The Running Thread

All Are Welcome!

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby kid pretentious » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:51 pm

well i do have one open spot if you want in bs lol

this is my second time doing it but our original leader for this one ditched us for another crew (he has a hardon for military veterans) and gave me very little time to organize the team myself between mardi gras and organizing my own race. just hoping everything works out while i finish napping the route.

got another member of our crew running the whole thing solo and she’s gunning for the solo record. insane.

kid pretentious

Postby Barthes Starr » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:00 pm

sounds stressful! from what i've heard, organizing/crewing a tsp team is about as hard as racing tsp, so pulling double duty is commendable!

my friend shelby has the current womens solo record actually! good luck to your teammate

Barthes Starr

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:54 pm

former hood to coast champ here

love these kinds of races. organizational nightmare so if you can have someone else take care of that, that's ideal :)

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby kid pretentious » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:25 pm

yeah last year i showed up, ran some fast miles, drank 3 beers and did it all over again for a couple days. it was sick.

kid pretentious

Postby vhg » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:40 pm

hmm, this isn't a great fit for the runners' thread but I didn't want to sully the hiking thread with talk of like, strava segments. this isn't even trail running, it's more like trying to move quickly over steep and/or difficult terrain

anyway, I don't run, never have, but I am trying to get back into getting outside and doing some decent trail stuff. I've got a loop I like nearby that's like 3.8 miles (edit: seems like just over 4) with 820 feet of climbing, and 1 full mile of it is a technical rock scramble (you're definitely using your hands at multiple points along the way). have done segments of it in the past where I'm trying to move quickly, but have never really approached the whole loop with speed as a goal

anyway, decided I wanted to try to crush out two loops today. again, not trail running (though I suspect that if I keep it up this might kinda backdoor me into trail running and possibly running in general). beautiful crisp day, I did the 8 miles without stopping in 2:38 total, PR'd the rock scramble both times (times within like 2 seconds of each other) and felt fucking great. Strava thought I was only moving for 2 hours but that doesn't seem possible, I was basically only standing still for about 2 minutes while I looked for an earbud tip that I dropped. Jogged a couple very brief stretches but otherwise was just really trying to hike quickly. Looking forward to doing more of this
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
vhg

Postby blue sunshine » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:57 pm

hell yeah vhg! This weekend was cold enough that my nearby trail wasn't a muddy mess and it felt so good to be back out on it after a couple months of flat road running. Legs and butt felt satisfyingly sore after.

blue sunshine

Postby vhg » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:21 pm

:)

your Barkley thread definitely helped activate some stoke
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
vhg

Postby kid pretentious » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:00 pm

kid pretentious wrote:got another member of our crew running the whole thing solo and she’s gunning for the solo record. insane.

she’s finishing way ahead of schedule today, legit in awe of her running 283 miles this quick.

kid pretentious

Postby Barthes Starr » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:27 pm

she's the one currently in the lead?? was wondering. insane performance so far
my buddy jesus is in second at the moment i think!

Barthes Starr

Postby kid pretentious » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:09 pm

yeah lucy is tough as nails, they’ve said jesus is cool as hell.

might have some tea to spill in the dms about something related to the solo race after i get to vegas myself.

kid pretentious

Postby Barthes Starr » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:33 pm

lol ya hit me
TSP has a, uh, let's say, sort of contentious reputation in the LA running community

Barthes Starr

Postby Merciel » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:21 pm

My original plan this spring was to do the Love Run half-marathon as a sort of "take it easy, don't push too hard, see where I am in a race environment after a winter of trying to improve baseline fitness" self-assessment, then launch into four-five weeks of more focused training and do another half in Delaware at the end of April as an actual full effort race.

Then I talked SVC into doing the 10k with me in Delaware instead (muwahahaha I'm going to make SVC start jogging with me!!), so now I'm no longer planning to do that half, which means the Love Run got bumped up to my only half marathon this spring and now I'm going to try to run it as best I can without actually having trained specifically to run this race.

I don't really expect this to make a huge difference, but woof I am suddenly feeling underprepared.

It is also pretty funny to realize that I have never done a 5k, 10k, or half. Hoping to try one of each this year, although finding a 5k might be pretty tough. The good one is a week after the half, which is too soon.

Anyway I'm excited about dumping an SVC race report in here come April. He's never done an organized run of any kind before.
Last edited by Merciel on Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby pocket shepherd » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:29 pm

I had a holiday so missed week five of couch to 5k, gotta say running 3 x 5 mins feels pretty steep right now. Gonna bloody do it tho.

pocket shepherd
ok

Postby clouds » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:33 pm

It gets easier quickly pocket shepherd. you'll be there in no time. I couldn't run a mile (again after being in good shape a couple years ago and letting it go) in september without walking breaks (unless I ran super slow).

I dunno how my sloppy slob 5k effort will go next week but if nothing else it should motivate me to work harder/live cleaner. I think I'll come close to my goal but can picture not quite cutting it. I've been slacking because of shitty weather. grey/cold/mist/wind really bums me out lately. I don't miss sunny days. I hope I'm more consistent as april starts.

I am also in for a hot as fuck 25k trail run in june. but I'll just be happy for the hills and exercise. no goal on that one but "try" and have fun. and probably crush one or 2 of the iced pbrs they have at the aid stations.
Last edited by clouds on Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clouds

Postby clouds » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:37 pm

I can never pace a 5k properly regardless so I'll just go with the tried and true method of horrifically positive splits. start way below pace and finish way slower.

clouds

Postby fakename » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:05 pm

I ran my longest trail race yet today. The course started where Western States ends so I got to run some of that and a bit of Way too Cool.

Had a blast and ran faster than expected! Nothing on the course was as steep as where I've been training. 8-)

First place finisher ran a sub 7 minute pace which is blowing my mind because I kept having to slow down to cross rivers and stuff. I don't understand how you can run that fast on wet, muddy rocks.

fakename

Postby clouds » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:23 pm

that's awesome fakename. I often think of walmsleys ws record when I'm running like 7 miles on roads at sea level at the same pace.

clouds

Postby Merciel » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:37 pm

Love Run: perfect weather, nice course, pretty good crowd support (it turns out I don't really like crowd support when I'm trying to run quote-unquote "fast" though).

1:58:25 on a negative split, which for me is 8-)

By way of comparison my half split for the full marathon in November was 2:22. The weather was SO MUCH WORSE then (oh god, so much worse) and I was trying to pace that run more conservatively, and also I basically hadn't slept or eaten anything in a week, but even so, I'm happy with this much improvement in four months. This wasn't even supposed to be my "real" spring half until a couple of weeks ago. Also, this time I didn't want to die in a portapotty for the last third of the race, so that's 8-) too.

I started way back in the 2:30 corral based on my November time, also because I do the thing where I go "well, I'm really pretty slow, so I guess I should be... here?" and then I get there and remember that there are lots of people in the world who go slower than I do.

I forget this all the time because, between being extremely slow anyway and also being adamant about not running my easy days hard, I never pass anybody on my regular jogging trail. I always get passed. I get passed by literally everyone I encounter, to the point where if I manage to pass somebody, I immediately tell SVC about it when I get home because THAT NEVER HAPPENS.

But it turns out that the slowpoke corrals in big races are full of people who never use the jogging trails and that's why they're in the slowpoke corral.

Anyway, I ended up dodging and weaving around slower runners for the whole entire thing, and got jammed up in traffic repeatedly, which cost me at least 3 minutes (Garmin clocked my time to complete 13.1 miles as 1:55, but I ended up running 13.5 on the course because of detours to get around people). I'm not mad about it though because it is pretty encouraging to just pass people constantly for the whole entire race, and also I really just wanted to get sub-2 and I did that, so whatever, I'm not at the point where I care about 3 minutes' difference as long as I got my big goal.

I DID IT

I RAN AN ACTUALLY PRETTY OKAY TIME

WOOOOOOO

The overall winner of the whole entire race ran 1:07:37 and there was over a 2-minute gap between him and the next guy, so if Barthes Starr had been here he could probably have won the whole thing.

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Barthes Starr » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:11 pm

merciel 1:58 is fuckin impressive!!

Barthes Starr

Postby conductor » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:14 pm

yeah I've followed your progress in here and that's seriously impressive!

conductor

Postby blue sunshine » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:48 pm

Merciel wrote:1:58:25 on a negative split, which for me is 8-)

Wait, you said you were slowwww!! All lies! Bravo!

blue sunshine

Postby fraew » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:05 pm

3 weeks till the culmination of my running season in 3 weeks; the Christchurch (half) Marathon. Form's looking pretty good; solid base and I've been slowly getting back to my ParkRun PB pace.
Did a 12.6km fun run last weekend and was top 40 out of 8,500 runners, setting my 10km PB.

The bad news is I've kicked off playing masters football recently, so my Saturday's are gonna be switching focus...

fraew

Postby Merciel » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:23 pm

Nice job fraew! I look forward to the full report. :)

And thanks everybody. My butt hurts so bad. Thank god for foam rollers.

I'm really happy with this time. Sub-2 was a real stretch goal for me and it was such a good feeling to come to that last mile marker and realize that hell yeah I'm gonna get it woooooo

next up: dragging SVC into doing this with me once in a while

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby kid pretentious » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:13 pm

made it out of speed project in one piece but goddamn, if any of you do it please take the original route and not the shortcut that goes through insane off-roading. some of the most harrowing miles and drives of my life.

kid pretentious

Postby southpaw » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:09 am

Anybody dealt with / successfully recovered from metatarsalgia? I'm shitting my pants imagining being off the road for like 6 weeks letting it heal

Also not wanting to spend hundreds on inserts but yknow

southpaw

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:45 pm

that much rest might be necessary. self-massage (golf ball and just digging in with your hands, let me emphasize you need to dig in *hard*) can really help. A lot of it can just be about breaking up the scar tissue and mobilizing the joints. Ice cups too, to help it calm down.

Insole wise, don't go get custom ones, start with just the cheap flat cushiony ones which cost about $15 (example), they can make a difference

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby Barthes Starr » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:27 pm

kid pretentious wrote:made it out of speed project in one piece but goddamn, if any of you do it please take the original route and not the shortcut that goes through insane off-roading. some of the most harrowing miles and drives of my life.

lol every year it seems like the people i know that take the shorter route go into the race all like 'omg we found a shortcut we're gonna win' and then come outta the race like 'wtf were we thinking that was a nightmare'

congrats on finishing! (and to your friend lucy!!)

Barthes Starr

Postby conductor » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:24 pm

southpaw what shoes are you wearing? my running store put me in ghosts (tons of cushion) and I haven't had issues since then.

and yeah I used a lacrosse ball but you just gotta attack it.

also obviously you're mileage may vary but a lot of my running injuries (this one included) often seem to come down to ridiculous tightness from the back down. so stretching and foam rolling everything, even if it's several muscle groups away. it's all connected

conductor

Postby clouds » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:28 am

clouds wrote:
I dunno how my sloppy slob 5k effort will go next week but if nothing else it should motivate me to work harder/live cleaner.

I was shooting for 23:00 so I'll take that. went out way too hard as usual.

If they had a bracket for alcoholic widows who run like15mpw I'd take 1st. I guarantee no one there drinks like I do lol.

but I should probably get my shit together. I think I could do a sub 20 if I actually tried which would really make my hobbyjogger career

clouds

Postby Merciel » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:01 am

oh shiiiiittt nice job!!

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley