Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby futurist » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:34 am

got home from work wasted tonight and watched it again i cant believe ive got to wait TWO WEEKS to see what the fucking comes after this
futurist

Postby chargie » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:27 am

awesome episodeeee
trouble wrote:e equals can't c color
chargie

Postby RIXX » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:26 am

futurist wrote:got home from work wasted tonight and watched it again i cant believe ive got to wait TWO WEEKS to see what the fucking comes after this

yea this is why i'm always a lil hesitant to watch leaked episodes of stuff because the two week wait sucks. but...i gotta watch
RIXX

Postby kid8 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:39 am

Wait are they gonna postpone the regular schedule cause of christmas/ new year? Or does that only happen when it lands on the actual day?
Oh, I'm a failure, because i haven't got a brain.
kid8
killer

Postby bunejug » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:17 am

in this video farrah reveals that spent 20k on her looks for this season. that gives me vicarious anxiety, especially because she only lasted two episodes. I read elsewhere that gia paid a designer 16k upfront and got half-finished looks in return. I'm curious how much the season 1 queens spent, if anything, on specific looks for drag race.

look at alyssa's home in this architectural digest (lol) special. the show gives queens the platform to become rich, but I wonder how many end up in insurmountable debt. a common grievance lobbed at this season is queens stubbornly cashing in on a catch phrase or meme, especially those from newer seasons. it's probably because they're in serious debt and need to sell as much merch and tour tickets as possible in the short window between their season and the next one.

in the past I've compared the show's evolution to gaga's career as they both emerged in 2009. ru used to point at political paradigm shifts and how they open or close doors for her career. she rose to fame in the 90s, retreated during bush's presidency, and then became a gay media mogul during the obama years. this hasn't slowed down with trump, though. if anything, the show is more visible now than ever before. the third major historical event that neatly maps onto the same timeframe as drag race is the economic recession and subsequent recovery. what we're witnessing now with queens taking on massive amounts of debt in a way reminds me of the subprime mortgage crisis.

similar to how people who had never bought houses suddenly were incentivized to do so in the 2000s, queens, who traditionally were poking fun at feminine beauty standards, are now expected to have a stock of lacefronts and a wardrobe of designer shoes and dresses. 99% of these queens are not going to become the next alaska, bianca or trixie. most will never get cast on the show, and for the few that are cast each year, at least half of them will become irrelevant after their elimination. laganja announced last week that she's (professionally) retiring from drag because of how financially expensive, physically painful and emotionally draining it's become. and yet more and more (instagram-ready) queens are popping up while the gay bars that employ them are shuttering.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, but the show continues to grow. it feels like there are more straight viewers than queer ones in 2018. maybe that's a good thing and prove that it's not a fad. these performers might have a lifelong career ahead of them, though alaska, bianca and trixie have all hinted at stopping soon. otoh, maybe the willam and shangela cameos in a star is born are the culmination of a decade-long cultural shift underpinned by economic motives and will be remembered as the pinnacle of drag. maybe this market has already begun to dry up.

at this point I'm more interested in the phenomenon of drag race rather than the show's content. I'm fascinated what will happen to the art of drag when the show inevitably ends or fades into irrelevance. lol sorry if you read all of this, I just wanted to brainstorm a bit and am curious what others think.
bunejug

Postby jarsilver » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:09 am

just dance came out in 2008 :P

I think that stuff is all pretty standard for show business. the only thing that concerns me is the young people starting out with inflated expectations of what a drag career is because of drag race when it's still a very narrow lane. fundamentally though this dynamic is about the same as anyone else who tries to become famous through instagram/youtube etc.
jarsilver

Postby galactagogue » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:16 pm

yeah that makes me think about the money that's being injected into so much drag rn. being a crafty queen is more and more a kind of niche aesthetic v expected.
I know what you did last summer, but i just don't give a shit
galactagogue

Postby Alexis » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:10 am

damn mellow that post makes a lot of sense!
im loving this season and knowing who goes home after watching the leaked episode i feel we can really get down to the nitty gritty with these queens because now any of these queens could win and I'd be content with it it's such a great group of girls also the lipsyncs/songs have been so good!!

im sure some of yall have seen some of these but these tweets crack me up

Alexis

Postby RIXX » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:56 am

nooo mega downloaded all the season 1 hd uploads on fuzzconews

does anyone else have a resource for season 1 downloads?? pls & thx
RIXX

Postby Alexis » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:16 pm

im so excited for this group of girls after last nights ep im loving the lip sync songs they have done so far just soooooo good
in my opinion i think the top 3 will be: Valentina, Trinity & Naomi what do yall think?
i already like this allstars far more than season 3
Alexis

Postby lightfoot » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:36 pm

really feel like manilla is the one to beat rn

i have her, trinity, and monique in the top 3
lightfoot

Postby futurist » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:12 am

i've got a beautiful hollywood queen coming to host a viewing party next week at my bar.

should i have a drink special??? what would yall wanna drink while watching this all unfold??
futurist

Postby futurist » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:17 am

i mean, i don't want to have like a shitty pun name cocktail special. just something people enjoy i can push for the night lol.

i only drink whiskey or cheap beer when i'm at the bar so i don't know what i should feature.
futurist

Postby Gussie Fink-Nottle » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:49 am

Rewatching the old seasons makes me so glad Lucian Piane went mental and got unceremoniously dropped by the show. He was never helpful or positive when they went for sessions with him and his lyrics always sounded like he wrote them the night before shooting.
It is mating season for the pterosaurs, and this well-endowed male wants YOU to fly with him.
Gussie Fink-Nottle

Postby bunejug » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:32 pm

futurist wrote:i've got a beautiful hollywood queen coming to host a viewing party next week at my bar.

should i have a drink special??? what would yall wanna drink while watching this all unfold??

if the queen does shows after you could coordinate a drink special to incentivize ppl to stay! I hate when everyone clears a bar after the episode ends.
bunejug

Postby futurist » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:27 pm

bunejug wrote:
futurist wrote:i've got a beautiful hollywood queen coming to host a viewing party next week at my bar.

if the queen does shows after you could coordinate a drink special to incentivize ppl to stay! I hate when everyone clears a bar after the episode ends.

good idea!
futurist

Postby Jimmy Firecracker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:00 pm

Manila is my favorite. I loved the talent show, and her lipsync sealed the deal.
Jimmy Firecracker

Postby futurist » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:28 pm

lol at hennyToggle Spoiler winning the acting challenge
futurist

Postby RIXX » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:19 pm

This episode features Ru and the other judges doing ASMR triggers
RIXX

Postby kid8 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:33 pm

link anywhere?
Oh, I'm a failure, because i haven't got a brain.
kid8
killer

Postby sassafras socks » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:33 am

i seriously cannot stand trinity.
sassafras socks

Postby scrambled » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:35 am

sassafras socks wrote:i seriously cannot stand trinity.

i liked her more in season 9 where she seemed a big rougher around the edges. right now she's like a weird mix of chad michaels in terms of polish/uncoolness and alaska in terms of calculation/giving RPDR what it wants? i dunno.

i like really don't think this was a good look for latrice. or manilla tbh.Toggle Spoiler not that it matters really but like calm down.
scrambled

Postby Jimmy Firecracker » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:26 am

i think u nailed it scrambled
trinity has the formula on lockdown
i turned sour on her after she had a confessional talking about how "cheap" monet exchange's drag looks, considering i've been thinking about that long junebug post about the finances of competing
Jimmy Firecracker

Postby futurist » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:21 am

scrambled wrote:
sassafras socks wrote:i like really don't think this was a good look for latrice. or manilla tbh.Toggle Spoiler not that it matters really but like calm down.

lol... worse than alaska saving roxxy for letting her borrow a tanktop?
futurist

Postby mellowgold » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:58 am

this season more than ever i feel like the judges and audience (me) are on totally diff pages w/r/t who is in the top. i thought trinity and valentina were gonna be top 2?
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby RIXX » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:30 am

mellowgold wrote:this season more than ever i feel like the judges and audience (me) are on totally diff pages w/r/t who is in the top. i thought trinity and valentina were gonna be top 2?

same. i actually love trinity this season lol
RIXX

Postby mellowgold » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:31 am

yeah my love for trinity has remained the same!
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby lightfoot » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:44 am

omg i fucking loved valentina's look so so so so much
lightfoot

Postby Kenny » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:48 am

Didn't like Valentina's runway at all, but at least it wasn't as boring as Monique bringing up BROWN COW STUNNING again... and how many times is Trinity gonna say "Where are the jokes" this season
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby chowder julius » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:50 am

the bar went wild for brown cow stunning. i don't like this show anymore
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....