i couldnt find the LA thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby grace cathedral park » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:44 pm

this thread is moving closer and closer to me
Never knowingly eaten an ass.

grace cathedral park
The Rooster

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:27 pm

I've somehow never eaten at Millie's in Silverlake all these years despite hearing good things but I just saw a sign in Pasadena that they're opening soon here so I guess I'll finally try them
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby Jouster » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:38 pm

Musicians, know the good places to get drum stuff? I basically need everything - kit, cymbals, hardware. There's a drum shop on Vine that's nice but the prices are terrible.

Jouster

Postby The Bee (from nature) » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:16 am

assuming you've got a car the number of washed up rockers in Southern California makes Craigslist the obvious choice in my experience. Compared to the few other metro areas I've ever searched in, LA has so much more high quality music shit in a one-hour drive radius.

U probably already considered that, sorry to not have a better answer. I think the same saturation of music dudes drives prices up, and quality is high in the boutique places, but I'm generally not looking for a museum piece and I'm sure as hell not going to the guitar center district.
Fear is an illusion!

The Bee (from nature)

Postby madness and chaos » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:10 pm

I thought Dublab's 19th Anniversary party kinda looked underwhelming from the list of performaces and today I woke up and saw videos on IG from it and I've never really felt fomo in my life but I did so hard at this I thought of suicide. Think I'm going back to L.A. Making it my goal very soon. I know of a sober house in E. Hollywood for $600. Fuck it. Prophet looked amazing. The zen Mary Lattimore/Mira Billoutte/Ann Magnuson and I hate Ariel Pink but his thing with Nanny Cantaloupe and Jack Name looked phenomenal.
Roberto Bolaño's chair

madness and chaos

Postby Brouhaha » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:23 pm

#rain
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby gazedo » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:30 pm

Ciclavia was so much fun.

gazedo

Postby Brouhaha » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:41 pm

That 24 seconds of rain was exhilarating.

Who males the best vegan pies on the east side?
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby pzadvance » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:49 pm

LA Cinema Calendar - October 2018

*clockwise from top left: SLEEP HAS HER HOUSE (Scott Barley, 2017), ORSON WELLES, SALAAM BOMBAY (Mira Nair, 1988), LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT (Bi Gan, 2018)

October Highlights:

10/7 - Beyond Fest sounds cool and all, but it's the west side of the American Cinematheque's calendar this month that has us truly excited. First off is a 35mm showing of the legendary film essayist Chris Marker's rarely-screened A GRIN WITHOUT A CAT (1977) at the Aero Theatre, which examines the rise and fall of international leftist movements throughout the 60s and 70s.

10/7 - 10/9 - The experimental filmmaker Ken Jacobs will be in attendance at REDCAT on the 8th to perform his latest show, Metropolis Looms And The Bad Maria Is Tuned Up - according to the program notes, he uses “a homemade projector, hand-manipulated elements, and no film or video, to create mesmerizing hallucinatory effects. Each performance is unique, combining swirling abstract textures with hints of mysterious and inexplicable objects—all in a 3D that can be apprehended with a single eye.” Certainly sounds like a must-see live cinema event. Ken will also be showing up at LACMA on the 7th for a talk and screening of selected clips entitled Ken Jacobs: A Swim Through Open Space, as well as the Los Angeles Filmforum's screening of his 2013 3D film THE GUESTS on the 9th at the Downtown Independent.

10/11 - SLEEP HAS HER HOUSE (2017) is the highly-praised debut feature of British filmmaker Scott Barley, comprised of static shots that combine footage and stills captured on an iPhone with hand-drawn images to create moving paintings that have been described as "haunting," "intoxicating," "hypnotic," and "profound." Just look up some images from this to get excited about getting to see it at the Echo Park Film Center this month.

10/11 - 10/16 - Next up at the Aero-- in celebration of the master auteur's final film being edited and released into theaters courtesy of Netflix, the American Cinematheque is priming Angelenos with a mostly-complete retrospective of Orson Welles double features. Props for including under-screened films like MR. ARKADIN (1955) and THE IMMORTAL STORY (1968) (though we're trying to forgive them for excluding The Trial, one of Welles' best), and it all culminates in free screenings of the new feature-length documentary THEY'LL LOVE ME WHEN I'M DEAD (2018) and the aforementioned final film, THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND (2018).

10/12 - 10/14 - The local programming group Women & Film has been doing fantastic work for a while now with monthly screenings that highlight female artists and filmmakers, and they've really pulled out all the stops for this October's Female Filmmakers Festival, a three-day weekend event hosted at the Downtown Independent that is positively jam-packed with excellent screenings of classic and contemporary films, Q&As, and panel discussions. Some highlights: a free screening of Mira Nair's SALAAM BOMBAY (1988), a showing of AMERICAN PSYCHO (2000) followed by a Q&A with screenwriter Guinevere Turner, and a 35mm print of Lucrecia Matel's THE HEADLESS WOMAN (2008), plus so, so much more.

