Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby neuartillery » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:59 pm

I played it today in the car. There are a few good (or mostly good) songs, Corin fares far better than Carrie (she still sounds a bit restrained), the intro to the first song is a good warning for how much the album wastes Janet, the songs that sound more like recent St. Vincent did not interest me. I can’t say I’m itching to hear it again.

When “Hurry on Home” came on I imagined the cartoon sounds during its chorus being an unrelenting sonic feature of the album and had a laugh. I mostly like that song but the outro stinks and the lyrics do not improve with more plays.

neuartillery

Postby shirts optional » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:23 pm

This is Sleater-Kinney's "Everything Now"

lifeless and overproduced

shirts optional

Postby neuartillery » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:39 pm

It took me a minute to remember who made Everything Now

neuartillery

Postby mystery meat » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:45 pm

they sacrificed janet for this album kinda wild to think about

mystery meat

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:10 pm

Janet's injuries are quite gnarly. Get well soon!

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby antoine » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:34 pm

Jesus

antoine

Postby neuartillery » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:37 pm

That looks like the leg of a cadaver

neuartillery

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:55 pm

man fuck

super glad she is recovering

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby saranclaps » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:51 pm

this is really bad.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby saranclaps » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:54 pm

if they wanted to break aesthetic get grimes to produce.

might've still sucked but would've been interesting.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby saranclaps » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:08 pm

Anna Meredith maybe btter idea 4 producer

saranclaps

Postby Paul » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:24 pm

Holy shit I just wrote a lengthy post and the power went out right before I was about to hit submit. I guess I'll do this again.

I just finished listening to this on some good earbuds and felt compelled to share my thoughts on this album, something I'd normally stray from. I will never be the album review or even ranking guy.

For the record, I only got in the Sleater-Kinney ~5-6 years ago, I think someone uploaded The Woods vinyl rip here and my adoration for them snowballed from there. I went on iTunes and purchased every record and they skyrocketed in to one of my 5 favourite bands of all time with ease. I listened to Dig Me Out back in the mid 2000s during the indie explosion when I'd listen to every band posted about on a message board trying to convince myself they were all amazing. I didn't get it at the time, but maybe it was a bad starting point.
I also don't ever want to knock artists for skewing from their comfort zone, even with resistance from their fans. Artists are supposed to be eccentric and extraordinary, it's what evolves music and cinema and everything else. They're the ones who inspire us to push boundaries out in the world and of ourselves.

My summation is that this feels like a Carrie Brownstein solo album, and with her production could easily be swapped to feel like a new St Vincent album. Corin is essentially subjected to back up vocals until track 9 (!) in which she's finally featured prominently and then shows up one more time on track 11. This isn't the Corin we know though, this is a sedate Corin who just feels like she's along for the ride, not driving the locomotive that Sleater-Kinney always has been. There are two tracks that don't feel like they could be St Vincent songs, Restless and Broken, but they don't sound like Sleater-Kinny songs either, they're just nice tracks that offer up a little bit of balance.

I miss the counter choruses between Carrie and Corin, the ones Carrie even wrote about in her book (which I loved for the record) and made Sleater-Kinney so uinique and what they are. I miss them singing so abrasively over each other that it makes your average 9-5 top 100 radio listener ask "what the fuck are you listening to?" when walking by my desk one day. "Sleater-Kinney" I replied. "That lady needs to learn how to sing!" he replied before I turned it down just to end the conversation.

I miss Janet's drumming on nearly every track that made my eardrums feel like her snare while her drumsticks were inside my head turning my brain to mush.

I miss the guitars assaulting my senses, and the rhythm of them on Night Light pounding on my chest like a Paramedic trying to ressusitate me after Janet just ended my life.

I didn't hate this album, it just feels forgettable, something I'll maybe listen to once or twice and then move on from completely. No Cities to Love was different, but still retained enough of what they're known for to have me come back to once or twice a year. Sorry, this was long.
This is my Instagram

Milk wrote:I never have sex OR vacations.

lordofdiapers wrote:Paul is worthy

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:28 pm

I don't think I'd miss any of it if they just wrote good songs for the new record.

Unfortunately they did not.

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby Paul » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:37 pm

Well that's a valid point as well
This is my Instagram

Milk wrote:I never have sex OR vacations.

lordofdiapers wrote:Paul is worthy

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby Grey Poupon » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:25 pm

Good post Paul
Both the assessment of the new one and why their previous work is so fantastic
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Grey Poupon

Postby quilty » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:58 pm

i'm listening to no cities to love in preparation for this

it's okay. the dancey quality i'm picking up on isn't convincing to me. i guess the fact that it took me this long to re-listen is kind of a judgement in itself

oh well. this band used to be great!

quilty
ok

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:14 am

struttin' evil mushroom wrote:I don't think I'd miss any of it if they just wrote good songs for the new record.

Unfortunately they did not.

I do wonder how often this drives bands changing their sound. The well is dry. Let's mess around a bit and see if we can come up with something.

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby black mamba » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:53 pm

so i listened to this and you guys made it sound like it was all techno beats or something but it's just like professionally produced rock music. what's the big deal tbh?

black mamba
ok

Postby bobble » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:36 pm

It's pretty good, S-K has just set a really high bar.

I may have calmed down enough to enjoy the tour!

Did anyone read this review on stereogum?

https://www.stereogum.com/2057329/sleater-kinney-new-drummer-concert-review/franchises/sounding-board/

We'll see!!

bobble

Postby loaf angel » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:53 pm

very humble beginnings for their new drummer. Angie is a mutual friend, happy for her!

unfortunately not close enough to ask for guest list or anything
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby light rail coyote » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:38 pm

a few songs on this have grown on me but overall I'm not hugely into it. the title track could've been incredible with better production, and "can't go on" has really grown on me quite a bit.

so actually it's just two songs

light rail coyote

Postby lostintheair » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:42 am

00:12 The Center Won't Hold
3:17 Hurry On Home
6:18 Price Tag
10:20 The Future Is Here
13:35 Jumpers
17:48 Reach Out
21:20 Bury Our Friends
24:44 Ruins
30:49 What's Mine Is Yours
37:32 Ironclad
40:02 One More Hour
43:15 Bad Dance
46:15 The Fox
49:24 Love
51:56 Can I Go On
55:11 A New Wave
58:50 Animal
1:0132 The Dog/The Body
1:05:08 Entertain
FIRST ENCORE:
1:11:28 Broken
1:14:57 Oh!
1:18:50 Words and Guitar
1:21:57 Modern Girl
SECOND ENCORE:
1:26:19 Step Aside
1:29:48 Dig Me Out
Anonymous said... lostinthemall is my nicca luv the virgin pron freak numetal never been kissed angsty teen angle this dude stays on point and has been killin it since day one

lostintheair

Postby smartphone » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:19 am

that crowd is dead

smartphone

Postby gauchebag » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:47 am

setlist actually looks pretty good..Ironclad, Dig me out, words and guitar. still don't care enough to see them.
bruce1: fucking, fighting, i'm the one with gun

gauchebag

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....