Ryan Gosling IS Blade Runner

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Riverchrist » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:14 pm

Stab the police unicorn.

Riverchrist

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:23 pm

That poster looks like those gauche mondo wannabe hack artist posters that show up on designer dork tumblr
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby rixx » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:30 pm

rixx

Postby Seamus » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:32 pm

I can't wait to hate this movie
Thanks, admin.

Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

monkey d stiltzkin wrote:pure poppycock from Seamus yet again

Seamus

Postby easy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:34 pm

these posters are among the worst I've ever seen

easy
does it

Postby Mandible » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:57 pm

I've been ignoring all of this cause it fills me with dread. Burrowing into the 90s PC game and the esper soundtrack for comfort.
Last edited by Mandible on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mandible

Postby incoherent grunting » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:06 pm

don't watch this
don't even steal it
just ignore it
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby Hal Jordan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:05 am

I will watch it, possibly at the theater
A lamp with a white shade was knocked over and broken. Someone was smoking pot. “This is the pot room!” a young man said.
Hal Jordan

Postby Hal Jordan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:05 am

That is, i will pay money to watch it.
A lamp with a white shade was knocked over and broken. Someone was smoking pot. “This is the pot room!” a young man said.
Hal Jordan

Postby jca » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:09 am

this is gonna own

jca

Postby blurst of times » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:32 am

it's too bad this won't be good

but then again what is?

blurst of times
ride.

Postby Edgar Renteria » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:52 am

this thread is shit, the first official trailer for this is sick, the music is spot on and the visuals and set pieces give me boosebumps...legit curious why people are skeptical of leto as a convincing villain

Edgar Renteria

Postby Honk For Dracula » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:03 am

because we're skeptical of leto as a convincing actor?

Honk For Dracula

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:05 am

Even if he was a convincing actor I'd still feel fight club about his stupid face and shit music
Guy is a charlatan

Says this bitter fuck on the Internet forums
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby Edgar Renteria » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:13 am

yeah who cares, hes got a weird face, i didnt listen to his music, this is gonna own. end thread (until release)

Edgar Renteria

Postby Buddy Glass » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:18 am

It's time for some Color Theory
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.

Buddy Glass

Postby arepa » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:34 am

what a shame this is being directed by the most joyless guy

arepa

Postby spix et chicho » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:40 am

the bummer is the inevitability that this thing has no humor, no sense of history, just a neon-lit aesthetic tumblr ride

the weird thing about Blade Runner that it's easy to forget after every viewing is that it's actually not a movie with no dialogue and only moody acting and moody setpieces. it's got a ton of weird 70s esque jokes and premises. and its aesthetic is as much 1920s Hollywood ghosts as it is wet rain-soaked neon LA. like for some reason in the 70s everyone was really into cabaret jazz and that influenced this movie in a weird way.

but like most of all it's such a good movie that fluked itself into existence that i hate the idea of even using it as source material in a slavish manner. and unconsciously i think we all who love it, love it as much for its limited technological context, the green Ladd Company logo to the Enhance Scene to the matte paintings and on and on. a sequel to this thing made today can only feel cheap because everything feels cheap now. if it can be good, it would find a way to incorporate that feeling of contemporary omnipresent cheapness (see: Twin Peaks s3). but it won't because it has an Moody Aesthetic that's recognizable and easily defined and it will just be that.

i'll eat my words obviously if it somehow manages to be good. i just don't even think that's possible
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ

spix et chicho

Postby i feel fine » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:21 am

it's gonna be bad but i think it will be good for ppl who haven't seen the original film
A I R

i feel fine
i'm ill not sicc

Postby i feel fine » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:27 am

the purists will likely hate it. the kids will see it cos gosling. . . maybe they'll watch the original 30 versions and possibly read a PKD novel
A I R

i feel fine
i'm ill not sicc

Postby Jeremy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:39 am

spix et chicho wrote:the bummer is the inevitability that this thing has no humor, no sense of history, just a neon-lit aesthetic tumblr ride

the weird thing about Blade Runner that it's easy to forget after every viewing is that it's actually not a movie with no dialogue and only moody acting and moody setpieces. it's got a ton of weird 70s esque jokes and premises. and its aesthetic is as much 1920s Hollywood ghosts as it is wet rain-soaked neon LA. like for some reason in the 70s everyone was really into cabaret jazz and that influenced this movie in a weird way.

but like most of all it's such a good movie that fluked itself into existence that i hate the idea of even using it as source material in a slavish manner. and unconsciously i think we all who love it, love it as much for its limited technological context, the green Ladd Company logo to the Enhance Scene to the matte paintings and on and on. a sequel to this thing made today can only feel cheap because everything feels cheap now. if it can be good, it would find a way to incorporate that feeling of contemporary omnipresent cheapness (see: Twin Peaks s3). but it won't because it has an Moody Aesthetic that's recognizable and easily defined and it will just be that.

i'll eat my words obviously if it somehow manages to be good. i just don't even think that's possible

The 854th time I watched this I realized how critical the Ladd Company logo is to the whole experience. Makes you feel like you're watching it on a piece of AV equipment that would exist in the movie.

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:17 am

A certain kind of cyberpunk aesthetic has become so established that the relationship between style and content in formative cyberpunk stuff seems almost totally eclipsed. What distinguishes the subgenre from most SF is the implicit view that technological development really is not socially transformative, even if it offers radical surface-level changes. So you have this new metaphorical vocabulary and this technique of implying these hybridized cultures through little clusters of peripheral detail, but you graft them all over old spy and detective novel plots (with appropriately retrograde social relations driving them). Blade Runner does this so elegantly that it doesn't even seem intentional. So many staples from more optimistic or transformative SF styles exist in it as inverted versions of themselves, unremarked on in the background. It even takes flying cars, the like single thing people think of as emblematic of the Gernsback golden era thing, and identifies them with oppression rather than freedom. But this stuff isn't just not in the movie's writing, it probably couldn't be. The entire thing is to make visible things that we can't see because we're so used to them by making them strange to us but transparent to the characters.

You like can't create the thematic resonance that makes the movie's look so interesting and rewarding to pick apart by aiming at it; you have to get at it through the look itself. But you also can't get the look right justly trying to get the look right.

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:34 am

If anything the fact that we've had like 40 years of insane electronics and IT progress and wound up back in the 30s should make those old themes doubly relevant but mostly what people retain is neon kanji in the rain.

I don't know why I'm spinning all this, I haven't even seen the trailer for this thing.

Jeremy

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:37 am

good posts, i like
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:37 am

blurst of times wrote:it's too bad this won't be good

but then again what is?

but this 1 made me lol

incoherent grunting

Postby relevee » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:45 am

hell yes, jeremy
relevee

Postby saranclaps ultra mode 9000 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:17 pm

This looks fine.

Villeneuve is great if he's 500 feet away from Taylor Sheridan, Jared Leto is a fine actor with a bad band, and Roger Deakins is GOAT.
delgriffith wrote:Quick Google search reveals that I have no idea what I'm talking about.
saranclaps ultra mode 9000

Postby spix et chicho » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:28 pm

trusting saranclaps opinions on Roger Deakins would be like citing a forest design post in a dissertation on David Lynch
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ

spix et chicho

Postby Ersaph » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:46 pm

Sicario and Prisoners were both completely enjoyable to me (Arrival was less so) so whatevs, I'm in
And I feel like this year is really about, just the year of realizing stuff.

Ersaph

Postby Architecture » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:55 pm

nonchalant wrote:

These look like Scholastic Books covers
try the data then reply
Architecture
ok

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley