Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby cam'ron hubbard » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:36 pm

Last edited by cam'ron hubbard on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mild High Basketball

cam'ron hubbard
ok

Postby drudge » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:08 pm

ok here we go. going to do this a bit at a time and probably chronological.

tsukiji fish market

there was a holiday the following day so we had to go the first morning after arriving. they dislike tourists because they never buy anything and are in the way. probably the most likely place in tokyo to get run over by industrial equipment, but also some of the best low cost sushi in town. there is an area specifically for fruit and vegetables that smells amazing, and some spots in the back that are just huge piles of cardboard boxes. the whole area used to be under water (reclaimed land), and the shrines in the area also have nautical themes (protection from waves, etc.) there are lots of little gravestones dedicated to fish as a way to atone for all the fish killed in the area every day.

perhaps at some point i was an energy vampire

drudge

Postby prexy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:38 pm

yes!
“Good seltzer should hurt,” reads the back of Brooklyn Seltzer Boys’ t-shirts

prexy

Postby adamtrask » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:08 pm

shit, dude, awesome
Stuntman wrote:The party's over and we're just the people who are too drunk to drive home and everyone is fighting over who gets to sleep on the couch.

adamtrask
funny boy #1

Postby drudge » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:34 pm

ginza / matsuzakaya department store

ginza is one of the big, expensive shopping districts in tokyo. it probably has the most high end shopping with lots of import brands (gucci, armani, etc). the biggest uniqlo location is also in ginza (12 floors). overall, unless you want to spend a lot of money, there are better places in tokyo to shop. the best part of this area for me were the department stores, which are one of my favorite things about japan. you have all the standard stuff, but there are usually 2 basement floors dedicated to food and groceries. there is a huge variety of food for sale, and about half of one whole floor is generally dedicated to sweets. famous european shops all have branches here that sell elaborate pastries and macaroons. one thing we spotted but didn't have a chance to try on the grocery floor was red and white sparkling tea, at about $90 a bottle. they caught me taking pictures a few times and eventually i gave up, so not too many here. some of the fruit in the second to last shot below were $30 each.

Last edited by drudge on Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drudge

Postby PROBLEMATIC » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:36 pm

goddamn... look at those fruits
meet me here

Debbie wrote:gang bang thank you mang

PROBLEMATIC
clown is my friend

Postby drudge » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:38 pm

calling out snowcones and bananafish who were also recently in japan. bring it bitches

drudge

Postby drudge » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:26 pm

imperial palace

the imperial palace grounds are a wide expanse of park land and manufactured moats set relatively centrally within tokyo. walking from the city at large into an area devoid of tall buildings gives it a weird feeling of flatness that is a bit like looking at a large body of water. most of the parks and other green areas within tokyo were closed during my trip due to about 150 people catching denge fever from mosquitoes in and around yoyogi park, but we walked around a bit anyway where it wasn't blocked off. the palace itself was inaccessible but there were a lot of tourists congregated outside taking phone pictures with selfie poles. it seems to be a popular spot for organized groups from china, we saw two or three groups of 30+ people following guides holding flags.

drudge

Postby Merciel » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:33 pm

Great thread.

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby drudge » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:43 pm

tokyo skytree

tokyo skytree is a recently completed tower on the north end of tokyo. it is currently the tallest tower in the world, and second tallest structure. at the base is a gigantic mall complex, and the lines to go up can get very long. it was a holiday when we were there, so it was packed. the take-away was that if you want to go up, make sure to get there early. even though it is a bit too far north to see the most famous parts of town, it was a very cool perspective on tokyo. it was interesting to see how marked up the roads are in japan, and how it looks freshly painted pretty much everywhere you go.

Last edited by drudge on Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

drudge

Postby hologram » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:46 pm

:shock:

hologram
acid casualty

Postby Jerome » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:57 pm

this rules. love Tokyo. incredible photos.

Jerome

Postby blues » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:05 pm

HELL yeah
blues

Postby drudge » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:07 pm

i forgot this one. there was an area of the floor made of glass that you could stand on. a lot of people would go on it and jump somewhat hesitantly. the kids loved the jumping. i remember this japanese couple were standing on it when i got there with a 2 or 3 year old. they couldn't convince him to get on and he started to get upset so they left. i still had my 85mm lens on so this is a zoomed in version of how it actually looked.

drudge

Postby black mamba » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:32 pm

i think its safe to say this time its good to drudge up the past

black mamba
ok

Postby drudge » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:37 pm

asakusa

asakusa is right across the river to the west of skytree, more close to due north, as skytree is more north-east. sensoji is tokyo's largest buddhist temple, and is a pretty big attraction even for locals. the day we went was the autumn equinox, which is both a holiday and a day where it is very common to go to temples and shrines. (you generally find buddhist temples and shinto shrines together in the same location, and they seem to have built a symbiotic relationship.) one of the locals i spoke to about it explained that shinto takes care of life (weddings, ceremonies of school achievements, etc) and buddhism death.

though it was packed, there were street vendors all along the thoroughfare selling street food that i don't think hang around on a normal weekday. i burned my mouth on some takoyaki.

one thing i began to notice about the japanese language that i hadn't taken away from studying it in the states was the way longer words get slightly slurred together and therefore abbreviated in day to day speech. one example is sumimasen, which i heard much more often as sumasen (light version of i'm sorry and often used as excuse me). in this case, most people refer to asakusa as asaksa.

i guess i should also mention here that the first couple weeks of our trip were with a group of people. some of the pictures below are of the tokyo guide, hideki. he went by charlie, which he said was a nickname his wife gave him. something to do with snoopy. he was super knowledgeable and really humble about it. he commutes to tokyo by train from about 1.5 hrs away to the east towards narita. we commiserated about our long commutes and he made jokes about being bald.

the guy in the second shot below was right outside the asakusa subway exit, and was playing k-pop on a little stereo and drumming along on a piece of styrofoam. i wish i had a chance to talk to him but i was perpetually getting left behind the group while trying to take pictures.

drudge

Postby blues » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:38 pm

ive only been in mori tower but those are some pretty crazy (albeit well documented) views as well

edit: sorry i don't know why imgur is fucking with me so much on this photo
blues

Postby drudge » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:59 pm

cat cafe asakusa nekoen

after the temple and some food we were free for the day, and read that there was a cat cafe in asakusa so decided to go there next. it ended up being more of an apartment full of cats with a small glass doored refrigerator full of drinks that you could buy for a couple bucks. it was $3 or something to enter. the owner, who lived in one of the other apartments in the building, said that most of the cats (there were about 15 or 16) began as strays. i told her i would send her any pictures that came out well. all of the cats were super affectionate, and the younger ones loved to play. there was a teenage couple there when we arrived who looked parked for the day, and an older women came by later on that from the way she was talking to the owner was a very frequent regular.

drudge

Postby blues » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:04 pm

yeah those look like some good cats
blues

Postby cam'ron hubbard » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:04 pm

MORE. I WILL NOT BE SATIATED.
Mild High Basketball

cam'ron hubbard
ok

Postby Bananafish » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:34 pm

drudge wrote:calling out snowcones and bananafish who were also recently in japan. bring it bitches

i wish! perhaps you're thinking of another boarder. but i'm dying to get over there. great pics. score any records?

Bananafish

Postby Polygraph Shakira » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:06 pm

those skytree shots are very dope
isobel wrote:im so smart because my head wasnt crushed at birth

Polygraph Shakira
the groosalugg

Postby Permafrost » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:12 pm

nice pics user drudgerrr!
pics of the tokyo sprawl taken from high rises always make my head spin
did you get to the suntory distillery?

Permafrost

Postby drudge » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:48 pm

akihabara

when we were set loose in asakusa, a lot of the other group members had prearranged to go to a sumo match and some others went to a baseball game. it ended up that my wife and i were accompanied by this old brit in his 60s who was travelling alone and who we already had an affinity for. though we hadn't heard most of his stories at the time, the overview is that he was a heavily tattooed anarchist in his youth and ended up a single father and stay at home dad for 20+ years. these days he travels all over, mostly alone, and is pretty into anime. since the tour only contained a couple days in tokyo (we came back on our own later), we decided to make sure he got over to akihabara before we left town.

akihabara is pretty commonly referred to as electric town due to the large number of best-buy resembling electronics stores in the area (along with a lot of smaller shops selling specialty stuff like fan motors, power adaptors, neon, cameras...). these days it's equally well known for arcades, manga, and anime, and is focused primarily toward the male demographic. maid cafes are big in this area, and there are a lot of teenage girls dressed in character handing out fliers.

we went in two of the big arcades. the general layout was the same at both sega and teito, with claw grabber machines on the lower levels and sit-down games higher up. we also stopped by animate, a multi level store selling various anime related figures, plushes, and such. the whole area felt less polished than shinjuku, harajuku, and shibuya, but i also got the sense that a lot of the people were here out of genuine enthusiasm rather than to be seen.

drudge

Postby drudge » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:49 pm

thx perma yeah we did, quite a bit later on. tried the yamazaki 25 and hibiki 30 yr...crazy

drudge

Postby Paul » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:10 pm

incredible pictures Drudge. I love the arcade ones a lot.
This is my Instagram

Milk wrote:I never have sex OR vacations.

lordofdiapers wrote:Paul is worthy

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby quinine » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:18 am

here's a few of mine from 2009

Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself

quinine
ok

Postby helen just » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:18 am

oh god i think i actually went to that cat cafe a couple years ago, was the big white guy called ryo or something?
helen just

Postby you're a fucking great guy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:05 am

hm that;s a big kfc
you're a fucking great guy

Postby Jerome » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:54 pm

love all the photos but the akihabara ones really bring me back to an epic day i spent there last december

Jerome

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....