Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby drudge » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:57 pm

hey, thanks!

the stuff from 2015 was from a different trip and are all using the fuji xe2. i brought the xe2 and a newer xt2 this last time around. most of the wide angle shots are the xt2 and the closer detail stuff are taken by my wife using the xe2.

the biggest advantages of the new camera for me were the high ISOs allowing for shots in lower light (don't travel with a tripod), and the iso controls being a physical knob on top for quick adjustment. it's super easy to shoot full manual on the xt2 essentially. if i ever do a trip specifically for photography i'll bring a collapsable tripod and a polarizing filter. the one thing that tripods are great for that i hadn't considered until recently is getting shots without people in them. with super long exposures it doesn't matter if people walk through the frame as long as they don't stay in one place too long.
Last edited by drudge on Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perhaps at some point i was an energy vampire

drudge

Postby drudge » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:40 pm

asakusa - nakamise

we arrived very late to asakusa in tokyo that night. the walk from asakusa station to our hostel took us down nakamise to sensoji temple, a very popular buddhist temple built in the 7th century.

nakamise is a shopping street that has been providing local temple visitors with a variety of traditional snacks and tourist souvenirs for centuries. it was interesting to see it at night with all of the booth gates closed. i had no idea there were such amazing murals on the gates, you never see them shopping or walking through during the day.

drudge

Postby Buddy Knox » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:57 pm

Very cool. I think I was there around the same time you were, drudge. In the past I've done the touristy stuff during the day when there are huge crowds but the atmosphere is very different at night

You're a much better photographer than me though

There was a really awesome view of the Tokyo Skytree from Asakusa but I didn't think to take any pictures of it

Buddy Knox

Postby drudge » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:06 pm

nice!! thanks for sharing those!

was just wishing i had more pictures of the sidestreets that circle that area or the little amusement park that was across from our hostel. goal next time i go is to capture more everyday life stuff and less "here's the image everyone takes at this place" stuff

drudge

Postby drudge » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:17 pm

asakusa - sensoji

speaking of day vs night... ended up with a decent comparison as we went back through the following morning. grabbed some taiyaki with red bean and got interviewed about pen pineapple apple pen by some tv network. pretty sure i'll never find the video though, assuming they ever aired it.

drudge

Postby hoopdog » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:26 pm

i love this thread

hoopdog
thread skimmer

Postby cam'ron hubbard » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:32 pm

thanks, i take all credit for starting this thread and all contents contained within. it's nice to have your hard work appreciated.
Mild High Basketball

cam'ron hubbard
ok

Postby drudge » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:24 pm

shinjuku

the tokyo metropolitan government building in shinjuku is often visited by tourists for its free observation decks which provide good panoramic views of tokyo and beyond. the building has two towers, and each houses an observatory at a height of 202 meters. it had been the tallest building in tokyo until it was overtaken by the midtown tower in 2007. we walked the mile or so entirely underground in what started as the subway platform, slowly turning into more of a mall vibe and eventually full concrete parking structure as tunnel.

drudge

Postby drudge » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:27 am

someone mentioned nakano broadway in the japan thread and it reminded me i have a few more to post in here.

nakano broadway

drudge

Postby drudge » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:03 pm

akihabara

drudge

Postby Celiac » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:06 pm

Absolutely amazing thread
mcwop23 wrote:i love my team (the knicks)

Celiac

Postby drudge » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:09 pm

shibuya

drudge

Postby Buddy Knox » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:43 pm

drudge wrote:Image

I love these so much.

Buddy Knox

Postby drudge » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:44 pm

shibuya pt. 2

my favorite place in tokyo is in one of these pictures. also the cheapest sushi we ate in tokyo

drudge

Postby gauchebag » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:46 pm

what's the cheap sushi place called? that's all the last images? i'm going december 21 - january 1 and starting to compile recs
bruce1: fucking, fighting, i'm the one with gun

gauchebag

Postby drudge » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:49 pm

that's genki sushi
Address: 24-8 Udagawacho, Shibuya City, Tokyo 150-0042, Japan

drudge

Postby deadbass » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:50 pm

Lion Cafe :)

deadbass

Postby gauchebag » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:52 pm

drudge wrote:that's genki sushi
Address: 24-8 Udagawacho, Shibuya City, Tokyo 150-0042, Japan

thanks man. just starting to face all the reality/logistic things like using my credit cards, getting cash, making sure i'll be able to use my phone. don't even have a real plan yet in terms of how many days where. also i really don't speak any japanese at all outside of konnichiwa origato gozaimasu sayonara "chase des" (my name is chase)

i was figuring 23-24-25 Tokyo, 26-27-28 side trip (Kyoto? Osaka? elsewhere), 29-30-31 different neighborhood in Tokyo

have no idea where in tokyo i want to stay but will book in two separate neighborhoods for the two different legs

gauchebag

Postby drudge » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:59 pm

tsukiji

went back to tsukiji one last time before everything relocated to toyosu and waited in line for 3 hours in the 5am rain for sushi dai. best i've ever had. the mackerel and spanish mackerel were amazing.

drudge

Postby gauchebag » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:03 pm

wow that uni and ikura looks great. definitely need to check that market out. edit:or the new one i see

gauchebag

Postby shizaam » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:04 pm

if you ever get back to kyoto, Otagi Nenbutsuji temple is wonderful and almost completely empty. a short cab ride from Arashiyama that's totally worth it
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Otagi ... DnoECAoQCA

shizaam

Postby shizaam » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:06 pm

drudge wrote:hey, thanks!

the stuff from 2015 was from a different trip and are all using the fuji xe2. i brought the xe2 and a newer xt2 this last time around. most of the wide angle shots are the xt2 and the closer detail stuff are my wife using the xe2.

how do you like that xe2 form factor? I've got an xt2, but i find myself grabbing my x100f all the time instead

shizaam

Postby drudge » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:14 pm

it's significantly smaller. i like it a lot for travel. i wouldn't use it over the xt2 for anything else probably. with the xe2 it's a bit more annoying to have full manual control given you don't have an iso knob. auto iso can be really annoying because it doesn't give you control over exposure. would never want to go back from the full manual the xt2 allows.
Last edited by drudge on Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drudge

Postby drudge » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:28 pm

deadbass wrote:Lion Cafe :)

:D

drudge

Postby drudge » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:00 pm

gotokuji

on this trip we went to gotokuji temple. it's a bit of a trip out of tokyo in the middle of low key residential neighborhoods and coffee shops. we bought a maneki neko for our cat of course. there is a large, old cemetery on the grounds as well.

legend has it that during the edo period, the final era of traditional japanese government, a cat under the care of a priest at gotokuji temple led a feudal lord to safety during a thunderstorm. the cat beckoned the lord and his servants inside with a waving gesture—hence all maneki-neko statues have one paw raised. the lord enjoyed tea with the priest while the thunderstorm raged outside. to express his thanks afterward, he donated rice and land and selected gotokuji temple as the cemetery for his prestigious family.

Last edited by drudge on Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

drudge

Postby medicore bob dole gimmick » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:01 pm

wow, just saw the whole thread, amazing job

medicore bob dole gimmick

Postby drudge » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:55 am

asakusa nekoen

went back to asakusa nekoen. it's more of a cat playground with drinks than a cafe with cats. most of the cats are fosters but a couple are permanent and are the same cats we saw back in 2014. some of the new cats had just been spayed and had to be enclosed while healing.

drudge

Postby Conetoaster » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:58 am

I am obssessed with the tiny shop at the bottom of the street with lion cafe on it that just sells vintage perfume and aftershave.

It is just full of amazing bottles and the designs are soo good.

Conetoaster

Postby dusky » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:22 pm

pretty insecure about posting pictures in the same thread as drudge's. i have a terrible eye and am just snapping on my phone like a dingus.. so these are at least for the sake of documentation i guess!

pt 1

Nagoya
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Takayama/Hida/Shirakawa

kanazawa / osaka / koyasan / kobe either later today or tomo

dusky

Postby dusky » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:31 pm

Kanazawa

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Osaka

dusky

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....