Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby drudge » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:57 pm

thanks! i was curious where i took that so i found it on google maps
you can go inside the building on the far right in the image!

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.008285, ... 312!8i6656
perhaps at some point i was an energy vampire

drudge

Postby drudge » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:03 am

kyoto pt 3

arashiyama

arashiyama is a town the far west of kyoto, tucked along the base of the arashiyama mountains. probably its biggest claim to fame (and one of the most photographed sights in japan) is the sagano bamboo forest. its small windy paths flanked by tall bamboo on either side create an otherworldly atmosphere that feels calm and peaceful no matter how busy it gets. the thick bamboo sways in the wind, creating a sound i've never heard anywhere else.

in the 8th century, aristocrats often came to this area of rice fields and bamboo woods to enjoy the colored leaves, or to go boating. arashiyama's landscape today is still reminiscent of that period. in the summer months, traditional cormorant fishing is a unique interest of the region.

drudge

Postby drudge » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:06 am

kyoto pt 3

arashiyama cont.

counted among kyoto's five great zen temples, tenryuji temple is the largest and most impressive temple in arashiyama. founded in 1339 at the beginning of the muromachi period, the temple is one of kyoto's many UNESCO world heritage sites. in addition to its temple buildings, there are attractive gardens with walking paths that have existed in arashiyama since the 1400s. tenryuji's buildings were repeatedly lost in fires and wars over the centuries, and most of the current halls, including the main hall, drawing hall and temple kitchen, date from the relatively recent meiji period.

drudge

Postby lockheed » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:48 am

gorgeous pictures dude
Nice day if it doesn't rain.

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby drudge » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:34 pm

thanks man! was actually really tough getting the mossy garden to look as serene as it felt. we got to arashiyama really early and it was a beautiful day.
i should note it's usually packed in among the bamboo by midday. we learned to expect crowds at all the popular spots, but you can usually get in one crowd free stop a day by going early.

drudge

Postby dusky » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:44 pm

drudge, did you make it to Jojakkoji Temple? looks like you were really close by. that was one of my favorite sites in Kyoto.

i felt like i had a lot of trouble capturing the true feel of places like this as well, however i think you did a great job. i'm impressed with how many shots you were able to get without anyone else in them. part of what was so great about Jojakkoji was that it was relatively empty. when i visited most of the sites it kind of felt like walking through an amusement park.
Last edited by dusky on Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dusky

Postby dusky » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:48 pm

ps - my pm is busted atm

dusky

Postby drudge » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:22 pm

kyoto pt 3

arashiyama cont.

a half hour hike uphill from the station, arashiyama visitors will find iwatayama monkey park. overlooking the city, over 170 monkeys live in the park. while the monkeys are wild, they have become accustomed to humans. at the summit is a fenced enclosure where you can feed the monkeys. despite the monkey rules, they were actually pretty chill.

the monkey rules are:
1) don't stare at the monkeys
2) don't touch the monkeys
3) don't feed them outside

drudge

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:55 am

Great pictures, I love that these places exist.

Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby Timothy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:09 am

man i would have touched that monkey for sure
stump a dunce or debauch a dauphin
Timothy
ok

Postby drudge » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:28 am

thanks. having somewhere to share these gives me motivation to get the editing done!

drudge

Postby drudge » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:38 am

kyoto pt 4

fushimi inari shrine

we stopped by fushimi inari on our way to osaka. it was a much nicer day, so i've got a few more pictures to share than last time. it was as crowded as ever.

drudge wrote:
walk around 1
walk around 2

fushimi inari is a vast shrine complex consisting of a seemingly endless arcade of vermilion torii gates (10,000+) winding up a thickly wooded mountain, and one of the most impressive and memorable sights in kyoto. dedicated to the gods of rice and sake, the shrine was founded by clan of immigrant korean farmers in 711 who donated some of their lands to the imperial family. the shrine received imperial rank through its association with kukai, founder of the imperially-favored shingon sect of buddhism.

at this time, rice served as a primary form of currency, and was collected as taxation by local lords. it was common for farmers to visit inari shrines to ensure a strong year's harvest. with the rise of the merchant class in the peaceful and prosperous edo period, the idea of the harvest was extended to include the annual cycle of any business. inari shrines became the most important place in japan for shop owners, merchants, and traders to offer prayers for success and increased prosperity.

today, a majority of the countless torii that crisscross the mountain are purchased by businesses, organizations and individuals. the patron's name and the date are painted in black on the gate. the ingenious combination of religion and marketing feels oddly appropriate for what has become an iconic representation of japan's enterprising, global economy. depending on size and location, the cost of a torii can range from $2,000 - $7,000; those in damper sites deteriorate quickly and must be replaced every 5 or 6 years.

