Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby walt whitman » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:55 pm

visiting for a few days with GF in december, mainly for the art scene which seems to be up-and-coming over the past few years. she wants to hit up Frida's house, I want to see some cool shit galleries and venues. afterward, we gonna hit the beach somewhere else in the country.

any Mexico City recommendations? neighborhoods to visit or avoid? survival tips?
walt whitman

Postby Denise » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:56 pm

definitely get kidnapped it fucking rules
Denise

Postby Poptone » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:57 pm

Poptone
cat fan

Postby walt whitman » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:58 pm

goddamnit
walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:58 pm

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:definitely get kidnapped it fucking rules

I'm not sure I could if I tried
walt whitman

Postby Poptone » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:59 pm

walt whitman wrote:goddamnit

you're right, i should've gone with the acoustic solo version with Tim Reynolds
Poptone
cat fan

Postby big zorb » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:00 pm

Mexico City fucking rules
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby big zorb » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:01 pm

La Condesa and La Roma are the "hip" neighborhoods, but Coyoacan has a ton of the historical art/culture stuff (it's where Frida's house is, and Trotsky's)
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby big zorb » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:01 pm

If you really want I can write some shit out this afternoon, but I am being totally serious when I say Mexico City is incredible.
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby walt whitman » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:02 pm

nice,
White Hipster Fag !
walt whitman

Postby big zorb » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:02 pm

Where are you staying?
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby walt whitman » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:04 pm

yes! share more!
any thoughts with public transit would be great, too.
we will prob do hostel or airbnb for lodging. less travel around the city the better.
this is like the world's biggest city right? jesus fuck, can't wait.
walt whitman

Postby transitive » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:15 pm

My parents lived there for a total of about six years and I spent summers and winter breaks with them.

If you're going to Frida Kahlo's house, you'll be in Coyoacan, which is at the way south part of the city. It's a cool neighborhood to walk around and you should check out the square, the markets. I think the Contemporary Museum is there, but it's at the very, very southern part of the neighborhood, past the UNAM campus which is a city onto itself. It's worth checking out.

You'll also be close to Xochimilco, and you can do the whole rent a boat and float around and eat thing which is fun. You can also check out the Delores Olmedo museum which is basically her mansion with lots of Diego Rivera art and peacocks.

You should definitely visit the National Palace and take in the Diego Rivera murals. They are staggering. You can also visit the Carrillo-Gil and Preperatoria to see the Orozco's. Siqueiros has murals all over the UNAM campus which are very cool.

Neighborhoods to check out: Coyoacan, as mentioned. Polanco is basically the Upper East Side of DF and is nice to walk around for it's cafes and shops. Condesa is/was the "cool" neighborhood, a little more artsy than Polanco. Fun to walk around.

In general: eat everything; drink only bottled water and if you get a beverage with ice, check to see if the ice is from filtered water; get cabs at cab stands, not on the street (a lot of kidnappings occur when cabs are hailed off the street; better to find the cab stand where it's very public); the subway is good, but be careful about where you take it too; only ride a pesero if you want to know what death might feel like the moment before it happens; don't be a tourist
Last edited by transitive on Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
transitive

Postby transitive » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:16 pm

walt whitman wrote:yes! share more!
any thoughts with public transit would be great, too.
we will prob do hostel or airbnb for lodging. less travel around the city the better.
this is like the world's biggest city right? jesus fuck, can't wait.

Yeah, if you are relying on cabs, be prepared to sit in traffic for a long time, followed by driving the really stretches the boundaries of driving.
transitive

Postby joe » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:18 pm

In 2011, I stayed here: http://www.hostels.com/hostels/mexico-c ... nchor=p881

Near the historic city center. Met up with some friends who were living there, but otherwise just walked around. Never had any issue on the metro system. Took me to the airport, from the bus station, to a different bus station so I could go see pyramids. The Anthropology museum is amazing and can take a full day if you are into museums. Don't remember any of the specific cool places we went because I was guided by locals. Drink Pulque.
Last edited by joe on Tue Sep 11, 2001 4:20 am, edited 69 times in total.
joe

Postby big zorb » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:26 pm

Okay.

I was there by myself for 10 days this June so I just did whatever I wanted all the time, and it was the World Cup so it ruled. There is good food everywhere. A personal favorite taco spot is Tacos Gus--there are, I think, two locations, but I would recommend the one in La Condesa. Any fonda you see, you'll eat well (and cheap as hell) in. There are some legitimately great haute cuisine restaurants in Mexico City, but frankly, I ate a shitload of street food so you'll probably want to ask someone else about the nice places. If you're on the street, just go to a cart and order some shit that looks good, whether it's a huarache, torta, cemita, pambazo, taco, quesadilla, whatever. Definitely have some squash blossom if you can. If you're into food markets, definitely visit Mercado San Juan in the Colonia Centro, it's incredible. It's also right by the Zocalo, which is the giant plaza in the center of the city, abutted by the Presidential palace and the city cathedral and there are museums everywhere there, so you'll probably be by it.

As far as transit goes, definitely, definitely take the metro. There's a train every minute, it's convenient. A single ride with unlimited transfers costs you $0.37 (5 pesos). I took cabs when exhausted from walking, which were also fairly affordable, but it's hard to not just spend $0.37 instead and put that money toward a fuck ton of tacos. One thing to keep in mind is that each neighborhood in Mexico City is fucking huge, and there's only 1-2 stops per neighborhood, so you might have to walk like 10 blocks after getting off the train.

Let's see. Hostels. Yeah, I stayed in a hostel in La Condesa that was by a bunch of shops/restaurants/a metro stop. It cost me $20 a night for my own private room. I can post further on that if you want but I don't know where you want to be. Let me say it was a good hostel, clean and well-located.

Pyramids are worth it. Like I said, I had 10 days and I didn't go until late in the trip, but it was incredible and not at all some boring touristy thing. But if you do go, pack a picnic because the restaurants around there suck and will rip you off. Just get some stuff from any local market, it'll be good and you'll be happy eating in the shadows of the pyramids.

Everyone knows about mezcal and there is some great shit there but if you're in some little fonda, ask for sotol or racilla, they're both incredible, underrated boozes. Walking up La Reforma from the Bosque de Chapultepec (which you should also visit if you like urban parks) to the Centro area is a good way to kind of marvel at how fucking EVERYTHING this city is. If you want a weird night out, go to Club Patrick Miller in La Roma, full of incredibly good dancers and weird dance music. Hang out at Parque Mexico for a bit one day and then walk the Avenida Amsterdam. I guess a nice upscale-ish place near that park is Rojo Bistrot, pretty goddamn good.

Let me know if you want to know anything else, sorry if this is scattered.
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby big zorb » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:26 pm

transitive wrote:My parents lived there for a total of about six years and I spent summers and winter breaks with them.

If you're going to Frida Kahlo's house, you'll be in Coyoacan, which is at the way south part of the city. It's a cool neighborhood to walk around and you should check out the square, the markets. I think the Contemporary Museum is there, but it's at the very, very southern part of the neighborhood, past the UNAM campus which is a city onto itself. It's worth checking out.

You'll also be close to Xochimilco, and you can do the whole rent a boat and float around and eat thing which is fun. You can also check out the Delores Olmedo museum which is basically her mansion with lots of Diego Rivera art and peacocks.

You should definitely visit the National Palace and take in the Diego Rivera murals. They are staggering. You can also visit the Carrillo-Gil and Preperatoria to see the Orozco's. Siqueiros has murals all over the UNAM campus which are very cool.

Neighborhoods to check out: Coyoacan, as mentioned. Polanco is basically the Upper East Side of DF and is nice to walk around for it's cafes and shops. Condesa is/was the "cool" neighborhood, a little more artsy than Polanco. Fun to walk around.

In general: eat everything; drink only bottled water and if you get a beverage with ice, check to see if the ice is from filtered water; get cabs at cab stands, not on the street (a lot of kidnappings occur when cabs are hailed off the street; better to find the cab stand where it's very public); the subway is good, but be careful about where you take it too; only ride a pesero if you want to know what death might feel like the moment before it happens; don't be a tourist

Yeah, definitely go to Xochimilco
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby big zorb » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:28 pm

For what it's worth I was alone and never felt unsafe but obviously bad shit can happen to you. I was with a girl one night and she just hailed a cab off the street and we weren't murdered but you should probably get them from the cab stand. I also drank the water from the tap there and never felt sick but I think I just got lucky on both these counts.
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby walt whitman » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:29 pm

these are great; thank-you.
the anthro museum was on my list, i'll def be looking into that.
but, language-wise, should i bother using my terrible broken spanglish on locals and such? i would try to do this with german in berlin and in german-speaking europe and it never seemed to work, people just spoke english at me. seems like mileage may vary. i also am not sure whether mexican spanish (urban, mexico-city spanish) differs a great deal from peninsular spanish which we were all taught in high school and college. is that an issue?
walt whitman

Postby seriesfinale » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:40 pm

Been trying to get my wife down to DF for several years and she's scared shitless. A really rich Mexican senior citizen we met while living in SF filled her head with tales of kidnappings there. We've spent a lot of time up and down the Pacific side from the usual Baja suspects, towards Acapulco, off-the-beaten-path on the roads and in little towns, once poking around areas in and outside Mazatlan which were in full-on narco warfare at the time, hearing gunfire in the streets regularly, getting stopped at checkpoints every 10K, so I don't see how the possibilities in Mexico City could be worse. I think we were far more likely to get killed by a drunk driver going the wrong way down a rickety bridge in the Sierra Madre.
seriesfinale

Postby Shalabi » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:45 pm

Look at all these adventurous boarders over here
Shalabi

Postby seriesfinale » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:50 pm

Haha, yeah, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was dodging gunfire on holiday in Cambodia or whatever, just, I don't see how Mexico City would be any more dangerous than any other part of the country that has the drug war on its periphery.
seriesfinale

Postby joe » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:52 pm

Yeah when I went to Mexico we bused over the boarder at Nuevo Laredo ultimately to Monterrey. I was way more uneasy about that part of the trip than the days in DF
joe

Postby boddy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:52 pm

i spent five days at this hostel http://www.hostalcentrohistoricoregina.com/ last year. i'd totally recommend it

walk around everywhere and eat food from any street vendor or pastry shop that smells good. drink some pulque and mezcal. i think i ate most of the stuff listed here http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/anthony-bourdain/travel-guides/mexico-2

dude you gotta speak some spanish otherwise you're gonna have a hard time doing ordinary stuff around town
boddy

Postby joe » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:53 pm

boddy wrote:dude you gotta speak some spanish otherwise you're gonna have a hard time doing ordinary stuff around town

yeah brush up on your spanish best you can
joe

Postby big zorb » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:14 pm

I spoke some Spanish, but I was also befriended by a lot of locals who cleared things up when I was a bit iffy.

Pulque is good but definitely get it with cinnemon or something, there's a place on Ave Insurgentes Sur that has really good pulque, I'll check my notes.

Hostelwise as I said I can recommend you a really good spot but it's in La Condesa and if you're going to be doing stuff in the Centro maybe stay around there, as much as I love Condesa.

Also as always I want to stress that while these are only my own experiences, I was absolutely fucked on racilla several times and walking alone at 3 AM and nobody ever did shit to me.
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby big zorb » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:27 pm

oh duh definitely eat some pozole

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby def from above » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:29 pm

I've only been there on a couple short trips years ago but i cant wait to return (probably summer 2015).

As anywhere in mexico, (as said above) drink bottled water and eat everything. Especially in DF, street food is the best food. This thread is pretty comprehensive so far. I'd only add that if youre into clubbing and cute stores, check out the Zona Rosa. Go to Bellas Artes. Also, check out the centro for the Zocalo, Catedral, and some exposed ruins of Tenochtitlán. Also, the center has a bunch of cool things to see, like old candy shops or in one part, statues of La Santa Muerte on every other corner.

You'll have a blast.
What had happen was...
def from above

Postby big zorb » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:47 pm

def from above wrote:I've only been there on a couple short trips years ago but i cant wait to return (probably summer 2015).

As anywhere in mexico, (as said above) drink bottled water and eat everything. Especially in DF, street food is the best food. This thread is pretty comprehensive so far. I'd only add that if youre into clubbing and cute stores, check out the Zona Rosa. Go to Bellas Artes. Also, check out the centro for the Zocalo, Catedral, and some exposed ruins of Tenochtitlán. Also, the center has a bunch of cool things to see, like old candy shops or in one part, statues of La Santa Muerte on every other corner.

You'll have a blast.

Yeah, the exposed ruins are sweet and that weird little part of the Zocalo you have to walk through to get there is a worthwhile experience. My only engagement with the Zona Rosa is two gay bars this girl I met took me to, I think to try and make me be like "omg gays" but they were both a lot of fun.

God I fucking love Mexico City, it's incredible
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby transitive » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:07 pm

I would happily move there, like long-term.
transitive

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....