10/19 - As part of their 4th "China Onscreen Biennial," the UCLA Film & TV Archive will be showcasing some exciting new Chinese films over the next few months, but the one we're most excited for is Bi Gan's LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT (2018), a film we've been dying to see since its premiere at this year's Cannes. We'll let UCLA's official write-up hype it up better than we could: “A mysterious drifter searches for a long-lost lover but as she proves materially elusive, he retreats into the past through fragmentary flashbacks and enigmatic reveries. This pure cinema rhapsody culminates in a bravura 60-minute single-take shot presented in 3D. The film’s epic oneiric design earned writer-director Bi Gan comparisons at Cannes to Wong Kar-wai, Andrei Tarkovsky, Apichatpong Weerasethakul and Max Ophuls.”

10/23 - Queer programming platform Dirty Looks will be hosting a selection of politically subversive and hysterical shorts by trans organizer/artist/activist CHRIS E. VARGAS, founder of the Museum of Transgender History and Art, at the Downtown Independent.

10/25 - One more from the Aero-- the excellent South Korean director Lee Chang-Dong is in town to discuss a double feature of his most recent film BURNING (2018), which set the Cannes Film Festival on fire earlier this year (sorry), and his highly-regarded 2007 film SECRET SUNSHINE.

10/26 - Internationally renowned experimental filmmaker Robert Beavers will be in attendance at REDCAT for the program Recent Films by Robert Beavers: The Poetry of Living Space which will include five of his recent 16mm works, including PITCHER OF COLORED LIGHT (2007), cited as the second best experimental film of the 2000s in Film Comment’s poll of international critics.

PM me if you want me to add your email to the monthly mailing list!

pzadvance

Postby futurist » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:01 pm

thanks!!

futurist

Postby Coca Cola » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:49 pm

clwon wrote:

this is seriously a game changer

Not rly tho lol, as a drug addict I learned how easy it is to fly with all kinds of drugs on you. I guess if you need the peace of mind but TSA is def not looking for an eighth of bud

Coca Cola

Postby Brouhaha » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:10 pm

They tend to be pretty hands off with the elderly, I used to hide my drugs up my grandfather's butt
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby Birds vs Worms » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:39 pm

In line at Howlin' Rays right now, what are some other good places for fried chicken?

Birds vs Worms

Postby jalapeño ranch » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:12 pm

I'm addicted to the chicken sandwich at Beer Belly. I saw their IG mentioned they have an off the menu spicy chicken but I haven't tried it yet.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby Bad Craziness » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:22 pm

I used to live near Beer Belly and I went way too often to get their fried chicken and duck fat fries. it became a problem

Bad Craziness

Postby RAMBLIN MAN » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:23 pm

Rockbird in Glendale is pretty good.

RAMBLIN MAN

Postby joe » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:35 pm

i almost wish I hadn't discovered chimaek. that shit is so good but i inevitably drink and eat way too much

joe

Postby Barthes Starr » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:39 pm

what's the hipinion on zankou chicken

Barthes Starr

Postby sleigh » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:44 pm

dry, flavorless, and all around shitty
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
sleigh
ok

Postby Barthes Starr » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:52 pm

two friends since moving here have insisted i go asap!
where on the westside has cheap food that is moist, flavorful, and all around excellent

Barthes Starr

Postby nautical hyperblast » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Barthes Starr wrote:what's the hipinion on zankou chicken

decent falafel!

nautical hyperblast

Postby sleigh » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:46 pm

Barthes Starr wrote:two friends since moving here have insisted i go asap!
where on the westside has cheap food that is moist, flavorful, and all around excellent

hey trust them over me. i only went a couple times and had enough. could've been location-specific or some bad batches. can't help you with westside reccs though
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
sleigh
ok

Postby The Bee (from nature) » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:55 pm

Cmon zankou is good. Hyperblast, do you prefer the newish falafel flavor with the extra cinnamon and cardamom? I guess it's been like two years since they changed the recipie but I'm stuck in the past and think it's a bit overly floral.
Fear is an illusion!

The Bee (from nature)

Postby The Bee (from nature) » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:59 pm

The garlic spread is vegan last I checked, which is cool.
Fear is an illusion!

The Bee (from nature)

Postby deadwolfbones » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:32 am

death is my amigo wrote:dry, flavorless, and all around shitty

this is wrong
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:37 am

I dunno where you are in LA, but this place is similar and great: https://goo.gl/maps/Qa2vUhHpgUJ2
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby Barthes Starr » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:41 am

ok i will try zankou and decide for myself
and thanks deadwolfbones, but yeah that's like an hour away from me

Barthes Starr

Postby jalapeño ranch » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:43 am

Bad Craziness wrote:I used to live near Beer Belly and I went way too often to get their fried chicken and duck fat fries. it became a problem

This has been me for the past five years.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby Bad Craziness » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:54 am

the food is the best and worst part of living in LA because you can just end up spending like $25-35 on bars/restaurants/takeout every day and it's so damn good you don't realize you're ruining your life

Bad Craziness

Postby Brouhaha » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:58 am

deadwolfbones wrote:I dunno where you are in LA, but this place is similar and great: https://goo.gl/maps/Qa2vUhHpgUJ2

You can't be serious. This place is garbage, they premake everything, you get your food in less than 2 minutes. Taste is whatever. The cashier/owner's son is rude as fuck. Their yelp reviews are funny
make it mild

Brouhaha

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley