Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Bad Craziness » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Tetradyne wrote:I work at Pizzanista now! If anyone knows of any good art shows please dm me :)

pizzanista is the best

I went there way too often on my lunch breaks when I worked at Two Bit Circus

Bad Craziness

Postby pzadvance » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:17 pm

Tom Bergins has reopened!!

pzadvance

Postby futurist » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:25 pm

working in the arts district i spent way too much time at pizzanista and tony's

futurist

Postby jca » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:56 pm

anyone live in like little ethiopia/miracle mile and like it? im looking to move closer to work, so further west from koreatown. is palms/culver city cool?

jca

Postby Brouhaha » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:36 pm

make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby Brouhaha » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:36 pm

jca wrote:anyone live in like little ethiopia

i wish
make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby variegated reality » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:16 pm

pzadvance wrote:Tom Bergins has reopened!!

Did you go yet? This made me so happy when I saw the news. Hope they don't fuck it up

variegated reality

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:23 pm

Didn't even realize it shut down.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby animefilm » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:16 am

animefilm

Postby pzadvance » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:27 am

variegated reality wrote:

Did you go yet? This made me so happy when I saw the news. Hope they don't fuck it up

I just came back from it and went Monday night as well. They were packed tonight (Thursday) which is a great sign for them but it was tough getting service. seems like they haven't hired a waitstaff yet so you need to order food at the bar which is a struggle when it's as busy as it was tonight.

But it was really really great being back there with the fire roaring and the place all decked out for the holidays. menu is small but the food is good! have a lot of really fond memories of this place over the years so i hope its here to stay this time

pzadvance

Postby angel eyes » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:07 am

yeah i am personally boycotting this theater because i know some people who were victimized by the abusive work environment at Cinefamily. a shame because i loved the programming and the community space a lot and i miss it, but this new incarnation is not to be trusted

angel eyes

Postby animefilm » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:22 am

I'm curious to know why Uncut Gems was pulled, we don't know if it has anything to do with the Cinefamily lawsuit. Sammy Harkham was involved in creating the Uncut Gems A24 zine for the Safdie Brothers.

I did work at Harkham's Family Books, which is an art book shop also run entirely by unpaid volunteers. I wouldn't be surprised there was more money fraud going on, but without Hadrian's involvement it's hard to expect the Harkhams allowing a new environment of sexual harassment. I only met Sammy once, he really downplayed his involvment in Cinefamily "My family just owned the building and we rented it to them'', was essentially what he told me when I asked about the theater. Still, he was a very nice person when he came into the shop. He also mentioned he was trying to have more female voices on charge, and less of a ''bro'' culture that art house theaters have

animefilm

Postby variegated reality » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:30 am

pzadvance wrote:
variegated reality wrote:

I just came back from it and went Monday night as well. They were packed tonight (Thursday) which is a great sign for them but it was tough getting service. seems like they haven't hired a waitstaff yet so you need to order food at the bar which is a struggle when it's as busy as it was tonight.

But it was really really great being back there with the fire roaring and the place all decked out for the holidays. menu is small but the food is good! have a lot of really fond memories of this place over the years so i hope its here to stay this time

Well that's really nice to hear. I'm assuming the shamrocks are still up? I'm sure they'll work out the kinks.

variegated reality

Postby pzadvance » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:43 am

more former cinefamily employees speaking out against the harkhams and the new theater, fwiw
personally inclined to believe these people who have little to gain from sharing their personal experiences vs. the harkhams who are currently trying to launch a new theater and are openly downplaying their involvement w/cinefamily which strikes me as a marketing tactic

pzadvance

Postby port » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:15 am

I was there last week and stuffed my face with the Chicken and Waffles. It was amazing. I need the maple syrup forever.

port

Postby auspice » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:02 am

I'm heading to LAX in a few hours for a flight to JFK with a layover in Phoenix. I have a tin of cinnamon altoids that are gonna go in my checked bag. Hidden at the bottom of the tin under the cinnamon altoids are 20 CBD ginger mints (ratio is 5:1). I have basically nothing to worry about right? Those mints won't be visible unless security assigned to checked bags decides to open the tin and rifle through the mints.

Has anyone here gone through LAX with cannabis products before? These mints are enough for my time back home with family so I'm not bringing anything back into JFK with me.

auspice

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:07 am

you are way fine
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby auspice » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:16 am

Sissy Spacerock wrote:you are way fine

yeah especially since the weed mints are in the exact same shape as altoids so it won't look any different on the X ray

I just read through several articles on the legality of CBD and weed in general for LAX and it's extremely confusing so I got paranoid about doing this lol.

auspice

Postby angel eyes » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:44 am

pzadvance wrote:more former cinefamily employees speaking out against the harkhams and the new theater, fwiw
personally inclined to believe these people who have little to gain from sharing their personal experiences vs. the harkhams who are currently trying to launch a new theater and are openly downplaying their involvement w/cinefamily which strikes me as a marketing tactic

yup, Zena and Brendt rule, and Bret Berg quoted above also is a great guy. they're all nice and mild-mannered people who love film and have done a lot for the LA scene, and wouldn't complain unless something were seriously wrong, so i urge anyone reading this to take their words seriously and boycott the Fairfax if at all possible!

angel eyes

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:15 pm

What's the best Ethiopian place is LA. I'll be out there for a week during the holidays and there's none in ABQ. I'm from the DC area where there's a ton and I'm craving it hard.

That Demon Life

Postby angel eyes » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:17 pm

there's many i haven't tried but i've had several great experiences at Merkato in Little Ethiopia

angel eyes

Postby Barthes Starr » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:33 pm

That Demon Life wrote:What's the best Ethiopian place is LA. I'll be out there for a week during the holidays and there's none in ABQ. I'm from the DC area where there's a ton and I'm craving it hard.

Meals by Genet is one of the more popular spots i guess, but haven't eaten there myself

some ethiopian friends recently took me to their fav hole in the wall called Awash and i really enjoyed it!
https://www.yelp.com/biz/awash-restaurant-los-angeles

Barthes Starr

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:58 pm

Awesome. Thanks guys. Awash is the one I was eyeing.

That Demon Life

Postby angel eyes » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:22 pm

Awash looks soooo good, i want to try it next!

angel eyes

Postby Brouhaha » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:42 pm

I used to go to Rahel a lot, it's all veg and all you can eat still I think, been a while though
make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby Brouhaha » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:01 pm

this recently opened in pasadena, I didn't have my debit card on me when I went so I only got a tamale, I'll go back and try a sandwich soon

make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby Brouhaha » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:40 pm

Pasadena is crushin it lately, this coffeeshop just opened and is all plant based. they had like 6 different pastries today, I got a cookie and was expecting them to charge me a ridiculous $4-5 but it was just $2 and pretty good. they're located directly across from the ipic theater inside the same square as Sage

make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby LaAbeja » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:47 pm

Wow so new cinefamily just straight in the shitheap right out the gate huh
Fear is an illusion!

LaAbeja

Postby Tetradyne » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:30 am

Anyone looking for a roomie? Or know if anything? My coworkers just told me to drive around cypress park and Lincoln heights looking for rent signs. Bombing Zillow and Craigslist. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Tetradyne

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....