The Runners' Thread - PRs/Strava Group in 1st post

'Cause I've been postin' and laughin' so long
That even my momma thinks that my mind is gone

Postby Quixotic » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:05 pm

A-Ok wrote:
jbiz wrote:i'm closing in on my goal of 2000 miles this year and should hit it around the 28th or 29th

i still gained 15 lbs this year. life is hard

would think unless you're doing a lot of variety (sprints, intervals, hilly terrain) running is easy as shit for you so probably not burning a ton of calories.

you just stop burning calories once you get 'good' at running. even though you get efficient, you're still putting in lots of work and burning calories. i'd wager the calories burned per km would only be a few % points off between a newbie and a consistent runner

also, no need to belittle someone's PR - everyone runs differently.

Quixotic

Postby Kuboaa » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:46 pm

should end this January distance at around 231 miles, starting to feel it in the final week which has been amplified by having to run in heavy snow

I just ordered a whoop strap, anyone use one of these? I'm most interested in the strain coach data and see if I have more in my tank then I am realizing I have

Kuboaa

Postby uncledoj » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:51 pm

Running outside through the winter for the first time, and I'm really loving it - even single digits isn't so bad. My route is hilly and half on poorly shoveled sidewalks though so it's teacherous - how do other winter runners deal with this?

I've got some of the yaktrax running cleats, but they're already starting to break down a little it seems like, and it feels like it can't be good for my feet to have those strapped on every time. Really don't want to fall on ice and sprain something though

uncledoj

Postby conductor » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:02 pm

I run through the winter in Minneapolis and don't know if I've been extremely lucky, but I've never fallen while actively running, and just wear standard running shoes.

I honestly feel like I'm more stable when I have forward momentum from running than if I'm shuffling along trying not to slip. Like a month ago I finished a run and then fell like 30 seconds later as I was crossing the street.

conductor

Postby woozy ducks » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:04 pm

What pants have you found that work? Sweats, trackpants, something else? Sorry, this is my biggest holdup to winter running

woozy ducks

Postby conductor » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:26 pm

an investment, but I've only ever had to layer track pants over these once, when the windchill was like -25

https://millcity.fittedrunning.com/product/mens-nike-thermal-running-tights-black/?fcbid=601597bbab832d8e54a78&fcsid=6019d1ced109428fd3789

conductor

Postby woozy ducks » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:28 pm

hm, I appreciate the suggestion but I don't think I can wear those

woozy ducks

Postby uncledoj » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:29 pm

Yeah I just do thermal tights like those, with shorts over them and tall, warm socks

uncledoj

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:29 am

once you go tights, you'll never go back. (the non-thermal Nike ones are like $60 and amazing, good down to 20 degrees or so.)

I got a pair of non-thermals to replace the ones I've had since 2005... man, tights technology has advanced so much. yoga pants were our generation's Apollo program.

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:30 am

the other advantage of tights, unlike sweatpants and track pants, is that they don't get wet and heavy in rain or snow. they also move with your legs and don't crimp your stride.

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby Kuboaa » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:51 am

yeah thermal tights with shorts over them is what I do
I usually only need crew socks during most of the winter unless it gets down into the single digits then I bulk up

Kuboaa

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:00 am

me too
tights are the best, i never want to take them off
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby Quixotic » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:02 am

echoing others' suggestions on tights (plus shorts if you're modest like me).

with regards to footwear - my take is to avoid having to wear yaktrax (or other similar equipment) in the first place. for me that means picking and choosing routes that I know won't be icy (like ploughed sidewalks, roads). If I know some parts will be icy on a route I like I'll just slow way down for those spots. I've fallen a few times and it sucks and can be scary.

I did see that some folks would get some extra life out of old shoes by putting small screws in the bottom of them for extra grip on icy trails, but that seems a bit extreme (and maybe uncomfortable) to me.

Quixotic

Postby Zurich » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:04 pm

I have to echo what conductor said, I feel more stable while running than walking on ice, just wearing standard running shoes. Haven't fallen though time has suffered because I'm more engaged and focused on every step. Def an improvement over summer thoughtless flying where I have fallen multiple times (doh). As a side bonus, there's not much mud here and from just running on snow/ice, my shoe soles have never been cleaner. They look brand new!

re: pants/tights, i have a pair of these bislett tracksmith pants. I wear them over long compression shorts. they're not particularly warm and if I had to do it today, I'd probably go with tights. but if you're on the fence re: tights aesthetically, I'd recommend them as a quality pair of pants with good details/features (stirups are unique, the calf zips are useful). obv you can probably get totally decent ones for much, much cheaper, but they are very good quality. I've been wearing them for years and they look pristine.

i think the most important part of winter running is gloves tbh. i got a pair of running gloves on amazon for like $8 that I wear under my normal winter gloves and that's basically sorted my cold weather discomfort.

Zurich

Postby conductor » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:14 pm

I think the tights are essential, and do whatever you need to make them work for you. I assumed that I'd be self-conscious about them, but honestly that lasted for like a mile (seriously, I can remember the point in my run where I stopped caring). If I were running in a situation where I was going to be indoors/around people afterward I might think twice, but I don't think it's an issue if you're just coming and going from home.

