I like the chair you put your amp on vs the chair you use to sit bro
Fear is an illusion!
mariavesperi

Postby mariavesperi » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:11 am

Damn, I'm a poet.
Fear is an illusion!
mariavesperi

Postby bro tones » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:28 am

lol everyone makes fun of my chair. it’s been with me a long time.
benj wrote:rest in peace luggii dead ass
bro tones

Postby sympathy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:32 am

Nah that folding chair is awesome
sympathy
ok

Postby tea preacher » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:44 am

So the more I play through my new amp (Orange Crush 20rt) I’m not too stoked about the tone. That might be the small speaker size or it might be because in a previous life I was playing through a Hot Rod Deluxe and was spoiled by that.

After reading lots of shit and watching countless YouTube reviews I still can’t tell where I should start with pedals - booster? Overdrive? Since it doesn’t have tubes does a tube screamer not make much sense because there are no tubes to drive? Am I better off just saving up for a small tube amp? I definitely don’t have the pocket change to drop hundreds of dollars on a Hot Rod. But if I’m disciplined until the end of year could probably swing a used one.

It doesn’t help that I’m also playing my jazz bass every day and want to get a Fender Rumble (currently using a crappy 10 watt Peavey).
you'll never hear me talk about one day getting out
tea preacher

Postby brittle » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:33 am

I've never used an OD pedal with a solid state amp, but I've always been super curious to see how it works.

Doesn't seem like they'd play well together, but who knows.

My roommate used to play a tube screamer with a frontman 112, and it sounded just fine, so...
Last edited by brittle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby tea preacher » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:36 am

Yeah I guess worst case scenario I’m out $100 for the tube screamer and if it doesn’t sound good I can either sell it or hold on to it for when I upgrade the amp.
you'll never hear me talk about one day getting out
tea preacher

Postby Slay Da Pink Fleshy Beast » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:55 pm

Slay Da Pink Fleshy Beast

Postby sympathy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:26 pm

NONE OF US ARE GONNA MAKE IT
sympathy
ok

Postby Grey Poupon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:02 pm

umm I want to learn how do to rhythm with I guess bluesy little lead fragments like these guys

one way to do this is download a bunch of tabs but I dunno what they're doing

do I just learn some chuck berry licks and transfer that to new york dolls style stuff?
I'm really bad at figuring out how to go from a chord to a lick using the chord notes and pentatonic shape or whatever
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby Gibson Rickenbacker » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:59 pm

Grey Poupon wrote:

umm I want to learn how do to rhythm with I guess bluesy little lead fragments like these guys

one way to do this is download a bunch of tabs but I dunno what they're doing

do I just learn some chuck berry licks and transfer that to new york dolls style stuff?
I'm really bad at figuring out how to go from a chord to a lick using the chord notes and pentatonic shape or whatever

My playing ackground self taught playing for 16 years.

Yeah you can do that. Working out licks etc comes with time I've found, sometimes I'll sit listening to a song just picking notes from whatever chord progression the song is and sometimes fluke the riff/licks.

The beauty of the internet now is to watch bands play stuff live, or find someone doing covers and work out from there.

Not sure if this helps:

Gibson Rickenbacker

Postby brittle » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:40 am

yeah, once you figure out the concept, the actual playing is fairly easy.

you basically just need to know what key your riffs are in, and where those notes land depending on what fret the chord you're fingering is in.

looks like he's doing his licks in Em, so just know where those notes lie in relation to the D A and E barre chords as you play them.

or more properly, if he's playing a D or A chords, he wants to use position 3, when he's hanging out on the E chord, he's adding notes from the 4th position and when he really wants to wail, he goes up to 1st position on the 12th fret, because that's the fastest and most familiar for most people.
Last edited by brittle on Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby brittle » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:50 am

sorry if that's a little too first day of class. i know that's the first thing a lot of guitarists ever learn.

just that i personally never even considered that i should make a point to learn it until i'd been playing for like 15 years, and i think that's probably pretty common for a lot people who came up liking and playing 'weirder' music.
brittle

Postby brittle » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:25 am

brittle wrote:yeah, once you figure out the concept, the actual playing is fairly easy.

you basically just need to know what key your riffs are in, and where those notes land depending on around the chord you're fingering is in.

looks like he's doing his licks in Em, so just know where those notes lie in relation to the D A and E barre chords as you play them.

