ever been to Mexico City?

Let's talk hats

Postby joe » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:20 pm

If anyone is planning on the mountains of Oaxaca let me know. I have family from there that own a chill posada
User avatar

joe
 
Posts: 28008
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:14 pm
Location: snake kingdom

Postby joe » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:21 pm

I've never been there during mushroom season but apparently that's a thing there
User avatar

joe
 
Posts: 28008
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:14 pm
Location: snake kingdom

Postby razzle » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:16 pm

Probably going to need Oaxaca and / or Chiapas reccomendations. My gf wants to go for her bday this year.

Was pretty wild having the earthquake a couple weeks ago. We were flying back from Tijuana and were like halfway into our descent when the pilot takes us back up in the sky and says there was an earthquake. Wasnt really freaking out or anything but it was pretty edgy not knowing how bad it was and thinking about joining the Air France thread lol.

Also apparently Bauhaus is playing here at the end of the month. Seems kind of legit too since they just announced a new venue/covid policy but I will believe it when I see it

Also this festival in November should be cool if anyone is coming thru. I cant find like daily details on it but the lineup is pretty solid
https://festival-hipnosis-2021.boletia.com/
Fuzz
Tonstartssbandht
La Luz
La Femme
At least we have
User avatar

razzle
ok
 
Posts: 8320
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:02 am
Location: Hitsville, USA

Postby Getbetter » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:27 pm

I'm getting excited to get out of the states next month to hit up Hyponosis. Anyone else going?
User avatar

Getbetter
 
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:37 pm

Postby harmonica » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:26 pm

i'm also planning a trip to cdmx & oaxaca (4-5 days and ~10 days respectively) in november. hoping for some rad recos too.

i went to cmdx a few years ago and had an amazing time. the one place i will be going back to on day one: https://www.expendiodemaiz.com
User avatar

harmonica
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: toronto

Postby howiep » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:48 pm

Getbetter wrote:I'm getting excited to get out of the states next month to hit up Hyponosis. Anyone else going?


I was making plans to but it looks like with work I won't be able to make it down until like the middle of the month.
User avatar

howiep
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Postby dusky » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:14 pm

for Oaxaca de Juarez I recommend staying somewhere in the vicinity of the north and northwestern side of Centro. Xochimilco, close to Jardin Conzatti, is a pretty hip, very cute and convenient location, or in La Paz near Mercado Sanchez and the best bakery in town, Pan Con Madre. Also nearby the latter location is a really cool bookshop, sometimes music venue, restaurant (with lots of veg options) collective called La Jicara. I really enjoyed my stay in the area. we also stayed in La Jalatlaco which was very cute, but a little sleepy and on the eastern edge of where we really spent most of our city time. worth checking out for sure. the neighborhood and food market around basilica nuestra señora de la soledad, just west of centro, is cool to check out if you have the time.

aside from wondering and discovering the many little gems around town i'd recommend a visit to Centro de las Artes de San Agustín, a really awesome art space just north of town (but make sure they are open, when we went they were going to be closing due to COVID the following week. i would pass up El Tule. it was a bit of a tourist trap and the pretty park with the big tree was completely closed and they had a bunch of boards blocking the view of the tree. really wish i hadn't wasted that time, but might be worth it if the park is open.

there was this really amazing antique store just south of the botanical gardens, i think it's Antigüedades Oaxaca, but i don't exactly recognize the street view. i'm not a picker or anything, but the space was really a trip to just peruse through at least.

Boogie Cafe is cool.

for a fancy dinner i'd highly recommend Tierra del Sol Casa Restaurante. El Escapulario for a cute home-style meal.

one more big rec i will give, if it's not too late: don't look at any photos of the inside of cathedral of Santo Domingo de Guzmán before you go in for the first time.

I went to Monte Alban but apparently got there too late and the max number of visitors was reached by 10am. apparently you need to get there by like 7am...

oh and if you are wanting to get a rad tattoo, hit up the amazing Mica Tzara
User avatar

dusky
 
Posts: 7166
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: up your butt

Postby razzle » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:21 pm

Getbetter wrote:I'm getting excited to get out of the states next month to hit up Hyponosis. Anyone else going?


Im planning to go but having a hard time figuring out the schedule. Like I thoughy I read a couple nights would be at the club and a day would be at the park but now I realize I may have made that up

And thanks dusky!
At least we have
User avatar

razzle
ok
 
Posts: 8320
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:02 am
Location: Hitsville, USA

Postby harmonica » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:03 am

dusky wrote:for Oaxaca de Juarez I recommend staying somewhere in the vicinity of the north and northwestern side of Centro. Xochimilco, close to Jardin Conzatti, is a pretty hip, very cute and convenient location, or in La Paz near Mercado Sanchez and the best bakery in town, Pan Con Madre. Also nearby the latter location is a really cool bookshop, sometimes music venue, restaurant (with lots of veg options) collective called La Jicara. I really enjoyed my stay in the area. we also stayed in La Jalatlaco which was very cute, but a little sleepy and on the eastern edge of where we really spent most of our city time. worth checking out for sure. the neighborhood and food market around basilica nuestra señora de la soledad, just west of centro, is cool to check out if you have the time.

aside from wondering and discovering the many little gems around town i'd recommend a visit to Centro de las Artes de San Agustín, a really awesome art space just north of town (but make sure they are open, when we went they were going to be closing due to COVID the following week. i would pass up El Tule. it was a bit of a tourist trap and the pretty park with the big tree was completely closed and they had a bunch of boards blocking the view of the tree. really wish i hadn't wasted that time, but might be worth it if the park is open.

there was this really amazing antique store just south of the botanical gardens, i think it's Antigüedades Oaxaca, but i don't exactly recognize the street view. i'm not a picker or anything, but the space was really a trip to just peruse through at least.

Boogie Cafe is cool.

for a fancy dinner i'd highly recommend Tierra del Sol Casa Restaurante. El Escapulario for a cute home-style meal.

one more big rec i will give, if it's not too late: don't look at any photos of the inside of cathedral of Santo Domingo de Guzmán before you go in for the first time.

I went to Monte Alban but apparently got there too late and the max number of visitors was reached by 10am. apparently you need to get there by like 7am...

oh and if you are wanting to get a rad tattoo, hit up the amazing Mica Tzara

thanks so much for this!

does anyone know if Hierve al Agua is open these days?
User avatar

harmonica
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: toronto

Postby Getbetter » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:23 pm

I ended up in the van to our hotels with Tonstartssbandht. Super nice dudes. Enough to invite them come hang out with the group cdmx bands im friends with tonight. Dont be shy and come say hi at Hypnosis. ill be doing visuals with Mad Alchemy on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
User avatar

Getbetter
 
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:37 pm

Postby dusky » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:43 pm

harmonica wrote:
does anyone know if Hierve al Agua is open these days?


no, it's closed for the foreseeable future. something about a dispute between the government and the indigenous community there. apparently it was getting thrashed by tourists, so good on them.
User avatar

dusky
 
Posts: 7166
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: up your butt

Postby razzle » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:49 pm

Getbetter wrote:I ended up in the van to our hotels with Tonstartssbandht. Super nice dudes. Enough to invite them come hang out with the group cdmx bands im friends with tonight. Dont be shy and come say hi at Hypnosis. ill be doing visuals with Mad Alchemy on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.


Sweet I should be there Saturday. That is the main date right? What band are you working with if you dont mind ny asking?

Also I have an appointment to get residency here in December. Apparently they are cracking down on tourism visas and not giving the full 180 days. Its on secondhand from FB groups but just an FYI if anyone was planning on coming
At least we have
User avatar

razzle
ok
 
Posts: 8320
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:02 am
Location: Hitsville, USA

Postby folkface » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:04 pm

Going to Tulum in a couple weeks, anyone have any good recs for food/activities?
User avatar

folkface
 
Posts: 2179
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:50 pm

Postby Getbetter » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:21 am

Im part of the main stage visuals crew. Festival usually work like this, hey we have visuals artist incase you want them or bring your own. So i cant confirm what bands till it happens and i just improv off it.
User avatar

Getbetter
 
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:37 pm

Postby razzle » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:13 pm

Ah sweet well looking forward to it. Had a blast two years ago. Saw Mint Field live a couple months ago and they were pretty rad.
At least we have
User avatar

razzle
ok
 
Posts: 8320
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:02 am
Location: Hitsville, USA

Postby razzle » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:15 pm

folkface wrote:Going to Tulum in a couple weeks, anyone have any good recs for food/activities?
ive never beem but i would imagine some other boarders have. Went to Xcaret last week and its pretty touristy but the cave rivers and show were a lot of fun
At least we have
User avatar

razzle
ok
 
Posts: 8320
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:02 am
Location: Hitsville, USA

Postby normal forest » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:19 pm

I was in tulum a few years ago, my friends got some overly huge mansion with a swimming pool on airbnb for almost nothing

I mostly remember the cenotes and the archeological sites being really cool
User avatar

normal forest
 
Posts: 1954
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:22 pm
Location: see above

Postby dosbrains » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:23 pm

Went to Tulum right before the pandemic started for a wedding. It's kind of a clubby yoga wellness hell, but you can definitely find some interesting things to do there. Arca on the main strip was really good for food and drinks, but definitely as expensive as any nice restaurant you'd find in a major US city.

We did this one boat tour of a lagoon at this nature preserve about 20 minutes south of Tulum that was awesome. It was a little bit complicated to figure out, as you had to walk through some ruins and a jungle for a bit to get to the water, but definitely worth it. You finish by getting out of the boat and floating down these Mayan-dug canals through a big mangrove, which was probably my favorite part of the trip. We convinced other people that were at the wedding to to do this as well, and they all loved it. Here are some very complicated instructions: https://www.roamingaroundtheworld.com/how-to-visit-sian-kaan-biosphere-preserve/
User avatar

dosbrains
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:32 am

Postby Getbetter » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:08 pm

Por siempre vegana 2 is the spot for amazing vegan tacos. Gracias Madre is great too but this better.
User avatar

Getbetter
 
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:37 pm

Postby folkface » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:22 pm

dosbrains wrote:Went to Tulum right before the pandemic started for a wedding. It's kind of a clubby yoga wellness hell, but you can definitely find some interesting things to do there. Arca on the main strip was really good for food and drinks, but definitely as expensive as any nice restaurant you'd find in a major US city.

We did this one boat tour of a lagoon at this nature preserve about 20 minutes south of Tulum that was awesome. It was a little bit complicated to figure out, as you had to walk through some ruins and a jungle for a bit to get to the water, but definitely worth it. You finish by getting out of the boat and floating down these Mayan-dug canals through a big mangrove, which was probably my favorite part of the trip. We convinced other people that were at the wedding to to do this as well, and they all loved it. Here are some very complicated instructions: https://www.roamingaroundtheworld.com/how-to-visit-sian-kaan-biosphere-preserve/


Crazy that you say this. We're going for the memorial of a friend of ours and this is where they're holding the ceremony. Should be tremendously beautiful.

Any good off the beaten track cenotes or other little towns, were not super into the clubby yoga vibe and are trying to explore real mexico without much tourists if possible.
User avatar

folkface
 
Posts: 2179
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:50 pm

Postby excellent poster » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:39 pm

Can anyone give me recommendations for things to do and places to eat in Merida? I'll be going in a few weeks with my gf
User avatar

excellent poster
 
Posts: 2788
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: making out like it's the end of the world

Postby gauchebag » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:39 pm

i'm thinking of january 18-30 in Mexico City but don't know if i'm better served taking some of that time and going somewhere else.

what do the mexico experts think?

excited to track back through this thread
User avatar

gauchebag
 
Posts: 8638
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Postby dusky » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:49 pm

gauchebag wrote:i'm thinking of january 18-30 in Mexico City but don't know if i'm better served taking some of that time and going somewhere else.

what do the mexico experts think?

excited to track back through this thread


yeah go to Guanajuato for 3 days. Dolores Hidalgo and San Miguel are right there too. only been to SM and it's a bit touristy, but super beautiful and the Sanctuary of Atotonilco nearby is amazing.
User avatar

dusky
 
Posts: 7166
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: up your butt

Postby razzle » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:58 pm

Yeah 12 days is probably mostly enough in CDMX and maybe one side trip. Would second Guananuato as a day trip. San Miguel is def super touristy but I did enjoy walking around there for a day. Queretaro and Puebla arent too far but theyre a little more similar to CDMX. You could also do Otomi Cultural Center and Valle de Bravo in a weekend.

I reqlly want to travel more but my Spanish is still pretty poor and we are still relatively cautious about COVID
At least we have
User avatar

razzle
ok
 
Posts: 8320
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:02 am
Location: Hitsville, USA

Postby folkface » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:03 pm

excellent poster wrote:Can anyone give me recommendations for things to do and places to eat in Merida? I'll be going in a few weeks with my gf


We had an incredible time in Merida about 2 years ago, a beautiful part of Mexico. There was a great ceviche place called Marlin Azul. A awesome agua fresca spot really close to the main plaza in the centro. A really awesome cheap street food place, Gorditas Dona Gorda, a awesome tacos at Wayan'e.

I love Merida so much, if you have a rental car i recommend driving an hour or so to Progreso a tiny little town right on the beach, we had great food and basically found a private little beach spot. There's a pink salt water lagoon out near the Progreso area as well, it's super beautiful.

Shoot me a PM and i can try to find more specifics if you'd like.
User avatar

folkface
 
Posts: 2179
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:50 pm

Postby excellent poster » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:29 pm

Awesome, thanks for the recs folkface. We won't be renting a car but as far as I can tell you can Uber to Progreso for pretty cheap. Is that salt mine a walkable distance?

I definitely wanna see Chichen Itza, swim in some cenotes, go out to Progreso for a day trip
User avatar

excellent poster
 
Posts: 2788
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: making out like it's the end of the world

Postby crime » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:03 pm

Spending my last night in Cozumel right now. (and negative covid test, I get to go home!)

Me and my partner stayed in a good private hostel that was decently far from the cruise ship harbor. We went to El Pique a lot and got beer from either Super Aki or a window corner store. But sales end at 10.

We got a Nissan March for 50/day all covered through the hostel, but after doing the southern loop, it's like do we want to stop at any of these Bob Marley fake rastafari beach clubs? It helped though, since we took it to San Gervasio too. And while the cabs have a solid union and constant fares, it was nice to have a car.

Snorkeling is cool. It's creepy to look out into the dark blue distance, but lots of fun.

I dunno who I'm writing this for. Cozumel is a big cruise ship destination and we flew in. It's absolutely touristy, but I'd go back sometime.

We wanted to see Chichen Itza, but the logistics of ferry and 3 hour drive would've been a lot. We're looking at either Merida or Cancun next time whenever.
User avatar

crime
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:59 pm

Postby big zorb » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:18 pm

I have weird Christian relatives in Merida. I should go see them sometime. If I get in to grad school again and decide to go this time I want to spend most of the summer in Mexico. I think the plan is like, Tijuana, Baja, Sinatra, Mexico City, Oaxaca, the Yucatan. Where else? Juarez? Urupan? Veracruz?
Last edited by big zorb on Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
User avatar

big zorb
smiling drinker
 
Posts: 53159
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am

Postby big zorb » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:20 pm

I'm trying to get boarder ecto to go to mazatlán with me in february
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
User avatar

big zorb
smiling drinker
 
Posts: 53159
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am

Postby crime » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:35 pm

What sucks a lot in cozumel is tourists walking around maskless like a hurricane and pandemic didn't just wipe out their industry.

It's not that hard!

Like the locals are better about it, be a good guest
User avatar

crime
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:59 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Hat Zone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ANU, carrion, danno, Dr. Munir Xochipillicueponi Quetzalkanbalam, Eyeball Kid, guidance, hbb, imagine guggers, joe, jon, launchpad, Link, Lucky, nicknap, nocents, nosebleeds, rankoutsider, scrumptown, Slay Da Pink Fleshy Beast, trampoline and 60 guests