Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby big zorb » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:25 pm

chowder julius wrote:it's crazy how few smokers there are here. i wonder why that is? i expected it to be like europe in that regard but it's not. i see the kids selling cigarettes but who is buying them?? a mystery

it's all just for me
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby Bernie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:33 pm

I want to go to cdmx so damn bad
Bernie
Mayonnaise Boy

Postby powderfinger » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:31 pm

"la cuenta por favor" has got to be the most essential phrase. Getting out of restaurants in Mexico City can be a challenge lol.
powderfinger

Postby chowder julius » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:42 pm

yes lol. i went to a food hall type place where you sit and order from like three different people and they all expect you to yell for them and they each give you separate checks and it was honestly a nightmare for me, a tragically polite and patient person. the food was amaaaaazing tho and it's a block from where i'm staying. comedor lucerna. i might actually go back for more tostadas before i turn in. the mango chamoy paleta i had from there was sooooooooo gooooood
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby chowder julius » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:46 pm

also for anyone wondering i have found that this is a fantastic solo female travel destination. nobody has been untoward, it feels safe except for how dark the side streets are at night, people are friendly and i keep having cute experiences with other women here. i ended up sharing an uber from the airport with another solo female traveler from montreal, the paleta girl and i had a cute experience navigating the language barrier and the woman at this brewpub was excited to practice her english with me. my airbnb host is AMAZING but he's czech so idk if he counts
chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:48 pm

it's way more friendly and way less pervy than paris was solo if that's valuable information for anyone
chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:32 pm

the places i went today:

café nin: this is attached to the panaderia rosetta on calle havre so you can get pastries and breakfast too. very european, full of beautiful hip tourists. super adorable place

café toscano at plaza rio de janeiro. meant to go to buna next door but realized hours later i had the wrong spot lol. also very european with the sidewalk seating overlooking the plaza and big open doors. i just had coffee and juice here, can't speak to the food

goodbye folk vintage boutique. fun curation and the owner was really friendly, but everything was so fucking expensive omg. thrifted polyester for $80 usd are u kidding

under the volcano books. closed because of the bank holiday. will return

museo soumaya. free, so that was nice. gift shop sucked. i love museum gift shops so that you was a bummer. ripoff of the guggenheim concept. didn't care for the way items were arranged. full of amazing art but just weirdly underwhelming all things considered

comedor lucerna. review above lol. highly instgrammable

la ciudadela. this place is huge and can be awkward if you're a highly polite person who doesn't speak spanish. i bought lots of fun souvenirs and stuff for my apartment and will go back for more. tried haggling over ten pesos and was shut down. fair.

the plaza in front of the palacio de belles artes. museum was closed for the holiday but this was great people watching. so many people omfg. walking through the big park next to it at night was really lovely!!

hop: the beer experience. lol this is underneath my airbnb otherwise I would not seek it out. tiny american style brewpub on a plaza with tons of fresh air. not really worth seeking out but if you just want some beer in a lowkey spot this is it. they were showing the super bowl last night but i did not come down for it. i have been the only person here most of my time here

i did so much gd stuff today!!!
chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:32 pm

doble
chowder julius

Postby R C » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:44 pm

just wanted to say CJ, that I'm enjoying the hell out of your instagram at the moment. I mean, I always do, but your trip looks fucking great
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."
R C

Postby chowder julius » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:26 pm

thank you!!! this is such a freaking beautiful city!!

also shout the fuck out to klint for directing me to the chilaquiles sandwich lady. i was literally shedding tears while eating the sandwich sitting on a sidewalk planter while waves of commuters walked by lolol
chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:31 pm

sitting outside my second huge beautiful bookstore today (libreria rosario castellanos and now libreria porrua) distraught to be surrounded by so many books i can't read :cry: i went to under the volcano and was underwhelmed tho I did pick up something

i took a kpin for fun this morning and kept trying to speak french at everyone
chowder julius

Postby big zorb » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:39 pm

chilaquiles torta is fucking next level, my word
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby laserblast » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:40 pm

i think about the chilaquiles torta like once a week
blurst of times wrote:everything laserblast said is true
laserblast

Postby laserblast » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:41 pm

under the volcano is small but it's well curated and the fella and i had a good conversation about riddley walker so i gotta stan for it
laserblast

Postby viachicago » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:45 pm

laserblast wrote:under the volcano is small but it's well curated and the fella and i had a good conversation about riddley walker so i gotta stan for it

i honestly felt like it was on par with any 2nd tier used shop in any major city. dont really get it unless you like, happen to live there and want access to english language lit. as a tourist i wouldnt go out of my way but thats me.
viachicago

Postby big zorb » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:48 pm

cj go to the libreria del fondo de cultural economica

it's a block away from the chilaquiles lady
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby laserblast » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:50 pm

viachicago wrote:
laserblast wrote:under the volcano is small but it's well curated and the fella and i had a good conversation about riddley walker so i gotta stan for it

i honestly felt like it was on par with any 2nd tier used shop in any major city. dont really get it unless you like, happen to live there and want access to english language lit. as a tourist i wouldnt go out of my way but thats me.

i mean, yah. as a tourist i basically go out of my way for any bookstore and usually find myself more disappointed. ymmv obviously
laserblast

Postby chowder julius » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:54 pm

i went to that one! it had a different name on my Google. that's the first one I was at.

under the volcano was definitely a second tier used bookstore imho but bookstore tourism is a huge MO for me so i didn't mind it. probably the best part of the experience was taking a hundred kpin'd out selfies while sipping espresso at milo's waiting for it to open
chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:55 pm

worst part of this trip is that i'm puffy from pms so none of my selfies are cute :evil:
chowder julius

Postby viachicago » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:56 pm

The bathrooms there were the highlight
viachicago

Postby big zorb » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:59 pm

i am gonna get some mexican food delivered because of this damn thread and i am gonna be pissed off at what i get
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby chowder julius » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:01 pm

big zorb wrote:i am gonna get some mexican food delivered because of this damn thread and i am gonna be pissed off at what i get

at least you have mexican food to have delivered. i am SO fucked when i get back to dc
chowder julius

Postby big zorb » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:03 pm

yeah it's very surprising but the best al pastor i have ever had outside of mexico city is in a strip mall on the east side of des moines
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby powderfinger » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:01 pm

chowder julius wrote:thank you!!! this is such a freaking beautiful city!!

also shout the fuck out to klint for directing me to the chilaquiles sandwich lady. i was literally shedding tears while eating the sandwich sitting on a sidewalk planter while waves of commuters walked by lolol

hell yeah that sandwich is so fuckin' good
powderfinger

Postby chowder julius » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:21 am

lol so one of the naughty cats at my airbnb chewed through my usb-c charging cable and my usb-c earbuds. fortunately i have a (slow ass) huge battery pack with a usb/usb-c cable and big bluetooth headphones, but i would like to find replacements if i can for walking around here on my last day. any ideas? i tried sanborns and office depot but neither had usb-c earbuds. they might have a charger cable--i'll look again. mostly really just want some damn earbuds. feel way too conspicuous walking around with goofy $300 headphones on
chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:30 am

i guess i could get bluetooth earbuds but i really don't want to spend $35 on something with 6 hours of battery life
chowder julius

Postby big zorb » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:34 am

Hmmm
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby funkfunkfunk » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:35 am

the coffee and pastries at buna are amaaaaazing.

if you're there on the weekend hit El Real Under for a trip. I went to tacos orizaba must have been 3 times in the week I was there. There are many very good small galleries around town which are great when you burn out on museums. You're makibg me want to go back!
jockesh or jakesh in farsi means pimp and unlike american in farsi pimp is a big insult and commonly applied to scoundrels and bad people like bush jr and i dont know of a word for actual jocks i dont think its a thing in iran but also anyway i wanted to say i believe in nothing
funkfunkfunk

Postby big zorb » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:39 am

CJ I don't have any specific ideas outside of big box stores...maybe somewhere on insurgentes?
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby big zorb » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:41 am

If you find yourself in napoles there's a best buy in the ground floor of the Mexico wtc lol
big zorb
smiling drinker

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....