or more properly, if he's playing a D or A chords, he wants to use position 3, when he's hanging out on the E chord, he's adding notes from the 4th position and when he really wants to wail, he goes up to 1st position on the 12th fret, because that's the fastest and most familiar for most people.

also, at the risk of eliciting more eyerolls, just another thing that took me like 15 years to don don. you don't necessarily have to memorize each figure, once you realize that the notes in the up-neck frets of position 1 are down-neck notes of position 2, and so on. they click together like good tetris pieces.
brittle

Postby brittle » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:37 am

....a few other cheats that i used before i realized there was a chart to learn:
position 2 is a major scale with all the half steps left out

and position 4 is position 1 starting on the A string instead of the E string.

but yeah, tl;dr you can pick any 3 or 4 go-to notes to goose depending on whatever fret the chord you're fingering is in. don't be defeated if you find yourself doing the same patterns over and over again, song after song. everybody does that. that's what gives you "your style"
brittle

Postby kit fox » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:10 pm

just whale around on some hammer ons and throw some bends in

looks like he's playin an Em7 on the 7th fret of the A with a hammer on on the 10th fret on the b string. he seems to be mostly following the vocal rhythm/melody and then for one of the main licks he slides up two frets with his middle finger (from the 9th fret on the D string in the Em7) and does a basic pentatonic with a bend thrown in for flair. once you get used to doing this you'll come up with your own things that sound cool and playing them will be more natural than trying to copy exactly what's being done by someone else. I also love playing an E at the 7th fret on the A string and letting the open E ring out to give it some fullness.

in terms of coming up with your own stuff, personally I can visualize it more easily in terms of G chord shapes laid out up and down the fretboard, which is basically a variation on what position 1 is up there. if you play a G chord, hammering on those spots on the middle strings is a fun way to add some interesting stuff to the chord. so if you're doing power chords on the A string you just look at whatever fret on the low E corresponds to the chord being played (maybe obvious but it will be 5 frets up from the note you're playing and down a string). so for the E in that example its the 12th fret, so when he slides up to 11 he's playing within this box, any notes here are fair game for the lick:

this is the mental shortcut I use, maybe it'll help someone. i've never been able to internalize the positions really. and like gibson rickenbacker said, finding people doing covers of songs you're interested in is a great way to kickstart this process. even though sometimes I get really mad when I'm struggling with a song and find a video of some god damn teen just annihilating it.
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby Gibson Rickenbacker » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:43 pm

brittle wrote:also, at the risk of eliciting more eyerolls, just another thing that took me like 15 years to don don. you don't necessarily have to memorize each figure, once you realize that the notes in the up-neck frets of position 1 are down-neck notes of position 2, and so on. they click together like good tetris pieces.

Also, memorising the chords in different shapes (eg: D shape on frets xx0787 is G etc) helps in this regard as well.
Gibson Rickenbacker

Postby Gibson Rickenbacker » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:39 pm

kit fox wrote: like gibson rickenbacker said, finding people doing covers of songs you're interested in is a great way to kickstart this process. even though sometimes I get really mad when I'm struggling with a song and find a video of some god damn teen just annihilating it.

Yep there's that caveat. Also if they've recorded it 10 years ago in say 240p or something you can't make sense of. Recently I found one I couldn't make it through becuase the guys fingernails were fucking disgusting.
Gibson Rickenbacker

Postby Grey Poupon » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:08 am

thanks brittle :) :)

some of it that I know but it is nice to do a refresher because it gives me a kinda 'ok let's focus and practise [xxxxxx]' when I'm sorta feeling lost
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby Gibson Rickenbacker » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:41 pm

Grey Poupon wrote:thanks brittle :) :)

some of it that I know but it is nice to do a refresher because it gives me a kinda 'ok let's focus and practise [xxxxxx]' when I'm sorta feeling lost

Probably should have asked earlier, how long have you been playing for?
Gibson Rickenbacker

Postby jewels » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:42 am

I cleaned my wah, and while it crackles way less than it used to, I think I cleaned off whatever grease was supposed to be there make the wah rock smoothly. Any idea what that material was that I should put back on the rocking gear?
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby DasLofGang » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:49 am

lithium grease, you can get it in a little tub at any hardware store
heaven’s full of murderers
DasLofGang

Postby jewels » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:52 am

DasLofGang wrote:lithium grease, you can get it in a little tub at any hardware store

awesome, thanks!
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....