I actually felt more self-conscious the time or two I went out with shorts over them because I personally think it looks goofy.

conductor

Postby Quixotic » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:25 pm

conductor wrote:I think the tights are essential, and do whatever you need to make them work for you. I assumed that I'd be self-conscious about them, but honestly that lasted for like a mile (seriously, I can remember the point in my run where I stopped caring). If I were running in a situation where I was going to be indoors/around people afterward I might think twice, but I don't think it's an issue if you're just coming and going from home.

I actually felt more self-conscious the time or two I went out with shorts over them because I personally think it looks goofy.

Oh it definitely is goofy! And it's not as if the shorts I wear overtop of tights even offer functional pocket space. Purely for modesty :oops:

Quixotic

Postby conductor » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:52 pm

just got back from a -25 wind-chill run (pants over tights!). I usually wear lightweight gloves under mittens but was worried that wouldn't be enough, so I wore by super heavy duty gloves. after about a half hour I had to keep taking them off for like ten seconds at a time to "vent" because i was overheating.

also my glasses completely froze over, so to look at anything clearly I had to bend my head down and look over them. dumb stuff but at least i can make a post about it.

conductor

Postby Barthes Starr » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:46 pm

conductor wrote:also my glasses completely froze over, so to look at anything clearly I had to bend my head down and look over them. dumb stuff but at least i can make a post about it.

mine have never frozen, but they fog constantly so this is super relatable and i hate it
been meaning to find a solution for months and months
Barthes Starr

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:36 pm

Here is a pretty cool article about the Michigan high schooler who came out of nowhere to run a 3:57 mile (indoors!) this weekend

https://www.letsrun.com/news/2021/02/an-unknown-high-schooler-just-ran-a-357-mile-everything-you-need-to-about-hobbs-kesslers-record-breaking-run/

Looks like his primary sport has been rock climbing but he is also preternaturally talented at track.

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby Zurich » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:57 am

got the frozen beard this week and times have been slowing, I can't tell if it's cadence related to ice or just the cold

i really wish we'd get a one day thaw or something

Zurich

Postby resum » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:57 pm

I've been given it a go at -30C (too cold to x-country ski). It's not too bad, but it's not really fun the way running usually is
resum

Postby based dana scully » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:07 pm

conductor wrote:just got back from a -25 wind-chill run (pants over tights!). I usually wear lightweight gloves under mittens but was worried that wouldn't be enough, so I wore by super heavy duty gloves. after about a half hour I had to keep taking them off for like ten seconds at a time to "vent" because i was overheating.

also my glasses completely froze over, so to look at anything clearly I had to bend my head down and look over them. dumb stuff but at least i can make a post about it.

lol i've also had many experiences with having to "vent" my hands. i always find if i get my core (thighs up to shoulders) layers right i don't need warm mitts or more than a headband. if i wear too little on my core, then my hands really suffer. we've had a "cold snap" in victoria bc this week (-5C) and people are out running in puffy jackets which i find hilarious :lol:

based dana scully

Postby Kuboaa » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:14 pm

running in fresh powder yesterday was quite the unexpected workout lol

I got a pair of the Tracksmith 2 types of gloves set, where you get a pair of their regular form fitting gloves and a pair of their bigger mittens that go over top of them and they have been awesome, after biting the bullet on the price everything I've ever got from Tracksmith has basically been perfect and it lasts forever

Kuboaa

Postby jbiz » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:00 pm

A-Ok wrote:also 6:32 seems slow for the ability to run that much every week unless that was your fastest mile during a long run.

Quixotic wrote:
A-Ok wrote:
jbiz wrote:i'm closing in on my goal of 2000 miles this year and should hit it around the 28th or 29th

i still gained 15 lbs this year. life is hard

would think unless you're doing a lot of variety (sprints, intervals, hilly terrain) running is easy as shit for you so probably not burning a ton of calories.

you just stop burning calories once you get 'good' at running. even though you get efficient, you're still putting in lots of work and burning calories. i'd wager the calories burned per km would only be a few % points off between a newbie and a consistent runner

also, no need to belittle someone's PR - everyone runs differently.

i just saw this. yeah, the 6:32 mile was mile 8 of a 10 mile run. i'm 40 years old, have been running for only 4 years, and my mental health is in the fucking toilet, but i still ran that mile in 6:32.

jbiz

Postby conductor » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:39 pm

considering whether it might ACTUALLY be too cold to run Sunday... high of -6, low of -22, supposed to be windy so tack on another 15 or 20 from windchill...?

But man... think of the POST I could make...........

conductor

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:05 am

board is life dogg

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby shizaam » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:39 am

shizaam

Postby shizaam » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:41 am

also that 3:57 mile from a high schooler story is great

shizaam

Postby shizaam » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:32 am

no idea what possessed me, but just went for my first run in years (been much more of a cyclist). kept it easy for 20 minutes... feeling pretty good post-run.

shizaam

Postby conductor » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:39 am

Jefferson Zeppelin wrote:board is life dogg

I didn't die. IIRC the windchill was -30 but felt no shittier than my other February runs.

the funny thing is now that it's in the 30s/40s in Minneapolis everyone's out running in the heavy duty winter gear they bought but (presumably) didn't use when it was actually necessary. it was 45 the other day and i was in shorts and a rolled-up long tee... did a double take when i saw a guy in thermal tights, vest, and beanie.

fully realize I'm a cold running elitist but these Joggy Come Latelys overheating in their $100 tights makes me laugh

conductor

PreviousNext

Return to Poster's Paradise