondness was definitely bolstered by the 2 player option and playing/beating it with my childhood best friend, though, which was a rare detente between two competitive JRPG nerds

internethandle
ok

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:14 pm

yeah yeah SoM is frustrating but have u considered:

we go together like Girl and Sprite
Gigas Sword
and Rabite
we go together like Chess and Knight
we belong together

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby Viz » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:16 pm

deadbass wrote:Secret of Mana was developed for the SNES/Sony disc expansion thing and when that fell through they had to cut out like 40% of the game, which is why it's a glitchy incomplete mess. Then when they translated it into English, there was no room on the cart for the full English script so they cut out like a further 40% of the dialogue (and Ted Woolsey did the whole thing in less than a week or something). It's kind of insane that it has been such an enduring classic.

Wow. This makes sense.

I do appreciate the graphics and I liked what I saw from the story and music, but man, so frustrating to just have to run through the stages with two ghosts trailing behind me.
Viz

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:18 pm

the retronauts on secret of mana is probably the most interesting ep i can think off of the top of my head, they go into the development craziness in depth. worth a listen

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby figaro » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:18 pm

has there been any good rumors/leaks about what to expect from the direct on the 8th yet?

i'm thirsty

figaro

Postby dan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:34 pm

deadbass wrote:
dan wrote:Timespinner is extremely unremarkable and literally the only thing you do with the time traveling mechanic is cut down some bushes in the past so they aren't there 2000 years later.
Still not an awful game but I kept waiting for it to have something interesting enter the equation and it never did. I had fun with it to an extent I just think it squandered the time travel concept and it's filled with a bunch of "Kill 10 Bats and bring me their wings" quests.

dan did you like Iconoclasts? Should I get it? You are the metroidvania guru.

posted about it months back, personally not a particularly big fan but it clicked for plenty of people so ymmv

dan wrote:Iconoclasts seems good at first, for maybe like the first 45 minutes, but you quickly realize it's not all there. It looks, sounds, and controls great but as you progress through the game you realize every single collectable and upgrade is completely pointless, negating a lot of the drive you would normally feel when looking for upgrades in a metroidvania. These are possibly the most pathetic upgrades I've ever seen in a game, like, spin your useless wrench for half a second longer rather than...wait a second for it to cooldown and start again. They're just worthless and the only thing you can hunt around the map for are the chunks of metal that let you buy these worthless upgrades (maybe there's a little bit of health to hunt for which is good, I already forget). You get like 2 new weapons and abilities but you are pretty much strictly using them for puzzle solving.

Compared to other games in the genre you're much more focused on puzzle solving, clearing rooms and progressing forward is almost always based on completing a little block sliding or switch flipping puzzle. There's a tiny bit of thinking required for about a quarter of them, but the rest are so straightforward that it just feels like a time waster to me since you aren't really solving a puzzle, or are up against threatening enemies, or doing any real platforming.

It has a fairly neat world, but because of the worthless collectables you lose any of the desire you'd normally have to backtrack and use new abilities to uncover stuff. I did it for awhile because I absolutely love hunting for stuff but even I eventually just said nuts to this and started trying to beat the game as quick as possible.

And the last problem I have with the game is the story. Metroidvanias are not known for having much in the way of story, and even less for having long, dialogue-heavy scripts. Iconoclasts has plenty of script. As things went on I began wondering if it might actually have more story than every other Metroidvania combined (it really might). There's like, 10 hours of cutscenes. I'm not against heavy story in a game, and I was even excited at first to see how a metroidvania would go with it as such a central part of the game. But it just begins to grind you down with how often it pauses everything for an endless cutscene telling your standard jrpg/anime narrative about the world crumbling apart and how there's some super evil faction ruling over everyone. You can skip the cutscenes, so maybe I'm being a curmudgeon and just looking for stuff to rag on but just like...maybe focus more on the core gameplay being good and less on how you're gonna write serious bro whining about protecting his sister for millionth time.

The bosses are pretty good, made better by how nice the controls and shooting feel.

That's about it, it's not a horrible game, but it's probably gonna be on the lower end of metroidvanias for me. Maybe still worth giving a go for like $2.50 in a steam sale, but I certainly would not pay full price for it.

I'll have my indievania post in the next two weeks, just finished Gato Roboto (which was fun enough for 2 hours) and at this point there's not much left other than checking back at a few old things that I don't remember.
Last edited by dan on Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dan

Postby techno beats » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:37 pm

Cadence of Hyrule will probably get shadow dropped during it which will be super dope

Other than that the rumor mill has been pretty quiet! I’m guessing that a lot of time will be spent fleshing out titles that have been announced but not really detailed. So, Animal Crossing, Luigi’s Mansion, Links Awakening.

Personally give me anything with Wario and I’m set

techno beats

Postby brent » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:56 pm

please any kind of metroid news, 4 or trilogy

brent

Postby figaro » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:58 pm

wouldn't count on anything about the new metroid with the whole getting rebooted thing a few months back

would love a prime trilogy release for sure tho

figaro

Postby Kenny » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:12 pm

Animal Crossing info
Shin Megami Tensei V info
BOTW sequel

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby deadbass » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:34 pm

thanks dan, started playing gato roboto last night and found it quite charming and fun.

deadbass

Postby shirts optional » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:21 pm

If we are talking Metroidvanias I picked up axiom verge despite some initial reluctance but I’m really enjoying it

I actually bought it over Iconoclasts, so good call on my part

My surprise E3 prediction is a new F-Zero

shirts optional

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:56 pm

tone sincere: as a fellow enthusiast, i am eagerly anticipating dan's MV post. the hpn event of summer 2019

struttin' evil mushroom

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....