drudge

Postby jca » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:07 am

thanks for these drudge, this last leg is my favorite part of kyoto. that monkey mountain is really fun and it's pretty surreal to read the signs--which are kind of intimidating!--not see any monkeys, turn a cathill and almost walk over this chubby monkey sitting in the middle of the path, and not know if they're going to like freak if you make eye contact. but they are so chill. we had a cool moment where the caretakers threw some snacks in the yard and the visitors were surrounded by ~30 monkeys.
and fushimi inari is just so pretty and striking. there are some paths through bamboo forests that run parallel and above the gates that give a neat perspective

jca

Postby drudge » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:28 pm

definitely agree, though there's still a lot of kyoto i haven't seen yet. we went back to the manga museum, but no pictures this time.
it's crazy how dark it is seemingly at all times of day walking through the gates in the forest.

drudge

Postby drudge » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:33 pm

osaka

it may just be me, but it felt like osaka had not changed much in the two years since my last visit. osaka is my favorite place to walk around at night. it rained.

drudge

Postby quinine » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:18 pm

^ damn that's a sweet crab
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself

quinine
ok

Postby dusky » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:04 pm

Osaka is a contender for my favorite city

dusky

Postby R C » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:45 pm

one of the best threads
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."

R C

Postby drudge » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:09 am

i'll post more in here soon!

drudge

Postby drudge » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:43 pm

nagoya to takayama

from osaka we took a detour to takayama. first this involves taking a bullet train back towards tokyo and getting off halfway there at nagoya for a connection. the area around nagoya has a lot of beautiful farming that i would love to explore on a bike one day. such big skies and gentle hills.

the train from nagoya due north into gifu prefecture and ultimately to takayama is called the hida wide view. it travels much slower and has big, wide windows to enjoy the scenery. the hida wide view pulls out of nagoya headed backwards which feels awkward, but this is only for the first 20 minutes or so. all of the below were shot from the train with the exception of the final image, which was taken upon arrival in takayama's hida folk village.

drudge

Postby dusky » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:18 pm

that last one is doing it so good for me

somehow i had missed the parade photos on the last page

R C wrote:one of the best threads

dusky

Postby drudge » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:39 pm

gokayama, a world heritage site in the same region, is an entire village of those houses still in active use. high on my list to visit this winter!

btw y'all feel free to throw some more posts in here don't want too many images per page

drudge

Postby jca » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:13 pm

i really love osaka when it rains. the droplets get really bright and everything is slick and shiny. ahh best place

jca

Postby drudge » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:37 pm

takayama

takayama is one of my favorite places. dream of living here eventually!! have a post coming up about the fall festival so for now just some pictures of the big skies, sake breweries, and local beer. had the best beef nigiri of my life this trip.

drudge

Postby drudge » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:45 pm

this is momo. she lives in takayama and her name means peach. she's the best.

drudge

Postby drudge » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:07 pm

takayama matsuri

dating from the 16th century, takayama's bi-annual festival is one of the three largest in japan, and one of the most highly regarded. it is held twice a year, in spring and autumn, in the old town of takayama. it attracts very large numbers of national spectators, and a good number of international as well. we attended the fall festival in mid october.

aside from the main festival processions, a large number of street food vendors set up along the water and down the main thoroughfares.grilled corn, chocolate dipped bananas, okonomiyaki, takoyaki, garlic fries.. all the street food staples are here in abundance. it's glorious. from morning to late afternoon, the festival floats are brought from their wooden storehouses and displayed in the streets in advance of the evening procession.

for anyone interested in the floats, there are pictures from the exhibition hall back on page 2.

drudge

Postby cam'ron hubbard » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:30 pm

i want a momo
Mild High Basketball

cam'ron hubbard
ok

Postby drudge » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:03 pm

takayama matsuri pt 2

the fall festival is referred to as the hachiman festival, and is held after the crops are harvested. the floats date back to the 17th century, and are decorated with intricate carvings of gilded wood and detailed metal-work, similar in style to art from kyoto during the late 1500s.

as evening falls, as many as 100 chochin lanterns are lit on each of the floats. weighing thousands of pounds each, the floats are wheeled by hand using long ropes. additional entertainment is provided by local residents playing instruments or waving from atop or inside the floats. each float's design, embellishment, and accompanying entertainers reflect the district in takayama that it has been constructed to represent.

drudge

Postby drudge » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:11 pm

takayama matsuri pt 3

drudge

Postby R C » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:21 pm

what camera are you using for these? pics are unreal
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."

R C

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....