Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby badhat » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:05 pm

this bums me out.
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

badhat

Postby loaf angel » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:39 pm

goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby tgk » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:40 pm

let's all just watch this instead

tgk

Postby Grey Poupon » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:00 pm

I feel like no cities to love was an unexpected treat and if they want to attract a new fan base by doing what they find fun and different with st Vincent I’m totally supportive
But I won’t listen to the music but it’s not for me so that’s ok
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Grey Poupon

Postby Ersaph » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:16 pm

Sounds like a Kids Bop
And I feel like this year is really about, just the year of realizing stuff.

Ersaph

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:35 pm

this entire press cycle is sort of just confirming this is a Creative Differences thing and that they are pretty exasperated with janet for leaving

but who can blame her LISTEN TO THIS SHIT man

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby Paul » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:56 pm

weird that Janet was the one who first said Annie could produce a couple songs.
This is my Instagram

Milk wrote:I never have sex OR vacations.

lordofdiapers wrote:Paul is worthy

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby badhat » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:11 pm

Grey Poupon wrote:I feel like no cities to love was an unexpected treat and if they want to attract a new fan base by doing what they find fun and different with st Vincent I’m totally supportive
But I won’t listen to the music but it’s not for me so that’s ok

this is a charitable take i want to try to live in and I'm trying to think back to a precedent from my youth where there was an genre 70s artist that went more pop in the 80s and thats where i found them and loved it... like genisis? hall & oats? paul simon? bruce? kool & the gang?
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

badhat

Postby emotional fascism » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:49 pm

this kinda says it all. St Vincent is fuckin corrosive

Production-wise, “I remember I was using the word ‘corrosive’ a lot,” Clark said, when she joined the group interview. All three were arrayed in variations on black, white and a pop of red, in escalating levels of glam. “Nice suit,” Brownstein, low-key in a printed button-up, said admiringly of Clark’s slick, sexy-boss black-and-white pinstripe, set off by red heart-shaped sunglasses and a Gucci handbag.
Last edited by emotional fascism on Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emotional fascism

Postby emotional fascism » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:50 pm

dp

emotional fascism

Postby Ersaph » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:13 pm

Carrie seems like a very shitty person to me generally based on her behavior and association with Fred Armisen. There’s lots of lesbian hot goss about her which I’m not saying is true; but her dating and then cheating on St. Vincent before having SV produce an album that sounds like this...I can intuit how Janet might feel pressured to have SV produce or hold out on speaking about “creative differences” until the record was finished.
And I feel like this year is really about, just the year of realizing stuff.

Ersaph

Postby nocents » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:19 pm

this song is a No Doubt b-side

nocents

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:40 pm

Ersaph wrote:Carrie seems like a very shitty person to me generally based on her behavior and association with Fred Armisen. There’s lots of lesbian hot goss about her which I’m not saying is true; but her dating and then cheating on St. Vincent before having SV produce an album that sounds like this...I can intuit how Janet might feel pressured to have SV produce or hold out on speaking about “creative differences” until the record was finished.

spill the TEA already

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby loaf angel » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:59 pm

goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby Paul » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:53 am

Was scrolling through instagram earlier and laughed. Janet posted an update on her car accident then SK posted a photo shoot pic of Carrie and Corin like 30 minutes later.
This is my Instagram

Milk wrote:I never have sex OR vacations.

lordofdiapers wrote:Paul is worthy

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby France 98 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:18 am

Jefferson Zeppelin wrote:
Ersaph wrote:Carrie seems like a very shitty person to me generally based on her behavior and association with Fred Armisen. There’s lots of lesbian hot goss about her which I’m not saying is true; but her dating and then cheating on St. Vincent before having SV produce an album that sounds like this...I can intuit how Janet might feel pressured to have SV produce or hold out on speaking about “creative differences” until the record was finished.

spill the TEA already

From memory, Carrie Brownstein instigated Annie Clark to cheat on Cara Delevingn. They ended up together. Then Carrie Brownstein cheated on her with the lead from Orange is the New Black.

I had a period where I used to read Crazy Days and Nights and this lesbian forum called 'The Lipstick.'

probably one of the more banal indie rock rumours though.
France 98

Postby Jouster » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:47 pm

Leak thread as of yesterday and zero posts in this thread since. That about sums it up, huh?

Jouster

Postby light rail coyote » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:53 pm

i follow a lot of local musicians/art people on twitter and fwiw there's been a lot of talk lately about carrie's association with armisen and hutch harris from the thermals (he's been outed as a creep from one of the members of summer cannibals, allie goertz, lucia fasano, and a few other people associated with the portland art/comedy/music scene) and i while i don't have any actual inside info, it would not surprise me if these things were related.

light rail coyote

Postby tgk » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:54 pm

i actually kinda dig this album, but im a sucker for hooks and corin could sing the phone book and i'd still like it

tgk

Postby randomobject » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:57 am

I gave it multiple good listens with an open mind at work today. Even taking it on its own terms it seems pretty meh.
randomobject

Postby Grey Poupon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:23 am

I just don’t care, like I made it through maybe five minutes total between songs
Even the song titles are like another band

I wish them success they brought me a lot of joy over the years

Grey Poupon

Postby butter » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:11 am

I don't hate this as much as I thought I would. There are a few moments here that I thoroughly enjoyed... that being said, this was a big ol' fizzle. Ironically, Annie Clark's production on this actually makes these songs sound kind of flat and bland. Ultimately, yeah, not a huge trainwreck but also, like, big whoop.

butter

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:34 am

it's just window dressing

i will probably skip their set at the festival we're doing next month, it's just like ... there is no way i want to hear these songs live and not really dying to to hear the old stuff without janet. sleater kinney rip 2019 see u at the crossroads sisters

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby buriedinspace » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:38 am

Weird that there's a S-K record that I'm 25/75 against the idea of actually giving a listen to. Slightly less weird that the same is the case for the Hold Steady but that would have been bizarre a decade ago, itself.

That said - less than a month from now there's an Alex G, Charli XCX and Jenny Hval release date, so gonna look forward to that instead
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

PayPal: paypal.me/binspace because I am a very broke person and maybe you are not?

buriedinspace

Postby tgk » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:46 am

I was listening to the album in the car and was thinking "no wonder janet left they completely buried the drums on this record" and then switched to the radio and on NPR terry gross is interviewing carrie and corin and asking them about janet and it's abundantly clear that it was an ugly departure.

tgk

Postby Grey Poupon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:07 pm

Like when Wire recorded an album and Robert’s job was to program the drum computer :geek:

Grey Poupon

Postby light rail coyote » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:25 pm

finally listened to this and honestly it's not even the production/st. vincent influence, the songwriting itself just feels incredibly clunky and dull. for example, the glam power ballad stuff on "restless" sounds really good, but the song itself just isn't there at all.

it lacks any of the dynamics/tension that used to characterize their music and could've easily been incorporated into a more glammy, poppy album but it's just so flat and lifeless

carrie's vocal affectations don't work with this style of music at all and start to get really cloying the longer it goes on

light rail coyote

Postby Grey Poupon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:42 pm

It sounds very mid 00s brooklyn

Grey Poupon

Postby light rail coyote » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:43 pm

yeah that's a good way of putting it. it sounds like stuff that bored me in high school, the kind of stuff that made a song like "entertain" so refreshing and vital

light rail coyote

Postby Grey Poupon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:47 pm

Yes!

The Woods being their comeback album in reverse time crazy logic ;)

Np: entertain and feeling fresh and vital o/
The solo break with the marching drum beat is pure endorphins

Grey Poupon

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....