Injustice/protests/aftermath EVERYWHERE ╭( ✖_✖ )╮

Humans in space suits make monkeys nervous

Postby dubs » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:39 pm

but yes the robot thing even at the time several years ago people were kind :? about the tactic but he fucked with cops so obviously he deserved to be executed on site without a trial. /proceeds to lick boots

dubs

Postby internethandle » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:44 pm

virtuous wrote:You’re pathetic.

see what i mean?

internethandle
ok

Postby ill sinner » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:06 pm

internethandle wrote:
virtuous wrote:You’re pathetic.

see what i mean?

he’s right. the way white liberals police poc about guns online is really pathetic. meanwhile a lot of my black friends are encouragingly reposting stuff like this: https://www.blackenterprise.com/armed-black-militia-group-marches-through-georgia-confederate-park-on-july-4/

why can’t people understand that their identity might play a huge part in how they feel about this issue! if your life was under threat every time you left your apartment, from cops and white supremacists, you might feel differently about the need to arm yourself. you see guns as a display of disgusting useless violence, but people are already experiencing that violence every day just for existing as a poc. it’s not some intangible shit you see on the news.
Last edited by ill sinner on Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ill sinner

Postby farmer » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:07 pm

sinner if you place url tags on that link it wont break
farmer

Postby Patchouli Jim » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:13 pm

What is this robot event you are referencing ?
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Patchouli Jim

Postby internethandle » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:15 pm

i agree that that phenomenon (white #resist-style liberals shouting down poc re: arming themselves) is both very real and awful, and think that individuals in marginalized communities choosing to arm themselves is a reasonable response that majority white spaces in particular should not have any input in

internethandle
ok

Postby internethandle » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:22 pm

Spooky Jim wrote:What is this robot event you are referencing ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_shooting_of_Dallas_police_officers

seems awful that this is now known as the above, but at the same time of course

internethandle
ok

Postby internethandle » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:25 pm

i remember when it happened that the media virtually just ignored completely that they incinerated this guy

Remotec ANDROS Mark V-A1

we live in hell, as bingo says

internethandle
ok

Postby Big Oil » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:34 pm

so is a thread for firearm discussion allowed or not?

Big Oil

Postby manvstrees » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:35 pm

that's not gonna be a good thread
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.

manvstrees

Postby landspeedrecord » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:37 pm

it’s a discussion that should be held in member’s, for obvious reasons
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby dubs » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:39 pm

2020: Hpn Goes Militant

dubs

Postby dubs » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:39 pm

Quite the turn from the joanna newsom discussions during my college days back in '08-'12

dubs

Postby Annie May » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:43 pm

I'm pretty sure we had a thread about it
enforced farming is really not a vibe

Annie May

Postby Chyet » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:48 pm

This comes up sometimes

Obv would go to members

I'd support it
i'd rather be sippin natty than be in cincinnati

Chyet

Postby palmer eldritch » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:04 pm

Big Oil wrote:so is a thread for firearm discussion allowed or not?

no

palmer eldritch

Postby Bob511 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:16 pm

Big Oil wrote:this man is a wall holy shit

"I knew I was never going to react. I was never going to fight back," he said. "I'm a little too old to be beaten by a bunch of young guys."

David, 53,
Eric Roberts wrote:Hipinion. Hipinion? Hipinion...is hip.

Bob511

Postby viachicago » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:20 pm

viachicago

Postby came to wreck » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:08 am

Chyet wrote:
Obv would go to members

I'd support it

came to wreck

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:38 pm

we all knew it was coming, but even still... not good

Homeland Security making plans to deploy some 150 agents in Chicago this week, with scope of duty unknown

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/criminal-justice/ct-chicago-police-dhs-deployment-20200720-dftu5ychwbcxtg4ltarh5qnwma-story.html

landspeedrecord

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:39 pm

if you're in chicago, be careful tonight

and get as many bodies onto the streets as possible

landspeedrecord

Postby Hm I Dunno » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:41 pm

goddamnit this is a real shit timeline

fuck this

Hm I Dunno

Postby Hm I Dunno » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:42 pm

federal officers shit should be an alarm for literally everyone and basically 90% of the country doesn't give a shit

Hm I Dunno

Postby light rail coyote » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:45 pm

this just shows how important is it to vote for democrats

light rail coyote

Postby light rail coyote » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:49 pm

but seriously, while this is definitely an escalation, an escalation has to build on something and that something is the fact that chicago has operated all kinds of fusion centers with the willing complicity of local officials and nathan is right that this is a really, really bad sign because this is the kind of thing that's going to outlast trump and only get worse.

light rail coyote

Postby quinine » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:28 pm

landspeedrecord wrote:we all knew it was coming, but even still... not good

Homeland Security making plans to deploy some 150 agents in Chicago this week, with scope of duty unknown

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/criminal-justice/ct-chicago-police-dhs-deployment-20200720-dftu5ychwbcxtg4ltarh5qnwma-story.html

Code: Select all

By GREGORY PRATT and JEREMY GORNER
CHICAGO TRIBUNE
JUL 20, 2020 AT 10:53 AM

Federal agents use crowd control munitions to disperse Black Lives Matter protesters at the Mark O. Hatfield United States Courthouse on July 20, 2020, in Portland, Ore. (Noah Berger / AP)
1 / 16
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is crafting plans to deploy about 150 federal agents to Chicago this week, the Chicago Tribune has learned, a move that would come amid growing controversy nationally about federal force being used in American cities.
The Homeland Security Investigations, or HSI, agents are set to assist other federal law enforcement and Chicago police in crime-fighting efforts, according to sources familiar with the matter, though a specific plan on what the agents will be doing had not been made public.
ADVERTISEMENT
One city official said the city was aware of the plan but not any specifics. The Chicago Police Department had no immediate comment.
One Immigration and Customs Enforcement official in Chicago, who asked not to be named because they were not authorized to speak on the matter, confirmed the deployment was expected to take place. The official noted that the HSI agents, who are part of ICE, would not be involved in immigration or deportation matters.
It was unclear where all the agents would be coming from, though many were expected to be from agencies operating in the Chicago area. Questions remained about the chain of command they would fall under.
Federal agents being used to confront street protesters in Portland, Oregon, has raised alarm in many circles. Chicago, too, has dealt with protests that have led to injuries in recent days.
At an unrelated news conference Monday morning, Mayor Lori Lightfoot said she has great concerns about the general possibility of President Donald Trump sending feds to Chicago based on what has happened in Portland.
If Trump wants to help, she said, he could boost federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives resources and fully fund prosecutors.
“We don’t need federal agents without any insignia taking people off the streets and holding them, I think, unlawfully,” Lightfoot said.
Word of the Chicago plan comes as Trump last week made a vague announcement on how his administration intended to deal with crime in big U.S. cities like Chicago. The Republican president, who has been very critical of Chicago’s violence throughout his term, has been pushing a “law and order” message as he enters the final stretch of his reelection campaign against his presumptive Democratic challenger, former Vice President Joe Biden.
In a briefing with reporters, Trump said he would have more to say on the topic this week, along with the attorney general, the FBI and others, because the “left-wing group of people that are running our cities are not doing the job that they’re supposed to be doing, and it’s not a very tough job to do if they knew what they were doing.”
Trump alluded to the same issue in an interview with “Fox News Sunday” host Chris Wallace, calling Chicago and New York “stupidly run” cities and blaming the violent crime there on Lightfoot and New York Mayor Bill de Blasio.
Wallace pushed back on Trump’s comments, saying “liberal Democrats have been running cities in this country for decades,” before the president interrupted with “poorly.”
Lightfoot pushed back last week on criticism from Trump’s press secretary, saying the Trump administration is trying to put the blame on Democrats for political purposes to “score points with their base.”
Without offering specifics, White House chief of staff Mark Meadows told Fox News over the weekend that Trump, Attorney General William Barr and acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf would roll out a plan this week about tamping down crime in various U.S. cities.
“Some of the unrest that we saw, even in the last month or so, but particularly last night and in the week leading up to it in Portland, is just not acceptable when you look at communities not being safe and not upholding the rule of law,” said Meadows. “So, Attorney General Barr is weighing in on that with Secretary Wolf and you’ll see something rolled out this week as we start to go in and make sure that the communities, whether it’s Chicago or Portland or Milwaukee or some place across the heartland of the country, we need to make sure their communities are safe.”
ADVERTISEMENT
As news of the plans spread, leaders of the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois issued a strongly worded statement opposing the move.
“Make no mistake: Trump’s unmarked federal forces will not assist in constructively addressing violence in Chicago,” Colleen Connell, executive director of the group, said in the statement. “As our colleagues have seen in Portland, Trump’s secret forces will terrorize communities, and create chaos. This is not law and order. This is an assault on the people of this country, the specific protections of protest and press in the First Amendment, and the Constitution’s assignment of policing to local authorities, not a president acting like a despot.”
On Saturday, the president of the Chicago police’s largest union had sent Trump a letter asking for help from the federal government in putting a lid on crime in the city.
“I am certain you are aware of the chaos currently affecting our city on a regular basis now,” John Catanzara, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 7, wrote in a letter that was posted on the FOP’s Facebook page. “I am writing to formally ask you for help from the federal government. Mayor Lightfoot has proved to be a complete failure who is either unwilling or unable to maintain law and order here.”
So far in 2020, Chicago has experienced one of its most violent years in recent memory, especially since late May with the fallout over the death of George Floyd at the hands of police in Minnesota. Through July 12, homicides in Chicago were up 48% with 385, compared with 260 at the same time last year, official CPD statistics show. Shootings were also up by 46%.
LATEST CRIMINAL JUSTICE
2h
Read the criminal complaint, prosecution deal cut by ComEd in case connected to Speaker Mike Madigan
JUL 17, 2020
Read the criminal complaint, prosecution deal cut by ComEd in case connected to Speaker Mike Madigan
County’s prosecutors, others in criminal justice deal with budget cuts after COVID-19 hits revenue
JUL 16, 2020
County’s prosecutors, others in criminal justice deal with budget cuts after COVID-19 hits revenue
During a 28-day period through July 12, 116 people were slain in Chicago, the statistics show. That’s up from 41 during the same period in 2019.
In addition to Portland, Homeland Security agents have already been sent to other cities, including Washington, D.C., and Seattle.
Oregon’s attorney general sued Homeland Security and the U.S. Marshals Service on Friday, alleging in a complaint that federal agents in Portland, which has continued to see intense unrest since Floyd’s death on May 25, unjustifiably grabbed people from the city’s streets.

quinine
ok

Postby maraschino cherry » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:36 pm

Again, anything we can do as onlookers? Should I call my local officials and ask them to oppose this? Call Lori lightfoot’s secretary? Idk how much that will make a difference but watching this happen and feeling powerless to stop it is fucking awful

maraschino cherry

Postby viachicago » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:53 pm

lightfoot already opposes this. that said we also already have a sizeable contingent of alphabet soup agencies in this city who work hand in hand with law enforcement and have done so forever.

the protest scene here also isnt really comparable with seattle/portland, but the attempt to paint this as an attempt to quell gun violence (which is a result primarily of gangs and random spur of the moment beefs) is laughable on its face

viachicago

Postby La Abeja » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:21 pm

jesus fucking christ
Fear is an illusion!

La Abeja

Postby La Abeja » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:30 pm

I don't have a ton to add, but I don't mind trying to keep this in the front of my mind while 'the world keeps turning' so to speak. In case anyone is seeing this that hasn't read the chicago thread:
tgk wrote:
Fear is an illusion!

La Abeja

PreviousNext

Return to The Hot Zone